Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13174261

Subject: "Netflix documentary, "What The Health", is on YT" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptainRook
Charter member
4937 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Netflix documentary, "What The Health", is on YT"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MetYF9hbvI

This documentary has it's detractors, but I believe that everyone should see it for themselves, so that they may come to their own conclusions.

<<<<"Nothings more attractive than a heavy praying woman" © Andre 3000

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
cliff notes?
Jul 17th 2017
Meat is bad for you, the planet/environment, and of course the
Jul 17th 2017
Watched it about a week ago. Definitely one of the better health docs.
Jul 18th 2017
It's scientifically false and I stopped watching after 20 minutes.
Jul 18th 2017
I didn't buy the propoganda either
Jul 18th 2017
Vegetarian/Vegan diets can be good...
Jul 19th 2017
I get the points in her rebuttal and find them valid...BUT
Jul 19th 2017
Watched a few weeks back and haven't eaten meat or much dairy* since
Jul 19th 2017
Yup.
Jul 20th 2017

falafel stand pimpin
Member since Dec 26th 2006
4380 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "cliff notes?"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like I've seen enough health docs. They're all the same. "Meat is fucking bad for you"

CaptainRook
Charter member
4937 posts
Mon Jul-17-17 08:55 PM

2. "Meat is bad for you, the planet/environment, and of course the "
In response to Reply # 1

factory farmed animals that live in inhumane conditions. This we all know (or should know), to some extent.

But this doc. also connects the so-called helping organizations to this tragic and dynamic situation.

Dude really connects the dots and exposes how deep the rabbit hole goes.

I've seen several health documentaries, and this may be the best one that I've ever seen.

It's worth viewing at least the first 30 minutes.

<<<<"Nothings more attractive than a heavy praying woman" © Andre 3000

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14000 posts
Tue Jul-18-17 12:08 AM

3. "Watched it about a week ago. Definitely one of the better health docs."
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Jul-18-17 02:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It's scientifically false and I stopped watching after 20 minutes."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-18-17 03:09 AM by denny

This is hippie, new age bullshit. I'm not equipped to make a substantial argument on the matter but I suspect that this lady is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paQtMnrV6oM

And now for a completely unscientific observation: The vegans I know look exhausted all day long.

Mori
Charter member
3527 posts
Tue Jul-18-17 09:34 AM

5. "I didn't buy the propoganda either"
In response to Reply # 4

Everyone telling me to watch but when I did, I all I heard the actors saying was eat some nasty ass flavorless vegetables. Who wants to live like that?

I can understand some veggies, reducing meat. But let's be real, vegetarian/vegan diets are horrible and require so much more to stay energized. I am not convinced that a strictly plant based diet is good for everyone and at every stage of life.

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Wed Jul-19-17 12:42 AM

6. "Vegetarian/Vegan diets can be good..."
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Jul-19-17 12:45 AM by rorschach

but the first thing with them is that people can't go into them with the idea that they can 'replace' meat and dairy. You don't have to buy into that hype in order to enjoy a vegetarian/vegan diet.

One thing I will say is that your enjoyment level will probably be directly linked to your willingness/ability to cook. If you try to take the easy way, you'll only end up with tragic vegetable dishes.

I had to try different recipes until I found stuff that worked for me. I like curry so roasted cauliflower curry is a go to for me (Indian and African cuisines go over pretty well without meat). I still mostly suck at cooking tofu so I don't mess with it often. Tempeh on the other hand, is awesome when grilling. Veggie burgers are straight....if you make your own patties (the patties in the store are only okay).

As far as the propaganda goes, I just avoid it. I'm not a vegan yet because cheese...but I can do vegetables as long as I'm not stuck with salad every night.
---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Jul-19-17 02:28 PM

8. "I get the points in her rebuttal and find them valid...BUT"
In response to Reply # 4

Homie is yelling fire in a crowded theater and ol' girl is basically stuck looking at the smoke, IMO

dude said cheese interacts with your brain like heroin

HEROIN

Let's not lose sight of the huge claims that are being made in this doc...

...yes, it could have adhered to a more subjective tone and language in places...

but c'mon

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

ramaj1
Member since May 20th 2008
1393 posts
Wed Jul-19-17 02:23 PM

7. "Watched a few weeks back and haven't eaten meat or much dairy* since"
In response to Reply # 0

Sure, there's some propaganda but this doc was the final nail in the coffin of my animal-eating days. I had a few friends with high blood pressure, diabetes and other food-related illnesses; they went vegan/vegetarian and ...like clockwork, those illnesses were gone. No medication. No surgery. Just a change in diet and they were renewed both medically, spiritually and physically. So, What the Health just confirmed even further--and with more depth--what I already saw with my own eyes.

And since I've been vegan-ish (about 95% since I've had traces of dairy here and there by accident), I feel better than I have in years. My body looks even more amazing than it did. I more energetic than ever. My gains in the gym are up even higher. My thoughts are clearer. My perspective is sunnier. I'm just an all around better person...just by changing my diet!

You are what you eat.

Walk On
Member since Apr 04th 2005
8332 posts
Thu Jul-20-17 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Yup."
In response to Reply # 7

<--- #LoveCitees

message brought to you by...

www.onustees.com

Lobby General Discussion topic #13174261 Previous topic | Next topic