Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13210370

Subject: "** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **" Previous topic | Next topic
Geah
Member since Feb 16th 2007
48407 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 07:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **"

Word.

@geahuwine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
"When you have a kid you'll understand" folks are annoying
Nov 08th 2017
i feel you, and i think you also have reasonable expectations that
Nov 08th 2017
*hit dog* I'm guilty of that :( I generally try not to frame it from the...
Nov 08th 2017
Oh. Nah. This was 100% off boards.
Nov 08th 2017
      FELT!!!! especially this:
Nov 08th 2017
I was in that boat until I had one
Nov 08th 2017
      I feel like there's value in listening on both sides
Nov 08th 2017
           Man, I completely get what you're saying.
Nov 08th 2017
went to visit 3 daycares for the youngins
Nov 08th 2017
how did the teacher handle the kid?
Nov 08th 2017
      She tried to make the kid apoligize
Nov 08th 2017
           yeah, i feel you. another reason i'm glad i have boys.
Nov 08th 2017
**rolls dice**
Nov 08th 2017
Real talk.
Nov 08th 2017
bruh.. I feel you on the cousins tip
Nov 08th 2017
      RE: bruh.. I feel you on the cousins tip
Nov 08th 2017
           We are definitely looking into moving for school
Nov 08th 2017
I got my favorite bartender a job at my job
Nov 08th 2017
deray mckesson tweeted "gotta here both sides"
Nov 08th 2017
it's an OKP/Desus thing
Nov 09th 2017
RE: ** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **
Nov 08th 2017
Fuck cubicles and speakerphones.
Nov 08th 2017
Here, they have loud conversations all day. ALL DAY.
Nov 09th 2017
      At HQ there's a library that I used to go
Nov 09th 2017
I hate hvac companies, they're a fucking racket. And I really wish my be...
Nov 08th 2017
My brother in law does plumbing do he prolly knows someone
Nov 08th 2017
Word, and that's the thing, I have TWO guys that can do EVERYTHING
Nov 08th 2017
      What’s the problem? Is it not turning on?
Nov 09th 2017
           there's a leak in the line somewhere.
Nov 09th 2017
                UPDATE: he found the cot damn leak!!
Nov 10th 2017
                     I use yelp to find folks for housework.
Nov 12th 2017
                          that's good to know, thanks
Nov 13th 2017
Bruh, my old country house in VA needs HVAC work so bad.
Nov 09th 2017
What kinda work? Too much to do yourself?
Nov 09th 2017
      yeah, i've been able to recharge it to keep it going
Nov 09th 2017
           bro, what kind of heat do you have, where there's a leak?
Nov 09th 2017
                heat pump. there's a leak somewhere in the line or system
Nov 09th 2017
                     ohhhh...ok. always heard about heat pumps...
Nov 09th 2017
                     huh?
Nov 09th 2017
                     every house doesn't have a heat pump, fam...
Nov 09th 2017
                          haha, yeah i am aware of that.
Nov 09th 2017
                               my bad....I dunno, maybe it's regional...
Nov 09th 2017
                                    oh nah, no need to "my bad". and it may be regional, i dunno.
Nov 09th 2017
                                         LOL...I know a dude that lives way out that has a kerosene tank...
Nov 09th 2017
                                              yep, big ass truck would pull up and he'd drag a long ass hose
Nov 09th 2017
                     Is a heat pump like a boiler with freon instead of water?
Nov 09th 2017
                          a heat pump is basically a normal air conditioner in the summer...
Nov 09th 2017
                               so both AC and heat run up your electric bill?
Nov 13th 2017
                                    yes, but there's no gas bill.
Nov 13th 2017
                                         my gas bill is next to nothing though
Nov 13th 2017
                                              word. and yeah, i was gonna say but you in LA!! haha
Nov 13th 2017
                     soap and water
Nov 13th 2017
                          yeah no doubt. when dude did find the leak he used that to pinpoint
Nov 13th 2017
                               nice, was it expensive?
Nov 13th 2017
                               nope! 175 for both trips to my house.
Nov 13th 2017
                               bet
Nov 13th 2017
yep
Nov 08th 2017
i slipped into a mode
Nov 09th 2017
get yourself better
Nov 13th 2017
I need to get out of my feelings in more ways than one
Nov 09th 2017
real talk
Nov 10th 2017
My ear for music is pretty gotdamn good
Nov 09th 2017
dope
Nov 09th 2017
A few.
Nov 09th 2017
ohshitohshitohshit (c) Mash Comp
Nov 09th 2017
      smiling at each other like two idiots the whole evening.
Nov 10th 2017
Coworker just said in a meeting that "we're in a K-hole"
Nov 10th 2017
lmao
Nov 10th 2017
lol...why would he say that at work?
Nov 10th 2017
I saw an OKP in Manhattan a few weeks ago that I knew
Nov 12th 2017

