Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13196254

Subject: "1. Murda Muzik" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"1. Murda Muzik"

2. The Infamous

3. Hell on Earth

4. Free Agents: The Murda Mixtape (this goes hard AF!)

5. Infamy

6. Blood Money

7. The Infamous Mobb Deep (had more than a few bangers)

8. Amerikaz Nightmare

Also, this was pretty dope:
http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/qoz8yg/hip-hop-honors-the-90-s-game-changers-lil-kim-fabolous-and-havoc-perform-quiet-storm

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
1 The Infamous
Sep 21st 2017
^^^^
Sep 21st 2017
picking 1 and 2 was tough, man...
Sep 21st 2017
I love Murda Muzik and Warriorz but
Sep 21st 2017
yep
Sep 21st 2017
FIXED: 1. The Infamous
Sep 21st 2017
I can't argue with anyone with some form of MM, Infamous and HOE...
Sep 21st 2017
one of the GOAT 3 album runs
Sep 21st 2017
      Agreed
Sep 21st 2017
           LOL!!! Man, after Pray for Me and Get Away I was hopeful...
Sep 21st 2017
                HA I had the same feeling
Sep 21st 2017
yeah this is the only correct list
Sep 21st 2017
Murda Mixtape is underrated
Sep 21st 2017
lol...yeah...The Illest, It's Over, Favorite Rapper, too
Sep 21st 2017
Solidified is official mean mug music
Sep 22nd 2017
Disc 1 is perfect.
Sep 22nd 2017
My favorite P verses were on HoE
Sep 21st 2017
maybe my favorite P verse ever came from GOD Pt. III
Sep 21st 2017
Hell on Earth #1
Sep 21st 2017
Murda Muzik AGED fantastically
Sep 21st 2017
never understood the love for MM. must be time and place.
Sep 21st 2017
WOW you really don't rock with Murda Muzik
Sep 22nd 2017
I wrote about it in July looking back at all Prodigy's material
Sep 23rd 2017
damn, man...Juvenile Hell over MM???
Sep 22nd 2017
Where your heart at?
Sep 22nd 2017
LMAO
Sep 22nd 2017
I never listened to the Prodigy solos after H.N.I.C.
Sep 26th 2017
      Man Albert Einstein was like a Mixtape Prodigy album
Sep 27th 2017
This is like niggas who put It Was Written over Illmatic.
Sep 22nd 2017
Nah... it’s like someone who puts Stillmatic over Illmatic.
Sep 25th 2017
product of the 80's was a banger too
Sep 23rd 2017
I love Free Agents. Both discs. The Noyd joint “Bang Bang”...
Sep 25th 2017
1. The Infamous
Sep 28th 2017

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "1 The Infamous"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-21-17 09:21 AM by Anonymous

2 You can pick the rest.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79607 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:21 AM

2. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:22 AM

3. "picking 1 and 2 was tough, man..."
In response to Reply # 1

just something about the vibe of MM, for me.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:30 AM

7. "I love Murda Muzik and Warriorz but"
In response to Reply # 3

When they dropped I was kind of exhausted with both Mobb and MOP so they didn't stick with me like the previous two albums from both groups.

At that point I was into more conscious and/or progressive hip-hop and was following the direction of Common, The Roots, dead prez, Kast etc.

Both those albums do have their biggest hit with Quiet Storm and Ante Up respectively though.

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:26 AM

6. "yep"
In response to Reply # 1

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:23 AM

4. "FIXED: 1. The Infamous"
In response to Reply # 0

2. Hell On Earth

3. Murda Muzik

4. Free Agents

5. ......

6. ......

7. ......

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:25 AM

5. "I can't argue with anyone with some form of MM, Infamous and HOE..."
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Sep-21-17 09:26 AM by Dstl1

as their top 3. They all had ICONIC Mobb joints on em.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:37 AM

8. "one of the GOAT 3 album runs"
In response to Reply # 5

they could've been Outkast/De La/EPMD/Gang Starr levels if Infamy wasn't such a dud

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Agreed"
In response to Reply # 8

The shock I felt when I reached the end of infamy and realized I got a copped a BAD Mobb Deep album. Such a thing didn't exist prior.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 09:58 AM

10. "LOL!!! Man, after Pray for Me and Get Away I was hopeful..."
In response to Reply # 9

then Bounce and Clap happened...smh. There was a couple more sporadic joints like Crawlin, but...the joints with 112, Ronald Isley...UGH. They're voices didn't even sound the same. I actually should have dropped this down further, now that I think about it.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "HA I had the same feeling"
In response to Reply # 10

