Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13193410

Subject: "why do they have the Nat'l Anthem performed at sporting events?" Previous topic | Next topic
SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"why do they have the Nat'l Anthem performed at sporting events?"

like...for what?

in the overwhelming majority of sporting events in any given USA professional team sports league each team is from the USA (NHL being the major exception). the majority of events are played on US soil. i mean...we all know where it's going down. so...what?

why do it?

it's not the Olympics or the World Cup or any other of the international competitions where players/teams represent a nation. and in those competitions the winning nation's anthem is performed. that's fine. i get that.

this ain't that.

so why? and when did they start?

and for the of GOD i need the MLB to STOP IT W/THE GOD BLESS AMERICA SHIT. i don't go to as many MLB games as i used to and when i have gone lately it was at Wrigley where they still do Take Me Out to the Ballgame w/some random celeb. i can appreciate that. so i forget that in other stadiums they do GBA at the 7th inning stretch. i can't fucking stand that song. jesus. just...i mean. we will never forget to remember. stop it already!!!!!!!

but back to the Anthem. why and for what? and why not just not do it? damn.

fuck you.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Why do they have it period knowing it's racist in it's origins?
Sep 11th 2017
America the Beautiful should be the Nat'l Anthem.
Sep 11th 2017
      Yup, can't have that though. Too unifying and no mention of bombs.
Sep 11th 2017
well, I guess when you look at the NFL logo it makes sense
Sep 11th 2017
Shit, ALL the major sports logo colors are red white and blue
Sep 11th 2017
      Except the NHL.
Sep 11th 2017
It really should be reserved for special games
Sep 11th 2017
I believe the military pays pro sports leagues to spread nationalism
Sep 11th 2017
but you don't know?
Sep 11th 2017
      The US military pays 10 million for patriotic displays & troop tributes
Sep 11th 2017
           thanks.
Sep 11th 2017
RE: why do they have the Nat'l Anthem performed at sporting events?
Sep 11th 2017
thanks.
Sep 11th 2017
I was at a baseball game with some friends...
Sep 11th 2017
OMG. LOL
Sep 11th 2017
Before music concerts too lol.
Sep 11th 2017
i've never encountered that.
Sep 11th 2017
I wager if Kap had done it then it would still be an issue
Sep 11th 2017
RE: Before music concerts too lol.
Sep 11th 2017
      Abdul-Rauf's home destroyed by fire ~2001
Sep 11th 2017
tradition...and white folks value system
Sep 11th 2017
Its less than 100 years old.
Sep 11th 2017
I don't mind it, I mind god bless America in the middle of the event
Sep 11th 2017
Whitney's SB anthem pretty much is the answer too..
Sep 11th 2017
How is that the answer too?
Sep 11th 2017
      the reaction to her singing the anthem is why they do it
Sep 11th 2017
Is it just a US thing? Do they play O Canada before CFL games?
Sep 11th 2017
they do before NBA games in canada
Sep 11th 2017
They play the Canadian and US anthems before NHL games in Canada.
Sep 11th 2017
I think it started as an olympic holdover
Sep 11th 2017
1918 World Series. During WWI.
Sep 11th 2017
      ah, there you go
Sep 11th 2017
all answers considred right and that "great American pastime" spiel
Sep 11th 2017

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Why do they have it period knowing it's racist in it's origins? "
In response to Reply # 0

Probably the same answer. Helps to keeps white people white and black people under the illusion that they are Americans or something

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "America the Beautiful should be the Nat'l Anthem."
In response to Reply # 1

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Yup, can't have that though. Too unifying and no mention of bombs."
In response to Reply # 7

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:40 AM

2. "well, I guess when you look at the NFL logo it makes sense"
In response to Reply # 0

its a slick way to promote nationalism

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "Shit, ALL the major sports logo colors are red white and blue"
In response to Reply # 2

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 07:32 PM

32. "Except the NHL."
In response to Reply # 24

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:41 AM

3. "It really should be reserved for special games"
In response to Reply # 0

- Opening day/first home games of the season
- Holidays (July 4th. Memorial Day, September 11th, etc)
- Championship games/Opening home games of playoff series

I honestly do my best to get to my seats after the anthem plays because I think the song is rubbish and the I'm bored to death listening to it.

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:42 AM

4. "I believe the military pays pro sports leagues to spread nationalism "
In response to Reply # 0

The NFL gets paid to do the national anthem to encourage people to join the military

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:47 AM

6. "but you don't know?"
In response to Reply # 4

i can't find anything that tells me why it's done and when it started and why it started.

fuck you.

