Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13172406

Subject: "Real peer review part 2" Previous topic | Next topic
denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 10:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Real peer review part 2"

It's been awhile:

'The coloniality of philosophies of biology':
http://meeting.physanth.org/program/2017/session41/mclean-2017-the-coloniality-of-philosophies-of-biology.html

'Authentic Allyship for white-bodied persons'
http://selfishactivist.com/authentic-allyship-for-white-bodied-folks/

From 'Journal of Black Masculinity':
https://philpapers.org/rec/JAMOIA

From 'Racial Physics or a theory of everything that's ever happened'
http://tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/01419870.2017.1285040

I can't even bring myself to contexutalize this. Apparently a couple peer-reviewed feminists were angry that they're chosen male partners didn't cooperate with baby duties and that this made them victims of violence:
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09589236.2017.1340151

This paper has been cited 600 times:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0277539584900797

There are no words

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, isn't it infuriating...
Jul 10th 2017
RE: Yeah, isn't it infuriating...
Jul 10th 2017
smh
Jul 10th 2017
no shit. you struggling wrapping your lil head round that?
Jul 10th 2017
That cheese wasn't for you
Jul 11th 2017
      RE: he's a prime example of the continued...
Jul 11th 2017
           So cisgender normatives are a result of white capitalism?
Jul 12th 2017
What's the problem? Did the author fail to argue what they said they wou...
Jul 11th 2017
lol 'you don't understand' does not constitute the argument.
Jul 12th 2017
      Then write a paper with your critiques. That's how this works
Jul 12th 2017
           I don't need to.
Jul 12th 2017
                People use these as a way to argue this type of work should not exist
Jul 12th 2017
                     No.
Jul 12th 2017
There's nothing in the world that I'm less interested in...
Jul 12th 2017
      You're characterizing.
Jul 12th 2017
end post
Jul 10th 2017
Yes...end the post.
Jul 11th 2017
      nah you just a stupid ass white man who thinks he's smart
Jul 11th 2017
           Lol
Jul 11th 2017
https://gamesetgif.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/serena_returntbao.gif
Jul 11th 2017
The penis is a weapon of rape
Jul 12th 2017

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 10:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yeah, isn't it infuriating..."
In response to Reply # 0

that there's intellectual work out there that you don't understand?

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 11:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Yeah, isn't it infuriating..."
In response to Reply # 1

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0MYFJvpc7M15KaaI/giphy.gif

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

denny
11281 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 11:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "smh"
In response to Reply # 1

"I argue that “cultural appropriation” is never merely the appropriation of culture, but also of gender, sexuality, class, etc."

Let's discuss. This is an assertion that all incidents of cultural appropriation are intersectional. More specifically...they are NEVER exclusively about race to the exclusion of any and all other forms of oppression. Fair reading or no?

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 11:55 PM

5. "no shit. you struggling wrapping your lil head round that?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jul-10-17 11:55 PM by astralblak

not surprised

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 02:27 AM

7. "That cheese wasn't for you"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Jul-11-17 02:33 AM by denny

And Strav isn't gonna take it because you are stupid.

How was Eric Garner a victim of cisgender normative society?

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 10:10 AM

10. "RE: he's a prime example of the continued..."
In response to Reply # 7

the many murdered by the violent repression/oppression of the neocolonial state, dumb ass. Which cisgender normative society is a function of, dumb ass. cisgender being persons born biological males, performing (toxic) masculine codes that are learned social constructs, dumb ass. normative society in American being white supremacist, dumb ass.

so when Eric Garner, who was constantly harassed by cops for selling loosies, which the state sees as a "financial threat" to capital, because they pass laws to make it illegal, (aka an informal economy - one that functions without the permit of the state), Garner decided to confront and resist the ridiculousness of that part of normative order in society. Thus, those cops who saw Garner performing outside the norm, which in that moment was listening to white men with badges, was murdered. It did not help that Garner was a big, dark skinned Black male, which white supremacist society throughout history has criminalized and dehumanized as the most threatening and therefore likely to be murdered

dumb ass

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 05:01 PM

17. "So cisgender normatives are a result of white capitalism?"
In response to Reply # 10

The distinction between males and females are the creation of white capitalism?

Did Ancient Asian societies differentiate between males and females? Ancient Africa? Pre-industrial Europe?

Are you crazy?

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 09:25 AM

8. "What's the problem? Did the author fail to argue what they said they wou..."
In response to Reply # 3

> "I argue that “cultural appropriation” is never merely
>the appropriation of culture, but also of gender, sexuality,
>class, etc."
>
>Let's discuss. This is an assertion that all incidents of
>cultural appropriation are intersectional. More
>specifically...they are NEVER exclusively about race to the
>exclusion of any and all other forms of oppression. Fair
>reading or no?

I'm not going to waste my time reading it, but I'm pretty sure the author made their case to support their argument. Doesn't mean you have to agree with the conclusions. I bet a lot of people in the field disagree with the theory proposed in the article.

So what? That's the way academics work. If the work is interesting enough, someone will write an opposing piece with a different take on things and their own supporting evidence.

So just like the last time you did this, you continue to be outraged by stuff you don't understand

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 02:03 PM

13. "lol 'you don't understand' does not constitute the argument."
In response to Reply # 8

I spent three years studying modern philosophy (on full academic scholarship no less) so the ad hominems don't apply to me. I have spent years reading this stuff.

Her claim that 'ALL' instances of cultural appropriation are NECESSARILY intersectional is absurd. If someone wears a sombrero for Halloween and we assume this constitutes cultural appropriation.....how on earth is it anything but racial? It's also sexist? It's also homophobic? BY DEFINITION?

