Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13210503

Subject: "these Trump voters tho (Politico swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"these Trump voters tho (Politico swipe)"

0 compassion for these fools, or for anyone still peddling the "economic anxiety" myth. The ending...damn

LETTER FROM PENNSYLVANIA
Johnstown Never Believed Trump Would Help. They Still Love Him Anyway.
In a depressed former steel town, the president’s promises don’t matter as much as they once did.
By MICHAEL KRUSE November 08, 2017

JOHNSTOWN, Pa.—Pam Schilling is the reason Donald Trump is the president.

Schilling’s personal story is in poignant miniature the story of this area of western Pennsylvania as a whole—one of the long-forgotten, woebegone spots in the middle of the country that gave Trump his unexpected victory last fall. She grew up in nearby Nanty Glo, the daughter and granddaughter of coal miners. She once had a union job packing meat at a grocery store, and then had to settle for less money at Walmart. Now she’s 60 and retired, and last year, in April, as Trump’s shocking political ascent became impossible to ignore, Schilling’s 32-year-old son died of a heroin overdose. She found needles in the pockets of the clothes he wore to work in the mines before he got laid off.

Desperate for change, Schilling, like so many other once reliable Democrats in these parts, responded enthusiastically to what Trump was saying—building a wall on the Mexican border, repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act, bringing back jobs in steel and coal. That’s what Trump told them. At a raucous rally in late October, right downtown in their minor-league hockey arena, he vowed to restore the mines and the mills that had been the lifeblood of the region until they started closing some 40 years ago, triggering the “American carnage” Trump would talk about in his inaugural address: massive population loss, shrinking tax rolls, communal hopelessness and ultimately a raging opioid epidemic. When Trump won, people here were ecstatic. But they’d heard generations of politicians make big promises before, and they were also impatient for him to deliver.

“Six months to a year,” catering company owner Joey Del Signore told me when we met days after the election. “A couple months,” retired nurse Maggie Frear said, before saying it might take a couple years. “He’s just got to follow through with what he said he was going to do,” Schilling said last November. Back then, there was an all-but-audible “or else.”

A year later, the local unemployment rate has ticked down, and activity in a few coal mines has ticked up. Beyond that, though, not much has changed—at least not for the better. Johnstown and the surrounding region are struggling in the same ways and for the same reasons. The drug problem is just as bad. “There’s nothing good in the area,” Schilling said the other day in her living room. “I don’t have anything good to say about anything in this area. It’s sad.” Even so, her backing for Trump is utterly undiminished: “I’m a supporter of him, 100 percent.”

What I heard from Schilling is overwhelmingly what I heard in my follow-up conversations with people here that I talked to last year as well. Over the course of three rainy, dreary days last week, I revisited and shook hands with the president’s base—that thirtysomething percent of the electorate who resolutely approve of the job he is doing, the segment of voters who share his view that the Russia investigation is a “witch hunt” that “has nothing to do with him,” and who applaud his judicial nominees and his determination to gut the federal regulatory apparatus. But what I wasn’t prepared for was how readily these same people had abandoned the contract he had made with them. Their satisfaction with Trump now seems untethered to the things they once said mattered to them the most.

“I don’t know that he has done a lot to help,” Frear told me. Last year, she said she wouldn’t vote for him again if he didn’t do what he said he was going to do. Last week, she matter-of-factly stated that she would. “Support Trump? Sure,” she said. “I like him.”

When I asked Del Signore about the past year here, he said he “didn’t see any change because we got a new president.” He nonetheless remains an ardent proponent. “He’s our answer.”

I asked Schilling what would happen if the next three years go the way the last one has.

“I’m not going to blame him,” Schilling said. “Absolutely not.”

Is there anything that could change her mind about Trump?

“Nope,” she said.

All this, perhaps, is not so surprising, considering polling continues to show that—in spite of unprecedented unpopularity—nearly all people who voted for Trump would do it again. But as I compared this year’s answers to last year’s responses it seemed clear that the basis of people’s support had morphed. Johnstown voters do not intend to hold the president accountable for the nonnegotiable pledges he made to them. It’s not that the people who made Trump president have generously moved the goalposts for him. It’s that they have eliminated the goalposts altogether.

This reality ought to get the attention of anyone who thinks they will win in 2018 or 2020 by running against Trump’s record. His supporters here, it turns out, are energized by his bombast and his animus more than any actual accomplishments. For them, it’s evidently not what he’s doing so much as it is the people he’s fighting. Trump is simply and unceasingly angry on their behalf, battling the people who vex them the worst—“obstructionist” Democrats, uncooperative establishment Republicans, the media, Black Lives Matter protesters and NFL players (boy oh boy do they hate kneeling NFL players) whom they see as ungrateful, disrespectful millionaires.

And they love him for this.

“I think he’s doing a great job, and I just wish the hell they’d leave him alone and let him do it,” Schilling said. “He shouldn’t have to take any shit from anybody.”

Del Signore is by his own admission not a person who’s focused on policy specifics. A short, stout genial man who wears gold chains around his neck and rings on both pinkies, he last year did something for Trump he had never done for any other political candidate. The 61-year-old Johnstown native proudly planted a Trump sign in the ground in front of his catering company. And nothing that’s happened in the last 12 months, he told me when we met for lunch on Italian buffet day at the Holiday Inn, has lessened his enthusiasm for the man who so energized him.

“Everybody I talk to,” he said, “realizes it’s not Trump who’s dragging his feet. Trump’s probably the most diligent, hardest-working president we’ve ever had in our lifetimes. It’s not like he sleeps in till noon and goes golfing every weekend, like the last president did.”

I stopped him, informing him that, yes, Barack Obama liked to golf, but Trump in fact does golf a lot, too—more, in fact.

Del Signore was surprised to hear this.

“Does he?” he said.

“Yes,” I said.

He did not linger on this topic, smiling and changing the subject with a quip. “If I was married to his wife,” Del Signore said, “I don’t think I’d go anywhere.”

He added: “Some of these things are like that thing he said to Billy, Billy Bob, Billy Bud”—searching, unsuccessfully, for the name Billy Bush—“on the bus, that comment he made.” Del Signore shrugged. “He’s a human male. I’m glad he wasn’t saying, ‘Hey, I like little boys.’ You know? So he’s not perfect.”

Del Signore said he’s been following politics far more than before because of Trump. Trump, he said, is just “more interesting.” So now he likes watching the news. “Ninety-nine percent of the time I watch Fox,” he said. “Sometimes I’ll be sitting there listening to all this Fox stuff, and I’ll say, ‘Maybe they aren’t right, maybe I’ll flip to CNN’—but every time I’ve found that Fox has been correct, and CNN is definitely fake news.”

A Catholic whose wife goes to church every Sunday whereas he, “shame on me,” does not, Del Signore told me toward the end of our lunch that some people at church told his wife that Obama is the antichrist. “She comes home and tells me these things that they tell you in church,” he said. I asked him if that’s what he thinks. “I don’t know,” he said. “Some people say that.”

If Obama, I asked, is the antichrist—whose arrival is said to precede the second coming of Christ—what would that make Trump?

“The savior?” Del Signore suggested.

Not even Trump, though, can stop what’s coming, he added. “Just looking around, and putting two and two together, a little bit of business savvy, a little bit of street savvy, a little common sense, a little bit of education, you kind of deduct different things,” he told me. “I think we’re going to see the end of the world in our generation.”

