Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13173634

Subject: "coders/hackers: lemme ax you something" Previous topic | Next topic
infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"coders/hackers: lemme ax you something"

I stubled across an advertisement for 'Python Programming Bootcamp 2.0' online ($39)

you get lifetime access to the course, (3 hrs) and 28 lessons but the certification of completion is conspicuously not included.

The course usually costs $1293.00 according to the site.

if I took this, what could I do with this 'knowledge'?

Is this practical? I'd imagine they'll want $1000 for the certificate.

What is this: https://deals.thenextweb.com

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It looks worth it for $40.
Jul 14th 2017
thanks
Jul 14th 2017
Im taking similar courses on Udemy
Jul 14th 2017
I wouldn't worry about the certificate and just do it for the knowledge....
Jul 15th 2017
You know they have $10 specials right?
Jul 15th 2017
Unless the certificate says CISCO, I wouldn't bother.
Jul 16th 2017

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It looks worth it for $40."
In response to Reply # 0

TLDR: @ $40, it's worth it. I say fuck the certificate -- I interview for development roles and I would interpret this certificate on a resume as a signal saying "I took a Python class" and nothing more

---

>you get lifetime access to the course, (3 hrs) and 28 lessons
>but the certification of completion is conspicuously not
>included.

I have a bachelors in computer science so my opinion here is biased, but I don't think the lack of a certificate here matters. If I interviewed a candidate who only had these online certificates and no degree, I would probably grill them extra hard to make sure they learned enough of the fundamentals that I'd expect from a bachelors/masters/etc.

What really matters is the skills. If I see you took this Python course I wanna know that you know Python well enough.

>if I took this, what could I do with this 'knowledge'?

Looking at the 'What's Included', you get introduced to a lot of areas: image processing, internet-of-things stuff (raspberry PI), data viz, machine learning. And I'm sure there's some web app stuff in there too since Python has big industry use there. So those are all shallow intros that map roughly to certain gigs you could shoot for: Data Scientist, associate Software Engineer, entry-level stuff.

It would also let you build apps on your own hobby time. You could think of an idea and rely on only yourself to make it real, and learn a shit ton more Python/programming in the process.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 01:01 PM

2. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 1

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Fri Jul-14-17 09:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Im taking similar courses on Udemy"
In response to Reply # 0

Tried coursera and free code camp.com too I'm not an expert or even starting professional but taking those courses along with supplementing may work.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

BlassFemur
Member since Mar 26th 2008
10309 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 02:19 PM

4. "I wouldn't worry about the certificate and just do it for the knowledge...."
In response to Reply # 0

there are a lot of online courses that I'll take just to get a basics and build on it later by practicing on my own or applying it to a current project. For $39 you really can't go wrong.

https://banafrit.com/
http://middlebrainmedia.com/

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Sat Jul-15-17 03:28 PM

5. "You know they have $10 specials right?"
In response to Reply # 0

Save the $30 for necessities like a smartphone or something else.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Sun Jul-16-17 02:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Unless the certificate says CISCO, I wouldn't bother."
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Just trying to share the world - www.JySbr.net

Lobby General Discussion topic #13173634 Previous topic | Next topic