Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13194898

Subject: "Mueller obtained a search warrant for Facebook" Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 10:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mueller obtained a search warrant for Facebook"

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/facebook-gave-special-counsel-robert-mueller-more-details-on-russian-ad-buys-than-congress-1505514552

Renato Mariotti‏ is a great follow on twitter and always does a really good job of breaking it all down.

https://tttthreads.com/t/909046433931841537

THREAD: Why news that Mueller obtained a search warrant for Facebook content may be the biggest news in the case since the Manafort raid.

1/ Last night, the @WSJ reported that Mueller obtained info from Facebook via search warrant: https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/facebook-gave-special-counsel-robert-mueller-more-details-on-russian-ad-buys-than-congress-1505514552

2/ The @WSJ talks about some of the info Mueller obtained (see below). Mueller could not obtain *content* of an account without a warrant. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DJ2WKUXVYAA9Ifp.jpg

3/ I was initially wary about discussing implications of this story because I worried @WSJ may have presumed a warrant that didn't exist.

4/ But @CNN has confirmed that Mueller obtained content via search warrant, including ads, acct details, targeting. http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/15/media/facebook-mueller-ads/index.html

5/ That is huge news. It means that Mueller has concluded that specific foreign individuals committed a crime by making a "contribution"

6/ in connection with an election. It also means that he has evidence of that crime that convinced a federal magistrate judge of two things.

7/ First, that there was good reason to believe that the foreign individual committed the crime. Second, that evidence of the crime existed

8/ on Facebook. Why is that big news? Until now, Mueller's efforts to obtain information about Russian interference in the election could

9/ be seen as an effort to gain counterintelligence or to investigate a matter unlikely to result in charges. Now we know he believes that

10/ he's close to charging specific foreign people with a crime. Can he do that? Yes, if they committed a crime in the U.S.

11/ For example, my former boss indicted Osama Bin Laden for the first World Trade Center bombing.

12/ So what does this mean for Trump and his associates? This news also has large implications for them.

13/ It is a crime to know that a crime is taking place and to help it succeed. That's aiding and abetting. If any Trump associate knew about

14/ the foreign contributions that Mueller's search warrant focused on and helped that effort in a tangible way, they could be charged.

15/ In addition, anyone who agreed to be part of this effort in any way could be charged with criminal conspiracy. They wouldn't need to

16/ be involved in the whole operation or know everyone involved but they would have to agree to be part of some piece of it.

17/ One thing I should note is that this particular violation of the law preventing foreign contributions in connection with an election

18/ is far stronger than earlier speculation that Donald Trump Jr. violated the same law by accepting information from the Russian attorney.

19/ One hurdle is that to violate the statute criminally, you have to do so knowingly and willfully. Here, Mueller has evidence that the

20/ foreigner(s) had that intent, and it is far more difficult for an American to claim that he/she didn't know that a massive Russian

21/ influence operation was against the law than it would be to claim that about hearing talk at a meeting. Jurors would be inclined to

22/ convict anyone who was part of or aided a Russian effort to subvert our election.

23/ If I represented someone who was caught up in this part of the investigation, I'd be very worried. /end

ADDENDUM: In case you're curious, here's the statute I discuss in this thread: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/52/30121

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/909046433931841537

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
a lot of people are going to go to jail
Sep 16th 2017
*winces*
Sep 16th 2017
RE: *winces*
Sep 16th 2017
yes, i know.
Sep 16th 2017
have faith
Sep 16th 2017
      right on.
Sep 16th 2017
      If Trump and his family was stupid enough
Sep 18th 2017
At the very least allow America to press the reset button on this admini...
Sep 16th 2017
      Mueller is not going to seek an impeachment.
Sep 16th 2017
If a man can be murdered in front of his family for no reason by police
Sep 18th 2017
are you in the right thread?
Sep 18th 2017
      my point being shit is mad corrupt. Trump is already in violation of law...
Sep 18th 2017
Manafort's phone was tapped before and after election
Sep 18th 2017
Did Obama know about it?
Sep 18th 2017
Even though he looks like Paulie I think he'd talk to the Feds like Henr...
Sep 18th 2017
What does today's nytimes story about the status of the Mueller investig...
Sep 18th 2017
Mueller still doing his thing
Sep 20th 2017
Paulie Walnuts better start a talkin'
Sep 20th 2017
RE: Pauly Walnuts better start a talkin'
Sep 20th 2017

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 11:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "a lot of people are going to go to jail"
In response to Reply # 0

and I can't wait.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 11:43 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "*winces*"
In response to Reply # 1

i want to believe.

but...i'm convinced won't shit happen to except a few low-level ppl.

the upper-levels will either not be charged (who runs DOJ right now?) or will end up pardoned (who can pardon the federally-charged right now?).

maybe if the cases end up in certain state courts there's a better chance.

but the upper-levels will do what they can to duck charges in state courts too (no pardons but...lots of delays for years).

i see this mostly as making a record. and years from now the reckoning will come (hopefully) via the political process. meaning - the GOP which looked the way during all of this bullshit will pay a heavy price in the election booths.

but...i just have so little faith in the feds right now and in the American voting public (they elected that fool and will probably re-elect him).

i'm very cynical. hold on to your hope. we need it.

fuck you.

j0510
2315 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 12:13 PM

3. "RE: *winces*"
In response to Reply # 2

>maybe if the cases end up in certain state courts there's a
>better chance.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/30/manafort-mueller-probe-attorney-general-242191

Mueller teams up with New York attorney general in Manafort probe

The cooperation is the latest sign that the investigation into Trump's former campaign chairman is intensifying.

By JOSH DAWSEY 08/30/2017 07:26 PM EDT Updated 08/30/2017 10:00 PM EDT

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team is working with New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on its investigation into Paul Manafort and his financial transactions, according to several people familiar with the matter.

The cooperation is the latest indication that the federal probe into President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman is intensifying. It also could potentially provide Mueller with additional leverage to get Manafort to cooperate in the larger investigation into Trump’s campaign, as Trump does not have pardon power over state crimes.

The two teams have shared evidence and talked frequently in recent weeks about a potential case, these people said. One of the people familiar with progress on the case said both Mueller’s and Schneiderman’s teams have collected evidence on financial crimes, including potential money laundering.

No decision has been made on where or whether to file charges. “Nothing is imminent,” said one of the people familiar with the case.

Manafort has not been accused of any wrongdoing and has previously denied it. A spokesman for Manafort didn’t return phone calls seeking comment.

A representative for Mueller’s office declined to comment, as did the New York attorney general’s office.

People close to Manafort say the team has pressured him by approaching family members and former business partners. A number of other firms and people who have worked with him have received subpoenas.

Federal agents also conducted an early-morning raid at Manafort’s home in late July, seizing documents and other items.

Manafort did not resist the search, his spokesman Jason Maloni said at the time of the raid.

State and federal prosecutors believe the prospect of a presidential pardon could affect whether Manafort decides to cooperate with investigators in the federal Trump investigation, said one of the people familiar with the matter.

While Trump has not signaled any public intention to pardon Manafort or anyone else involved in the Russia investigations, the president has privately discussed his pardon powers with his advisers.

Mueller’s team has been looking into Manafort’s lobbying work and financial transactions, including real estate deals in New York.

Schneiderman has a contentious history with Trump. The president has mocked him relentlessly on social media and TV, denouncing him as a “hack” and “lightweight.”

The attorney general won a $25 million settlement last November after a lengthy investigation into allegedly fraudulent practices at Trump University. The president said he settled just to have the matter behind him, though his previous mantra was to never settle cases.

The New York prosecutor’s office also is looking into some of Trump’s business transactions and could potentially share those records with Mueller’s team, one of these people said. Those inquiries are in the preliminary stage.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "yes, i know."
In response to Reply # 3

but if they go for Trump he will be able to delay the shit out of the case. if he can't just get it dismissed outright. he's kinda busy...you know, he's the POTUS. he has pretty good reason to hold up the process b/c he's sorta busy. and prosecution evidence tends to get pretty stale as time wears on. witnesses become unavailable. documents get lost....

so...i'm not holding my breath.

fuck you.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 01:24 PM

7. "have faith"
In response to Reply # 2

Kushner is fucked.
Manafort is fucked.
Flynn is fucked.

There will be others.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 01:36 PM

8. "right on."
In response to Reply # 7

i can see Trump sacrificing all of those folks b/c they're not 'family'...or they're not blood at least.

so perhaps DOJ indictments against them will be issued if Mueller's evidence sticks.

fuck you.