It’s maybe understandable why somebody here might think this. A little more than a month after last year’s election, a five-month-old baby starved to death in her bassinet after both her parents overdosed on fentanyl, a frighteningly potent sort of synthetic heroin. It was shocking even to a community that’s become all too familiar with the unremitting ravages of opioids.

One morning last week, Arch Liston, Johnstown’s city manager, drove me to the neighborhood where it happened. It’s called Kernville. From the cab of his silver Chevy pickup truck, he pointed out one decrepit, vacant house after another.

“Old factory houses that people have just abandoned,” he said. “Abandoned. Abandoned. Abandoned.”

He sighed heavily.

Many houses I saw from inside Liston’s pickup bore a big X painted on a board nailed to the front, marking them as dangerously structurally unsound. If nothing else, Liston told me, it’s an instruction to the fire department: If it catches fire, let it burn. There are approximately 1,400 houses with an X, Liston said, and he would tear them all down if he could. But each demolition costs roughly $7,000, and it is money the city does not have.

Last year here, the Trump signs were everywhere. This year, my eye settled on different sorts of signs. CONDEMNED. NO TRESPASSING. BEWARE OF DOG. Empty storefronts saying FOR RENT and FOR SALE. The shuttered Hey Day Diner—not far from Coney Island Lunch, a greasy-spoon staple since 1916, once a go-to for round-the-clock shifts of steelworkers, closed this past summer. The sign in the window read: THANK YOU ALL OF OUR CUSTOMERS FOR MANY YEARS OF PATRONAGE.

Liston drove by the Social Security office. “Probably the busiest building in town,” he said.

There are some positives around here. Corsa Coal’s Acosta mine in neighboring Somerset County opened in June. So did Robindale Energy’s new Maple Springs mine. Rosebud Mining reportedly is working to reopen its facility in Cresson, but a company spokesman wouldn’t comment on the status of the project. The increased activity is largely the result of spiking Chinese demand. But even with potentially several hundred new jobs, the long-term outlook for coal is grim. An industry forecast last month from the BMI Mining Report projected coal production to grow by 6 percent and 2 percent this year and next year, respectively, but also noted: This “does not reflect an expectation for President Donald Trump to revive the sector and our longer-term view out to 2021 remains decidedly downbeat.” The area’s unemployment rate stands at 5.2 percent, down a point from last year at this time—but that’s still higher than the state and national numbers. At Johnstown’s JWF Industries, a 450-employee manufacturing company, business hasn’t gone up this year, owner Bill Polacek told me, but he’s expecting a 30-percent jump next year. He chalks that up to Trump and his “pro-business” “mood.”

But even this optimistic stance highlights some of the deep-seated troubles here. “Right now, if I could find 150 people, I’d put them to work,” Polacek said. He needs machinists. He needs welders. “But it’s hard to find people,” he said—people with the requisite skills, people who can pass a drug test.

“We just don’t have the workforce,” said Liston, the city manager. “If they are employable, and have a skill set, basically they already moved out of the area.”

Some of the later-in-life blue-collar workers who are still here can be loath to learn new trades. “We’ve heard when working with some of the miners that they are reluctant because they’re very accustomed to the mining industry,” said Linda Thomson, the president of JARI, a non-profit economic development agency in Johnstown that provides precisely the kind of retraining, supported by a combination of private, state and federal funding, that could prepare somebody for a job in Polacek’s plant. “They really do want to go back into the mines. So we’ve seen resistance to some retraining.”

Polacek, a lifelong Johnstown resident and one of the city’s few remaining business titans, was a staunch supporter of Trump. He has been largely pleased with his performance as president so far, he said, but Polacek does wish Trump would try to be more bipartisan and more deliberative—and also that he and his administration would pay as much attention to Johnstown now as he did during the campaign.

“We’ve been trying to reach out to him to say, ‘Hey, remember us? We need help here,’” he told me. “That’s my only frustration. I’d just like to tell Trump, ‘Hello? We’re still here. We’re ready for you.’”

For three decades, Johnstown had a powerful friend on Capitol Hill in Rep. Jack Murtha, who steered millions in pork-barrel money to his hometown from his seat on the House Appropriations Committee. But Murtha died in 2010, and earmarks have been banned. Now, the seat is held by a Republican backbencher named Keith Rothfus. “We have not had an influx of any federal money that has assisted us since January,” Liston said. Even just a part of the $1-trillion infrastructure package that Trump once talked about would help considerably, he added.

Johnstown has been resilient in the past. A catastrophic flood in 1889 killed more than 2,000 people. A flood in 1936 killed another 25. But ever since the 1977 flood that killed 85—coupled with mounting mill and mine closures and job losses due to increased global competition—the trend lines here have been almost invariably dispiriting. And so Johnstown and surrounding Cambria County, whiter, poorer and less educated than America overall, was famished for the message Trump delivered in person at War Memorial Arena last October. “Your government betrayed you, and I’m going to make it right,” he told them. “We’re putting your miners back to work,” he told them. “Your jobs will come back under a Trump administration,” he told them. “Your steel will come back,” he told them.

“The change you’ve been waiting for will finally arrive,” he pledged.

It was what they so badly wanted to hear. On November 8, 2016, in Cambria County, Trump trounced Hillary Clinton by nearly 38 points.

By last week, though, John George told me that despite what they might have said people here didn’t really believe Trump would make good on all his promises. “Deep down inside,” he said, “I don’t think anybody thought the steel mills were going to come back.” George is the owner of “George’s Song Shop” downtown. He bills it as America’s oldest record store. It’s been in business for 86 years. His father ran it for 30, and he’s had it for the last 56. George is a Democrat, but he voted for Trump, and he would do it again, he said. His whole adult life, essentially, he’s watched potential customers leave, as the population of the city has plummeted from more than 70,000 to less than 20,000. Now he sees the names and faces of some of his customers in the newspaper. In the obituaries.

In 2015, Cambria County had 58 overdose deaths. Last year, that number soared to 94. This year, the deadly epidemic is on pace for a similar toll. One of my mornings in Johnstown, I had a meeting scheduled with the coroner. I was on my way when he called to postpone.

“I apologize,” said Jeff Lees. “We just got called out on two drug overdoses. We’re just getting slammed here.”

Something I heard last week that I didn’t hear last year: resignation. Drapes drawn, Maggie Frear, the retired nurse, sat in her darkened living room and told me there really wasn’t all that much Trump could do to help Johnstown and Cambria County.

“You know, we’re sort of a depressed area,” she said. “We’re just a little area, you know—but it’s a good area. Good people here. And I think he would, if he knew of a place that had a lot of problems, I think he would try to help. I don’t know what he could do, or would want to do, for Johnstown, you know?”

He said he was going to bring back the steel mills.

“You’re never going to get those steel mills back,” she said.

“But he said he was going to,” I said.

“Yeah, but how’s he going to bring them back?”

“I don’t know,” I said, “but it’s what he said, last year, and people voted for him because of it.”

“They always say they want to bring the steel mills back,” Frear said, “but they’re going to have to do a lot of work to bring the steel mills back.”

He hasn’t built the wall yet, either. “I don’t care about his wall,” said Frear, 76. “I mean, if he gets his wall—I don’t give a shit, you know? But he has a good idea: Keep ‘em out.”