The beginning of the album gets you hyped, then shit starts getting shakey dog. Pray for me and Getaway is the Mobb you were looking for. It's a STRUGGLE to get to Burn. Such a shame.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 10:18 AM

12. "yeah this is the only correct list "
In response to Reply # 4

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 10:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Murda Mixtape is underrated"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember it dropping and wondering why no one cared. Narcotic, Solidified can stand toe to toe to vintage Mobb Tracks...There's a classic buried in them 635 tracks on that mixtape, lol

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 10:20 AM

13. "lol...yeah...The Illest, It's Over, Favorite Rapper, too"
In response to Reply # 11

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:17 AM

20. "Solidified is official mean mug music"

Beautiful.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 08:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "Disc 1 is perfect."

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

[font size=4 font color="green"

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "My favorite P verses were on HoE"
In response to Reply # 0

So I generally tend to pick that as #1, but I can't say anyone is wrong for ranking MM, Infamous, or HoE in any particular order.

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:21 AM

16. "maybe my favorite P verse ever came from GOD Pt. III"
In response to Reply # 14
Thu Sep-21-17 11:23 AM by Dstl1

top 5, Get Dealt With

PROMO
Charter member
30971 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 11:20 AM

15. "Hell on Earth #1"
In response to Reply # 0

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 12:13 PM

18. "Murda Muzik AGED fantastically"
In response to Reply # 0

i play it more than Infamous or HoE these days, but it's still the LP with Shook Ones at the top slot

after P passed I began to listen to their aughts joints and forgot they had some bangers on those albums

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 12:15 PM

19. "never understood the love for MM. must be time and place."
In response to Reply # 0

(plus Prodigy solos)

1. The Infamous: 9.72
2. Albert Einstein: 8.30
3. Hell on Earth: 8.29
4. H.N.I.C: 7.72
5. Juvenile Hell: 6.59
6. Amerikaz Nightmare: 6.43
7. Murda Muzik: 6.40
8. Return of the Mac: 5.67
9. H.N.I.C. 2: 4.63
10. Blood Money: 4.22
11. Infamy: 4.21

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:19 AM

21. "WOW you really don't rock with Murda Muzik"
In response to Reply # 19

SMH

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!

Nodima
15302 posts
Sat Sep-23-17 09:17 AM

27. "I wrote about it in July looking back at all Prodigy's material"
In response to Reply # 21

Expectations are fine, but I've always bought the line from artists that you can't spend your career attempting to meet them. What audiences think they want is often not the same thing as what they react most emotionally to; it's harder to get excited about knowing exactly what's coming. That said, this album is titled Murda Muzik and it's coming from the camp of the infamous Mobb Deep after a three year break from full lengths. Over that three year period the two had started appearing separate from each other on various features, mostly soundtrack work or close associates, but there was really no reason given to anticipate that the strings were starting to come loose on Mobb Deep's tightly knit feel.

This album is all over the place, and I've always really struggled to reconcile the argument from certain fans that it's just as enjoyable as their other two '90s albums with the actual content of this LP. "Let a Ho Be a Ho" has one of the better beats on the album, and yet is full of horrible high school sex poetry (no one is interested in edible thongs), hinges on a chorus of "A ho gonna be a ho / And a nigga gon' definitely be a nigga," and the 2Pac reference is so on the fence between a diss and a begrudging nod of respect it's a wonder nobody in the studio recommended it get cut.

Here is how the first six songs play out: dead homies song complete with tuneless chorus, throwback cut, advocation of peace during wartime (a noble stance if slightly confusing coming from these two on an album called Murda Muzik), sex rap, unexplainably bad and un-fun club track. "Allustrious" kicks off a brief moment where the Mobb is back to what they do best, but even then Prodigy balances "I count on one finger all y'all rap niggas that excite me" and "Take a walk, jerk" (all-time diss, trust me) with "Your shit's weak, your best song's mediocre / Fuck a penis! How dare you entertain the thought," which is just emblematic of every problem with this album. On paper, and on airwaves, it's impossible to tell if Prodigy is telling his hater to fuck a penis or admonishing them for considering the activity. Murda Muzik should have been the Mobb's most focused album yet - it's right there in the title - but instead it's all over the place seemingly as a rule.

It doesn't help that Havoc's production has taken a significant step back; it's clear that he still wanted to make dark, horrific music, but the times had moved on from that and so he's stuck trying to fit in with the current trends of mainstream hip-hop filtered through the things he pioneered and mastered. It's a bad fit that leads to far too many just serviceable beats ("Adrenaline" and the title track are two great examples of this) that struggle in equal measure alongside Havoc and Prodigy's increasingly boiler plate, formulaic gangster philosophy.

