Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13178611

Subject: "Rob Bell" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79605 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 11:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rob Bell"

Are you one of the Christians who love trying to prove to atheists that God exists?
Don't bother, Bell said.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/28/us/rob-bell-bible-belt/index.html

He told the audience he doesn't like those YouTube videos where Christians "destroy" atheists in debates. Respect people's doubts, he said. You can't lead them to where they don't want to go. Doubt is part of the biblical narrative, he said, quoting Jesus' cry on the cross: "My God, My God, why has thou forsaken me?"

"The Bible is as much about the absence of God than the presence of God," he said.

Do you belong to a church that says women cannot be priests or pastors?

Bad move, Bell said.

Any church that does so betrays the example of Jesus, who treated women as equals. Women in Jesus' times couldn't even testify as witnesses in court.
"Yet all the gospels have women as the first witnesses to Jesus' resurrection," he said.

He's telling audiences that a person should read the Bible "literately," not "literally;" that people who talk the most about the Bible often know it the least; and to the 81% of white evangelicals who voted for President Donald Trump, he declares:

You voted for a leader who has "zero moral compass."

Bell, who was once a megachurch pastor, says many evangelicals voted that way because they were motivated by "fear and power."

"The reason why this person got elected in many ways can be traced to a misreading of scripture," Bell said. "The way of Jesus is the way of nonviolence, it's love of the other. The story of Exodus is remembering you were once wandering slaves, so whatever you do be kind to the widow, the orphan, the immigrant among you. So when a nation of immigrants starts putting up travel bans, you have officially lost the plot."

-----

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
another scholar says it similarly read the texts as a 1st 2nd temple Jew
Jul 28th 2017
He has a couple of books out, the names escape me
Jul 30th 2017
Fuck him. Secular humanist or idiot
Jul 30th 2017
Haha, my goodness
Jul 30th 2017
ok, tell me more
Jul 31st 2017
Evangelicals have ruined christianity + black church in particular
Jul 31st 2017
for the love of money
Jul 31st 2017
yep, my church back home moved to a bigger place
Jul 31st 2017
they got bought (faith-based initiatives)
Jul 31st 2017
Saw him in Charlotte - he's dope!
Jul 31st 2017

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Jul-28-17 12:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "another scholar says it similarly read the texts as a 1st 2nd temple Jew"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-28-17 12:03 PM by Atillah Moor

And in reference to Paul's writings on women in the church he is writing from a perspective of reducing the threat of incidents mentioned in verses dealing with women and the lesser gods cohabitating

A threat that was very real to him in his day and well - may happen again but I digress

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8750 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 12:34 AM

2. "He has a couple of books out, the names escape me"
In response to Reply # 0

His books are more like the transcript of a sermon, in a good way. But he's a refreshingly compassionate voice for all of society, believers or otherwise.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 01:42 AM

3. "Fuck him. Secular humanist or idiot"
In response to Reply # 0

Bernie Bro this guy

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Sun Jul-30-17 07:28 AM

4. "Haha, my goodness "
In response to Reply # 3

legsdiamond
79605 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 08:10 AM

5. "ok, tell me more"
In response to Reply # 3

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 08:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Evangelicals have ruined christianity + black church in particular"
In response to Reply # 0

Remember when the black church used to be the hive mind for black progressive values and social change instead of silent in the blacklivesmatter era?

Remember when local white church groups would align themselves with the civil rights movements?

Somehow evangelicals have taken the mantle of doomsday libertarian capitalists.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 09:36 AM

7. "for the love of money"
In response to Reply # 6

legsdiamond
79605 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 09:44 AM

8. "yep, my church back home moved to a bigger place"
In response to Reply # 7

but it's no longer in the community. Its on a service road and you can't walk there.

a nice facility but IMO a terrible location and I don't think the congregation has grown.

jimi
Charter member
4614 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 09:49 AM

9. "they got bought (faith-based initiatives)"
In response to Reply # 6

gov started funding churches, so you know what that means

I'm sure even before that but something changed

@silentintellect

Torez the Judge
Member since Mar 13th 2007
3957 posts
Mon Jul-31-17 01:00 PM

10. "Saw him in Charlotte - he's dope!"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWl0-4TDdly/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWl07VGDGS5/

The past is my foundation, not my preoccupation.

http://www.typeillypress.com
http://www.twitter.com/mtorez

Lobby General Discussion topic #13178611 Previous topic | Next topic