He also hasn’t repealed Obamacare. “That’s Congress,” she said.

And the drug scourge here continues unabated. “And it’s not going to improve for a long time,” she said, “until people learn, which they won’t.”

“But I like him,” Frear reiterated. “Because he does what he says.”

John Daloni is the financial secretary of the United Steelworkers Local 2632 union. Last November, many members of his union, considered for so long here and in so many places like it to be guaranteed voters for Democrats, flipped and went for Trump. Daloni, who had supported Clinton, reeled. “I lost 20 pounds,” he told me last week when we met at the union office, adjacent to a gun store. “I had to see a cardiologist, because I honestly think my heart was broken—I spent 24 hours walking around with one of those holter monitors. I didn’t know what was happening. I felt awful.”

Last week, he reported hearing for the last year at work, at Gautier Steel, exactly what I had been hearing in my conversations around town—a remarkable, undeniable, ongoing vehemence of support.

“I don’t give the guy that much credit,” Daloni said, referring to the president, “but man—he knows what buttons to push, and he’s pushing ‘em.”

His insistent declarations of success no matter the reality—it’s working. Trump’s inveterate blame-shifting—it’s working.

They don’t mind his intemperate tweets. They don’t mind the specter of scandal, which they dismiss as trifling nonsense. They don’t mind his nuclear saber-rattling with North Korea, saying they feel safer under Trump than they did under Obama. And they don’t mind his mixed record of delivering on the promises he made in their hockey arena.

So many people in so many other areas of the country watch with dismay and existential alarm Trump’s Twitter hijinks, his petty feuds, his penchant for butting into areas where the president has no explicit, policy-relevant role. All of that only animates his supporters here. For them, Trump is their megaphone. He is the scriptwriter. He is a singularly effective, intuitive creator of a limitless loop of grievance and discontent that keeps them in absolute lockstep.

One afternoon last week I stopped to talk to a small group of people who had gathered on the sidewalk across the street from the Johnstown Planned Parenthood office. One woman had set up a bucket of body parts of toy babies. Gale Bala sat on a low rock wall and held a sign that said ABORTION KILLS CHILDREN. She voted for Obama in 2008. She voted for Romney in 2012. Her parents were Democrats, her steelworker husband was a Democrat, and she was a Democrat until two years ago. She voted for Trump last fall, and she’ll “definitely” vote for him in 2020, too.

“He’s kind of the last best hope, in my opinion,” said Bala, 65, a retired high school Spanish and reading teacher. “I haven’t run into anybody who’s said they’d never vote for him again.”

Next to Bala was a gray-haired man who told me he voted for Trump and was happy so far because “he’s kept his promises.”

I asked which ones.

“Border security.” But there’s no wall yet. “No fault of his,” the man said.

What else? “Getting rid of Obamacare.” But he hasn’t. “Well, he’s tried to.”

What else? “Defunding Planned Parenthood.” But he didn’t. “Not his fault again,” the man said.

I asked for his name. “Bill K.,” he said. He wouldn’t give me his last name. “I don’t trust you,” he said.

More than anything, what seemed to upset the people I spoke with was the National Football League players who have knelt during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality.

“As far as I’m concerned,” Frear told me, “if I was the boss of these teams, I would tell ‘em, ‘You get your asses out there and you play, or you’re not here anymore.’ They’re paying their salaries, for God’s sake.”

“Shame on them,” Del Signore said over his alfredo. “These clowns are out there, making millions of dollars a year, and they’re using some stupid excuse that they want equality—so I’ll kneel against the flag and the national anthem?”

“You’re not a fan of equality?” I asked.

“For people who deserve it and earn it,” he said. “All my ancestors, Italian, 100-percent Italian, the Irish, Germans, Polish, whatever—they all came over here, settled in places like this, they worked hard and they earned the respect. They earned the success that they got. Some people don’t want to do that. They just want it handed to them.”

“Like NFL players?” I said.

“Well,” Del Signore responded, “I hate to say what the majority of them are …” He stopped himself short of what I thought he was about to say.

Schilling and her husband, however, did not restrain themselves.

“The thing that irritates me to no end is this NFL shit,” Schilling told me in her living room. “I’m about ready to go over the top with this shit. We do not watch no NFL now.” They’re Dallas Cowboys fans. “We banned ‘em. We don’t watch it.”

Schilling looked at her husband, Dave McCabe, who’s 67 and a retired high school basketball coach. She nodded at me. “Tell him,” she said to McCabe, “what you said the NFL is …”

McCabe looked momentarily wary. He laughed a little. “I don’t remember saying that,” he said unconvincingly.

Schilling was having none of it. “You’re the one that told me, liar,” she said.

She looked at me.

The NFL?

“Niggers for life,” Schilling said.

“For life,” McCabe added.

