Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13199632

Subject: "I Just Had A Thought: Someday Stevie Wonder is Gonna Die...." Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 05:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I Just Had A Thought: Someday Stevie Wonder is Gonna Die...."

...that thought legit mad me sad

like lump in the throat sad

when that happens, I'm gonna be a mess for a while - a long while

michael jackson? yes
prince? yup

both of those more due to the suddenness of them

but on some "last one left", and remembering the number of times listening to one of his songs gave me that "scalp tightening" feeling where I transcend *ALL* the BS of life (more than anyone else, he could/can/does do that)

spontaneous smiling, involuntary eyes closing, toe tapping, slow head shaking, silent "you better sing"

man....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Jungle Fever Soundtrack is so underrated
Oct 03rd 2017
yup
Oct 03rd 2017
Yes but
Oct 03rd 2017
I seen Stevie, Prince and MJ in concert
Oct 03rd 2017
Agreed.
Oct 03rd 2017
Stevie on the same plane as Mandela for me.
Oct 03rd 2017
DTS
Oct 03rd 2017

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79518 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 05:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Jungle Fever Soundtrack is so underrated"
In response to Reply # 0

Make sure your sure

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 05:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yup"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Oct-03-17 05:27 PM by Selah

s'crazy how "lesser" stevie is better than some good folks best

take "I can only be me"

*that* song man.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoDPV9m8Ls

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 05:30 PM

3. "Yes but"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-03-17 05:34 PM by SoWhat

He's old or nearly so. And I've seen him in concert 4x. I even saw him perform SITKOL.

I still have his music.

He doesn't have to live forever. I'll be okay.

Note: he's my 2nd fave all time. Prince is #1. Prince was different - I miss seeing him in concert bc he came around every few years. I saw him 8x. He was still touring - I was excited about seeing Piano and a Mic. He still made new music (I have yet to listen to the last one bc it is the last one). Today I miss the concerts.

I have made peace with Stevie dying. It's inevitable. And he has done enough.

fuck you.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79518 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 05:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I seen Stevie, Prince and MJ in concert"
In response to Reply # 3

Stevie was last on my list.

I feel prettt good about that.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 06:25 PM

6. "Agreed."
In response to Reply # 3
Tue Oct-03-17 06:30 PM by denny

Same with James Brown. Or if Paul Macca passed. It's not as tragic when they've already played out all the 'acts' of their musical lives.

I'm not an expert on Tom Petty...but his career seems to be broken up into 3 acts. 1st with the heartbreakers (refugee, breakdown,etc)....2nd act with Jeff Lynne (free falling, won't back down, etc) and 3rd act with Rick Rubin (wallflowers, you don't know how it feels). The Jeff Lynne stuff is my personal faves.

Prince and MJ probably still had another act left each and it's tragic that we didn't get to see them. Kurt Cobain probably had two acts left unrealized. Also tragic that it was drugs (though I'm still somewhat suspicious that Petty died from a drug relapse too...having a cardiac arrest a couple days after touring)

But JB, Macca, Wonder, Petty, Dylan, Miles...they can pass like everyone passes having fulfilled all their potential. Still sad but not tragic.

Castro
Charter member
50738 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 06:01 PM

5. "Stevie on the same plane as Mandela for me. "
In response to Reply # 0

He is the black equivalent of the Dalai Lama.

But he is here and he is still a genius and I love him like I love family. No artist has had a more sustained and impactful influence on my life than him.

------------------
One Hundred.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Oct-03-17 06:27 PM

7. "DTS"
In response to Reply # 0

no shade, but I don't wanna think about that...

fuck!!!

you better call me when it happens. Ima make you listen to my bathering ass down a bottle of red label and we both gon get $hitty.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Lobby General Discussion topic #13199632 Previous topic | Next topic