Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13162580

Subject: "Abolishing the minimum wage" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Abolishing the minimum wage"

can someone explain/educate on why this is a good idea?

cause it sounds like a horrible idea to me.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Abolishing the minimum wage
Jun 05th 2017
I'm for getting rid of the minimum wage
Jun 05th 2017
your post in the other thread inspired this one.
Jun 05th 2017
      *thumbs up*
Jun 05th 2017
RE: Abolishing the minimum wage
Jun 06th 2017
cmon man... you gotta explain why
Jun 06th 2017
Nah buddy, Increased competition
Jun 06th 2017
it's only a good idea ...
Jun 06th 2017
"I do not support a liveable wage" (c) Karen Handel
Jun 06th 2017
shit is still a tight race down here
Jun 07th 2017
the fuck? Why would she say that shit OUT LOUD?
Jun 07th 2017

Wonderl33t
Member since Jul 11th 2002
21405 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 10:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Abolishing the minimum wage"
In response to Reply # 0

Artificial price controls generally hurt overall economy/GDP metrics, and minimum wage is another artificial price control. However, its effects are more directly observable than other artificial price controls like taxes and subsidies, so that is one reason it gets demonized more IMO.

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 11:35 AM

2. "I'm for getting rid of the minimum wage"
In response to Reply # 0

if we replace it with a social safety net, ensuring people have housing, health care, food and education access.

Gotta divorce the relationship between labor/capitalism and human dignity/existence.

How much would McDonalds have to pay you to get off your couch and work for them if you didn't NEED the money to survive. Could be more or even less, but at least your human condition is better with this alternative.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 11:38 AM

3. "your post in the other thread inspired this one. "
In response to Reply # 2

interesting concept

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Mr. ManC
Member since Jan 26th 2009
11819 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 06:06 PM

4. "*thumbs up*"
In response to Reply # 3

I feel like that is the underlying elephant in the room. We aee asking the wrong questions until we can split from that model.

Musica Negra
#13irteen

Willong
Member since Jun 08th 2009
240 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:11 AM

5. "RE: Abolishing the minimum wage"
In response to Reply # 0

The reason teen unemployment is so high is the minimum wage.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:24 AM

6. "cmon man... you gotta explain why "
In response to Reply # 5

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Nah buddy, Increased competition"
In response to Reply # 5

From both younger skewed adults who have been forced to take traditional teen jobs because of the 'new normal' and old folks who ain't leave the job market because lolz, who can afford to retire?

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2015/03/26/studies-suggest-teens-getting-shut-out-of-workforce

The article also throws in this interesting but depressing gem:

“I think among teenagers, there is an increased emphasis on unpaid internships, on extracurriculars and things like service learning,” Ross says, noting that teens, especially those bound for college, are using their free time to boost their resumes in areas other than work experience. “Another problem is that, among some lower-income communities and in neighborhoods where there’s high adult unemployment or lack of participation in the workforce, there’s just not a sense that the working world is for them, and they may not have the social network to help them get a job.”

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:54 AM

8. "it's only a good idea ..."
In response to Reply # 0

if some sort of guaranteed basic income was instituted. say for instance, $1000 a month for all citizens 18 and over for life. that way you maybe wouldn't have much need for a minimum wage and you'd have more teens and first time job seekers taking those types of jobs instead of adults who can't find other gainful employment. there's too many people working minimum wage jobs because they have to instead of what it should be which is a first job or something like that.

of course a GBI could also help with lots of other issues, minimum wage being just one of them.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Tue Jun-06-17 09:23 PM

9. ""I do not support a liveable wage" (c) Karen Handel"
In response to Reply # 0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kPkY-dhuI7w&time_continue=3

GA: 06 do the right thing

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Boogiedwn
Member since Sep 25th 2003
8677 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 07:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "shit is still a tight race down here"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed Jun-07-17 07:59 AM by Boogiedwn

Signs all over the place, not my district but I drive through to get to work.

Radio and tv ads stepping into high gear as well. AARP running ads now to block the new healthcare bill in a parallel support of Ossof without saying his name.

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Wed Jun-07-17 08:20 AM

11. "the fuck? Why would she say that shit OUT LOUD? "
In response to Reply # 9

and it's like right after she said it she realized she fucked up.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13162580 Previous topic | Next topic