Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13205013

Subject: "How do you handle not getting a job?" Previous topic | Next topic
PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How do you handle not getting a job?"

I'm currently looking to transition out of my current position.

We're a small department and our company is cheap so not only can I not advance but I'm also underpaid compared to people who do the same job as me.

I had gotten a great interview for one of the Top 3 tech companies in the world. I interviewed w/ 5 managers in one day at their campus. I looked great, felt great and at the end of it I felt like it was the best interviews I've ever given. I asked great questions and gave great answers. After it was over I wrote great, personal thank yous.

I finally found out today, after 2 weeks of waiting, that they went with another candidate.

I'm crushed because I was really excited about the job AND it would have been a life-altering increase in salary at a time when my wife is unemployed and we are starting to get into dangerous territory with the amount of money we have available.

I mean, I guess I just keep plugging away. Thank them for the opportunity and tell them to keep me in mind for the next opening.

I dunno. I'm just bummed and needed to vent. But, if anyone has tangible advice for this situation or job hunting in general, I'd be happy to take it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I kept plugging away until I found something solid, now working on...
Oct 23rd 2017
thank you. i definitely try to brainstorm how can i turn...
Oct 23rd 2017
keep it pushing.
Oct 23rd 2017
thank you for your story.
Oct 23rd 2017
      are you going cold or working with a recruiter?
Oct 23rd 2017
           i've been just going dolo.
Oct 24th 2017
                nah. recruiters are the way to go with tech
Oct 24th 2017
                     ah, nah, my post was misleading. i'm not a tech guy.
Oct 24th 2017
                          well, thats the beautiful thing. recruiters come in all flavors.
Oct 25th 2017
I had a stretch where I was being turned down left and right
Oct 23rd 2017
Don't stop grinding
Oct 23rd 2017
prayers to you my friend.
Oct 23rd 2017
this happened to me with two different roles recently.
Oct 23rd 2017
that's what got me so geeked. they moved FAST with me.
Oct 23rd 2017
man. you gotta be a certain kinda black person to thrive in SV
Oct 23rd 2017
hall of fame baseball players are successful 3 out of 10x right?
Oct 23rd 2017
It's tough...
Oct 23rd 2017
I got rejected for a job at husband's company
Oct 23rd 2017
I feel your pain
Oct 23rd 2017
"was" not "wash"
Oct 23rd 2017
Stay positive. My wife was in a situation like that.
Oct 23rd 2017
First off, I feel you
Oct 23rd 2017
If you had a decent relationship w/a recruiter or hiring mgr
Oct 23rd 2017
Is tough. I had to take a break
Oct 23rd 2017
*It’s tough... damn, no wonder I didn’t get the gig.
Oct 24th 2017
have you transitioned yet or are you still GD?
Oct 24th 2017
my worst interview
Oct 23rd 2017
I had an interview like that...
Oct 24th 2017
      RE: I had an interview like that...
Oct 24th 2017
happened to me recently...
Oct 24th 2017
Got to keep it moving
Oct 24th 2017
If its a big company and you're really that dude they may keep you in...
Oct 25th 2017
same thing happened to me...except they told me they had another
Oct 25th 2017
Side hustle became my career
Oct 25th 2017
Nice
Oct 25th 2017
yup, not giving up yet, or ever, really.
Oct 25th 2017
You get used to it after awhile...
Oct 25th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I kept plugging away until I found something solid, now working on..."
In response to Reply # 0

...working for myself.

FUCK job hunting. It's a huge catch-22 for me in many ways. I scare the fuck out of some people, make other people extremely nervous. Makes it hard to develop rapport. Hard to be confident when your confidence is seen as aggression or arrogance.

Shit sucks, bruh. I remember ACING interviews, then... nothing. My advice to to not take it personally, keep plugging away but start looking at the big picture. Do you want to have to go through another job hunt again in the future? I sure don't.

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "thank you. i definitely try to brainstorm how can i turn..."
In response to Reply # 1

my passions into $$$.

haven't come up with anything yet but haven't given up either.

that's good advice because, yes, being your own boss is fantastic and not having to rely on that corporate "hand out" so to speak is even better.

i'mma keep grinding. no other choice to be honest, lol.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "keep it pushing. "
In response to Reply # 0

i might have told my story before

but about 5 years ago I was in a tight position and I interviewed at paypal

6 hour interview
1 hour test

thought I was really doing it up.

took a damn 1.5 hour train ride each way.

did not get the job.

but the crazy thing is that a good 6 months after everything settled I randomly ran into one of the hiring managers while on break from my retail job at the time. Bruh. I had the shirt and nametag on and everything.

Dude straight up said "Broh! You interviewed so well, we really liked you, but as corporate moves go the role AND the department died on the vine before we could do anything...if you had gotten the job you would have been in a bad place, like, no more job or shuffling bad"

That put everything into perspective...I know things are tight but it made me realize that everything has a time and a place. It also make me tighten up.