© 2017 POLITICO LLC Terms of Service Privacy Policy

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
grew up in Western Pennsylvania
Nov 08th 2017
Pittsburgh would be the shit if it wasn't so racist
Nov 08th 2017
      yea.....i showed my wife the reaction to the Bourdain episode
Nov 08th 2017
      ironic because they had to get the 'whiteness upgrade'
Nov 08th 2017
white people voting against their own self interests
Nov 08th 2017
^^^^^^
Nov 08th 2017
RE: white people voting against their own self interests
Nov 08th 2017
This has been true since the late 1700s
Nov 19th 2017
this was an insane read. these are the 5th avenue voters
Nov 08th 2017
The viceral hate for black people is frightening
Nov 08th 2017
But these are remote, white trash regions of the country with no diversi...
Nov 08th 2017
trump will lose in 2020? how you figure?
Nov 08th 2017
      ehhhh, i think there's a chance he won't get re-elected.
Nov 08th 2017
      like dubya, the only thing that will derail trump's support is a
Nov 08th 2017
      bush had a damn near 90% approval rating after his 1st year.
Nov 08th 2017
           how do Dems win Ohio, Florida, PA, VA, or Michigan? by relying on
Nov 08th 2017
           VA been blue the past three elections. even with Hillary.
Nov 08th 2017
           my bad...u right...i always lump ya'll in with the deplo..i mean red
Nov 08th 2017
                haha, i get it
Nov 08th 2017
           trump won pa and mi by less than 1%.
Nov 08th 2017
                I agree here
Nov 08th 2017
           at a conference yesterday, a girl in a circle i was speaking with had a
Nov 09th 2017
      trump rode a wave of voter apathy on the dem/ind side.
Nov 08th 2017
           i'm a man of many wishes. hope my premonition misses...
Nov 08th 2017
                yeah its hard to predict anything these days.
Nov 08th 2017
didja read the Tanehesi piece on Trump? Explains it all....
Nov 08th 2017
      Yeah. This quote:
Nov 08th 2017
i do like that this article threw some shade
Nov 08th 2017
no chance n/m
Nov 08th 2017
Fuck 'em.
Nov 08th 2017
^^^^
Nov 08th 2017
^^^ and i hope they die. <-- i'm in this line.
Nov 09th 2017
good ole rust belt racism at it's finest
Nov 08th 2017
"It's getting too dark in here" *changes music to arrhythmic rock*
Nov 08th 2017
this is where we are as a country:
Nov 08th 2017
      This is it in a nutshell
Nov 09th 2017
Someone said these people are addicted to White Supremacy.
Nov 08th 2017
and a black president sent them over the edge
Nov 08th 2017
basically, they just want to feel okay being openly racist, bigoted
Nov 08th 2017
but but but Hillary didn't campaign in Wisconsin lmao
Nov 08th 2017
all trump supporters aren't racist
Nov 08th 2017
find me one who aint
Nov 08th 2017
the only ones i know personally are life long republicans because
Nov 08th 2017
      Jesus ...they still make these??? i thought they went out with streetcar...
Nov 08th 2017
           wait, he is?
Nov 08th 2017
           he's whatever they want him to be. Trump has no loyalties except
Nov 08th 2017
           https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/03/donald-trumps-...
Nov 08th 2017
           man, it drives me nuts. there are definitely still people like that.
Nov 08th 2017
supporters and voters aren't the same thing
Nov 08th 2017
all trump supporters dont mind a little bit of racism
Nov 14th 2017
She didn’t...
Nov 09th 2017
Trump is a voracious Fox News watcher. So he speaks their language
Nov 08th 2017
That's why I want a Lyndon B Johnson type.
Nov 08th 2017
what if your party chooses an unqualified buffoon though?
Nov 08th 2017
He's THEIR buffoon though
Nov 08th 2017
i guess.
Nov 08th 2017
i always said that 2016 was more of an indictment of our electorate
Nov 08th 2017
      shit, i do
Nov 08th 2017
      agreed.
Nov 08th 2017
      sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
Nov 08th 2017
      while that is true (re: whites at all economic levels)
Nov 09th 2017
           ^
Nov 17th 2017
      Damn, sad but true
Nov 09th 2017
New Yorker who went to an Ivy League school and shits in a gold toilet
Nov 08th 2017
      they dont despise him. he's who they want to be.
Nov 08th 2017
           of course they don't. that's not what i'm saying
Nov 08th 2017
           They went from wanting someone they can drink a beer with to
Nov 08th 2017
                i mean, that's Romney lol. i suppose Trump's somewhat of an aberration
Nov 08th 2017
                     donald trump is ronald reagan.
Nov 15th 2017
           right? It's like their shitty walmart version of "making it"
Nov 08th 2017
fuck 'em. fuck all of them
Nov 10th 2017
he's the whiteman's beyonce
Nov 14th 2017
agreed
Nov 14th 2017
go read....
Nov 14th 2017
      yea there is the #trumpregrets feed too
Nov 14th 2017
was in Dayton OH last week
Nov 14th 2017
I watched that anti-hillary movie a few months back
Nov 14th 2017
muh'fuggaz hate women.
Nov 14th 2017
if she was a man she would get Ted Cruze levels of hate
Nov 15th 2017
But isn't the answer to this mad simple though?
Nov 14th 2017
yeah, especially since half the left hates hillary too
Nov 14th 2017
same here.
Nov 15th 2017
should a never ran her in the first place
Nov 15th 2017
who should they have run?
Nov 15th 2017
      Biden, Pocohontas, Bernie, Muslim Dude...
Nov 15th 2017
           biden possibly. everyone else not a chance.
Nov 15th 2017
                well as soon as Obama won everyone said Hillary was next
Nov 15th 2017
Just for fun, let's put on the 1800s goggles for a bit:
Nov 15th 2017
"anybody but hillary" is real.
Nov 15th 2017
it's (1 of) the reason i laugh when they say she didn't campaign certain
Nov 15th 2017
Maybe their church will be next
Nov 15th 2017
Damn
Nov 15th 2017
      That's what that type of outlook can ultimately lead to
Nov 19th 2017
Johnstown progressives are sick of national media painting them solely a...
Nov 15th 2017
They've got a point
Nov 19th 2017

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "grew up in Western Pennsylvania"
In response to Reply # 0

this is surprising to people?
the end is why steeler fandom is a double edged sword
its also why most black people i know that are successful from where im from left

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Pittsburgh would be the shit if it wasn't so racist"
In response to Reply # 1

and it's mostly that Italian, Polish racism....

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:40 PM

19. "yea.....i showed my wife the reaction to the Bourdain episode"
In response to Reply # 11

thats all she needed to see

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:45 PM

54. "ironic because they had to get the 'whiteness upgrade'"
In response to Reply # 11

and they have actual slurs specific to their ethnicities (in some case, multiple)

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "white people voting against their own self interests "
In response to Reply # 0

because of white identity politics and culture warfare.

thats basically the only thing keeping the republican party afloat.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 06:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
60. "RE: white people voting against their own self interests "
In response to Reply # 2

>because of white identity politics and culture warfare.
>
>thats basically the only thing keeping the republican party
>afloat.

Truth^^^^^

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

imo
Member since Aug 09th 2007
2144 posts
Sun Nov-19-17 11:34 AM

95. "This has been true since the late 1700s"
In response to Reply # 2

Fear of competition and a leveled playing field with non-whites keeps the poor and middle class whites from voting logically.

"hey, make this right mayne
stop at the light mayne,
my yester night thang got me hung off the night train "

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:21 PM

4. "this was an insane read. these are the 5th avenue voters"
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13571 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:42 PM

5. "The viceral hate for black people is frightening "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-08-17 12:43 PM by flipnile

What the fuck do black people have to do with Trump, his politics, western PA's economy, the wall or the affordable health care act?

after midnight
Member since Jul 04th 2007
1208 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:57 PM

7. "But these are remote, white trash regions of the country with no diversi..."
In response to Reply # 5

Like the Tea Party they're loudmouths, but have no real influence on the rest of the country.

All their yakkity-yakking failed to stop Obama's re-election.

Trump will lose in 2020 and they'll fade back into obscurity.

>What the fuck do black people have to do with Trump, his
>politics, western PA's economy, the wall or the affordable
>health care act?

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:25 PM

13. "trump will lose in 2020? how you figure?"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Nov-08-17 01:51 PM by BigJazz

the people described in the article will guarantee trump's reelection.

they not voting based off any kinda logic or facts. their inner racist relates to trump's outer racist so they're like kindred spirits.

nothing trump has or hasn't done while in office so far is a deal breaker for them.

trump gets reelected by about the same margin as he got elected...

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:30 PM

15. "ehhhh, i think there's a chance he won't get re-elected."
In response to Reply # 13

sometimes i think we underestimate the number of votes that were against Clinton, rather than for Trump. now that those type people witness the shit show that is the Trump administration i'm not sure they cast that vote for him again. and, like i said, it will be someone besides Clinton running against him in 2020 that they won't feel so strongly the need to vote against. look what just happened in VA to the cats that tried to run with Trump politics. they got smoked.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:29 PM

23. "like dubya, the only thing that will derail trump's support is a"

recession and outright market crash and substantial loss of wealth/housing/assets.

no other black swans will derail his support with these people.

money does things to people.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:49 PM

26. "bush had a damn near 90% approval rating after his 1st year."
In response to Reply # 23

above 60% at the end of his 1st term.
trump might be half that after 2 years lol.

shit he might get primaried by a crazier republican lol.

white voter share decreases with each election.
repubs are ceding the middle to democrats.
millenials are set to become the largest generation of eligible voters in history.
and the normally sleepy democratic base is politically energized and turning it into votes.

its gonna be hard to win with mechanics/fundamentals like that stacked against you.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:53 PM

29. "how do Dems win Ohio, Florida, PA, VA, or Michigan? by relying on"
In response to Reply # 26

low repub turnout?

and i mean presidential race...not state

=======================================
Coolin...