Of course, it's not all bad here. Murda Muzik is Mobb Deep's best selling album for a reason, two primary culprits being the rightly venerated lead single "Quiet Storm" (though even this feels dated and lost in a way so much rap from the jiggy era does), while Eightball's surprise appearance on "Where Ya From" makes for both an unlikely but welcome combination and also one of the more well rounded tracks on the whole album. Havoc really finds a groove in the more southern style of production he uses on that track, leaving one to wonder how much more palatable some other songs would've been if he'd leaned further in that direction similar to Erick Sermon or someone like that. Nothing is more emblematic of the creative stagnation at hand here than inviting Nas to do a Monica rendition on "It's Mine".

As I said in the open, it's not necessarily true that Mobb Deep shouldn't have tried to expand their sound, nor should they immediately be reprimanded for trying. But when the result is as middle of the road and unfocused as this - particularly given the spectacular heights they'd reached just four years prior - you can't even necessarily blame the 1999-as-hell story that the album leaked in the spring and, not being due out until the late summer, the album had to be reworked so the fans weren't buying the same release they'd pirated. Murda Muzik is simply the result of the culture passing a pair of men by, and the beginning of the story of their struggle to reconcile what they're best at with what the world expects out of rap. Prodigy directly quotes "Shook Ones, Pt. 2" to close "Thug Muzik", and it might be the most vibrant moment of the entire LP. That says something, something not good.

I'm curious to see how I react to H.N.I.C. with more time and wisdom, but to my mind as of this writing it would be over a decade before either artist recaptured or even completely understood what it was that made them great artists in the first place. If you were a huge fan of the group and not as predisposed to disliking this era of hip-hop production as I am I could see how the combination of Prodigy and Havoc plus production that isn't entirely mired by misguided attempts to push boom bap forward and very little direct evidence of the jiggy era happening would make Murda Muzik one of your happier 1999 hip-hop memories. But I wasn't especially aware of the group aside from their singles back then - I was in elementary school, after all - and so I can only come to this album from the perspective I've got, which is that it's so uninspired at times and so perfectly fine at others that Murda Muzik is the very definition of an average album propped up by two guys more talented than their overall effort here implies.

~~~~~~~~~

Dstl1
Charter member
56231 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:31 AM

22. "damn, man...Juvenile Hell over MM???"

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 02:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "Where your heart at?"

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 04:26 PM

24. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 23

>

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 05:49 PM

31. "I never listened to the Prodigy solos after H.N.I.C."

which I had and thought was good but still listened to the first 3 Mobb albums a lot more. I also loved the Free Agents album but nothing else really.

I'm gonna have to check out Albert Einstein I guess.

This post made me dig them out and just finishing up Murda Musik now. Its def a top 3 album of theirs to me, loved it since it dropped and still goes hard. I don't care for the hook on Its Mine but Nas verse on that is so damn good I still have to rewind it back.

Nodima
15302 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 10:55 PM

32. "Man Albert Einstein was like a Mixtape Prodigy album"
In response to Reply # 31

It was like a gift, sort of a dissertation on all the ways Internet culture and Alchemist's expanded roster of psychedelic drug indulgences was making rap a way more esoteric, weird and personal genre in the early 2010s.
~~~~~~~~~

IkeMoses
Charter member
70875 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 08:16 PM

26. "This is like niggas who put It Was Written over Illmatic."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-22-17 08:16 PM by IkeMoses

Stop.

-30-
You know it's drama, but it sound real good.

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Sep-25-17 10:57 AM

30. "Nah... it’s like someone who puts Stillmatic over Illmatic."
In response to Reply # 26

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Ill Jux
Member since Jan 19th 2007
14705 posts
Sat Sep-23-17 09:31 AM

28. "product of the 80's was a banger too"
In response to Reply # 0

______

in the memory of NYC upt JUX�

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Mon Sep-25-17 10:56 AM

29. "I love Free Agents. Both discs. The Noyd joint “Bang Bang”..."
In response to Reply # 0

still gets spins from me.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17896 posts
Thu Sep-28-17 09:51 AM

33. "1. The Infamous"
In response to Reply # 0

2. Hell On Earth

3. Murda Muzik

4. Free Agents

5. Infamy

6. Infamous Mobb Deep

7. Amerikaz Nightmare

8. Blood Money

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown