Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13177509

Subject: "Bar in Brooklyn Sparked Gentrification Protests (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Tue Jul-25-17 03:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bar in Brooklyn Sparked Gentrification Protests (swipe)"

http://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/news/a56541/bar-in-crown-heights-sparked-gentrification-protests/

Residents of the neighborhood were offended by "bullet-hole" walls and 40 oz rosé.

This weekend, Brooklyn residents took their frustration over a recently opened "boozy sandwich shop" to the streets. Elements of the decor and menu at Summerhill elicited allegations of racism and classism in addition to broader concerns about gentrification in the surrounding Crown Heights neighborhood.

Residents held an open forum outside the bar this weekend to air grievances about the venue and initiate a dialogue. Organizers released a statement of demands for Summerhill, including a "public apology," the removal of "bullet holed walls," and a business plan to "incorporate local Crown Heights residents and people of color as employees at living wages or higher."

After opening in June, the restaurant released marketing materials citing bullet hole-ridden walls and 40 oz bottles of rosé on the menu, a product which mimics bottles of Colt 45 malt liquor. Becca Brennan, the owner of Summerhill and a former corporate tax attorney, was quoted in Gothamist suggesting serving the bottles in paper bags (which she has since retracted). At a venue offering $12 cocktails, these details seemed derogatory. Some residents saw them as offensive references to gun violence and harmful racial stereotypes in an ethnically diverse neighborhood.

Crown Heights is no stranger to the waves of gentrification that have swept through Brooklyn, and Summerhill isn't the first establishment to elicit criticism from the community. Last year, Dan Wilby was compelled to change the name of his bar, Crow Bar, after protests by the Crown Heights Tenant Union pointed out the racially violent history of its name.

In the past few weeks, flyers started appearing around the neighborhood using some of Brennan's quotes from articles ("I was getting tired of walking to Franklin") and phrases such as "This Is What Gentrification Looks Like."

"I truly never meant it in that way, but I recognize that it was insensitive," Brennan told Gothamist the week before the protest. "I was excited to keep the wall as a shout out to the different businesses that occupied the space before us but my intention was misinterpreted and I'm sorry for that."

Summerhill was open for business throughout the forum, and Brennan did not publicly comment at the event. She did, however, publish a statement on Saturday via the bar's Instagram account apologizing for recent comments.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Becca going full Becky.
Jul 25th 2017
bet she threw mad Afro blackface pimp parties in college
Jul 25th 2017
actually because of this story I discovered 40oz rose
Jul 25th 2017
Interesting that they chose a theme related to black poverty
Jul 26th 2017
Yeah, but that would be disrespectful.
Jul 26th 2017
please, go back to your flyover state
Jul 26th 2017
Or Upstate New York.
Jul 26th 2017
I need some black folks to open a trailer park themed bar
Jul 26th 2017
Buford Mayo's Olde Tyme Shitshack
Jul 26th 2017
      we joking but it'll work
Jul 26th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Tue Jul-25-17 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Becca going full Becky."
In response to Reply # 0

Bullet holes and fake 40oz' served in paper bags, huh?

I'm sure she *really* didn't mean anything by this, and people are making a big deal out of nothing, and those people protesting are the real racists.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Tue Jul-25-17 03:27 PM

2. "bet she threw mad Afro blackface pimp parties in college"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Jul-25-17 03:37 PM

3. "actually because of this story I discovered 40oz rose"
In response to Reply # 0

http://fortyouncewines.com/

bet money i dont have one next summer

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 07:17 AM

4. "Interesting that they chose a theme related to black poverty "
In response to Reply # 0

When they could have done Italian gangster themed
Irish poverty themed
Or even the equivalent of a Harlem Renaissance theme (if Brooklyn had something similar)

Somebody asked if white people had a culture -- this type of thing is certainly part of it

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:19 AM

6. "Yeah, but that would be disrespectful."
In response to Reply # 4

>When they could have done Italian gangster themed
>Irish poverty themed

To come in and stereotype Irish and Italian Americans like that.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 10:14 AM

5. "please, go back to your flyover state"
In response to Reply # 0

all of you

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 04:33 PM

9. "Or Upstate New York."
In response to Reply # 5

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 03:39 PM

7. "I need some black folks to open a trailer park themed bar"
In response to Reply # 0

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 03:55 PM

8. "Buford Mayo's Olde Tyme Shitshack"
In response to Reply # 7

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Wed Jul-26-17 04:34 PM

10. "we joking but it'll work"
In response to Reply # 8

Lobby General Discussion topic #13177509 Previous topic | Next topic