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:55 PM

31. "VA been blue the past three elections. even with Hillary."
In response to Reply # 29

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:56 PM

33. "my bad...u right...i always lump ya'll in with the deplo..i mean red "
In response to Reply # 31

Coolin...

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:57 PM

34. "haha, i get it"
In response to Reply # 33

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:45 PM

42. "trump won pa and mi by less than 1%."
In response to Reply # 29

like 2-3 votes per precinct or something like that.
that margin can easily be wiped out in philly or detroit alone.

ohio is tougher.
trump won by almost 5 mil more votes.
they seem to be trending older and whiter.

fl is always a close competitive swing state with a rapidly increasing latino population.
(including 100K exodus of puerto ricans to the mainland).
there are actually more registered dems in fl than repubs.
state dem party has just been disorganized or intentionally noncompetitive
(deb waserman schultz actually stopped candidates from running against her republican friends even in districts that leaned blue in the last presidential election).
obama won fl twice and fl certainly isnt getting whiter or more republican.

democrats win the same way democrats win most elections.
by increasing turnout (particularly among blacks and hispanics).
they should reengage labor unions as well.
unions were once a potent force for the dem party.
but they have been assaulted by republican state legislatures and governors while being abandoned by national dems.
to the credit of tom perez it looks like he is making a hard charge at labor unions based on the dnc hirings (perez was labor sec under obama too).

dems gotta fight voter suppression in these places as well. aclu and other orgs are doing their part through the courts. dems gotta get election officials in office to stop it altogether tho.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:23 PM

51. "I agree here"
In response to Reply # 42

>
>dems gotta fight voter suppression in these places as well.
>aclu and other orgs are doing their part through the courts.
>dems gotta get election officials in office to stop it
>altogether tho.
>

everything else was said all last year up until November
aka i hope your right but ummmmmm...

Coolin...

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 04:05 PM

65. "at a conference yesterday, a girl in a circle i was speaking with had a "
In response to Reply # 26

pin on her shirt with her preferred gender pronoun.

shit like this is why i'm not discounting the far right winning again in 2020, whether it's the trumpster or a younger stand-in.

the dems have 10-12 months to come up with someone viable.

even mark cuban on cnbc today said he'd run as a repub before he would a dem, just to take on trump in a primary. that could be a huge mistake. muuhfucka's gonna parlay errythang for the nfc championship instead of the big dance.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:35 PM

24. "trump rode a wave of voter apathy on the dem/ind side."

along with anti-clinton sentiment like kilo said (theres a reason fox news has pretty much based their entire primetime lineup around demonizing clinton).

but since his election he hasnt done a single thing to broaden his base and swing a single voter his way. he has done plenty to make people abandon him tho. he failed to win a true majority in the republican primary and failed to do the same in the general. he had a lot of soft support that reluctantly gave him a chance.

i do a lot of volunteer work and canvassing for democratic campaigns now. and a lot of people who stayed home or voted 3rd party in protest realize their mistake and are fired the fuck up. last night was the 1st chance a lot of people got to channel that energy nationwide. and it resulted in historical precendents being set for democrats all across the country.

nothing is for certain with republican voter suppression methods (and a soon to be reshaped judiciary that is hostile to voting rights). but right now his chances at reelection are prolly under water regardless of who the dem candidate is.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:49 PM

27. "i'm a man of many wishes. hope my premonition misses..."
In response to Reply # 24

i hope y'all right. i really do. i just don't see it. i'm down on humanity these days...

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:18 PM

36. "yeah its hard to predict anything these days."
In response to Reply # 27

cant even count on people being sane.

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:04 PM

9. "didja read the Tanehesi piece on Trump? Explains it all...."
In response to Reply # 5

flipnile
13571 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:26 PM

14. "Yeah. This quote:"
In response to Reply # 9

This is by design. Speaking in 1848, Senator John C. Calhoun saw slavery as the explicit foundation for a democratic union among whites, working and not:

"""
With us the two great divisions of society are not the rich and poor, but white and black; and all the former, the poor as well as the rich, belong to the upper class, and are respected and treated as equals.
"""

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:55 PM

6. "i do like that this article threw some shade"
In response to Reply # 0

instead of just doing the usual sob-story about the "forgotten" white working class

but can these outlets stop covering the same topic over and over?

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:45 PM

21. "no chance n/m"
In response to Reply # 6

>but can these outlets stop covering the same topic over and
>over?

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:59 PM

8. "Fuck 'em."
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:10 PM

10. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:11 PM

66. "^^^ and i hope they die. <-- i'm in this line. "
In response to Reply # 8

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:24 PM

12. "good ole rust belt racism at it's finest"
In response to Reply # 0

there is a bar back home owned by some white dude I went to HS with.

My boy from the area started throwing parties there and it was PACKED!!!

but since it was mostly black folk they started calling it a nigger bar and soon after they stopped letting him throw parties there.

so these fools would rather starve and lose jobs than let Black folk have a good time and make money.

and people ask me if I will move back? FUCK NO

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
13571 posts

16. ""It's getting too dark in here" *changes music to arrhythmic rock*"
In response to Reply # 12

I've seen similar shit here. Bar that was quietly playing top40 hits suddenly starts BLASTING some wack-ass rock music. Or the venue that was packed with black folks all of a sudden switches everything up to attract 80% less non-black people. Shit sucks.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:19 PM

22. "this is where we are as a country:"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Nov-08-17 02:22 PM by Reeq

>so these fools would rather starve and lose jobs than let
>Black folk have a good time and make money.

donald trump was the 1st solely punitive pick for president we have ever seen. a large contingent of the electorate voted him in just to inflict damage on other people...black people, mexicans, muslims, etc. they dont care if they dont get anything out of the deal themselves.

'see! this is why trump won!' (aka you called us deplorable so we proved it by being deplorable)

when have you ever seen people blame *someone else* for why they voted for a person?

these folks would rather wreck the entire country for everyone than let other people enjoy it.

we literally had ONE nonwhite president and white supremacy decided we gotta scorch the whole thing lol.

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 02:43 AM

61. "This is it in a nutshell"
In response to Reply # 22

>>so these fools would rather starve and lose jobs than let
>>Black folk have a good time and make money.
>
>donald trump was the 1st solely punitive pick for president we
>have ever seen. a large contingent of the electorate voted
>him in just to inflict damage on other people...black people,
>mexicans, muslims, etc. they dont care if they dont get
>anything out of the deal themselves.
>
>'see! this is why trump won!' (aka you called us deplorable so
>we proved it by being deplorable)
>
>when have you ever seen people blame *someone else* for why
>they voted for a person?
>
>these folks would rather wreck the entire country for everyone
>than let other people enjoy it.
>
>we literally had ONE nonwhite president and white supremacy
>decided we gotta scorch the whole thing lol.
>

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts

17. "Someone said these people are addicted to White Supremacy. "
In response to Reply # 0

on twitter. Good take.

I had it in my mind to write a short sci-fi story called "The Last Cracker" about kids going to visit the self-proclaimed last white man in the world and it's this old "white" man living in the hills off in a trailer and like a carnival attraction people pay money to walk through his trailer and see memorabilia from a long gone people who self identify as white.

