Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13204935

Subject: "Ex-Hasidics doc on Netflix "One of Us" questions" Previous topic | Next topic
j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 12:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ex-Hasidics doc on Netflix "One of Us" questions"

Anyone seen it?

caught it over the weekend, and like one of the protagonists I'm left asking myself
"this is allowed? In America?"

I get the insular us against the world never again way of life
but they are basically the poster children for not assimilating that Bannon and them assholes always talk about

They live in fucking Brooklyn but are against wi-fi and secular education
18 year olds that don't know basic math
question: the states and/or fed govt don't require religious schools to teach math, science, etc along with religious education?

Dudes beat their wives and cops can't do shit?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Ultra-orthodox Christians, Muslims and Jewish all seem kinda similar
Oct 23rd 2017
Ya, LDS is a good example
Oct 23rd 2017
Voting block + Mafia type moves
Oct 23rd 2017
sometimes i call it the enforced eutopia
Oct 23rd 2017
      Yup. The corruption always gets me tho
Oct 23rd 2017
           consolidated power is a drug man
Oct 23rd 2017
man, them niggas always looked crazy when we lived in BK
Oct 23rd 2017
that sounds kinda terrifying
Oct 23rd 2017
Big ass hats, long black preacher gear.. we had a name for them too
Oct 23rd 2017
I remember seeing a bunch hanging out the back of a box truck in BK...
Oct 23rd 2017
I'm from Brooklyn and grew up around Hasidic Jews...
Oct 23rd 2017
Lady in the doc explained how the holocaust trauma is their purpose
Oct 23rd 2017
"the village (Kiryas_Joel) has the highest poverty rate in the nation"
Oct 23rd 2017
      Isn’t that by design so they can get welfare?
Oct 23rd 2017
           Yeah. That matches perfectly with what Cornbread said
Oct 23rd 2017
           ya basically they manipulate their income source
Oct 23rd 2017
This reminds me of 1 of my favorite archived posts:
Oct 23rd 2017
man, i completely forgot about that. thanks lol
Oct 24th 2017
I think this whole culture should be David Simon's next target
Oct 23rd 2017
RE: I think this whole culture should be David Simon's next target
Oct 23rd 2017
I've seen 3 or 4 black Hasids in the 11 years I've been in Brooklyn.
Oct 23rd 2017
Probably just Orthodox and not Hasidic
Oct 23rd 2017
      There are a few Black hasids. I knew of one in Crown Heights.
Oct 23rd 2017
In Brooklyn my hood is heavily Satmar Hasidic.
Oct 23rd 2017
Brit Milah
Oct 23rd 2017
Oct 23rd 2017
Wait wait wait.. DIE from it? I thought shit was just a rash?
Oct 24th 2017
Not if you're a baby.
Oct 24th 2017
i wish i could unread this
Oct 24th 2017
might watch, my knowledge is still based on
Oct 23rd 2017
Started it last night
Oct 24th 2017
that custody thing. crazy
Oct 24th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 01:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Ultra-orthodox Christians, Muslims and Jewish all seem kinda similar"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-23-17 01:45 PM by flipnile

Always some backwards, "this is how us civilized people lived in 1024 AD" shit.

To answer your question, $$$ and connections are probably the reason it's allowed in the US.

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 01:54 PM

2. "Ya, LDS is a good example"
In response to Reply # 1

tons of money and power and thus are able to stay insulated and form communities like this that are only recently being exposed for what they are

https://www.rawstory.com/2013/11/polygamous-mormon-splinter-cult-still-rules-arizona-and-utah-towns/

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Voting block + Mafia type moves"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-23-17 02:05 PM by BigReg

At their polling places they literally have people telling who to vote for.

While they aren't in many of the traditional organized crime vices due to the nature of their religion* they are in businesses where the legal line is very grey and they are able to exploit/collude/corrupt/bully a la real estate, sales in jewelry, etc. This is key because the community i so insular the odds of someone snitching on you is basically nil. Doesn't always end up so sweet for em tho:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menachem_Stark_murder_case

Ultimately they are protected because they are seen as 'harmless' because they are white, they keep money and votes going to the right people in city hall, and they tend to try to ally themselves with conventional Judaism and cry anti-semetism at any critique even though they are disliked & distrusted by their fellow jews (technically mormons are christians, nahmean?)

Obviously this is for the big dawgs in the cult; everyone else is dirt poor and the money trickles down from the big dawgs and governmental programs/hustles that the big dawgs set up for em...making them even less likely to snitch/complain about outside issues.

