Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13175712

Subject: "Do you still use cash? Are you ready to use you phone for payments?" Search result list | First match | Last match
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you still use cash? Are you ready to use you phone for payments?"

The only time I use cash is at the taco truck who doesn't have the Square app yet.

Do you trust you phone enough to use it to pay for everything?

Seems like we are lagging behind of the mobile payment trend. India is systematically phasing out cash. A bunch of African countries are heavily using mobile pay. And China is quickly moving that way too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/16/business/china-cash-smartphone-payments.html

In Urban China, Cash Is Rapidly Becoming Obsolete

SHANGHAI — There is an audacious economic phenomenon happening in China.

It has nothing to do with debt, infrastructure spending or the other major economic topics du jour. It has to do with cash — specifically, how China is systematically and rapidly doing away with paper money and coins.

Almost everyone in major Chinese cities is using a smartphone to pay for just about everything. At restaurants, a waiter will ask if you want to use WeChat or Alipay — the two smartphone payment options — before bringing up cash as a third, remote possibility.

Just as startling is how quickly the transition has happened. Only three years ago there would be no question at all, because everyone was still using cash.

“From a tech standpoint, this is probably one of the single most important innovations that has happened first in China, and at the moment it’s only in China,” said Richard Lim, managing director of venture capital firm GSR Ventures.

There are certain parts of the Chinese internet that have to be seen to be believed. Coming from outside the country, it’s hard to comprehend that Facebook or Google can be completely blocked until you are forced to do without them. It’s tough to fathom how critical the messenger app WeChat is for everyday life until the sixth person of the day asks to scan your QR code — a sort of bar code — to connect the two of you.

What’s happening with cash in China is similar. For the past three years, I have been outside mainland China covering Asian technology from Hong Kong, which has a very different internet culture from the mainland. I knew that smartphone payments were taking over in China, as the statistics were stark: In 2016, China’s mobile payments hit $5.5 trillion, roughly 50 times the size of America’s $112 billion market, according to consulting firm iResearch.

Even so, the attendant cultural shift was graspable only in person. I recently moved to Shanghai and felt the change with cash acutely because my first few weeks in the metropolis of more than 20 million were spent cut out of the system. Because of an issue with my bank, I couldn’t immediately link my account to WeChat, which has become a virtual wallet for so many.

That meant I had to navigate China the way I would have three years ago: with a stack of red 100-renminbi notes.

At coffee shops and restaurants, I held up lines as I fumbled out my wallet and peeled off the bills to give the cashier. If I was hungry I had to go outside and find a restaurant, while bowls of noodles, groceries and coffee materialized at our office, ordered by my colleagues and paid for on the phone. If I had to get somewhere, I couldn’t use my phone to unlock one of the ubiquitous bicycles that are a part of China’s bike-sharing craze.

Even the buskers were apparently ahead of me. Enterprising musicians playing on the streets of a number of Chinese cities have put up boards with QR codes so that passers-by can simply transfer them tips directly.

“It has become the default way of life now,” said Shiv Putcha, an analyst with the research firm IDC. “Literally every business and brand in China is plugged into this ecosystem.”

Some Scandinavian countries have also weaned themselves from cash but still use cards frequently. In China, the change has been to phones. One friend didn’t realize how reliant she had become on mobile payments until her bank called her. She had left her A.T.M. card in the machine three weeks earlier and had not noticed its absence.

In practical terms, this means Tencent and Alibaba’s financial affiliate, Ant Financial, the two Chinese internet companies that run WeChat and Alipay, respectively, are sitting atop a gold mine of staggering proportions. Both companies can make money off the transactions, charge other companies to use their payment platforms and all the while collect the payments data to be used in everything from new credit systems to advertising.

Mr. Lim said that according to recent data, Ant Financial and Tencent were set to surpass credit card companies like Visa and Mastercard in total global transactions per day in the coming year. The key is that both companies are able to provide payments on the cheap, partly by allowing smaller vendors to make use of a simple printout of a QR code or their phone, instead of an expensive card reader. A back-end system that stores a record of user accounts, instead of having to communicate with a bank, also keeps costs down.

While Tencent does not break out what it makes from mobile payments, in the fourth quarter of 2016 the “other services” item in its earnings almost tripled from a year earlier to 6.4 billion renminbi, or $940 million, driven largely by mobile payments.