DVS
Member since Sep 13th 2002
19730 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 09:42 AM

11. "If Trump and his family was stupid enough"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Sep-18-17 09:42 AM by DVS

to leave any records or traces of involvement with the people you've listed as "fucked"...that's the ball game.

I'd bet that's what Mueller is aiming for.

You wouldn't even have to hit them with football numbers to get them to flip...and if the charges are at the state level instead of federal...that eliminates the pardoning power of the Magical Wizard of NAH's

D

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Waldorf and Statler Vol 4:CONAN IS OUT NOW!!!: http://waldorfandstatler.bandcamp.com

and don't forget to check "DVS 4 ALDERMAN"

http://windimoto.bandcamp.com/album/dvs-4-alderman-bandcamp-exclusive-expanded-editio

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 12:49 PM

5. "At the very least allow America to press the reset button on this admini..."
In response to Reply # 1

I want a full impeachment with Fox News anchors having consecutive tear filled broadcasts as THEIR PRESIDENT is impeached. Everybody gotta go down with him. I am damn tired of all the nepotism and blatant corruption from this administration.

Mueller gotta dig deep and get all the dirt so this can go through clean.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 01:22 PM

6. "Mueller is not going to seek an impeachment."
In response to Reply # 5

he can't.

only the House can do that.

he is not investigating on behalf of the House - this is a DOJ investigation. he will turn over his evidence to DOJ and DOJ will decide whether to seek indictments in federal court against certain ppl, including POTUS. we expect DOJ will decline to indict POTUS but might seek indictments against other players.

perhaps the House will want Mueller to testify before it about his investigation's results. perhaps the House will call others to testify before it (i mean a committee) to hear evidence related to the investigation. if so, at some point there may be a committee that recommends articles of impeachment against POTUS. if it gets that far...at some point the full House would have to vote on that. considering the House is GOP-controlled it's unlikely there will be enough votes to pass the articles of impeachment.

if the House is able to pass the articles (at that point POTUS is 'impeached') - there would be a trial in the GOP-controlled Senate to decide if POTUS is to be removed from office. as a political process and in this extremely partisan environment it's expected the vote would be along party lines. so - doubtful the Senate would vote to remove POTUS from office.

again - i'm cynical though.

perhaps this Congress would at some point drop the partisanship and decide to impeach and remove POTUS b/c whatever they hear via testimony at various hearings is too much to allow POTUS to remain in office. but...so far there has been such unwillingness in Congress to act against POTUS even w/what they know now which would've been enough to impeach/remove just about any other POTUS....

i dunno.

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 08:22 AM

9. "If a man can be murdered in front of his family for no reason by police"
In response to Reply # 0

and the killer walks it says to me that the laws mean nothing

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79621 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 08:25 AM

10. "are you in the right thread? "
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 09:45 AM

12. "my point being shit is mad corrupt. Trump is already in violation of law..."
In response to Reply # 10

how's this investigation going ton make things different? Dude'll fire nukes at N Korea just to change the subject.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:18 PM

13. "Manafort's phone was tapped before and after election"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-18-17 06:32 PM by makaveli

Boom.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/18/politics/paul-manafort-government-wiretapped-fisa-russians/index.html

Oh, and Mueller's people told him he would be indicted.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/us/politics/mueller-russia-investigation.html?referer=https://t.co/xawGmMM0bT?amp=1

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28846 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:22 PM

14. "Did Obama know about it?"
In response to Reply # 13

Even if he did which I doubt by the way, I COULD CARE LESS after all the corrupt shit Trump has done since January 20th. I want a tax refund for all the fees Trump has charged me directly via his vacations and indirectly via his policies.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 06:50 PM

15. "Even though he looks like Paulie I think he'd talk to the Feds like Henr..."

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/b4/f3/82b4f312b01e4fd3ccae824aab801c53.jpg

http://media.movietimetv.ca/files/2012/06/Goodfellas_342Pyxurz1-600x369.jpg

j0510
2315 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 08:24 PM

16. "What does today's nytimes story about the status of the Mueller investig..."

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/909928711935467525

https://tttthreads.com/t/909928711935467525

THREAD: What does today's @nytimes story about the status of the Mueller investigation tell us?