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:57 AM

10. "The US military pays 10 million for patriotic displays & troop tributes "
In response to Reply # 6

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9670302/nfl-paid-patriotism-troops-mcain-flake-report-million

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/us-defense-department-paid-14-nfl-teams-54m-to-honor-soldiers/

The paid for nationalism is confirmed as a recruitment tool

This article says the NFL actually gave money back after the paid patriotism was criticized as misspent taxpayer funds

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15611052/nfl-returning-723000-taxpayers-paid-military-tributes

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:05 PM

12. "thanks."
In response to Reply # 10

but that's not about the Anthem specifically but it does explain some of the pomp and circumstance surrounding renditions of the Anthem during NFL events. like why they so often have members of the military performing or doing some tricks or whatever during the Anthem. and it explains all of the flyovers w/military jets and stuff like that.

funny story - the whole shit started w/MLB's 1918 World Series. a Navy guy playing for the Cubs saluted the flag when a band played the Anthem in the 7th inning stretch of a Chicago home game where the crowd was pretty dead. the crowd got into it. so when the series rolled into Boston (Cubs-Red Sox in the WS...kill me) the Red Sox had the Anthem in pregame and wrapped it up w/a bunch of injured soldiers and rah-rah (WWI was on). that sealed it. other teams followed suit.

it has infected every pro sports league, so it seems.

but since the military is in bed w/the NFL i'm sure it won't stop there. the military doesn't exactly pay NFL teams to play the Anthem - it seems assumed the teams will play it (contractual requirement at all NFL events) and the military pays for the add-ons. the rah-rah.

ugh.

fuck you.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:47 AM

5. "RE: why do they have the Nat'l Anthem performed at sporting events?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/6957582/the-history-national-anthem-sports-espn-magazine

http://mentalfloss.com/article/22150/why-do-we-sing-national-anthem-sporting-events

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:52 AM

8. "thanks."
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Sep-11-17 11:52 AM by SoWhat

so...it started w/the fucking Cubs. LOL

and @ the 7th inning stretch.

when they were playing the goddamned Red Sox. in the World Series.

my god.

lol

as a Cardinals fan i'm disgusted even more by the thing being done at all considering that root.

fuck you.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 11:59 AM

11. "I was at a baseball game with some friends..."
In response to Reply # 0

We'd gotten some shitty seats, and were really just walking around the stadium, getting drinks and food and stopping to watch the game at the various bars and places you can stand to watch it. Eventually we wandered over to some empty seats at the top of the 7th inning. During the stretch they played god bless america, and we didn't stand, didn't sing -- just continued our conversation. All of us brown. The white folks in front of us were visibly annoyed that we weren't showing "proper respect" and one of them got up to alert security that we weren't in the correct seats...

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:06 PM

14. "OMG. LOL"
In response to Reply # 11

fuck you.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:06 PM

13. "Before music concerts too lol."
In response to Reply # 0

I was reading Morrissey's book and he was appalled that they played the national anthem before his performances in some US cities so he played an anti-nationalist song over the PA immediately afterwards in applicable cities.

I remember Carlos Delgado of the Blue Jays sat down for the anthem and 'America the Beautiful' during the stretch inning shortly after 9/11. Garnered niche interest but nothing more. Kap's a big deal because of our polarizing times. It'd be a blip on the radar in 95 or 05.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:09 PM

15. "i've never encountered that."
In response to Reply # 13

and it would drive me crazy.

lol

fuck you.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:33 PM

18. "I wager if Kap had done it then it would still be an issue"

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 04:34 PM

29. "RE: Before music concerts too lol."
Mon Sep-11-17 04:37 PM by MEAT

> Kap's a big deal because of our polarizing times. It'd be a
>blip on the radar in 95 or 05.

https://thinkprogress.org/mahmoud-abdul-rauf-protest-anthem-1f4b1a953f25/

Abdul-Rauf, who converted to Islam in 1991, stopped standing for the national anthem during the 1995-96 season. For about 60 games, he would either stretch during the anthem or stay inside the locker room, and it wasn’t an issue. But when a reporter asked him about it, he did not hide his reasoning behind his decision — and controversy exploded.

“You can’t be for God and for oppression. It’s clear in the Quran, Islam is the only way,” he said at the time, according to The Undefeated. “I don’t criticize those who stand, so don’t criticize me for sitting.”

