Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13210254

Subject: "AYDMF: "We must let go of the grudges from slavery" *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 06:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"AYDMF: "We must let go of the grudges from slavery" *swipe*"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-perspec-slavery-reparations-white-supremacy-1107-20171106-story.html

Some time ago, a relative forged another family member’s will, causing a cousin, the rightful heir, to lose all. I did all that I could to right the wrong. Eventually, the crime was exposed and my cousin was able to come into his rightful inheritance. Even so, I never talked to the perpetrator again. Years later, I felt the offense as if it occurred yesterday.

One morning while having breakfast with my daughter, I asked my daughter for her opinion: How might I let go of this old grudge? With teenage insight, she said, “Don't dwell on it. Move on. That’ll do it.” I took note and forgave my relative in that moment. The resentment dissipated.

Around that time, I wanted to hang a portrait of Gen. George Washington kneeling in prayer at Valley Forge. I am a second cousin of the first president, seven times removed, and I am African-American. The image inspired me.

My daughter, however, erupted in outrage. All she could see was a slaveholder.

“He won the American Revolution,” I said.

“I don't care,” my daughter replied.

“He was the greatest president ever,” I rejoined.

“I'm only related to Washington because he raped someone,” she said.

I flatly said there was no evidence whatsoever Washington had laid a violent hand on any of our slave ancestors.

Nuance and complexity eluded my daughter. President Washington might grace our currency, adorn the National Mall and hang on the walls of the White House, but, no, not the wall of our home. In this matter, slaveholding alone mattered to my intelligent daughter.

The greatest threat to a healthy black culture and consciousness today is an inability to see beyond slaveholding.

When we carry resentments in our hearts over generations, these resentments hurt us. Dwelling on slaveholding creates a desire to get back at others, to lash out. One feels entitled to destroy institutions due to the original sin of slavery.

If one wants to see unresolved pain acting out, look no further than reparations rhetoric and Ta-Nehisi Coates, author of “Between the World and Me” and scribe of racial doom and gloom. Only unresolved pain can explain an unyielding focus on white supremacy. Passing along resentments to children, as Coates has done in his writings, scars the young. The resulting scars compel the impressionable to despise our country, our shared bond as countrymen. The pain flows from slavery and continues into infinity.

Slavery was far worse than anyone living can imagine. And that's the problem. We know slavery as a Hollywood production — “Roots,” “Twelve Years a Slave,” “Django Unchained.” Even the National Museum of African American History and Culture, while important, doesn't do slavery justice. Every American should read “American Slavery As It Is” by Theodore Weld. From cover to cover. Don't stop as you tremble. Once you close this book on slavery, you will feel bad for several days. I did. That is healthy. And when you come out the other side, you will feel peace, even gratitude that our country fought a war to end slaveholding. Thoughts of slavery will lose power over you.

Our task today is to live free of these atrocities in our minds. We shouldn’t forget the past. We should let go of old grudges from slavery. We simply move on as Americans and feel compassion for one another across the color line.

Our ancestors would want us to move on and live our lives to the fullest today. We dishonor our ancestors if we bring trials and tribulations from their times into our times. We disrespect our ancestors with limited and negative thinking, while living in the greatest country ever.

I give thanks every day that, on one snowy day in 1777, Gen. Washington prayed at Valley Forge. And that prayer gave Washington faith to carry on.

I can see beyond slaveholding.

W.F. Twyman Jr.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, Black folk BEEN over slavery...
Nov 07th 2017
Church!
Nov 08th 2017
where is the Drop Squad when we need them?
Nov 07th 2017
I stopped reading at rationalizing rape
Nov 07th 2017
washington ripped the healthy teeth out of slaves
Nov 08th 2017
Dude sounds so proud too
Nov 08th 2017
His original version of this was it was a form of self-loathing for
Nov 08th 2017
Slept on the couch for 2 days? Dude sounds pathetic
Nov 08th 2017
what a clown. probably got white Jesus hanging up in the bathroom...
Nov 08th 2017
lol
Nov 08th 2017
type of clown who works in being related to Washington within
Nov 08th 2017
      I bet he only carries ones too...
Nov 08th 2017
           thats a whole lotta great great great grandaddies right there
Nov 08th 2017
where's the stfu button?
Nov 08th 2017
An for SEO's sake, W.F. Twyman Jr. is a clown on that Clarence Thomas
Nov 08th 2017
gotdamn that dude is an asshole
Nov 08th 2017
i used to try really hard to understand people like him
Nov 08th 2017
He doesn't seem like he respects his pop, either
Nov 08th 2017
this dude...smh...
Nov 08th 2017
It's the life equivalent of the "nerdy black guy in HS" meme:
Nov 08th 2017
LOL!!! Damn...you right! never even picked up on that. DEEEEP...
Nov 08th 2017
Spite can be a hell of a motivator.
Nov 09th 2017
nah, she's Black
Nov 08th 2017
      I'd bet Dollars he ain't still married.
Nov 08th 2017
      lol..damn, what the hell does that statement mean then??
Nov 08th 2017
           one of her descendants was the first Black man on capital hill in 1870
Nov 08th 2017
like...why? what is even the point of this article?
Nov 08th 2017
      to get a pat on the back from
Nov 08th 2017
I'll let go the "grudge" if wypipo let go everything they gained from it
Nov 08th 2017
first they would have to admit benefit, and thats NEVER gonna happen
Nov 08th 2017
      Benefit? What about their tax burden, black-on-black crime...
Nov 08th 2017
fake news
Nov 09th 2017
let's jump him (c) Big Smoke Dogg
Nov 09th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 06:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yeah, Black folk BEEN over slavery..."
In response to Reply # 0

...it's all the shit that's happened since then (and still happening) that we're not over.

lol @ this dude hanging GW paintings in his house. My favorite "time machine" question has long been "If you and I were walking through Philadelphia in the late 1700s and saw GW, how do you think we'd be treated?"