Have you considered having a panel review with fellow friends? Have them all be super duper brutally honest about you and your work. It will sting a bit but its the only way to go from 0 to 100 real quick. (not suggesting you are zero, suggesting that we could all use polish)

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:47 PM

7. "thank you for your story. "
In response to Reply # 2

yeah, i try to be that "everything happens for a reason" guy too and I usually am. just raw right now.

i'll get my mind right sooner than later.

a little peer review couldn't hurt. that's good advice.

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:59 PM

10. "are you going cold or working with a recruiter?"
In response to Reply # 7

i have a love hate relationship with recruiters
but the last place I worked with not only got me in front of a ton of people but I was literally off the market for 2 weeks before they placed me in a perm position with a big jump in pay

they do work

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 11:22 AM

25. "i've been just going dolo."
In response to Reply # 10

a couple recruiters have taken my resume and whatnot for some jobs they thought i might be a fit for, but nothing serious.

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 12:02 PM

27. "nah. recruiters are the way to go with tech"
In response to Reply # 25

and not all recruiters work the same subindustries

i just had a talk with a place that ONLY focused on finance

I'm also opening up talks with places that are more boutique

shop around.

you are the talent.

and there is way way WAY more money on the table than you would even begin to imagine.

best/craziest story I recall was through a friend who was a senior team member . he was being paid 65 an hour but after a no no talk with his onsite boss it was revealed that they were paying 240 an hour for the guy meaning the recruiter was taking a FUCKLOAD Off the top. Long story short, they fixed that shit and dude is caking.

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 01:37 PM

30. "ah, nah, my post was misleading. i'm not a tech guy."
In response to Reply # 27
Tue Oct-24-17 01:38 PM by PROMO

the job was at a tech company.

i'm an accountant.

double negative
22151 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 10:15 AM

32. "well, thats the beautiful thing. recruiters come in all flavors. "
In response to Reply # 30

I bet there are even recruiters who focus on placing accountants in tech companies, I mean, if thats your jam.

Overqualified
Member since May 03rd 2006
4543 posts

3. "I had a stretch where I was being turned down left and right"
In response to Reply # 0

Some of it may have been attributed to straight up racial shit that happens in law firms as I never got a straight answer why, just that I "didn't give them enough" or whatever. I had to honestly, look at the tape and see what I may have done wrong. I got with my mentors and asked them for some coaching up and it helped a lot. I really had to change the way I interview and prepare for the higher level positions I was going after - going from a conversation of "worker" to one of "leader". You'll get there, just gotta sharpen your skills and leave no doubt.

Streets won't let me chill.

Lil Rabies
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1586 posts

4. "Don't stop grinding"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm bout to reapply after 3 years to my dream job and was bummed like you after the first time. 3 years later and they are still looking. I know if they interview me again it's a wrap. I'll pray for you, please pray for me.

Taking shots in the dark/that's a bad call
Going straight for your head/ gotta saw it off

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:48 PM

8. "prayers to you my friend. "
In response to Reply # 4

thank you.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "this happened to me with two different roles recently."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-23-17 03:48 PM by Flash80

i'm overall 0-6 in the last two months of where i least began a phone interview (two of them being the final round).

it's def a punch to the gut when you walk outta the building saying, "damn, i aced the shit outta that interview", and then.... REJECTION.

i actually took to glassdoor to leave negative feedback about another company, where the hiring manager had changed the job description, but didn't repost it. so it felt like a curveball when i phone screened. she also said their #1 candidate had backed out of an offer two days before his start date because his current company made a counter. she said she was bummed 'cause she wasn't given the chance to counter the counter.

so tacky to disclose that.

also, i just roll my eyes now when i see "diversity" plastered on the corp's website, then i walk in the building as an SFDC-certified/fully-qualified candidate, yet see the least diverse group of people for miles (unless you consider white women satisfying 100% of "inclusion initiatives), and then get the rejection or never hear back anyone. welcome to silicon valley.

it can feel frustrating and a waste of time to go through a process --- especially how many incompetent (tech) recruiters are out there now --- but you gotta keep it moving, bro. something gon stick.