*funniest thing about them is the dudes is as shady as you would expect for men with power in any big city. I knew a stripper who's life basically changed by being the side piece for one, my close friend's drug dealer era's major supplier was a hasidic dude. Do ya dirt like any mafioso, you just gotta take friday night/Saturday off, LOL.

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:07 PM

4. "sometimes i call it the enforced eutopia"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Oct-23-17 02:07 PM by GriftyMcgrift

and of course its one or a small group of peoples idea of eutopia

similar to a cult really

but the same aspects apply to insulated religous communites, cults, gangs(mafia), the military/LE etc...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Yup. The corruption always gets me tho"
In response to Reply # 4

im like religion is a base for alot of these things with strict morality...

...except the dudes in charge never really adhere to that and 'fuck you, you low level cult member, do what I say, not as I do, lol.'

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:35 PM

9. "consolidated power is a drug man"
In response to Reply # 5

and if you have any kind of natural charisma that draws people to you it becomes apart of your ego as in "it should be this way/i deserve this/im the chosen one" etc...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:13 PM

6. "man, them niggas always looked crazy when we lived in BK"
In response to Reply # 0

nah yo.. something ain't right.

Then one morning at the crack ass I saw hundreds of them in the basketball court huddled in a circle like some fucking horror movie.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:20 PM

7. "that sounds kinda terrifying"
In response to Reply # 6

>Then one morning at the crack ass I saw hundreds of them in
>the basketball court huddled in a circle like some fucking
>horror movie.

i mean, even if it was any group of people that would cause some alarm.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:14 PM

14. "Big ass hats, long black preacher gear.. we had a name for them too"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

flipnile
13565 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:21 PM

18. "I remember seeing a bunch hanging out the back of a box truck in BK..."
In response to Reply # 6

...they had on all-white for some reason, and were doing some weird "kick one leg up, then the other" while hanging off each other out the back of a moving box truck. I remember thinking, "how the fuck ain't they getting pulled over?" Then I smartened-up and got my ass up out of Williamsburg (I think).

Cornbread
Member since Jul 21st 2006
1150 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "I'm from Brooklyn and grew up around Hasidic Jews..."
In response to Reply # 0

They are allowed to have their own set of rules because they have significant power politically and economically and have been that way for generations (see Jesse Jackson - https://vimeo.com/139091477).

They buy off politicians and are incredibly unified and loyal. They also exist off a ton of federal and state funds. They know how to work the system. They are the real "welfare queens." I used to take government assistance cases (food stamps, welfare, etc.). They know the law better than the practitioners.

They control whole towns in New York - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York

I remember times when I was a kid when a Hasidic man would be arrested and the entire community would protest in front of the precinct.

The documentary was very good and did a pretty good job of showing the realities of the community. If you would like the history of how they got that way, check out the documentary A Life Apart. It used to be on Netflix.

*America's Favorite*

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:41 PM

11. "Lady in the doc explained how the holocaust trauma is their purpose"
In response to Reply # 8

their whole operation is based around never again
the children don't belong to their parents, they belong to the community

so, being that they aren't the only group that went through a traumatic experience

Why is it that it seemingly only them that can unify and flex political and economic power?

is the answer as simple as white privilege?

cuz bannon and alt-righters didn't just fall down from the sky
they've been here, and they HATE jews.

I don't subscribe to the mel gibson worldview either, but I can't shake the feeling that something's up

flipnile
13565 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:42 PM

12. ""the village (Kiryas_Joel) has the highest poverty rate in the nation""
In response to Reply # 8

"""
According to 2008 census figures, the village has the highest poverty rate in the nation. More than two-thirds of residents live below the federal poverty line and 40% receive food stamps
"""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:17 PM

16. "Isn’t that by design so they can get welfare?"
In response to Reply # 12

Someone posted about welfare raids in their towns in jersey.

flipnile
13565 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:18 PM

17. "Yeah. That matches perfectly with what Cornbread said"
In response to Reply # 16

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:35 PM

21. "ya basically they manipulate their income source"
In response to Reply # 16

via LLCs and things like that

dillinjah
Charter member
9025 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:39 PM

10. "This reminds me of 1 of my favorite archived posts:"
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=138111&mesg_id=138111&listing_type=search

Mynoriti
Charter member
38816 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 02:46 PM

31. "man, i completely forgot about that. thanks lol"
In response to Reply # 10

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:02 PM

13. "I think this whole culture should be David Simon's next target"
In response to Reply # 0

the wire meets brookly hasids...but calling out the corruption and interesting and maybe weird shit

do they have a form of mafia?