The NBA suspended Abdul-Rauf for one game, and when he returned to the court, he struck a deal with the league — instead of sitting for the anthem, he would stand with his teammates but close his eyes and look downward. He would usually spend that time silently citing Islamic prayer.

Abdul-Rauf received death threats
for his decision
and
even
had
his
home
burned
to
the
ground.
The Denver Nuggets, which had drafted Abdul-Rauf third overall in the 1990 draft, traded him to the Sacramento Kings in 1996. With the Kings, his playing time drastically diminished. He went unsigned after the 1998 season, and played most of the rest of his career overseas until he retired in 2011.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 04:41 PM

30. "Abdul-Rauf's home destroyed by fire ~2001"
In response to Reply # 29

Abdul-Rauf's home destroyed by fire

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/nba/stories/2001-07-30-abdul-rauf.htm

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — The unoccupied home of NBA player Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was destroyed by fire Monday.

No one was injured in the blaze that left only the brick frame was left standing at Abdul-Rauf's house, five miles outside of Gulfport. Authorities said arson has not been ruled out.

"As far as I'm concerned, this sounds like a hate crime," said Abdul-Rauf, who is black. "When a person can't build a home on the property he owns, it's ridiculous. It shows how hateful and how prejudiced people are."

The house, which had been for sale, has never been occupied.

During construction of the 2,800-square-foot home,
the
letters
KKK
were spray-painted on a sign near the house, Abdul-Rauf said.
The
contractor
had reported receiving calls
threatening his life.

"I (once) said before I moved in, it would be burned down," Abdul-Rauf said. "This is just an indication, I think, of how far we've got to go in terms of human relations in this country."

Hancock County Fire Marshall Richard Pate said the cause of the fire is unknown, but that arson hasn't been ruled out.

"We want to cover all bases on this thing to make sure we don't miss anything," Pate said.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:20 PM

16. "tradition...and white folks value system"
In response to Reply # 0

the flag/troops/nationalism is right under dogs in their value heirarchy

=======================================
Coolin...

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:28 PM

17. "Its less than 100 years old."
In response to Reply # 16

And started with a World Series game. It was intended to entertain the fans and maybe get them into the game when they were kinda bummed about WWI and a recent act of domestic terrorism. It worked. Other baseball teams copied. First at postseason games and on holidays. Then eventually at every game.

Now it feels like we're stuck with it.

But all just to entertain fans. And plenty of them seem to be entertained by it and all of the weird sentiment surrounding it. The hallowed nature of it all. It lends a bit of gravitas to the event. Ppl seem to dig that. I don't but I'm a dirty, godless heathen. Lol

fuck you.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:35 PM

19. "I don't mind it, I mind god bless America in the middle of the event "
In response to Reply # 0

----------

IG @h_n_z

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:36 PM

20. "Whitney's SB anthem pretty much is the answer too.."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_lCmBvYMRs

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5187 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:46 PM

21. "How is that the answer too?"
In response to Reply # 20

They need to replace it with Public Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmyhh4WBxgk

---------------------------
Signature

legsdiamond
79594 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 12:52 PM

22. "the reaction to her singing the anthem is why they do it"
In response to Reply # 21

she bodied that shit and since we were at war at the time it send "waves" through the country.

Somehow a football game was about supporting the troops and winning the war.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 02:05 PM

23. "Is it just a US thing? Do they play O Canada before CFL games?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
26. "they do before NBA games in canada"
In response to Reply # 23

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 05:20 PM

31. "They play the Canadian and US anthems before NHL games in Canada. "
In response to Reply # 23

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 03:15 PM

25. "I think it started as an olympic holdover"
In response to Reply # 0

basically make going to games part of patriotism so people would go to the games.

now it's just there.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 03:27 PM

27. "1918 World Series. During WWI."
In response to Reply # 25

fuck you.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 03:59 PM

28. "ah, there you go"
In response to Reply # 27

rdhull
Charter member
33135 posts
Mon Sep-11-17 08:09 PM

33. "all answers considred right and that "great American pastime" spiel"
In response to Reply # 0

but like you said, ATB would be approriate enough for that but that WW1 shit like you said tradition probably

>like...for what?
>
>in the overwhelming majority of sporting events in any given
>USA professional team sports league each team is from the USA
>(NHL being the major exception). the majority of events are
>played on US soil. i mean...we all know where it's going
>down. so...what?
>
>why do it?
>
>it's not the Olympics or the World Cup or any other of the
>international competitions where players/teams represent a