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:51 PM

9. "that's what got me so geeked. they moved FAST with me."
In response to Reply # 6

and it's funny like you know when you're first out of college and there's a job and sometimes your trying to make your resume fit the job. well this job listing looked like my resume legitimately.

so, there was that. then i have one phone interview on a Monday with their recruite. 2nd interview was with the hiring mgr that same week on Friday. i was on campus for the in persons a week later.

so, shit was just rolling so quick i'm like "damn, they must want me" then i crush the interviews and i'm thinking i'm good money. i mean, they say there's always someone better and its usually true and it's fine.

i'm just butthurt right now. it'll heal.

thanks g.

double negative
22151 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:02 PM

11. "man. you gotta be a certain kinda black person to thrive in SV"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't mean "new black" either

its like you have to toe the line between being Ta Nehesi "let me tell you about yourself" Coates and Baratunde Thurston with a bit of Neil DeGrasse Tyson thrown in

black and palatable

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:12 PM

12. "hall of fame baseball players are successful 3 out of 10x right?"
In response to Reply # 0

you only need to be successful once.

I had been trying to get into HR all my life but my exp was in legal. I finally got an HR interview, thought i nailed it, waited 3 weeks and didn't get the job.

After interviewing me, they realized i was a perfect fit for another position they were in the process of creating. The hired me a few weeks later for what has become my dream job.

Keep ya head (and your confidence) up.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:17 PM

13. "It's tough..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-23-17 04:30 PM by Sleepy

But, I believe if it's for you, it's for you...

I can't believe how fortunate I've been not to get some jobs. You never know what is coming around the corner.

But you have to remain confident in your abilities. Never let it shake you...

If you've got some skills, it won't take too long for someone to realize it.

I was in a situation where my job was going away due to budget issues. Not my problem. But, once I realized that I was as skilled as I am...I realized that even if I was done there, I wouldn't be unemployed for long.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

rhchick
Charter member
15057 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "I got rejected for a job at husband's company"
In response to Reply # 0

He's been there for almost 10 years and the company takes recommendations (I was recommended by 3 different people) from current employees over outside hiring.

The position was in my field - I had experience in everything they wanted except the title itself, the manager even told me to my face that he 'really liked me and what I had to offer'. Turned out they hired another recommended person mostly based on job relation. Turns out her husband worked more closely with the department of the open position then my husband did.

I was pissed and couldn't believe that she was more qualified than me. I had my girlfriend look in the company directory and get her name. I stalked her on Facebook and found out she didn't qualify for shit. It was all based on her husband's relationship with the hiring manager and job relation.

When I get rejected, I usually send an email asking what factors disqualified me and do they have any advice for me moving forward. If you have the specific email address of one of your interviewers, then I would ask them. If the rejection notification came from a generic email then don't bother. I find that often times I'll get a response back. You never know and it's doesn't hurt to ask.

Just keep pushing and something will come soon.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:23 PM

15. "I feel your pain"
In response to Reply # 0

about 3 years ago I went through 4 rounds of interviews over a couple weeks for one job only to lose out in the last round.

the job was entirely in my wheelhouse and realistically they would have been lucky to get someone with as much experience as me (I practically wrote the book on it)

I was devastated because the last round of interviews really felt like a victory lap/formality...

it wash a totally crushing experience that hit me in my soul... I turned to folk here and higher powers I never used to believe in at all to find my way out of the hell hole I found myself in... amazingly it worked and with a little work I found my way out and into an even better situation.

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 05:11 PM

17. ""was" not "wash""
In response to Reply # 15

probably misspelled/typo-ed something in the interview too. *sigh*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 05:03 PM

16. "Stay positive. My wife was in a situation like that. "
In response to Reply # 0

Top 3 tech firm. Bunch of interviews, was close to the end. Just went different route.

here is the thing. Those places tend to have high turnover. The average tenure at a place like Google is 2.5 years because people move onward and upward.

A few months later she got a call from another recruiter at that firm because her name was in the system. Been there ever since.

Keep grinding.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 06:03 PM

18. "First off, I feel you"
In response to Reply # 0

>I had gotten a great interview for one of the Top 3 tech
>companies in the world. I interviewed w/ 5 managers in one day
>at their campus. I looked great, felt great and at the end of
>it I felt like it was the best interviews I've ever given. I
>asked great questions and gave great answers. After it was
>over I wrote great, personal thank yous.
>
Can you apply at tech giants ,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,etc?

if you're resume garnered that level attention from the one in the top 3 I bet you'd be a great candidate at the others too.

I'd work at Bing for the right dough

Keep strong - it *is* demoralizing. It's the wait that gets me.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 06:15 PM

19. "If you had a decent relationship w/a recruiter or hiring mgr"
In response to Reply # 0

hit them up thank them for their time and see if you can get some feedback.

Let them know you were super excited about the opportunity, etc. and see if they can offer advice/feedback on what you could do to be a stronger candidate next time around. Also see if there are other opportunities or jobs that would be a good for you on the horizon. They might know of some stuff coming up or in other departments, etc.

Sometimes the ultimate decision doesn't really have shit to do with the actual interview, because they might be hiring/promoting internally, and just interviewing outside candidates to double check. Sounds like you were close, regardless, so they liked something about what you offered.