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Church!"
In response to Reply # 1

>...it's all the shit that's happened since then (and still
>happening) that we're not over.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 06:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "where is the Drop Squad when we need them?"
In response to Reply # 0

fuck you.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 06:55 PM

3. "I stopped reading at rationalizing rape"
In response to Reply # 0

So... forcibly removing someone from their homeland and selling them into bondage...is courtship to this father of a young girl

FOH!

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 05:50 AM

4. "washington ripped the healthy teeth out of slaves"
In response to Reply # 0

for his dentures.

he held slaves. PERIOD. full stop. thats enough right there.

tear down his memorial, rename all the schools and fuck him for life

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 05:53 AM

5. "Dude sounds so proud too"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 07:12 AM

6. "His original version of this was it was a form of self-loathing for"
In response to Reply # 0

black people to hate their slave owning ancestors.

http://hlrecord.org/2017/09/letter-to-the-editor-turning-point-of-self-loathing/
"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 08:29 AM

8. "Slept on the couch for 2 days? Dude sounds pathetic"
In response to Reply # 6

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 08:08 AM

7. "what a clown. probably got white Jesus hanging up in the bathroom..."
In response to Reply # 0

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:30 AM

11. "lol"
In response to Reply # 7

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:35 AM

12. "type of clown who works in being related to Washington within"
In response to Reply # 7

5 minutes of meeting him.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 10:08 AM

14. "I bet he only carries ones too..."
In response to Reply # 12

how many great great great grandaddies do I owe you?

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:22 PM

23. "thats a whole lotta great great great grandaddies right there"
In response to Reply # 14

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 08:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "where's the stfu button?"
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 09:46 AM

13. "An for SEO's sake, W.F. Twyman Jr. is a clown on that Clarence Thomas"
In response to Reply # 0

of throwing his sister under the bus.

http://www.stcroixreview.com/index.php/past-issues/item/85-another-black-woman

This was an interesting read because his life is similar in many regards, but very different in one important regard (my parents were professionals). I think that probably made a big difference in his apparent shame and rejection of blackness and embracing of whiteness.

So weird to see someone have so many of the same experiences and draw such vastly different conclusions.

I will admit though, there is something to his point about introvertedness.

More than that, what type of person could talk about their own sister like that?

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 10:14 AM

15. "gotdamn that dude is an asshole"
In response to Reply # 13

why are so many lawyers assholes? lol

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 10:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "i used to try really hard to understand people like him"

or at least, expose myself to their thoughts. but now, fuck em all. i just need to protect myself.

"Another Black Woman". Great. He can go to hell

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:42 AM

18. "He doesn't seem like he respects his pop, either"

>More than that, what type of person could talk about their own
>sister like that?

His janitor pop that sacrificed to allow him the opportunities to be in the position that he's in now.

He has a point about introversion, but it's so mixed-in with all of his personal issues that it's too difficult to distill.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:47 AM

19. "this dude...smh..."

"That I married a Yalie from an Old Family and live minutes from the ocean in San Diego makes for a Hollywood story of poor boy makes good."

Is that code for I married a good white woman??

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:18 PM

22. "It's the life equivalent of the "nerdy black guy in HS" meme:"
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Nov-08-17 12:20 PM by flipnile

https://satanforce.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/why-cant-i-find-a-good-man.jpg

Dude got hurt somewhere in life (like we all do), but he carries around his hurt in a $20,000 luggage set with the price tag sill on.

Edit: Always makes me laugh that you can see the hurt on the "after" guy's face, meanwhile the woman in the cartoon is still smiling.

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:24 PM

25. "LOL!!! Damn...you right! never even picked up on that. DEEEEP..."
In response to Reply # 22
Wed Nov-08-17 12:25 PM by FLUIDJ

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
32. "Spite can be a hell of a motivator."
In response to Reply # 22

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:32 PM

26. "nah, she's Black"
In response to Reply # 19

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:23 PM

28. "I'd bet Dollars he ain't still married. "
In response to Reply # 26

FLUIDJ
44614 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:24 PM

29. "lol..damn, what the hell does that statement mean then??"
In response to Reply # 26

legsdiamond
79554 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 01:26 PM

30. "one of her descendants was the first Black man on capital hill in 1870"
In response to Reply # 29

or some shit.

He prolly only married her because he could say that shit at bars in DC.

They met on capital hill too

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:07 PM

21. "like...why? what is even the point of this article?"

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:36 PM

27. "to get a pat on the back from"
In response to Reply # 21

the readers of a "thoughtful journey for thoughtful people"

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 11:41 AM

17. "I'll let go the "grudge" if wypipo let go everything they gained from it"
In response to Reply # 0

til then FOH dumbass.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:00 PM

20. "first they would have to admit benefit, and thats NEVER gonna happen"
In response to Reply # 17

flipnile
13565 posts
Wed Nov-08-17 12:22 PM

24. "Benefit? What about their tax burden, black-on-black crime..."
In response to Reply # 20

...etc.

^ I think that's the usual progression

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 11:34 AM

31. "fake news"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-09-17 11:35 AM by Atillah Moor

whole story reads like a lie

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 12:32 PM

33. "let's jump him (c) Big Smoke Dogg"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Lobby General Discussion topic #13210254 Previous topic | Next topic