Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13194717

Subject: "I never leave Yelp reviews, but I'm glad that ppl do" Previous topic | Next topic
Firecracker
Member since Feb 20th 2007
1892 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I never leave Yelp reviews, but I'm glad that ppl do"

But who leaves these reviews if I don't and how am I supposed to trust them?

Yelp etc get way too much trust credit from me cos I sure as hell aint know anyone (with any opinion that I trust) that reviews or has ever reviewed anythink

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Which functions of society do you use it for?
Sep 15th 2017
Mostly restaurants tbh, and honestly often Google reviews
Sep 15th 2017
reminds me of when i was reading a review on glassdoor
Sep 15th 2017
bruh...
Sep 15th 2017
Nope. Always seems like people who do the most leave yelp reviews
Sep 15th 2017
How come you never tried the mexican food your homie
Sep 15th 2017
I tried a taco, shit was fabulous
Sep 15th 2017
Foodies...
Sep 15th 2017
dont trust reviews. form your own opinions.
Sep 15th 2017
I don't leave reviews but i sure do read them
Sep 15th 2017
I take individual reviews with a grain of salt
Sep 15th 2017
For me it's bad reviews that all have the same complaint
Sep 15th 2017
generally i trust anything with a 4 star + rating
Sep 15th 2017
i think about this whenever reading yelp or amazon reviews
Sep 15th 2017
I judge people who Yelp review low brow, obviously raggedy shit
Sep 15th 2017
I dont go by overall score when I look at them
Sep 15th 2017
I love Yelp reviews, especially when you can tell someone came with a no...
Sep 15th 2017
I always check the low stars + the dates for patterns
Sep 16th 2017
1 bad experience the person writes a diatribe to shut em down
Sep 16th 2017

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Which functions of society do you use it for?"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't trust Yelp reviews for restaurants. People giving one star reviews because they weren't smiled at tells me nothing about the food.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Firecracker
1892 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:49 AM

5. "Mostly restaurants tbh, and honestly often Google reviews"
In response to Reply # 1

Just to get some sort of idea of the place / bar in question

I don't trust it BLINDLY obviously

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:40 AM

2. "reminds me of when i was reading a review on glassdoor"
In response to Reply # 0

and it was the same exact wording from an informational brochure to new hires. I was like c'mon man do better smh.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Firecracker
1892 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:50 AM

6. "bruh... "
In response to Reply # 2

Can't trust these e-streets no mo

/ or ever

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:47 AM

3. "Nope. Always seems like people who do the most leave yelp reviews"
In response to Reply # 0

Type of people who walk in looking for shit to complain about and bitch regardless of the service.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Firecracker
1892 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:48 AM

4. "How come you never tried the mexican food your homie"
In response to Reply # 3

at work is bringin back to his desk?

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:58 AM

7. "I tried a taco, shit was fabulous"
In response to Reply # 4

but I don't know where the truck is that he got it from. They prolly don't use the app that lets you know where they are. It's some real deal word of mouth type truck but prolly only in their part of town.

they also put me up on a few spots. I go to Azteca but I'm not sure if that's their REAL spot.

I see mexican spots on Albermale that look shady as fuck. Tinted windows and shit.

My boy I grew up with told me he walked into one spot and it was like the music stopped....lol.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Foodies..."
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Sep-15-17 11:48 AM by Flash80

are probably the top 3 most pretentiously-annoying people on the plant.

people banging out 10 paragraphs and posting 10 pics of 10 different dishes in a single review.

FOH

service quality pretty much always trumps food quality for me, 'cause it seems the former has the propensity to suck more often than the latter.

i leave a review (positive) if someone really kicks ass.

a negative review is coming if it's place that i've frequented with a lotta dolla bills in the past and they start to go downhill.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:34 AM

8. "dont trust reviews. form your own opinions."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 10:52 AM

9. "I don't leave reviews but i sure do read them"
In response to Reply # 0

Everyone has their own experience and one employee can make or break it, but i usually find reviews helpful, especially if you are deciding between places with no frame of reference.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 11:11 AM

10. "I take individual reviews with a grain of salt"
In response to Reply # 0

The overall rating seems more important. If it has 4 or 5 stars chances are its pretty good, if it's 3 or less you can bet that it probably sucks.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 12:43 PM

15. "For me it's bad reviews that all have the same complaint"
In response to Reply # 10

If everyone says the food is cold or the service is slow... it's prolly true.

Then again, if it's a soul food spot I expect the food to be a little salty and the service to be slow.

Went to a soul food spot and realized it was owned by an Asian dude. WTF? He came over to the table on some "Donald Trump no good, gonna take away the welfare, he no like our skin color, knowhatimsayin'"

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 12:10 PM

12. "generally i trust anything with a 4 star + rating"
In response to Reply # 0

if it's 3-4, I'll take a look at the bad reviews...most of the time it's stuff like "bad" service or "ambiance" aka white folks complaining.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 12:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "i think about this whenever reading yelp or amazon reviews"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm not going to review a damn thing but i'll read them for sure. I usually use Yelp for pictures of the place, see what the ambiance is like.

--sig--
n/a

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I judge people who Yelp review low brow, obviously raggedy shit"
In response to Reply # 0

Like, there's a(n in)famous hotel in L.A. called the Snooty Fox, which is known to be a joke because it's RIGHT in the middle of where all the hookers are, and they have mirrors on the ceiling. Nobody would ever consider going there on some "nice night" shit, ever.

Yet, hella reviews are judging it like it's supposed to be a 5 star. Let them live in their 1.1 star glory!

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 01:05 PM

16. "I dont go by overall score when I look at them"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-15-17 01:24 PM by RobOne4

I look at the bad reviews just to see if there is consistency. Most of the time its some crazy person who says the food was great and service was great but the ambiance was lacking 1 star. So if there is a bad trend in the bad reviews I will probably avoid it.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 09:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
17. "I love Yelp reviews, especially when you can tell someone came with a no..."
In response to Reply # 0

and it was either confirmed or not and their entire experience was tainted by that

like people going to bars known for their food but primarily a bar and so they don't have servers and have signs all over the menu and bar asking you to please order at the bar and have your ID ready, yet people write these incredulous reviews about how they sat silently in a booth for 15 minutes and no one came to take their order. 1 STAR, ZERO STARS IF I COULD!

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44846 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 12:04 AM

18. "I always check the low stars + the dates for patterns"
In response to Reply # 0

during our apartment hunt I came across several patterns. One of the nicest-looking, amenity-rich spots wound up with horrendous reviews over the last year or two, and the themes were common across all the one star reviews, of which there were many that kept popping up. Needless to say, we dodged a bullet with that one.

Another spot had bad review after bad review, all talking about maintenance issues and many referencing new management as a primary time frame for the decline. The new community director answered several of those and it was clear that there was smoke on that front.

In terms of actually utilizing Yelp as a consumer informational tool, that boils down to how savvy you are in how you review the reviews, not the reviews or reviewers themselves. It's pretty easy to spot people who are simply particular about every last detail of their experience and live to shit on a business for not being psychic, but if review after review says the food is bland and the service is slow? There might be something to that.

It's about helping you make an educated choice as a consumer and I've found it quite useful when viewing reviews in the aggregate, not whether or not I can trust a particular salty motherfucker on a bender.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 12:09 PM

19. "1 bad experience the person writes a diatribe to shut em down "
In response to Reply # 0

As if any place can't have a bad day, hour, whatever

Lobby General Discussion topic #13194717 Previous topic | Next topic