This story reminds me of that idea.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4874 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:42 PM

20. "and a black president sent them over the edge"
In response to Reply # 17

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4874 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:35 PM

18. "basically, they just want to feel okay being openly racist, bigoted"
In response to Reply # 0

pieces of sh!t

Like, I knew that of course.

But the whole "well he didn't build the wall, but all that matters is he said a wall should be built" is like...damn.

So you don't WANT the wall as much as you want to be validated when you say there SHOULD be a wall.

Or the dude talking about the p*ssy grabber tape..."at least he isn't into boys" ???

My god.

The Dems better have a plan for turn out this time. There will be no convincing these people.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:44 PM

25. "but but but Hillary didn't campaign in Wisconsin lmao"
In response to Reply # 0

oh...and my favorite...All of the trump voters aren't racist

i'm glad my stance/viewpoint/perspective been the exact same since wayyyyyy b4 the election

Coolin...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:50 PM

28. "all trump supporters aren't racist"
In response to Reply # 25

but all racists are trump supporters

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:53 PM

30. "find me one who aint"
In response to Reply # 28

Coolin...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:03 PM

35. "the only ones i know personally are life long republicans because"
In response to Reply # 30

of their pro-life stance. that 1 issue makes them vote red every time.

i'm guessing trump got supporters that got money that voted for him because they figured a trump presidency would change the tax code to keep more of their money in their pocket.

that's all i got. i can't think of another non-racist reason to support trump...

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:22 PM

37. "Jesus ...they still make these??? i thought they went out with streetcar..."
In response to Reply # 35
Wed Nov-08-17 03:24 PM by ambient1

>of their pro-life stance. that 1 issue makes them vote red
>every time.
>

I ask this in all seriousness....
Roe v Wade is 40+

who's non-grandparent age still trippin over abortions???

that's scary...shit they want the drinkin age lowered back to 18 too?
for child labor laws to go away?
lol

and to make it even funnier...Trump IS pro choice

Coolin...

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:41 PM

39. "wait, he is?"
In response to Reply # 37

gotta do my Googles on that. i coulda swore chief cheeto was pro life

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:44 PM

41. "he's whatever they want him to be. Trump has no loyalties except"
In response to Reply # 39

to himself.

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:36 PM

52. "https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/03/donald-trumps-..."
In response to Reply # 39

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/04/03/donald-trumps-ever-shifting-positions-on-abortion/?utm_term=.e248c0cdf70a

he switches whichever way the wind blows

Coolin...

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:43 PM

40. "man, it drives me nuts. there are definitely still people like that."
In response to Reply # 37

i don't get it. abortion is never going away, they really need to get past it and gay rights when it comes to deciding who to vote for. those issues don't matter at all, but the other ones the candidate you voted for do.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:56 PM

32. "supporters and voters aren't the same thing"

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 01:37 AM

68. "all trump supporters dont mind a little bit of racism"
Tue Nov-14-17 01:38 AM by Riot

sexism
bullying
being pedo/incest adjacent
etc

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 09:06 AM

62. "She didn’t... "
In response to Reply # 25

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:28 PM

38. "Trump is a voracious Fox News watcher. So he speaks their language"
In response to Reply # 0

Doesn't matter what he actually gets accomplished. As long as he talks about what is important to them in a way that indicates that he cares, he's got them locked down.

But to be fair, I think this behavior (loyal to your president no matter what) is common across all parties. Not anything really special with Trump.

You ask people in 2011 how Obama has made your life better, a bunch of them would say he hadn't. But they would still have strong support for him.

Your guy is your guy.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:49 PM

43. "That's why I want a Lyndon B Johnson type. "
In response to Reply # 38

Someone who looks and sounds like their guy but has a progressive agenda.

Anyway, that's why I initially had some hope for Trump. His constituents don't give a shit about what he does so he could have gone all New York Liberal on them and they wouldn't have batted an eye.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:51 PM

44. "what if your party chooses an unqualified buffoon though?"

Hillary had problems but she is qualified to be POTUS. As was Obama. Even W (he had been a governor at least). It's weird seeing them ride for this guy given all of that.

fuck you.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 03:55 PM

45. "He's THEIR buffoon though"
In response to Reply # 44
Wed Nov-08-17 03:55 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

If you picked that horse, you're gonna ride it out through thick and thin.
Try to tell them them picked a bad one and they'll dig deeper into their trench. Nobody wants to be wrong. And definitely nobody wants to admit (even to themselves) that they were wrong

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:14 PM

48. "i guess."
In response to Reply # 45

fuck you.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:11 PM

46. "i always said that 2016 was more of an indictment of our electorate"
In response to Reply # 44
Wed Nov-08-17 04:13 PM by Reeq

than it was an indictment of hillary as a candidate.

hillary no doubt had her flaws and people say she was a horrible candidate because she lost to trump (even tho she got the 2nd highest vote total ever and turned many repub/romney districts blue). but why did so many people view trump as a desirable choice in the 1st place?

other than race...the biggest voter behavior fault line in this election was education. whites with no college degree swung sharply to trump. how come we dont 'blame' them for his win?

theres a reason repubs continuously attack and weaken education, arts, etc. they gotta sow the soil their base is planted on.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:12 PM

47. "shit, i do"
In response to Reply # 46

>other than race...the biggest voter behavior fault line in
>this election was education. whites with no college degree
>swung sharply to trump. how come we dont 'blame' them for his
>win?
>

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:16 PM

49. "agreed."

fuck you.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:50 PM

56. "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Trump won whites at every socio economic level. either a majority or a plurality.

"first WHITE president" wasn't just click-bait.

that was an indictment, IMO.

(also add the fact that GOP-run government in WI and MI cheated with voter purging/suppression)

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:02 AM

64. "while that is true (re: whites at all economic levels)"
In response to Reply # 56

uneducated white males turned out in droves to vote for this nitwit. for many of them it was probably their first time voting.

Reeq
16347 posts
Fri Nov-17-17 05:55 PM

92. "^"
In response to Reply # 64

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 09:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
63. "Damn, sad but true"

>theres a reason repubs continuously attack and weaken
>education, arts, etc. they gotta sow the soil their base is
>planted on.
>

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:23 PM

50. "New Yorker who went to an Ivy League school and shits in a gold toilet"

the type of person these people despise
i remember thinking they'd never go for it. i see how they could connect to Sarah Palin, but not a guy like Trump.

but his shit talking, anti-intellectualism, and their common bond of racism/fuck obama is more than enough to convince them he gets them.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:42 PM

53. "they dont despise him. he's who they want to be."
In response to Reply # 50

<--- Big Baller World Order

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:47 PM

55. "of course they don't. that's not what i'm saying"
In response to Reply # 53
Wed Nov-08-17 04:50 PM by Mynoriti

i'm saying on paper, he's the type of person these joe sixpack 'merica types despise

he's the big city rich guy who looks down on them, but he managed to convince them he gets them

same could be said of evangelicals. he's a 3x married pro-choice pussyhound sexual predator who couldn't recite a bible verse with a gun to his head, but fuck obama

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:57 PM

57. "They went from wanting someone they can drink a beer with to"
In response to Reply # 55

electing the boss they hate.