There are some potential future problems with China’s sweeping embrace of online payments. As the country builds its entire consumer economy around two private smartphone payment platforms, it is slowly locking out people unable to get onto those networks, and locking itself into those companies.

At the simplest level, that makes life difficult for tourists and business travelers who are unlikely to open a bank account in China and so will find it hard to turn their phones into wallets.

More broadly, it means things could get harder for foreign and local businesses alike. Foreign companies hoping to sell to Chinese consumers now must deal with Alibaba and Tencent or risk being unable to take payments. Likewise, Chinese companies reliant on Alibaba and Tencent have to build out separate structures to deal with the world of Facebook, Google and credit cards that still dominate elsewhere.

There is a corollary for what could happen here. In Japan in the early 2000s, flip phones could do everything from stream cable TV to pay at stores. But because the phones were so advanced, Japan was slow to adopt smartphones, and it went from tech giant to tech laggard in 15 years.

Now in Japan those flip phones, which are still being used, are called Galápagos phones because they evolved perfectly for an isolated environment.

No doubt aware of this, Alibaba and Tencent are pushing to expand beyond China to ensure their newest innovation doesn’t go the way of the dinosaurs. Still, competition is most likely looming.

“The million-dollar question is: Will Western firms decide to build a system and compete?” Mr. Lim said. “The answer is probably yes.”

Until then, new arrivals like me have to deal with being locked out of China’s online payments infrastructure.

Earlier this month, though, I lucked out using cash. As I was trying to get a pile of stuff from Ikea back to my new apartment, a cabdriver looked skeptically at the huge rolled-up mattress pad I was planning to load into the back of his car.

“I’m not sure I can take you,” he said to me. “I can only take cash.”

“That’s all I have,” I said to my fellow Luddite, who grumpily agreed to ferry me home.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I use cash maybe 1 time per quarter. Been using my phone for at least
Jul 20th 2017
lmao @ per quarter.
Jul 20th 2017
      I been boycotting Cash Only spots for nearly 6 years...
Jul 20th 2017
yeah i still have to get haircuts and shit
Jul 20th 2017
my barber got a square joint for his phone...
Jul 20th 2017
thatd be dope. i might have to hip my barber to that.
Jul 20th 2017
styleseat
Jul 20th 2017
YEP...my barber switched shops and now uses this...
Jul 20th 2017
      The app is a little funky with money
Jul 20th 2017
           SO on point...
Jul 20th 2017
I text my barber the money when he doesn't have his Square
Jul 20th 2017
i have not signed my life over to Google, Amazon, Facebook, Uber
Jul 20th 2017
i keep about $120 cash on me at all times
Jul 20th 2017
damn...EXACT set up, fam....
Jul 20th 2017
already do for the most part
Jul 20th 2017
That's interesting.
Jul 20th 2017
yup
Jul 20th 2017
Vendors need to step they game up.... More people have credit
Jul 20th 2017
I hate "I don't carry cash" people, then as soon as you are somewhere...
Jul 20th 2017
"I don't carry cash" people ain't tryin to get robbed
Jul 20th 2017
well they need to stay their punk asses at home then,
Jul 20th 2017
I've yet to meet a nigga too tough to get robbed but do ya thing king
Jul 20th 2017
      haha
Jul 20th 2017
           The premise is dumb you can get robbed whether you carry cash or not lol
Jul 20th 2017
                nigga said premise...lol....you tellin on ya'self
Jul 20th 2017
                     is that what you think? lol
Jul 20th 2017
Not carrying cash
Jul 20th 2017
of course that's possible...but if you think like a stick up boy
Jul 20th 2017
Y'all hanging out in Chinese takeouts at 1am, or getting meals...
Jul 20th 2017
      Ummmm... yes i do regularly....but niggas get robbed at gas stations
Jul 20th 2017
      Right lol
Jul 20th 2017
best believe they getting you for that phone
Jul 20th 2017
and youve been stuck up exactly how many times?
Jul 20th 2017
      twice...why?
Jul 20th 2017
           wanted to see how common stick ups were around yur way..
Jul 20th 2017
                Lol...i live where bodies getting found in shoppin carts and fb live
Jul 20th 2017
                     You ever think about moving?
Jul 20th 2017
                          http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151215215727-donald-trump-cnn-g...
Jul 20th 2017
                               okayplayer lol...
Jul 20th 2017
i haven't been to a cash-only place in 10 years
Jul 20th 2017
      At most bars and clubs that charge a cover you can't pay at the door...
Jul 20th 2017
Not too much. I hate stopping at ATMs.
Jul 20th 2017
yes. no..
Jul 20th 2017
yo, what happened to that post you made yesterday???
Jul 20th 2017
      someone reported it as spam...
Jul 20th 2017
           i ain't no snitch
Jul 20th 2017
           whaaa?? well shoot, we can do this here then....
Jul 20th 2017
                can post your thoughts on a Wednesday on OKP
Jul 21st 2017
I mainly use cash. Even for large purchases.
Jul 20th 2017
^^ same.
Jul 20th 2017
a device held in your hand or close to your head for payments?
Jul 20th 2017
RE: Do you still use cash? Are you ready to use you phone for payments?
Jul 20th 2017
Still use cash at Asian establishments
Jul 20th 2017
GOT. this is how you get got
Jul 20th 2017
Kenya is the real innovator...M-Pesa system is 10 years old.
Jul 20th 2017
yes, I seen this on 60 minutes
Jul 20th 2017
      I was in Kenya earlier this year, shit is amazing.
Jul 21st 2017
           I wondered if we could do this in America?
Jul 21st 2017
I'm in both camps, honestly
Jul 20th 2017
Yeah, my MIL is still big on using cash
Jul 21st 2017
Dispensaries are still cash only
Jul 21st 2017
You stunting on us, bro?
Jul 21st 2017

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I use cash maybe 1 time per quarter. Been using my phone for at least"
In response to Reply # 0

a year.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79622 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "lmao @ per quarter. "
In response to Reply # 1

I still use it for my breakfast sammich at the cash only spot.

and I'm going back to cash because I think I spend less when I see them bills leaving my wallet.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:50 AM

11. "I been boycotting Cash Only spots for nearly 6 years..."
In response to Reply # 6

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:36 AM

2. "yeah i still have to get haircuts and shit"
In response to Reply # 0

everybody aint on the tech pay wave yet.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:37 AM

4. "my barber got a square joint for his phone..."
In response to Reply # 2

I tell him how much to throw in for the tip, sign with my finger, we dap up and I'm out.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:45 AM

9. "thatd be dope. i might have to hip my barber to that."
In response to Reply # 4

he's very much a "no paper trail" kind of guy though given his past.

<--- Big Baller World Order

bnicedh
Charter member
4667 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "styleseat"
In response to Reply # 2

My barber uses that app to schedule and pay. No need to call or there are no real wait. Show up...pay from the app (which you can do while he cutting) and you out.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:37 AM

29. "YEP...my barber switched shops and now uses this..."
In response to Reply # 28

only reason I pay him directly is I don't want Styleseat in my pockets. They try to get the money at strange times and shit. Like...mofo, I ain't even got to the shop yet and you billing? Chill.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

bnicedh
Charter member
4667 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "The app is a little funky with money"
In response to Reply # 29

but the scheduling is on point.

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:52 AM

42. "SO on point..."
In response to Reply # 31

used to be...wake up wild early Saturday morning to be at the barbershop at 730, so I could say I was there "first" when my barber rolled up at 8. If not, fuck around and be in there half the morning. Now...schedule for whatever the hell time I want and show up a couple minutes before my appointment. If I'm physically in the barber shop more than 35 minutes, it's because I stuck around to shoot the shit with the fellas after my cut.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35865 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:17 AM

39. "I text my barber the money when he doesn't have his Square"
In response to Reply # 2

i do it right in front of him and the text shows up on his phone..then i'm out

d

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "i have not signed my life over to Google, Amazon, Facebook, Uber"
In response to Reply # 0

or any of the other digital overlords. i'm not a fucking millennial.

so, no.

however, when i've lost my atm card i've been annoyed chase hasn't yet made it easy for me to use the phone to get cash from a machine. and i've considered it'd be neat to have the option to pay w/the phone. ultimately i wouldn't use it much. i don't trust it.