Keep grinding and be open to whatever opportunities come your way. Good luck, man.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 09:09 PM

20. "Is tough. I had to take a break"
In response to Reply # 0

Both the wife and I are going through it right now.

We both have jobs but we aren’t where we need to be.

We are used to getting hired when we interview so now it’s like “wtf? Is cause I’m black, my age, my interview, etc?

Last place said it was neck and neck but they went with the other guy. The commute was far so I wasn’t too upset.

I took a break for a few weeks but I need to get back on it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 07:27 AM

23. "*It’s tough... damn, no wonder I didn’t get the gig. "
In response to Reply # 20

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
22151 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 11:58 AM

26. "have you transitioned yet or are you still GD?"
In response to Reply # 20

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 10:05 PM

21. "my worst interview"
In response to Reply # 0

I shouldn't have been interviewing at the time. I was still fucked up from losing my mom but my money was getting tight and I know I couldn't mope and grieve forever.

My worst interview, I lost because I didn't study or approach the job with any kind of interest. It was supposed be 2 morning interviews, lunch, then 2 afternoon interviews. We sat down and talked about my resume, everything looked great. Then I did some whiteboard coding problems. They walked me out after lunch. I took the bus home at 1pm.

That fired my ass up for my Tuesday interview, which was followed by a Friday job offer.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 07:01 AM

22. "I had an interview like that..."
In response to Reply # 21

when I opened up my portfolio half my work was missing. Apparently I left it at home on the table. I printed a few new pieces and somehow didn't put it together properly. That threw me off my game and from there it went downhill. In my phone interview they raved about one particular piece and I left it out.

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 01:03 PM

28. "RE: I had an interview like that..."
In response to Reply # 22

>when I opened up my portfolio half my work was missing.
>Apparently I left it at home on the table. I printed a few new
>pieces and somehow didn't put it together properly. That threw
>me off my game and from there it went downhill. In my phone
>interview they raved about one particular piece and I left it
>out.

Yeah for me they were raving about my resume .. freelance clients I had, that I went to CMU, etc

Then my performance on the whiteboard did nothing to back those up.

On some schadenfreude, that company went under in Jan 2016 so I wouldn't have even made it a full year there. Blessings in disguise. That interview did fuck up my ego though. Just the right amount.

StephBMore
Member since Sep 11th 2014
1373 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 09:49 AM

24. "happened to me recently..."
In response to Reply # 0

went on the first interview in July. Didn't hear anything back, then around early Sept, they ask me for another with the big bosses.When I get there, I had to wait 30 min for one of the ppl. Not a big deal but nerve wrecking. however, we hit it off, and we chat and I find out he's from my hometown. we have a great convo so he gives me tips for the next person. so while i'm waiting for her, i google info to use. meet her, and it's a good interview, not the best. she does question why i have so many short term jobs and i explain that i have been at my job for 5 years but i worked many grant funded positions prior which were shorter in duration. she asks me to explain some things about my research and i forget a word ("coercion") so that was a knock at me. however, when she asks me my interest, i name a new field in PH and she says she just got a grant to do research in that field. so now i'm like we are hitting it off. this is so great. blah blah blah.

last week i get an email that they are going to continue the hunt for a candidate. WOW. the HR person has brought me in to interview for 2 other positions besides this one, one i turned down after the first interview and the other they hired internally. he is still trying to get me in so he keeps telling me to apply but shit, that hurt so bad .

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 01:12 PM

29. "Got to keep it moving "
In response to Reply # 0

You can't control why someone else makes decisions for their business, there's so many factors whether good or bad. You just gotta keep it moving and know your worth and what you bring to the table, the more you get down about the last rejection the more you project it setting up for the next one. I try to only care about what I can control
----------

IG @h_n_z

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 10:13 AM

31. "If its a big company and you're really that dude they may keep you in..."
In response to Reply # 0

mind for something else.

My current job I thought I did great on all the interviews then at the end the hiring manager called me directly and told me they were going with someone else but they would probably have another position opening up soon and he would "keep me in mind" I thought it was bullshit but sure as shit 6 months later he called me and offered me a job.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 01:15 PM

34. "same thing happened to me...except they told me they had another "
In response to Reply # 31

position in mind for me...i thought they were bsing but they called me about 2 weeks later.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 01:07 PM

33. "Side hustle became my career"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m flourishing and never been happier
Long story short...if possible, keep more then one iron in the fire.

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 01:17 PM

35. "Nice"
In response to Reply # 33

PROMO
Charter member
30974 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 01:22 PM

36. "yup, not giving up yet, or ever, really."
In response to Reply # 33

jdevolve1
Member since Mar 04th 2003
4230 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 01:38 PM

37. "You get used to it after awhile..."
In response to Reply # 0

*shrugs* K.I.M.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13205013 Previous topic | Next topic