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Cornbread
1150 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "RE: I think this whole culture should be David Simon's next target"
In response to Reply # 13

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1143896/

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/ecstasy-hasidim-drug-ring-youths-mules-pill-trade-article-1.851116

To the young Hasidic men, $1,500 and a free trip to Europe seemed too good to pass up. All they had to do, they were told, was sneak suitcases full of diamonds into the U.

S. But when inspectors at Kennedy Airport stopped some of the young men with long black coats, yarmulkes and sidelocks, the contents of their bags surprised both the couriers and the customs agents.

Federal officials soon realized they had stumbled across an international conspiracy to smuggle the drug MDMA, popularly known as Ecstasy, into New York.

Officials believe this ring, accused of bringing more than a million pills into New York and laundering millions of dollars in drug profits, has been responsible for much of the Ecstasy that has been flooding the city's nightclubs and rave dances during the past few months. Federal officials announced the indictments of seven people accused of organizing the ring in July. They said the young Hasidic couriers typically took between 30,000 and 45,000 Ecstasy pills into the United States on each trip. Sometimes they would carry as much as $500,000 in drug proceeds back to the ring's alleged leader, Sean Erez, in Amsterdam.

Erez, 29, and his girlfriend are being held by Dutch authorities while awaiting extradition to the U.S. Officials said more arrests are expected.

Several couriers who were caught have already pleaded guilty and become confidential informants in exchange for reduced charges. Officials said the informers proved crucial to cracking the conspiracy. They also revealed the extent to which the ring's organizers, several of whom are Orthodox Jews, allegedly took advantage of their connections in the insular Orthodox Jewish communities of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and Monsey, N.Y. Offering $200 finder's fees, the drug ring managed to infiltrate yeshivas and Jewish rabbinical schools, and recruit students they hoped would pass unsuspected through customs. Most of the couriers were between 18 and 20 years old. "The older guys took in a very ripe bunch of gullible youngsters," said Chris Franzblau, a New Jersey lawyer representing 18-year-old Simcha Roth, one of those recently indicted.

"They have complete trust in each other, so no one ever dreamed they were dealing with narcotics.

"On Erez's advice, Roth fled to Amsterdam and then Israel after several couriers he knew and helped recruit were arrested. According to federal wiretaps, Erez then encouraged him to start using Ecstasy himself.

After his indictment, Roth returned to New York at his family's insistence. He comes from a large Orthodox family and is free on $200,000 bail.

One courier, referred to only as CI-5 by federal investigators, became an informant after his arrest at Kennedy Airport.

His experience as a smuggler was typical. This past March, he says, a friend gave him money for an airplane ticket to Brussels and promised him $1,500 for smuggling diamonds. Shortly after CI-5 arrived in Brussels, he called a pager number he had been given. He soon received a return call from someone called Mutty, who authorities believe was Simcha Roth. Later he got a call from a Shmuel, one of Sean Erez's aliases, and was told someone would meet him in his hotel lobby.

The next day, CI-5 was met by an unidentified man and driven to the airport. He was given a suitcase and the password "Adidas," but he never made it past customs in New York. Inspectors discovered 30 socks in CI-5's luggage, each containing 1,000 pills of Ecstasy. The drugs weighed about 20 pounds and bore the Chinese yin and yang symbol.

Prosecutors said most of the operation's pills bore one of three labels yin-yangs, the Superman "S" logo or the imprint of an elephant. Each is supposed to have a slightly different potency and contains different levels of the various narcotics that make up MDMA tablets. The pills smuggled into New York were produced in Amsterdam for as little as 50 cents apiece and sold here for as much as $35 a pill. Ecstasy smuggling has boomed in the last two years. Last year roughly 375,000 pills were found at JFK. In the past nine months, the number has surged to more than a million.

Customs agents rejected the notion that they would start scrutinizing Hasidic Jews returning from Europe more closely.

"These people aren't your hard-core drug traffickers," said Associate Special Agent Marvin Walker. "The Hasidic community is not responsible for this drug ring.

" Sidebar: ADDICTION THEIR SILENT SHAME Every community wrestles with problems of addiction, but many among New York's Hasidic Jews prefer to grapple in silence. "This brings shame upon the community," said one Hasid in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. "If I could pay money not to have this story written, I would.

"The reasons behind the ultra-Orthodox community's reticence are more complicated than mere denial. One major difficulty is that many treatment programs use Christian spirituality to help addicts fight their demons.

