Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13195450

Subject: "Trump wants a military parade on July 4th" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Trump wants a military parade on July 4th"

smh

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-wants-big-military-parade-july-4-show-strength-201153624.html

“We’re going to have to try and top it. But we had a lot of planes going over, and we had a lot of military might and it was really a beautiful thing to see. They had representatives from different wars in different uniforms. It was really so well done,” the president said.

“We’re spending this year 700 billion, more than we’ve ever spent, on the military, which is good news for you ’cause we’re friends,” Trump told Macron. “And I think we really, we’re looking forward to doing that.”

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dictator in progress
Sep 19th 2017
This fool just called Kim Jung Un "Rocket Man" in his UN speech
Sep 19th 2017
I laughed..
Sep 19th 2017
      at what point do his people tell him to stop?
Sep 19th 2017
           Well Hugo Chavez called Bush the devil
Sep 19th 2017
           that's not name calling, that's name tagging
Sep 19th 2017
           who is he going to listen to?
Sep 19th 2017
           the voices in his head
Sep 19th 2017
           i don't think he always listens
Sep 19th 2017
                we sick boss?
Sep 19th 2017
He's insane.
Sep 19th 2017
i thought that's what the various Air shows are about?
Sep 19th 2017
It's about 'Murica !!! Love it 'er leave it !! *spits tobacco*
Sep 19th 2017
Intercept: Senate's military spending enough to make college free
Sep 19th 2017
So even Cory Booker voted for this? Interesting.
Sep 19th 2017

DavidHasselhoff
Charter member
11451 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dictator in progress"
In response to Reply # 0

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This fool just called Kim Jung Un "Rocket Man" in his UN speech"
In response to Reply # 0

Lol and smh

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:52 AM

4. "I laughed.. "
In response to Reply # 2

was I not supposed to?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "at what point do his people tell him to stop?"
In response to Reply # 4

Some shit is just off limits ( or should be). You don't name call at a UNGA meeting.

Back again for the first time.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:05 AM

8. "Well Hugo Chavez called Bush the devil"
In response to Reply # 6

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:10 AM

9. "that's not name calling, that's name tagging"
In response to Reply # 8

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:12 AM

10. "who is he going to listen to?"
In response to Reply # 6

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:15 AM

11. "the voices in his head"
In response to Reply # 10

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:34 AM

14. "i don't think he always listens"
In response to Reply # 6

also, he's nuts. something is not right in our president's head.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:38 AM

15. "we sick boss?"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue Sep-19-17 11:40 AM by Atillah Moor

our president's head

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:52 AM

3. "He's insane."
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 10:57 AM

5. "i thought that's what the various Air shows are about?"
In response to Reply # 0

and the military salutes during NFL games and shit like that?

we do this here in the USA just not in a single parade in DC. we spread it out. lol

fuck you.

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:00 AM

7. "It's about 'Murica !!! Love it 'er leave it !! *spits tobacco*"
In response to Reply # 5

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:19 AM

12. "Intercept: Senate's military spending enough to make college free"
In response to Reply # 0

Approved, 89-8. Only Democrat "nays" were Gillibrand, Leahy, Merkley, Sanders, and Wyden. Rand Paul and Bob Corker also voted against.

One thing that I try to remind myself when I see young people demanding the moon and stars from the government is that if you're 25, your formative political memories are:

a)The Iraq War
b)The 2008 financial crisis

Hanging these on the GOP is easy and true, but it's not like the Democrats covered themselves in glory here. I think the one bit of insight that young, angry people have to offer that we've (or me, because I'm old) have lost sight of is that the world before Trump is the same world which led to Trump.

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/18/the-senates-military-spending-increase-alone-is-enough-to-make-public-college-free/?comments=1

THE SENATE’S MILITARY SPENDING INCREASE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO MAKE PUBLIC COLLEGE FREE
Alex Emmons
September 18 2017, 11:13 p.m.

ONE OF THE most controversial proposals put forward by Sen. Bernie Sanders during the 2016 presidential campaign was a pledge to make tuition free at public colleges and universities. Critics from both parties howled that the pie-in-the-sky idea would bankrupt the country. Where, after all, would the money come from?

Those concerns were brushed aside Monday night, as the Senate overwhelmingly approved an $80 billion annual increase in military spending, enough to have fully satisfied Sanders’s campaign promise. Instead, the Senate handed President Donald Trump far more than the $54 billion he asked for. The lavish spending package gives Trump a major legislative victory, allowing him to boast about fulfilling his promise of a “great rebuilding of the armed services.”

The bill would set the U.S.’s annual military budget at around $700 billion, putting it within range of matching the spending level at the height of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

To put that in further perspective: If the package becomes law, U.S. military spending would exceed the total spending of its next 10 rivals put together, going off of 2016 military spending estimates from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.

Put another way, with a $700 billion military budget, the U.S. would be spending more than three times as much as China on its military, and 10 times as much as Russia. According to SIPRI, the U.S. already accounts for more than a third of all military spending.

The share of world military expenditure of the 15 countries with the highest spending in 2016. (Credit, SIPRI)
Or with $80 billion a year, you could make public colleges and universities in the U.S. tuition-free. In fact, Sanders’s proposal was only estimated to cost the federal government $47 billion per year.

If the additional military spending over the next 10 years instead went to pay off student debt, it could come close to wiping it out entirely.

But proposals like that are written off as nonstarters, even by Democrats. In her new book, Hillary Clinton compares Sanders’s idea to him nonsensically saying “America should get a pony.” And while concerns about the cost of ponies abound, few Democrats are raising similar concerns about military spending, even when it is meant for a commander-in-chief they consider reckless and unstable.

The Senate voted 89-8, with three senators not voting, to approve the military money. Spendthrift Sanders joined only four other Democratic senators to vote against the bill: Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, Patrick Leahy of Vermont, and Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden from Oregon. Republicans Bob Corker of Tennessee, Rand Paul of Kentucky, and Mike Lee of Utah also voted against it.

When Trump submitted a budget proposal in March, which cut social spending dramatically to fund a $54 billion increase in defense spending, Democrats criticized it as a nonstarter. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said he “emphatically opposed” the blueprint, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said the budget “throws billions of dollars at defense while ransacking” health and education funding.

Before the bill becomes law, it is has to be reconciled with the version the House already passed, which contains a similar $77 billion spending increase. It is likely to become law by the end of the year.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 11:28 AM

13. "So even Cory Booker voted for this? Interesting."
In response to Reply # 12

This is off tangent from what you posted, but I wonder what kind of professional relationship Gillibrand and Schumer have since Schumer holds a decent amount of power among Democrats, but I hope Gillibrand isn't as tied to the banks like Schumer is.

With the huge dollars in this bills, I can only imagine how much non-military pork is in this.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13195450 Previous topic | Next topic