i use the phone to pay for transit (only commuter rail) but that's it. and i use quick pay to send money to the homies. otherwise, fuck that shit.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:39 AM

5. "i keep about $120 cash on me at all times"
In response to Reply # 0

There is a $100 bill folded up and stashed in my wallet for emergencies and i usually have $20 in assorted bills in case i come across places that don't take cash or if i'm in places where i don't trust them with my card

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:43 AM

8. "damn...EXACT set up, fam...."
In response to Reply # 5

I keep a benji folded up way off in a separate part of my wallet...then usually have like a 10, 5 and some 1s in the money clip part.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:40 AM

7. "already do for the most part"
In response to Reply # 0

=======================================
Coolin...

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:49 AM

10. "That's interesting."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-20-17 08:56 AM by Numba_33

Isn't cash better for vendors since they have to pay processing fees with those non-cash based transactions? Not saying they shouldn't totally abstain from cashless transactions, but to abstain from using cash seems like it would hurt vendors.

**edit**

And to answer you question, I don't fully trust the technology to want to have my funds get accessed via NFC. I'm just to leery of folks hacking it somehow.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 08:50 AM

12. "yup"
In response to Reply # 10

plus you can score some great deals when you pull out cash.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:01 AM

14. "Vendors need to step they game up.... More people have credit"
In response to Reply # 10

than they have cash.

If you getting 2x the business, then the measly fee is stomachable.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:00 AM

13. "I hate "I don't carry cash" people, then as soon as you are somewhere..."
In response to Reply # 0

cash is required they're looking at you to "spot them", nah fuck you!

I believe a grown ass man should have some cash on him at all times.

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:03 AM

15. " "I don't carry cash" people ain't tryin to get robbed"
In response to Reply # 13

i'm the complete opposite

Coolin...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:18 AM

17. "well they need to stay their punk asses at home then, "
In response to Reply # 15

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:39 AM

21. "I've yet to meet a nigga too tough to get robbed but do ya thing king"
In response to Reply # 17

Coolin...

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:10 AM

26. "haha"
In response to Reply # 21

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:22 PM

48. "The premise is dumb you can get robbed whether you carry cash or not lol"
In response to Reply # 26

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:25 PM

50. "nigga said premise...lol....you tellin on ya'self"
In response to Reply # 48

Coolin...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 02:45 PM

55. "is that what you think? lol"
In response to Reply # 50

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:40 AM

22. "Not carrying cash"

doesn't mean you can't get robbed of anything else of value though. And what if said thief gets upset and wants to get physical because of said person not carrying cash?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:47 AM

24. "of course that's possible...but if you think like a stick up boy"
In response to Reply # 22

what they gonna get you for if it ain't cash....

#1--your phone
#2-- gear if you got it/it's worth it
#3-- jewelry
#4--your whip... mainly young dummy's

if/when you pull out any of the above in certain environments then you a mark...

just like if/when you pay for shit...niggas watch
you pull out cash...niggas eyes get big

you pull out a card...niggas are 8x's more likely to ignore you...and go to options above if they that pressed

Coolin...

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:49 AM

32. "Y'all hanging out in Chinese takeouts at 1am, or getting meals..."
In response to Reply # 24

...at the hood bar? Copping 22s at the trap deli w/ mad dudes out front?

I hear what you're saying, but beside buying dutches I'm rarely in any kind of spot with a bunch of dudes hanging around. And robbing-ass dudes ain't at the supermarket, hardware store, coffee spot, vegan restaurant, etc. Plus, we can pack here.

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:01 AM

35. "Ummmm... yes i do regularly....but niggas get robbed at gas stations"
In response to Reply # 32
Thu Jul-20-17 11:02 AM by ambient1

in broad daylight and some more shit
I was robbed in broad daylight

and you can carry here too
so yeah

Coolin...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:03 AM

37. "Right lol"
In response to Reply # 32

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:10 AM

27. "best believe they getting you for that phone"
In response to Reply # 22

and if shit gets real they gonna chop off fingers to get your thumbprint to open that phone.. lol

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:56 AM

33. "and youve been stuck up exactly how many times?"

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:02 AM

36. "twice...why?"
In response to Reply # 33
Thu Jul-20-17 11:03 AM by ambient1

Coolin...