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. ""When you have a kid you'll understand" folks are annoying"
In response to Reply # 0

As if raising your child can't be intentional.
I don't want her to have an iPad, no matter how easy it is to placate her, it's not something we want so she won't have one
We don't want to take her to bars / pubs; don't want her around drunk people like that and don't want to be monitoring her every move while enjoying a drink

We definitely understand that there will be changes from how we want to treat her to how we end up treating her. But the assurance that we'll end up doing the things we dislike is meh.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:14 PM

5. "i feel you, and i think you also have reasonable expectations that"
In response to Reply # 1

things may/will change once you're in the actual role. i know shit did for us for sure (the tablet being one of those things).

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:28 PM

7. "*hit dog* I'm guilty of that :( I generally try not to frame it from the..."
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Nov-08-17 12:29 PM by FLUIDJ

aspect of parenting choices and style though.. More along the lines of "Don't comment on my stance on this until you have a kid and can relate." or "Just wait till you have a kid, you'll understand where i'm coming from"...

If i've slipped here on the boards though....please know I only had good intentions...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:38 PM

14. "Oh. Nah. This was 100% off boards. "
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Nov-08-17 01:41 PM by MEAT

We have a friend that's real loose with her kid. She came in town the other weekend and started romanticizing the kids in the bar idea.
Her contention was that that's how it's done in Europe. I stayed out of the conversations because we had already talked about it before.
A few days after she left, I started to dissect my real annoyance with the whole conversation. And it wasn't just the bar or the screens or the letting the kids run around, it was the whole idea of family and parenting that people have their different views but don't listen to others.

It's the idea that people can't be deliberate in their choices because "it's a kid and a kid changes everything"
Which is true, but doesn't leave the parent unaccountable for their kid. And it's weird to watch. It's weird to be around. And it explains the mindset of a lot of people.
That they'll only apply general rules and guidelines and the kid will determine everything else.
And for me it's not like that. I don't want to be overbearing, I do want to provide more freedom of growth and expression than I was allowed; but I still want to shape the environment. And I feels that's where a lot of people miss it.
That they see the environment of a family unit with a kid as the same one they had without it.
And we don't want that. Right now we sit on the couch until midnight binging YouTube and Netflix. We don't want to do that with a kid. We want to create a more interactive environment.
Right now if we go to a bar, I'm usually getting DRUNK. I don't want to be that around a kid, so I know I won't be taking her to a bar because I don't want to change my bar behavior.

And more than any of this, when we go out as a family we want to go out as a family. I don't want to go out with friends and treat a kid as a tag along. It's those things and a thousand others than may not work out exactly as we hope, but that we can be deliberate about trying to get them there.

And it feels like the "when you have a kid" crowd, is much more into letting the life change shape their reality as opposed to shaping the reality for the life change.

It feels like the "when you get married you'll understand" crowd. But the things people cautioned me about haven't been/won't be issues. Because we've been deliberate and communicative in our wants and progress.

------

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:18 PM

16. "FELT!!!! especially this:"
In response to Reply # 14

>That they see the environment of a family unit with a kid as
>the same one they had without it.

This is applicable on so many levels....from mundane stuff such as bedtime routines and dinner schedule on up to planning vacations and time off work....on up to religion.

>And more than any of this, when we go out as a family we want
>to go out as a family. I don't want to go out with friends and
>treat a kid as a tag along. It's those things and a thousand
>others than may not work out exactly as we hope, but that we
>can be deliberate about trying to get them there.

It's awesome that y'all are on the same page with this and talking about it, thinking about it, being about it. You can be deliberate and even if you have to alter your plans, at least you know you planned and thought ahead. Winging it just don't work when you stretch this parenting thing out long range. Things that you think are small...could have a lasting impact years down the line.

>And it feels like the "when you have a kid" crowd, is much
>more into letting the life change shape their reality as
>opposed to shaping the reality for the life change.

Yep...that mentality has contributed to the "nasty divorce" I mentioned one of my family members going through.

>It feels like the "when you get married you'll understand"
>crowd. But the things people cautioned me about haven't
>been/won't be issues. Because we've been deliberate and
>communicative in our wants and progress.

Same here. Same.Here. !

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:06 PM

11. "I was in that boat until I had one"
In response to Reply # 1

then I was like "oh, okay"

not saying they were right but I kinda get why people say it.

no matter how well you think you will be with these kids..

let's just say they will surprise you. Plus it's that little you looking back at you with that "daddy" face.

Stay strong!!!

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 04:41 PM

18. "I feel like there's value in listening on both sides"
In response to Reply # 11

But too often, and not just with kids, people who have experienced something don't LISTEN to the people set to experience things. Because then you end up giving blanket, non applicable advice, and it betrays the relationship you have with that person.

There are things I know about my sister that when she's looking for work or a car or a house that I can guide her based on who she is and what she's trying to do. If I just told her, "well here's how I did this" it wouldn't do any of us any good. Not to the degree of the relationship.

And that's where my issue is. It's not with the generic "you'll understand when" folks. It's the friends and family that have a large misreading on what you and just talk.

My mother the other day started talking about keeping old report cards for me so that we give her something to strive to. But I don't want her striving to that. Because it's a misreading of that. Grades only exist in a vacuum. I got great grades, I was very smart, but there was a lot that I could've learned but people just saw grades and didn't bother to teach me.

------

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 08:59 PM

21. "Man, I completely get what you're saying. "
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Nov-08-17 09:07 PM by KiloMcG

Your head is right and you're ready for this. You have a plan and idea of how you want this to go. But you also have an understanding that the plan might change as you get going. You're good, man. You're ready. You're doing a great job of listening to the things people say that you think are useful. It's great that you're going to be deliberate about shaping the environment and how you will raise your kids. I think me and you (you and I?) are on the same page when it comes to our approach to parenting. I like what I read up there.

Enjoy this, man. It's an incredible experience and you're going to be the best dad you can be. I'm happy for you, bruh.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:39 AM

2. "went to visit 3 daycares for the youngins"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-08-17 09:40 AM by legsdiamond

first place is like a gotdamn private school. they teach yoga, martial arts, spanish... looked at those numbers and woooooh. Can't do that. On the way home my wife was like "I saw 4 digits for the 5 month olds monthly bill"

2nd place, walked in, waited for 5 minutes. No one spoke or greeted us. I could snatched up a kid and left. The director apologized and said she was short staffed and if we could just wait a few minutes she would give us the.. nah, we will reschedule when its a better time. How about NEVER. Fuck that place.

This morning we went to a place and the director was waiting by the front door for us. They give you a pin code to get in. Place was clean. The people were black, everything seemed awesome. They even said said since my wife is working an AB part time schedule they will charge us for 2 days a week and 1 day extra every other week. This could work. My daughter stunted on them by walking over and counting up to 10 on the poster. She's 2 but Sesame Street, Super Why and our parenting has her on point. They were impressed.

Then a little boy pushed my daughter down when she reached for a stuffed animal. She cried. I wanted to step in but held back cause I wanted to see how the teacher would handle it and how my daughter would respond. She got up, sniffed for a minute and looked at me and said "we out" and she walked over to the door like fuuck that shit. I wanted to punch that little nigga in his throat but I know that's part of being a 2 year old.

I don't like that shit tho... I don't like that shit at all.

This place might could work tho but man.. I really hated seeing my kid get hands put on her. My daughter is strong as shit and has a mean side but she is going to need to toughen up a bit if she goes there. I don't want her to lose who she is tho.

When we were leaving the teacher asked her if she would see her again.. my daughter looked back, sniffed and chucked the deuce up. I laughed.

Still mad as shit about that kid.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:19 PM

6. "how did the teacher handle the kid?"
In response to Reply # 2

but yo, don't get mad as shit over something like that unless it wasn't handled properly by the staff. kids can be dicks, yo.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:41 PM

8. "She tried to make the kid apoligize"
In response to Reply # 6

Also said some kind words to my child.

They are only 2 tho and he may have been a little younger so there isn’t much she could do but at least she was proactive.

I know that shit will occur but I still couldn’t help it. Now I’m imagining it happen when I’m not around to comfort her. I know it’s part of being a kid but man... that’s my baby.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:42 PM

9. "yeah, i feel you. another reason i'm glad i have boys."
In response to Reply # 8

>Now I’m imagining it happen when I’m not around to comfort
>her. I know it’s part of being a kid but man... that’s my
>baby.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "**rolls dice**"
In response to Reply # 0

the other night while talking to my new suitor he asked me "Trinity, why do you think so much". I laughed and told him I'd have to think about that". I love how he gazes at me when I'm speaking. its a think of beauty. He listens as I speak and then asks the most revealing questions. Our meeting is Saturday and I'm not sure what to wear since he's a stylish man. I'm considering going causal just to see his reaction. I like him...

I'm going to the Jay Z concert alone.

I put everything one the line for the business and now I'm broke. Like seriously and I was a little down about it. Then I remembered what my mother once told me, "there's no use of crying about bills, you'll have them forever". I don't anymore because somehow I have been able to stay afloat. My son is a hustler. I hired an accountant because keeping the books became too much for me. I just need a lawyer now..

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:13 PM

4. "Real talk."
In response to Reply # 0

Think we need to look into moving from this area...
The daily grind is wearing on the wiz and I can see it...yesterday, she was in traffic in the 9th st tunnel for an hour. We live less than 5 miles away. I told her never take the tunnel...but the little one loves it so she caved and took it... As our oldest gets closer to grade school we're increasingly worried about exactly how that's gonna play out. Elementary school don't start until 9fucking15 AM! I'm at work at 6am...Wife starts at 8am....youngest kid daycare starts at 7:30am. It's us...that's it...no aunties or grands nearby to help out. None of that. The pay up here is good..but damn, it don't mean shit when you look at the cost of living... So when you really look at the money coming in...and see what's going OUT ...JUST to exist up here...it's really pretty clear that we're at the hustling backwards stage...

Also, schools...the county is supposed to be one of the top in NOVA...but the closer our oldest gets to kindergarten (next fall) there's an undercurrent of "SHOULD we still look into private schools?". This was REALLY spurred on by last weeks Blackish episode...

Also, by the end of next year, i'll be the last of my immediate family still living up here. The rest are slowly migrating back to NC. Some by choice (age and retirement), and some by force (beginning of a nasty divorce). I've spent the past damn near 20 years up here keeping them at a distance for whatever selfish reasons I can't even pin down or recall now....but now, the prospect of REALLY being alone up here is starting to hit me. Fck man...I don't want to be alone for REAL for real....

