Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13162515

Subject: "RIP to UTFO's, Educated Rapper (a/k/a, EMD)" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptainRook
Charter member
4937 posts
Sun Jun-04-17 05:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP to UTFO's, Educated Rapper (a/k/a, EMD)"

http://www.bet.com/music/2017/06/04/educated-rapper-from-u-t-f-o--has-passed-away.html

Educated Rapper (a.k.a. EMD) of the legendary hip-hop group U.T.F.O. has passed away, according to fellow group member Mix Master Ice and legendary Bronx promoter Van Slik.

Real name Jeffrey Campbell, the emcee’s passing was confirmed late Saturday (June 3). He was taken to a Brooklyn hospital where he died. Van Slik told HipHopDX that the EMD had been fighting with cancer, however an official cause of death has not yet been determined.
“I just got off the phone with Rahiem (of the Furious Five),” Van Silk says. “They were all hospital last night. It was the first time all original members of UTFO had been together in a long time. He had been sick with cancer and must have had it for awhile.”
Mix Master Ice had previously posted a heartfelt plea on Facebook to fans asking for their prayers prior to Campbell's passing.

This is a All Out Cry For Prayer! I just got the ok from family to go viral.. As I hold his hand, I need everyone's power in prayer to pray for one of my best friends since 1979 & hip hop partner, Jeffrey Campbell.. Known to our World Wide fans as:
The Educated Rapper MD or EMD
1/4 of the U.T.F.O. crew, which stands for: "Untouchable Force Organization"
* He is extremely ill and not doing well..
Please help us pray for a Miracle Blessing..
#powerinprayer
#prayer
#UTFO

All members of U.T.F.O. (which stands for Untouchable Force Organization) were reportedly together at EMD's hospital bedside before he died. It was the first time the group had been together in full for quite a while.
U.T.F.O. is perhaps best known for their hit “Roxanne, Roxanne,” which stood on its own as a classic cut, but also ignited what would later be known as the “Roxanne Wars” – a series of beef tracks between the Brooklyn-based group and Queens rapper Roxanne Shanté (from the Juice Crew).
“Roxanne, Roxanne” along with “Pick Up The Pace” was also featured on the 1985 film Krush Groove. Untouchable Force were among the first breakdancers to appear on daytime television as well.
View reaction from those close to Educated Rapper as well as other hip-hop luminaries below.

<<<<"Nothings more attractive than a heavy praying woman" Andre 3000

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
their debut was my first
Jun 04th 2017
NO Doubt!! "Roxanne, Roxanne" is a Hip Hop classic in every respect.
Jun 04th 2017
One of the first songs that made me love hip hop
Jun 04th 2017
RIP Educated Rapper. Roxanne, Roxanne was the first record i purchased
Jun 04th 2017
RIP
Jun 04th 2017
May he rest in peace
Jun 05th 2017
Yo EMD.....
Jun 05th 2017
My brother had the cassette with all the Roxanne responses
Jun 05th 2017

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Sun Jun-04-17 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "their debut was my first"
In response to Reply # 0

album purchase ever. good music.

peace to him and his fam.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

CaptainRook
Charter member
4937 posts
Sun Jun-04-17 07:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "NO Doubt!! "Roxanne, Roxanne" is a Hip Hop classic in every respect."
In response to Reply # 1

Memorable story telling, several thumping beats, wicked scratching rhythms and a display of various lyrical styles.

Not only that, but this was the record that seemed like it would not die. For a while it just kept coming back, through answer records.

And EMD's verse is probably the most creative rhyme theme ever displayed in the history of Hip Hop music. That was 1984 and I still can't think of any one who has matched the creativity of this verse.

<<<<"Nothings more attractive than a heavy praying woman" Andre 3000

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79803 posts
Sun Jun-04-17 07:57 PM

3. "One of the first songs that made me love hip hop"
In response to Reply # 0

That beat was fire.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Sun Jun-04-17 08:18 PM

4. "RIP Educated Rapper. Roxanne, Roxanne was the first record i purchased "
In response to Reply # 0

"The unexamined life is not worth living." - Plato

wluv
Member since Jan 27th 2003
4362 posts
Sun Jun-04-17 10:41 PM

5. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

Roxanne Roxanne was my sht.

That whole Roxanne vs. UTFO battle was classic.

Losing my childhood one by one.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 10:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "May he rest in peace"
In response to Reply # 0

UTFO were stars of my childhood. The originators of the Izzo flow. Man the way the Educated Rapper came in on Roxanne Roxanne is still crazy to this day. RIP.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 12:13 PM

7. "Yo EMD....."
In response to Reply # 0

God Bless

I saw them in concert they were top notch....

Post if you had the single with "Hangin' Out" on the B side...

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22292 posts
Mon Jun-05-17 03:03 PM

8. "My brother had the cassette with all the Roxanne responses"
In response to Reply # 0

Personally, "Ya Cold Wanna Be With Me" was my favorite UTFO cut.

These cats were criminally underrated and EMD's talent didn't get the props it deserved.

RIP to a pioneer.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13162515 Previous topic | Next topic