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:00 PM

43. "wanted to see how common stick ups were around yur way.."
In response to Reply # 36

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:14 PM

46. "Lol...i live where bodies getting found in shoppin carts and fb live"
In response to Reply # 43

themselves getting sliced up

so getting robbed is regular

Coolin...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:20 PM

47. "You ever think about moving?"
In response to Reply # 46

>themselves getting sliced up
>
>
>so getting robbed is regular

ambient1
41077 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:23 PM

49. "http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151215215727-donald-trump-cnn-g..."
In response to Reply # 47

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151215215727-donald-trump-cnn-gop-debate-closing-internet-booed-16-00001503-large-169.jpg

nah...I'm not built like that

Coolin...

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 02:47 PM

56. "okayplayer lol..."
In response to Reply # 49

>http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/151215215727-donald-trump-cnn-gop-debate-closing-internet-booed-16-00001503-large-169.jpg
>
>nah...I'm not built like that

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:01 AM

34. "i haven't been to a cash-only place in 10 years"
In response to Reply # 13

that wasn't a folding table or on wheels

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:13 AM

38. "At most bars and clubs that charge a cover you can't pay at the door..."
In response to Reply # 34

with a card, sometimes you need cash to pay for parking or tip a valet.

Also with all the identity theft & credit card fraud shit that goes on these days I would rather not use my card at a bunch of random different places because every time you use it is another opportunity for someone to steal your shit.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:04 AM

16. "Not too much. I hate stopping at ATMs."
In response to Reply # 0

RE: Do you still use cash? Are you ready to use you phone for payments?

The phone is used whenever and where I can.

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:29 AM

18. "yes. no.."
In response to Reply # 0

I like to keep a little bit of cash on hand...for tipping and for places that may be suspect.

I don't like the idea of being dependent on my phone. What if is lost?

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:45 AM

41. "yo, what happened to that post you made yesterday??? "
In response to Reply # 18

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:32 PM

51. "someone reported it as spam..."
In response to Reply # 41

probably leg's lol

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:59 PM

53. "i ain't no snitch"
In response to Reply # 51

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 01:07 PM

54. "whaaa?? well shoot, we can do this here then...."
In response to Reply # 51

you talking interior design? Home design is kinda broad.

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 08:20 AM

61. "can post your thoughts on a Wednesday on OKP"
In response to Reply # 54

makes no damn sense.

flipnile
13575 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:35 AM

19. "I mainly use cash. Even for large purchases."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-20-17 09:36 AM by flipnile

I prefer to take money out of the bank to avoid ANY hidden fees. Also, I don't want 100% of my purchases tracked.

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:45 AM

23. "^^ same."
In response to Reply # 19

Use cash wherever I can... I find it more of a chore to hand over coins and notes and it makes me feel like I've actually lost something.

Tapping the phone or even a contactless card is just too removed.

It did save my (dog's) life the other week though when we'd walked about 4 miles from home and not got any water with us. Android pay got us a bottle of Evian from a newsagent and a McDonald's from the drive thru opposite. I think that's the only time I've ever used it.

))<>((
forever.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:35 AM

20. "a device held in your hand or close to your head for payments?"
In response to Reply # 0

Pass

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 09:50 AM

25. "RE: Do you still use cash? Are you ready to use you phone for payments?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jul-20-17 09:52 AM by double 0

Been using apple pay more and more these days.... it was weird the first time but I seen an 80 yr old man using it at the grocery store so I stepped my shit up...

Rarely ever carry cash (Say No To Money Phones)...

most cash only spots full of shit you aint supposed to be eating regularly anyway

Barber has a square

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

rhchick
Charter member
15057 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 10:44 AM

30. "Still use cash at Asian establishments"
In response to Reply # 0

and always keep at least $100 stashed away in case of an emergency.

Like when there was a outage for a few days in my area. So I was low on gas and had no cash.