"The treatment is often felt to be as bad as the disease," said Maxine Uttal, director of JACS Jewish Alcoholic and Chemically dependent persons and Significant others.

The Hasidic assumption that drug addiction is a moral failing, Uttal said, reinforces the community's desire to keep quiet about it. Instead, she said, drug addiction must be treated as a disease, and a crucial part of the treatment is the support of others addicts. In other words, talk helps. Drug addiction and the drug business are no strangers to Orthodox Jewish communities. According to Uttal, one-third of the people who attend meetings at JACS are Orthodox and roughly 10% are Hasidic, or ultra-Orthodox. "This is a bad thing that happens to good people," Uttal said. "Unfortunately, it's a disease that leads people to do bad things.

*America's Favorite*

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:30 PM

19. "I've seen 3 or 4 black Hasids in the 11 years I've been in Brooklyn."
In response to Reply # 0

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 03:32 PM

20. "Probably just Orthodox and not Hasidic"
In response to Reply # 19

Cornbread
1150 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:55 PM

24. "There are a few Black hasids. I knew of one in Crown Heights."
In response to Reply # 20

Was married to a white woman with little mixed kids and everything. They were Lubavitch sect though. They are more "progressive."

*America's Favorite*

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:19 PM

22. "In Brooklyn my hood is heavily Satmar Hasidic."
In response to Reply # 0

They have their own community public safety units. NYPD has precedent if something happens, as their public safety people can't technically arrest anyone or carry guns. At times NYPD does defer to them, seemingly for political reasons, so I could see why it would seem that domestic abuse is unable to be reported, but that's not true.
Unlike the Amish, Hasidics wield power by using their voting muscle--which they cast in strong blocks. Each time I go to my neighborhood poling place, there's always multiple Hasidic pole watchers out front giving instruction to their people, about who to vote for. Politicians in the city lobby votes, by appealing to their respective Rabbinical authorities.
They take advantage of every entitlement available, food stamps, welfare, special neighborhood co-op pricing--seemingly available to no one else. As far as education, they find creative ways to use public money to subsidize their Yeshivas. Yes there are city/state/federal standards that must be upheld in math and science, enforcement is the issue.
My Hasdic neighbor also showed me another one of the hustles is to join the city's various auxiliary law enforcement and public safety groups--like volunteer ambulatory services and NYPD Aux. I was working with the Coast Guard Auxiliary (The Unit in Battery Park City) for a while and there was a heavy prevalence of Hasidic members. None seemingly had any interest in guarding coasts, or boats in general. The method seems to be a strategy to gain more entitlement perks--like gov clearances, options for official looking license plates, parking placards, forms of ID, and hidden lights on their Honda Odysseys.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:23 PM

23. "Brit Milah"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-23-17 04:25 PM by howardlloyd

Every year some of their babies die from herpes because their circumcision ritual includes the rabbi sucking the blood off the circumcised penis

http://nypost.com/2017/03/08/new-case-of-neonatal-herpes-caused-by-jewish-circumcision/

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 04:59 PM

25. "....."
In response to Reply # 23

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 06:48 AM

27. "Wait wait wait.. DIE from it? I thought shit was just a rash?"

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 02:55 PM

32. "Not if you're a baby."
In response to Reply # 27

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85058 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 11:11 AM

29. "i wish i could unread this"

<--- Big Baller World Order

sosumi
Member since May 30th 2012
858 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 09:50 PM

26. "might watch, my knowledge is still based on"
In response to Reply # 0

a price above rubies

like my white privilege knowledge is based on gangs of new york

diversity training at the job always starts with
"did you know irish people were not considered white"

i am like yeah, i saw that movie...

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 10:53 AM

28. "Started it last night"
In response to Reply # 0

Pretty interesting. I always just thought they were extra devout Jews. Didn't know any of this stuff. Reminds me of docs Ive seen on Sociology. Not the beliefs, but the whole "what happens in the community stays in the community and if you try and speak out or leave you're going to regret it" aspect.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Mynoriti
Charter member
38816 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 02:45 PM

30. "that custody thing. crazy"
In response to Reply # 0

she's the mother. she has a restraining over, i'm assuming it's on record that she at least complained about abuse

and they're talking about in 2 weeks she can write her kids a letter? one hour supervised visits? "status quo?" the fuck?

she got treated like a dead beat dad, damn

interesting doc in general. they all three of them seemed to want to return on some level.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13204935 Previous topic | Next topic