Also, on the upside, one of my distant cousins that's still up here just reached out a few weeks ago. His daughter just had their first kid...a little girl...born in the spring... and THAT got me hype because our youngest daughter actually has a bonafied cousin within arms reach that should could potentially come up with! We've always felt kinda bad that our kids didn't have any family in their age range nearby...We trying to link up and catch up...hopefully soon... Although neither of them are old enough to really PLAY play together...it'd be cool to see them together..

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:03 PM

10. "bruh.. I feel you on the cousins tip"
In response to Reply # 4

closest cousins are in Richmond and sometimes I wonder if it would be cool to move close so they could have them to kick it with. I grew up with hellafied cousins.

Can't wait for thanksgiving so they can chill together and then next year we will hit up the family reunion to make sure they know all their fam like I did growing up.

as far as private school is concerned. Ugh.. nah, just no. But then again, we just hit up a few daycares and if her public school is like the second daycare? nah bruh..

but hopefully we can find a nice balance and tone reason we are looking at daycare is because once my wife is in the CMS school system I think we can choose any school regardless of zoning.

daycare will put us up against it tho.. I gotta get my paper up.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:37 PM

13. "RE: bruh.. I feel you on the cousins tip"
In response to Reply # 10

>closest cousins are in Richmond and sometimes I wonder if it
>would be cool to move close so they could have them to kick it
>with. I grew up with hellafied cousins.

Yeah same here. I'm STILL finding out about new cousins at 40 years old!

>Can't wait for thanksgiving so they can chill together and
>then next year we will hit up the family reunion to make sure
>they know all their fam like I did growing up.
>
>as far as private school is concerned. Ugh.. nah, just no. But
>then again, we just hit up a few daycares and if her public
>school is like the second daycare? nah bruh..

It's weird, the hype machine is strong. All the talk about classroom sizes, individualized attention, resources, etc... I'm like...DAMN...maybe we are setting them up for failure if we don't at least look into it. From a financial aspect, we already paying for daycare, and private school is probably going to be about the same price we're already paying monthly if we are able to secure financial aid. But yeah, on the flipside i'm like "NAH"... just never know the right choices when it comes to stuff like this and kids.

>but hopefully we can find a nice balance and tone reason we
>are looking at daycare is because once my wife is in the CMS
>school system I think we can choose any school regardless of
>zoning.
>daycare will put us up against it tho.. I gotta get my paper
>up.

Yeah, all the talk about college affordability...how about some DAYCARE affordability!

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:08 PM

15. "We are definitely looking into moving for school"
In response to Reply # 13

Ain’t no way I’m paying daycare prices for 18 years.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:32 PM

12. "I got my favorite bartender a job at my job"
In response to Reply # 0

Didn't really think it would happen but it looks like she will get it so now I've lost my favorite bartender and have a new co-worker who has seen me all the way fuzzzed up.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 02:26 PM

17. "deray mckesson tweeted "gotta here both sides""
In response to Reply # 0

Is that a desus/OKP thing or does it predate this place?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

xandra360
Member since Nov 24th 2004
3161 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 12:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "it's an OKP/Desus thing"
In response to Reply # 17