>i'm saying on paper, he's the type of person these joe
>sixpack 'merica types despise
>
>he's the big city rich guy who looks down on them, but he
>managed to convince them he gets them
>
>same could be said of evangelicals. he's a 3x married
>pro-choice pussyhound sexual predator who couldn't recite a
>bible verse with a gun to his head, but fuck obama

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 05:05 PM

58. "i mean, that's Romney lol. i suppose Trump's somewhat of an aberration"
In response to Reply # 57

because he's a shit talker, and a Washington outsider, and these people could probably see having a beer with him and watching the game, but dude cuts his pizza with a fork, and he said the white house is a dump because it doesn't look like https://archpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/SF-OTTO_TR_A95SF46-106.jpg

but the common denominator is always racism

>electing the boss they hate.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 12:46 PM

89. "donald trump is ronald reagan."
In response to Reply # 58
Wed Nov-15-17 12:53 PM by Reeq

both washington outsiders. both tv/movie personalities with high name value cache. both were democrats before 'turning' republican. both seen as too dumb or simplistic to become president. both were 'straight talkers'. both literally used the same campaign slogan lol.

reagan was a hollywood liberal arts frat boy. trump was a silver spoon coastal elite. both were archetypes that conservatives hated...until they adopted dog whistle racial politics and tough stances on immigration.

trump won whites without college degrees by the biggest margin since reagans re-election. trump made in-roads into union households like reagan.

'reagan democrats' = trump white working class rust belt converts.

the more things change the more they stay the same.

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 05:07 PM

59. "right? It's like their shitty walmart version of "making it""
In response to Reply # 53

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 10:52 PM

67. "fuck 'em. fuck all of them"
In response to Reply # 0

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 03:03 AM

69. "he's the whiteman's beyonce"
In response to Reply # 0

(c)chris rock i think

results dont matter over the #yttrashmagic they feel after going to his concerts(rallies) and watching his videos on tv
they live in a alternative facts fox news bubble
and ignore even basic stuff they should logically object to- unlimited golf trips, billionaire cabinet appointments, BFFs with russia

the evangelicals claim his "persecution" is Christ-like, the same way they feel "christianity is under attack in america". nevermind the pu55ygrabzz

as for dems and 2018/2020
most important number is 40%
as in 40% of electorate didnt even vote in 2016
45* won 3 states by under 100k votes, and like 50million ppl didnt vote at all

get the right candidate, outmaneuver the gerrymanders, and simultaneously the johnstown coal counties will further choke & decay on their own hate

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 09:36 AM

70. "agreed "
In response to Reply # 69

Coolin...

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 05:32 PM

74. "go read...."
In response to Reply # 69

r/ask the donald

and

r/ask trump supporters

that shit is swimming in the kool aide

I can't stop going because I've been watching them turn one by one on their leader

Riot
14614 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 10:37 PM

77. "yea there is the #trumpregrets feed too "
In response to Reply # 74

but those are mostly Moderates or even true ideological conservatives

the #MAGAts aint waking up. they going down with the ship

and the 35% trump4ever base makes up a majority of avg Gop congressman's constituents, so repubs will never turn on him
they are trump4ever by proxy, even when he insults their dead parents

only repubs to stand up and state the obvious re: Chump are 2 congressmen that are quitting, and 1 with brain cancer

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 10:32 AM

71. "was in Dayton OH last week "
In response to Reply # 0

among the ruins of dilapidated factories, boarded up stores, and billboards for addiction recovery
fuck all that, every YT person I talked to
hates, HATES, HATES Hillary with a visceral gut passion I've never seen
do you get what I mean by HATE?

they made her sound like the anti christ whore of babylon mass murderer
one dude made explicit death threats

I was like damm for real? I mean I see her as your average corrupt politician, doing whatever it takes to get elected just like every other R and D candidate has ever done.
Nixon, Reagan, both Bushes, they all lied and did all kinds of shit.
Watergate, Iran-Contra, Read my lips, Iraq war, Nixon actually resigned!

Dude was all Benghazi! Whitewater! Foster! Enabled Bill the predator! Fuck her!

Another one said he knew 45 was full of shit, but at least he wasn't Hillary

What do you say to that? Rupert Murdoch has made her beyond evil
and Dems too by association

That's why I see 45 getting re-elected if he's still in office
and why Moore will win. I've already seen "he may be a pedo but at least he's not a Dem"
There's no hope

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 05:17 PM

72. "I watched that anti-hillary movie a few months back"
In response to Reply # 71
Tue Nov-14-17 05:19 PM by Mynoriti

by that Dinesh guy who did the 2016 Obama movie

it's worth watching just by how bad and ridiculous it is. it's crazy entertaining in that sense. it's also horribly made, and nearly impossible to wrap your head around anyone who's not a complete moron buying into it

a co-worker and i were clowning about how bad it was, just by the grace of god timing, another co-worker (in much a higher position no-less), comes in and starts in asking us if we've seen it, and before we could even answer starts going on about how amazing it was, and how it will blow our minds just how corrupt and pure evil this woman is

yeah, it's a completely separate reality, man

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 05:30 PM

73. "muh'fuggaz hate women. "

were she a man...

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 09:21 AM

79. "if she was a man she would get Ted Cruze levels of hate"
In response to Reply # 73

some people are easy to hate.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 05:54 PM

75. "But isn't the answer to this mad simple though?"

>Another one said he knew 45 was full of shit, but at least he
>wasn't Hillary
>
>What do you say to that?

Just don't run Hillary Clinton as a candidate. Like it's crazy they are still so worked up about someone who lost.

I suspect it isn't about Hilary so much. I think all that ire was directed at Obama when he was in office and running for office.

It's straight dumb tribalism.

Rupert Murdoch has made her beyond
>evil
>and Dems too by association
>
>That's why I see 45 getting re-elected if he's still in office
>
>and why Moore will win. I've already seen "he may be a pedo
>but at least he's not a Dem"
>There's no hope
>
>

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Tue Nov-14-17 07:02 PM

76. "yeah, especially since half the left hates hillary too"
In response to Reply # 75

i'm not a fan of hers, but i do find myself wanting to defend her since everyone's so ridiculously extra about her.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 09:56 AM

81. "same here."
In response to Reply # 76

still getting attacked from right and left non stop and the chick aint even in office or campaigning.

saw a piece on a popular liberal outlet just the other day saying democrats need to finally step up and hold hillary clinton accountable for bill clintons past behavior with women. *headsmack*

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 09:20 AM

78. "should a never ran her in the first place"

she is the ONLY candidate besides Rev Wright who could shore up the GOP base.

and folks wanna say it's cause she is a woman. No, it's cause she is Hillary fucking Clinton.

I don't even think Bill likes her.

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 11:04 AM

86. "who should they have run?"
In response to Reply # 78

who do you think could have run and gotten the 2nd highest vote total in history or better?

just curious.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 11:40 AM

87. "Biden, Pocohontas, Bernie, Muslim Dude..."
In response to Reply # 86
Wed Nov-15-17 11:40 AM by legsdiamond

that dude from Jersey

young up and comer...

anyone but Hillary

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 12:17 PM

88. "biden possibly. everyone else not a chance."
In response to Reply # 87
Wed Nov-15-17 12:18 PM by Reeq

everyone else would have gotten smoked in a dem primary against hillary (bernie did) so they most likely would have gotten less votes in the general too.

legsdiamond
79574 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 01:13 PM

90. "well as soon as Obama won everyone said Hillary was next"
In response to Reply # 88

my point is Hilldawg shoulda stepped aside and let a young live nigga handle that shit.