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 04:59 PM

16. "Then write a paper with your critiques. That's how this works"
In response to Reply # 13
Wed Jul-12-17 05:05 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Do you think there are no possible disagreements to be had with David Hume, John Locke, etc? Of course not. There are endless disagreements and critiques to be had especially with non experimental work

>Her claim that 'ALL' instances of cultural appropriation are
>NECESSARILY intersectional is absurd. If someone wears a
>sombrero for Halloween and we assume this constitutes cultural
>appropriation.....how on earth is it anything but racial?
>It's also sexist? It's also homophobic? BY DEFINITION?

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 05:07 PM

18. "I don't need to."
In response to Reply # 16
Wed Jul-12-17 05:10 PM by denny

The simple example I cited was sufficient.

I'm confused as to your tactics here.....one shouldn't voice an opinion on OKP cause that's what 'academia' is for?

My motivation/purpose is to ring an alarm bell here. These ideas are DANGEROUS. If taken literally....they lead to a worldview that reflects authoritarian values.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 05:31 PM

20. "People use these as a way to argue this type of work should not exist"
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Jul-12-17 05:36 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

That's what you first "peer review" post was about. That they were not sufficiently quantitative for your liking. Therefore they are not worth doing.

This one is that these arguments in these papers are incorrect and dangerous. If you want to discuss/critique the papers, then have it.
But if all you want to do is point and yell "Liberals on college campuses are running amuck", then you're just a cheap Tucker Carlson knockoff.

>The simple example I cited was sufficient.
>
>I'm confused as to your tactics here.....one shouldn't voice
>an opinion on OKP cause that's what 'academia' is for?
>
>My motivation/purpose is to ring an alarm bell here. These
>ideas are DANGEROUS. If taken literally....they lead to a
>worldview that reflects authoritarian values.

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 05:46 PM

21. "No."
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Jul-12-17 05:51 PM by denny

It's not that they are insufficiently quantitative. It's that they are attacking the underlying value of quantitative analysis itself. There is more than enough literature that supports this. The anti-intellectual shift from quantitative to qualitative analysis is shown by the emergence of 'autoethnographical' method. Look it up. It's literally everywhere now. Within what? 15 years? The past 5 years and EVERY humanities student is doing autoethnography for their PHD? WHAT?

It's essentially a diary entry because 'intellectual discourse' itself is a tool to maintain patriarchy, white supremacy and penises going into vaginas. Numbers are racist sexist lgbtphobic. Data analysis is the tool of straight white men. Dialectic discourse is sanctioned violence.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 03:15 PM

14. "There's nothing in the world that I'm less interested in..."
In response to Reply # 3

than a discussion of philosophy, critical theory, or the social sciences. So I stay out of those discussions, and leave them to the people who care. It seems like you'd be an ideal candidate for the same.

Now, you claim to know and care about these subjects, so if you want to discuss and argue about them, then that's great. You might want to focus on finding a forum where people are actually interested in conversing with you. This probably isn't it. I don't remember the last time I tried to talk about quantum gravity around here, but it didn't lead to much.

But even if you do want to have a discussion, the problem is you don't seem to have come with any discussion in either of these posts, even *if* someone wanted to play along. You've literally come with right-wing, explicitly anti-intellectual websites cataloguing what appear to be silly titles and abstracts, devoid of any attempt at context. I recoil at this because time and time again it's been the method by which right wing politicians have deligitimized, and in many cases killed, research that I know to be profoundly important.

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 04:47 PM

15. "You're characterizing."
In response to Reply # 14
Wed Jul-12-17 04:56 PM by denny

Real Peer Review is NOT right wing nor is it anti-intellectual. They are mostly east-asian engineering students with a traditional liberal bent.

EVERYBODY should be concerned about critical theory. Astralblack posted a bunch of jibberish above and he's a teacher. (read it for yourself) Because students of critical theory are becoming one of three things. Teachers, activists and/or bureaucrats. Those are very powerful positions. So to claim that one shouldn't speak about the ideas they espouse is ludicrous.

In fact...the more I think about your position...the more ludicrous it becomes. 'That's not my field so I shouldn't interfere'. Many of them are advocating for social revolution?!?! How does one 'not have say' in that?

And the anti-intellectualism is coming from the progressive left side not me. Intellectualism, science and reason have been characterized as tools to maintain straight white male power by this idealogy. They're attacking biology and your field will eventually be attacked too. It's also not very 'intellectual' to suggest I look for another forum or that you don't 'feel like' addressing the issues. This idealogy is present here....so I'll be present here too.

astralblak
20029 posts
Mon Jul-10-17 11:54 PM

4. "end post"
In response to Reply # 1

denny
11281 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 01:49 AM

6. "Yes...end the post."
In response to Reply # 4

Logic has prevailed lol.

Your perception of idealogical victory has a VERY low standard.

astralblak
20029 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 09:51 AM

9. "nah you just a stupid ass white man who thinks he's smart"
In response to Reply # 6

AZ
Charter member
12930 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 12:19 PM

12. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 9

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Tue Jul-11-17 10:47 AM

11. "https://gamesetgif.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/serena_returntbao.gif"
In response to Reply # 1

https://gamesetgif.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/serena_returntbao.gif

denny
11281 posts
Wed Jul-12-17 05:22 PM

19. "The penis is a weapon of rape"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-12-17 05:26 PM by denny

"The second is the lie of the male erection, which is necessary only for the penis to be used as a weapon in rape, for, experientially, hard erections are neither comfortable nor pleasurable nor anything other than symptoms of the aggressive tenseness and rigidity of the macho man."

My kid's teacher studied this? Oh, but it's not my field. I'm not a radical critical feminist so I don't understand what the author is saying.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13172406 Previous topic | Next topic