otoh we don't know if Deray was/is an OKP

~~~~~~~**~~~~~~~~

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 05:03 PM

19. "RE: ** CONFESSION WEDNESDAY **"
In response to Reply # 0

I've put a lot of miles on my car & the transmission give out the
other day. This car is almost paid off so I'm gonna take that $1200 to
the chin effa trade in lol.

This has been the greatest year of my life for real. How I packed this
much fun and adventure in one year I have no idea lol.

Only one I could see myself settling down with at this moment & she
ain't down. I really just had to know tho, it was a win to me
regardless just to know my options.

NYC was fun and interesting lol. Not my favorite place ever for a few
reasons but always great to visit.

Had to cut a long time hater loose. Had plenty of chances to get it
together smdh.

Back in LA next week. May be my last outing for the year.

Life is good.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

MEAT
22257 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 06:08 PM

20. "Fuck cubicles and speakerphones. "
In response to Reply # 0

------

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:15 AM

32. "Here, they have loud conversations all day. ALL DAY."
In response to Reply # 20

Good thing is I work off a laptop instead of a desktop, so I just up and leave and find an empty quiet desk somewhere else in the building.

MEAT
22257 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:20 AM

34. "At HQ there's a library that I used to go "
In response to Reply # 32

I get the mentality of the people that have these calls and talks and I recognize that they're the dinosaurs from their convos
They're the people that all of our digital tools are made for.
Those of us generating formulas and doing deep dives need a bit of quiet to think
They just need numbers and to ask questions.

------

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:09 PM

22. "I hate hvac companies, they're a fucking racket. And I really wish my be..."
In response to Reply # 0

lived up here instead of in Hampton, for many reasons, but also because he does all this shit and won't try to rip me tf off.

And also, anyone know any hvac certified cats in Richmond that want to do some side work?

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:23 PM

24. "My brother in law does plumbing do he prolly knows someone"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed Nov-08-17 11:25 PM by legsdiamond

Only problem is dude is on one right now. I wouldn’t feel right cause while dude is cool as a fan I have no fucking idea where his head is right now.

I lucked up down here. My neighbor does hvac and is fair as hell. I need to holla at him too cause the kids rooms are the other side of the house and aren’t getting enough heat. Something must be blocking it cause the room with the furnace is hot as hell.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:31 PM

25. "Word, and that's the thing, I have TWO guys that can do EVERYTHING "
In response to Reply # 24

except fucking hvac shit. Between the two of them they could build a cot damn house, but can't do hvac.

And when I asked them for contacts all they had were companies to refer. It's getting cold, I need my heat working. But I don't like paying for shit when I know it doesn't have to be so high..... But I need the fucking heat to work.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 08:37 AM

27. "What’s the problem? Is it not turning on? "
In response to Reply # 25

I have an older furnace and sometimes it doesn’t heat up and I have to open it and find this little metal piece that needs to be cleaned in order for the heater to recognize it’s reached the correct internal temperature.

Pretty sure there is a light that blinks if their is a problem and the number of blinks is a code for the problem.

Maybe someone on here has had the same problem as you and can welp our.

I use YouTube videos too.

You at also try resetting the heater. Turn off the breaker and wait a few minutes and turn it back on and put the temp 10 degrees higher than whatever the temp is in the house.

Last but not least, check or replace the batteries in your thermostat.

Good luck.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 09:58 AM

29. "there's a leak in the line somewhere. "
In response to Reply # 27

it just needs to be found and fixed. a company came out yesterday to do that, claims they couldn't find it without doing a whole bunch more shit. thankfully i was able to connect with a guy who had come out a couple years ago and he's gonna come by after work, hopefully this evening.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:53 AM

54. "UPDATE: he found the cot damn leak!!"
In response to Reply # 29

it was a little wet outside to fix it last night, but he's gonna come back and get it done hopefully this evening or the next day.

and fuck the company that couldn't find it the day before. the shit was pretty obvious when he showed me where it was and his detector thing was SCREAMING on that spot.

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Sun Nov-12-17 07:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
59. "I use yelp to find folks for housework."
In response to Reply # 54

they have a section for services and it's been really handy. its also saved me some cash. gotten hvac and electrical work done.

many times, I tell them the problem and they already know the issue. so they'll give me a price. then I can compare to whomever else responded via the site. lowest price normally wins, but its sometimes more about who can get to me first, depending on the issue.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 01:40 PM