Obama was our anti establishment pick (even tho he wasn't) but he had the youth, the swag, the pimp walk...

and then we went back to the old guard.

didn't make any sense.

flipnile
13571 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 09:49 AM

80. "Just for fun, let's put on the 1800s goggles for a bit:"

>I suspect it isn't about Hilary so much. I think all that ire
>was directed at Obama when he was in office and running for
>office.

https://images.dailykos.com/images/219776/story_image/Clinton-and-Obama-007.jpg?1457211831
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ed/bb/11/edbb1173836baaa895319ad5d9a49a7d--slavery-museum-absurdity.jpg

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 10:53 AM

85. ""anybody but hillary" is real."

<--- Big Baller World Order

ambient1
41077 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 01:18 PM

91. "it's (1 of) the reason i laugh when they say she didn't campaign certain"

places

their minds BEEN BEEN Been ben bin made up and weren't/ain't changing

yt folks really really hate that woman for some reason

Coolin...

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 10:38 AM

82. "Maybe their church will be next "
In response to Reply # 0

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5186 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 10:50 AM

83. "Damn "
In response to Reply # 82

---------------------------
Signature

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sun Nov-19-17 08:55 AM

93. "That's what that type of outlook can ultimately lead to "
In response to Reply # 83
Sun Nov-19-17 09:00 AM by Atillah Moor

And after centuries of folks such as these nurturing that perspective, maybe it's time?

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5186 posts
Wed Nov-15-17 10:53 AM

84. "Johnstown progressives are sick of national media painting them solely a..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/Blogh/archives/2017/11/10/johnstown-progressives-are-sick-of-national-media-painting-them-solely-as-trump-country

On Nov. 8, Politico published a story many in the Pittsburgh region have seen too many times. Reporter Michael Kruse traveled to Johnstown, in Cambria County, to talk to the same people he interviewed for a story published prior to Donald Trump being elected president. The reporting investigated whether Trump voters had soured on the president, and Kruse sought their input on the ongoing political and cultural wars nationwide. Like many dispatches from the Rust Belt by national publications, the story painted Johnstown as a no-hope town, overrun by drugs and blight, and still in love with Trump.

Since its publication, the Politico story has spread widely on social media, thanks to the explosive final quote in which a white, elderly Trump voter says NFL players are “Niggers for life.”

But progressives in Johnstown aren’t happy. Indivisible Johnstown, a progressive group that has held candidate forums for 2018 Democratic congressional candidates, responded on Facebook: “We are OUTRAGED that this POLITICO reporter and EVERY reporter who comes to Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is only looking to tell a story of American Carnage. … Many, many citizens here are not misogynistic, racists like the Neanderthals in this article. They are working hard to make a difference.”

Mary Lou Davis, of Indivisible Johnstown, says stories like these are stereotyping Johnstown negatively. “There is such a media slant, and I am getting tired that Johnstown is getting portrayed that way,” says Davis. She says Johnstown isn't only filled with racists and cynical residents. Davis notes that the night before the Politico article was published, Johnstown elected two African-American council members, both of whom are Democrats.

Davis says while Johnstown does have many problems typical of declining Rust Belt towns, it also has a lot to offer, like the well-established tourism and history organization, Johnstown Area Heritage Association. JAHA runs the popular Johnstown Flood Museum, a children's museum and an outdoor music venue.

“We have a symphony, we have an art community, we host a national triple-A baseball tournament every year,” says Davis. “They painted with such a broad brush. The Politico piece just made us very very angry.”

Johnstown has also already started plans to redevelop its riverfront, and hundreds of residents are letting go of the idea that heavy industry will return and save the town. Johnstown'sTribune-Democrat reported in September 2016 that more than 200 people attended a meeting to develop a vision to redevelop areas along the city's riverbanks, so they "become a central asset for recreation, economic development, art and culture, and environmental restoration."

Many parts of Johnstown are pleasant, like Central Park (seen here), but Politco only focused on blight.
But on paper, Johnstown fits perfectly into the “Trumptown” narrative frequently spread by out-of-town media. Cambria County’s biggest city is poor (its median household income is about $24,000), it’s mostly white, and the town has been experiencing population decline since the 1930s. However, according to online voting-record data, Johnstown marginally supported Hillary Clinton by 1 percentage point.

Regardless, there are many Trump supporters in Johnstown and the surrounding area who are low-income, elderly whites who have seen their towns slowly decline thanks to factories closing. Pennsylvania polls show Trump is still widely popular in Southwestern Pennsylvania (outside of Allegheny County). But Trump’s support is not just in old, declining Rust Belt towns; in 2016, Trump had plenty of backers in wealthy suburbs.

Take Adams Township in southern Butler County. The township is about a 30-minute drive from Downtown Pittsburgh, along the well-traveled interstate I-279. While Adams, like Cambria County, is overwhelmingly white, it’s just a few-minutes drive on newly paved roads to country clubs and big-box stores in the even-more affluent Cranberry (which backed Trump). The casual-chic Hines Ward’s Tavern 86 restaurant is less than half a mile from Adams' border. Adams' median household income is $65,000, well above the Pennsylvania average, and Adams is one of the fastest-growing towns in the Pittsburgh region.

But Adams also voted for Trump, and by a bigger margin than Cambria County. The town backed Trump by a 39 point margin over Clinton (68 percent voted for Trump, 29 percent for Clinton). So why don't national publicans travel to wealthy suburbs like Adams to write stories about Trump supporters? Electorally, they provide similar support.

Cambria County, with a population 134,000 residents, provided about 42,000 total votes for Trump. But a cluster of nine well-off suburbs north of Pittsburgh with a population similar to Cambria County provided about the same amount Trump votes. The suburbs bordering one another — Cranberry and Adams in Butler County; Economy and New Sewickley in Beaver County; and Pine, Franklin Park, Marshall, Richland and McCandless in Allegheny County — have a population of 137,000 and provided about 44,000 votes for Trump.

And while Pittsburgh’s suburbs have recently showed signs of becoming more liberal, and rural areas may be getting more conservative, it’s still upsetting to Davis that only places like Johnstown are considered "Trump Country". She said that Johnstown's wealthier suburbs, like Pittsburgh’s, should get more media focus.

“When you look at our wealthier suburbs, they overwhelmingly went for Trump,” says Davis. “And they are making Trump.”

---------------------------
Signature

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Sun Nov-19-17 09:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
94. "They've got a point"
In response to Reply # 84

While I love these rust belt towns getting put out there for their racism, we forget that college educated white males were the huge deciding factor...something which the media has shirked from because it's 'their people'. Despite what the hicks think blaming things on the poors has no color:

>And while Pittsburgh’s suburbs have recently showed signs of
>becoming more liberal, and rural areas may be getting more
>conservative, it’s still upsetting to Davis that only places
>like Johnstown are considered "Trump Country". She said that
>Johnstown's wealthier suburbs, like Pittsburgh’s, should get
>more media focus.
>
>“When you look at our wealthier suburbs, they overwhelmingly
>went for Trump,” says Davis. “And they are making
>Trump.”
>