1/ Today's @nytimes story provides us with a wealth of information about the state of the Mueller investigation that confirms much of what

2/ I told you in prior threads. It is jam packed with interesting information. Here is the link: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/us/politics/mueller-russia-investigation.html?_r=0&referer=https://t.co/x8i9xipDNc?amp=1

3/ Let's start with this revelation. Paul Manafort is a "target" of the investigation. For the first time, we now know the Mueller probe https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC4HPRUIAAyB8k.jpg

4/ will likely result in charges. More importantly, the tactic that Mueller is using--telling Manafort that he will be charged--is generally

5/ used when prosecutors are trying to get a defendant to "flip." This strongly suggests what we've long expected--that Mueller is trying

6/ to "flip" Manafort. What causes a target to "flip"? The #1 factor is assembling sufficient evidence to make it likely that the person

7/ will be convicted and serve a prison sentence. Mueller's team is being as aggressive as possible to indicate to Manafort that he should

8/ be concerned about that possibility. Subpoenaing Manafort's aides and his lawyer (more on her later) shows his focus on Manafort. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC5bGcUMAANnDH.jpg

9/ So why was Mueller able to subpoena Manafort's lawyer? Because she was not acting as a lawyer in that representation. A lawyer's
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC6P0oXcAAEoVK.jpg

10/ words aren't automatically privileged just because he/she is a lawyer. If you hire a lawyer to act as a lobbyist or PR person, for

11/ example, your conversations with the lawyer are not privilege. There is only privilege where the lawyer is practicing law.

12/ The story also confirms something I told you long ago--that the Manafort search warrant was a "no knock" warrant that required Mueller https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC7BbHXcAU5JGB.jpg

13/ to show the judge that there was a reason to believe that Manafort would destroy evidence if they knocked on the door as usual.

14/ As I've told you before, the mere fact that Mueller used a search warrant indicates that he didn't trust Manafort to respond fully to a

15/ subpoena request. So why has Mueller been more trusting of the White House? See this excerpt: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC724PXUAAggw8.jpg

16/ Mueller's approach towards the White House is consistent with how white collar investigations typically proceed. If there's no reason to

17/ believe the subjects of the investigation will destroy evidence and the defense lawyers are cooperative, it's more convenient for

18/ everyone to have an informal interview with a FBI agent present before going into the grand jury. The person still has to tell the truth

19/ because lying to the FBI is a crime, but the questions can be wide-ranging and there can be back and forth before the witness is "locked

20/ in" under oath with a court reporter present. So why the different approach with Manafort associates? See this excerpt: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC89ggWAAAKVn0.jpg

21/ Typically that would suggest the witnesses are not cooperative and would not testify unless compelled to do so. But it could also mean

22/ that Mueller distrusts the witnesses and wants to put the heat on them so they testify truthfully. Perhaps the source of his distrust

23/ is what led to the no-knock warrant in the first place. We don't know what that is at this point.

24/ There is one last tidbit that I think is very interesting. This part of the piece raises a concern I discussed recently with you: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKC-T1kWsAE7nvN.jpg

25/ In this thread I explained why Mueller wouldn't want FBI officials to be interviewed by Congress: https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/907990802890141698

26/ The Congressional investigation is important because it is the way the public can learn about evidence that ultimately doesn't result

27/ in charges. But testimony that results in leaks can ultimately tip off other witnesses and defense counsel. That's one reason why

28/ Mueller is moving at a pace that is extraordinarily fast for an investigation of this type. /end

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 02:13 PM

17. "Mueller still doing his thing"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/us/politics/mueller-trump-russia.html?action=Click&contentCollection=BreakingNews&contentID=65851468&pgtype=article

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 04:29 PM

18. "Paulie Walnuts better start a talkin'"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-20-17 04:36 PM by makaveli

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/manafort-offered-to-give-russian-billionaire-private-briefings-on-2016-campaign/2017/09/20/399bba1a-9d48-11e7-8ea1-ed975285475e_story.html?utm_term=.e012172cd810

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 04:36 PM

19. "RE: Pauly Walnuts better start a talkin'"
In response to Reply # 18

>https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/manafort-offered-to-give-russian-billionaire-private-briefings-on-2016-campaign/2017/09/20/399bba1a-9d48-11e7-8ea1-ed975285475e_story.html?utm_term=.e012172cd810

Yup....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Lobby General Discussion topic #13194898 Previous topic | Next topic