60. "that's good to know, thanks"
In response to Reply # 59

thankfully, got it all fixed yesterday. in total i paid $175. that was for two trips, one to find the leak and then he came back yesterday an fixed it.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 09:38 AM

28. "Bruh, my old country house in VA needs HVAC work so bad. "

We want to rent out the old country farm house I grew up in but it gets cold as shit in the winter and the HVAC dude who came out to give a quote says it would take something like 20K to do the HVAC Work. We like you crazy.

Let me know if you find a recommendation.

flipnile
13575 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:12 AM

31. "What kinda work? Too much to do yourself?"

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:16 AM

33. "yeah, i've been able to recharge it to keep it going "
In response to Reply # 31

(illegally) and i've got my dude who comes up from Hampton here and there and he's tried to find the leak, but hasn't enough time to get all the way in the corner of the attic or check where the line is coming into the house from the outside of the attic. once the leak is found, it can be fixed, but it's not in the normal places where he was able to check. fixing the leak in the line is definitely out of my capabilities.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 12:53 PM

36. "bro, what kind of heat do you have, where there's a leak?"
In response to Reply # 33

and I'm not trying to be humorous, at all...I'm just not following.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 12:58 PM

37. "heat pump. there's a leak somewhere in the line or system"
In response to Reply # 36

where the freon is escaping. this isn't at all uncommon as there are may tools and methods to find said leaks.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:09 PM

38. "ohhhh...ok. always heard about heat pumps..."
In response to Reply # 37

but, never knew anyone that had one.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:20 PM

39. "huh?"
In response to Reply # 38

>but, never knew anyone that had one.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:34 PM

43. "every house doesn't have a heat pump, fam..."
In response to Reply # 39

my house has a traditional furnace and a/c unit that are separate.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:35 PM

44. "haha, yeah i am aware of that. "
In response to Reply # 43

just surprising you've never known anyone that has a heat pump.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:39 PM

45. "my bad....I dunno, maybe it's regional..."
In response to Reply # 44

I legit have never know anyone who's house had one.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:44 PM

46. "oh nah, no need to "my bad". and it may be regional, i dunno."
In response to Reply # 45

i've known and have lived in houses that had both, even lived in one rental house that had a damn oil furnace. that shit was expensive af fill. it would be helpful for me at this moment to have a furnace that wasn't connected to the outside unit so that i could still warm the damn house.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:48 PM

47. "LOL...I know a dude that lives way out that has a kerosene tank..."
In response to Reply # 46

that a truck has to come and fill every so often...it's big as fuck, too.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:52 PM

48. "yep, big ass truck would pull up and he'd drag a long ass hose"
In response to Reply # 47

to the back of the house to fill up the tank. then like 300 dollars later he'd leave. we hated those days.

flipnile
13575 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 05:56 PM

50. "Is a heat pump like a boiler with freon instead of water?"
In response to Reply # 38

I've never seen a heat pump either, but have lived in a few places with boilers. Those water lines snaking all over the house to every room seems like a nightmare if/when something goes wrong.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 06:04 PM

51. "a heat pump is basically a normal air conditioner in the summer..."
In response to Reply # 50

then in the winter, it pulls heat from either an air or water source and distributes it through the house. it's basically a reverse a/c in the winter. the compressor pushes freon through the system and instead of releasing that heat energy outside, it uses it to heat the house.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 02:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
62. "so both AC and heat run up your electric bill?"
In response to Reply # 51

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 02:34 PM

63. "yes, but there's no gas bill."
In response to Reply # 62

and it doesn't really run it up, per se, but yes both run on electricity.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:08 PM

66. "my gas bill is next to nothing though"
In response to Reply # 63

during most of the year its $15 a month. During winter it is around $50. But then that is California. I would imagine out your way gas would be in the hundreds during winter.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:21 PM

67. "word. and yeah, i was gonna say but you in LA!! haha"
In response to Reply # 66

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 02:38 PM

64. "soap and water"
In response to Reply # 37

get a spray bottle of soapy water

spray the visible pipes where you can

where/if it bubbles....voila

that's old school and universal for finding air or gas leaks

=======================================
Coolin...

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 02:39 PM

65. "yeah no doubt. when dude did find the leak he used that to pinpoint"
In response to Reply # 64

exactly where it was coming out. now it's fixed and my house is warm.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:29 PM

68. "nice, was it expensive?"
In response to Reply # 65

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:30 PM

69. "nope! 175 for both trips to my house."
In response to Reply # 68

one to find it (75) and one to fix it (100).

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 03:30 PM

70. "bet"
In response to Reply # 65

=======================================
Coolin...

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:17 PM

23. "yep"
In response to Reply # 0

With all this stress in my life lately, finally going to see a therapist on Tuesday. My sister talked me into it. Depression is a mf. I really need this thing to work. Got some things to unpack.

willi_dudat
Member since Jul 26th 2005
8272 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 08:28 AM

26. "i slipped into a mode"
In response to Reply # 0

of doing things with expectation and have been disappointed like a mug lately.

reprogramming back into cynical nihilist with a dash of optimism.

"It's the return of the gangsta, thanks ta..."

-du

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Mon Nov-13-17 02:13 PM

61. "get yourself better"
In response to Reply # 26

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 10:02 AM

30. "I need to get out of my feelings in more ways than one"
In response to Reply # 0

unemployment money is cool, but keeping afloat every two weeks isnt affording me the life I want

Chris Rock, Patrice O'Neal and this old man I used to argue with back in my barbershop in Philly before I knew shit about life were right about everything

I need to either confront someone from my past or just make peace with how they messed me up and move on with my life

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:18 AM

53. "real talk"
In response to Reply # 30

>I need to either confront someone from my past or just make
>peace with how they messed me up and move on with my life

Im feeling this sht right here. In the same boat.

Good luck with yours.

legsdiamond
79621 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:21 PM

40. "My ear for music is pretty gotdamn good"
In response to Reply # 0

Not trying to big myself up but I listen to a lot of music and my wife is always saying baby, they all up in your playlist when we watch TV and hear a song I was up on years ago.

So when I heard Lapsey on Queen Sugar last week I wondered who the fuck places these songs and how can I do it.

Which leads me to my LA trip tomorrow. I’m going to be around som me heavy weights and it’s going to be bittersweet. I have to keep reminding myself that I had my shot and made different choices and who knows if I would have my kids if I chose a different path.

Can’t wait to see my people. It’s going to be a VCU reunion out in LA. Mad Skills is DJing too. So hype.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:24 PM

41. "dope"
In response to Reply # 40

>Can’t wait to see my people. It’s going to be a VCU
>reunion out in LA. Mad Skills is DJing too. So hype.
>
>

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 01:25 PM

42. "A few."
In response to Reply # 0

I've been doing pretty well with the 'cutting people' off thing. Not out of spite. Some of my fams aren't good people. They know it, and I know it. It used to be humorous, but now? Notsomuch. So I've just been keeping a few at arm's reach. It's not personal, and we're still friends, but my life is a lot simpler without the negative influences around me.

I got a dry-snitcher at work.It's not like I'm not doing my work. She just goes out of her way to try to get people caught up. I'm doing my best to not snap off and call her out, but I'm at the edge.

and the best confession of all:

She'll be in town tonight. We haven't seen each other in the flesh since the summer. *swoon*

Back again for the first time.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 02:14 PM

49. "ohshitohshitohshit (c) Mash Comp"
In response to Reply # 42

>
>She'll be in town tonight. We haven't seen each other in the
>flesh since the summer. *swoon*

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 11:17 AM

52. "smiling at each other like two idiots the whole evening."
In response to Reply # 49
Fri Nov-10-17 11:17 AM by Shogun

it was awesome.

I really dig this woman.

Back again for the first time.

flipnile
13575 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 12:15 PM

55. "Coworker just said in a meeting that "we're in a K-hole""
In response to Reply # 0

Nobody knew what that meant. Except me, apparently. He ain't slick, lol.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 12:20 PM

56. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 55

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Fri Nov-10-17 12:28 PM

57. "lol...why would he say that at work?"
In response to Reply # 55

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Sun Nov-12-17 06:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
58. "I saw an OKP in Manhattan a few weeks ago that I knew"
In response to Reply # 0

but I did not speak. I was with another OKP so I feel as if I should of, oh well.

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13210370 Previous topic | Next topic