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 11:30 AM

40. "GOT. this is how you get got"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/uQE8Py9ntDA

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:08 PM

44. "Kenya is the real innovator...M-Pesa system is 10 years old."
In response to Reply # 0

New York Times as usual, a step behind and racist.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/21/africa/mpesa-10th-anniversary/index.html

(CNN)Smartphone payments are gaining ground in the US, but mobile money is old news in Kenya.
The majority of the East African country's population is subscribed to a mobile payment service, and the most popular choice is M-Pesa, which celebrates its 10th anniversary in March 2017.
M-Pesa -- "pesa" means "money" in Swahili -- has made a dramatic impact over this time.

The system was launched by Vodafone's Safaricom mobile operator in 2007 as a simple method of texting small payments between users. Today there are 30 million users in 10 countries and a range of services including international transfers, loans, and health provision. The system processed around 6 billion transactions in 2016 at a peak rate of 529 per second.

M-Pesa is also lauded for its social value; offering opportunities for small businesses, and playing a significant role in reducing poverty.
There have been bumps in the road -- the service was withdrawn from South Africa after poor performance -- but M-Pesa's first decade has been a success story.

The next decade will bring new challenges for the mobile payment system.
Safaricom CEO Bob Collymore says it a priority to refine the user experience and offer new services.

The man behind Kenya's top mobile provider 04:48
"One of the big problems has been the relative clumsiness of using M-Pesa," he told CNN.
New streamlined solutions include a debit card that will allow users to tap and pay, and a new mobile app.
The service will face stronger competition in the coming years. The Kenya Bankers Association -- representing 46 banks -- is introducing its own mobile payment platform that will allow convenient transfers between accounts at different banks, and the group hopes this will eat into M-Pesa's market share.
"Given the economics of the product, I think you'll find customers moving over and preferring to use our product," says Habil Olaka, CEO of the Kenya Banker's Association.

Look after the pennies
The Safaricom CEO says he welcomes the banks' intervention as he believes it will drive innovation and benefit the consumer.
"We always used to say that cash is the enemy," says Collymore. "Holding cash doesn't make sense. As soon as you put it in the mattress, it loses value."
"We are not attacking the banks; we're working with the banks...If other people are finding solutions for problems, then that's also cool."
But financial analyst Aly-Khan Satchu of Rich Management believes that competitors will struggle to displace a service that has put down deep roots.
"Are the (banks) going to be able to dislodge M-Pesa? I'm not so sure. It's ubiquitous, it's everywhere," he says. "I think they're going to struggle."
Perhaps in recognition of this challenge, Olaka says the Bankers' Association will be targeting payments that exceed M-Pesa's maximum transaction of 70,000 Kenyan Shillings ($675).
Collymore is happy to maintain focus on the other end of the market. Micro-payments drove M-Pesa to a position of dominance and the CEO has faith that the same model can sustain success into a second decade.
"We target the one shilling," he says. "The banking sector across the world has always ignored the so-called base of the pyramid. We haven't because we understand that the base of the pyramid needs to be served and there's also commercial viability in doing that."

------------------
One Hundred.

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:14 PM

45. "yes, I seen this on 60 minutes"
In response to Reply # 44

Castro
Charter member
50752 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 01:25 AM

57. "I was in Kenya earlier this year, shit is amazing."
In response to Reply # 45

And its more secure than our shit. Most of the folks using don't even have straight up smartphones...they still using motorola flips and they can move money around like Richie Rich.

------------------
One Hundred.

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 07:18 AM

59. "I wondered if we could do this in America?"
In response to Reply # 57

I know we have the Rush Card but I think a system like this without the hellified fees Rush Card has would work.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 12:39 PM

52. "I'm in both camps, honestly"
In response to Reply # 0

I was a bit leery on using your phone to pay, but NFC and Android Pay saved my ass when I was below zero on gas and realized I forgot my wallet. Having set my account up a week or two beforehand saved me from having to push.

At the same time having physical cash on hand was stressed by my parents, and using electronic payment isn't always an option. If I have a taste for 5 wings and fries the carryout may not have a card reader, so...

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

legsdiamond
79622 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 07:21 AM

60. "Yeah, my MIL is still big on using cash"
In response to Reply # 52

its much easier to keep spending in check when you use cash IMO

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 03:03 AM

58. "Dispensaries are still cash only"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

flipnile
13575 posts
Fri Jul-21-17 08:22 AM

62. "You stunting on us, bro?"
In response to Reply # 58

lol, j/k. I wish we had those here.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13175712Search result list | First match | Last match