Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13161227

Subject: "If you want to do a thing, do yourself a favor and do it. " Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44853 posts
Wed May-31-17 01:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"If you want to do a thing, do yourself a favor and do it. "

I’m coming from the standpoint of a ceaseless daydreamer.
So many ideas. So many ambitions. Some great, some small, all worthwhile regardless of scale of magnitude of success or failure.

I wish I could say I failed at most of my ideas, but the truth is I never brought anything close enough to the surface to truly fail.
I have several partially written novels. A handful of outlines. I get random requests for progress updates from the handful of people I let read them because they enjoyed what little I’d done just enough to want more. Meanwhile I’ve since moved on to some other outline or chapter to some other story that will never be finished.

My website? My “big idea”? Sitting idle, 6 months behind server payments but even if my payments up to date, so what? How long has it been sitting there with minimal, insignificantly incremental movement? Not to mention a handful of several others that were, smaller, simpler and easier to get up and running. Nothing.

Music? I’ve had offers to buy unfinished beats- some from people here on OKP- that I never finished and thus, never sold. A few years back I sold 5 beats to a guy who is fairly successful on a small scale and doing features with current “names”. He wanted to pay far less than what I wanted so I said no thanks. Who knows what I could have gotten off that though? I could have at least developed a new network, got my name out a little.

I could have gotten my associates years ago and, at a minimum, have a better job and making more money in the same department. But nope.
This isn’t a post for wallowing. No feeling sorry.

Just facts and, just maybe, a little motivation for someone else. Not some “rise & grind” bullshit either.

I live in a constant state of shoulda, coulda, woulda, if only. That’s my “stuff” but I know with absolutely certainty that I am not alone in having a list of ideas that never saw the light of day.
Thing is, it doesn’t need to be that deep. It doesn’t need to be a big, ambitious project or a million dollar venture.

I’m not under some illusion that this will translate to some life-altering epiphany for anyone. I damn sure don’t think it’s going to jump start my pessimistic ass into magically mastering the art of the follow-through.

But we get two posts a day, so why not use one of them to hopefully inspire someone to take that thing, whatever it may be, a little further? Another line, the next chapter, a new track, give that podcast a test run, whatever.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
and being successful doesnt make that feeling go away either
May 31st 2017
After 3 years of work, my book is coming out this year
May 31st 2017
dope ish
May 31st 2017
this make perfect sense. unfulfilled people feel terribly inside ...
May 31st 2017
While one who sings with his tongue on fire...
Jun 02nd 2017
i like the title of this post
May 31st 2017
lol...me, too. I really like it.
May 31st 2017
i do too
Jun 01st 2017
this is good advice
May 31st 2017
I can relate
May 31st 2017
XLNT POST
Jun 01st 2017
Word.
Jun 01st 2017

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16803 posts
Wed May-31-17 01:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "and being successful doesnt make that feeling go away either"
In response to Reply # 0

I have "succeeded" in the way of setting a goal and accomplishing it
there are things I would love to do or quit on
but at the same time....I have a pretty good grip on reality and have family,friends,hobbies and a job I absolutely love
I could do more...but im pretty happy with what I have done
which in itself is an accomplishment
doesn't hurt everyone around me is doing well

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Wed May-31-17 01:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "After 3 years of work, my book is coming out this year"
In response to Reply # 0

I had the idea for about 5 years now, sat down and wrote it over the span of a year
put what little money I had into getting the first chapter professionally laid out and designed
When I saw the end result I was like "it can be done!"
fuck a gatekeeper, an agent, a publisher
I'm doing everything for self, putting my money where my mouth is
I ain't for that starving artist put me on bullshit
fuck a gatekeeper

I hate industry gatekeepers because they're dream killers and envious do nothing assholes who are only concerned with maintaining their position

It's been proven over and over again, gatekeepers are useless parasites
ask Jay, Master P, Wu-Tang, Cash Money, Luke, and many others
it has been done and can be done

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79620 posts
Wed May-31-17 02:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "dope ish"
In response to Reply # 2

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Kwesi
Member since Jan 11th 2004
7370 posts
Wed May-31-17 02:06 PM

3. "this make perfect sense. unfulfilled people feel terribly inside ... "
In response to Reply # 0

and treat others with the same malcontent.

and sometimes they make posts peppered with optimism as they reflect on how life has passed them by.

not a dig at you but a general assessment.

also, i agree whole heartedly.

living for ones own desires - especially in the moment - is a safe bet - even when it doesn't seem so.

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Fri Jun-02-17 03:11 AM

12. "While one who sings with his tongue on fire..."
In response to Reply # 3

Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole that he's in

))<>((
forever.

shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Wed May-31-17 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i like the title of this post"
In response to Reply # 0

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Dstl1
Charter member
56233 posts
Wed May-31-17 03:46 PM

7. "lol...me, too. I really like it."
In response to Reply # 5

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Robert
Charter member
4117 posts
Thu Jun-01-17 10:22 AM

10. "i do too"
In response to Reply # 5

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed May-31-17 03:37 PM

6. "this is good advice"
In response to Reply # 0

I dig it.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Wed May-31-17 04:18 PM

8. "I can relate"
In response to Reply # 0

always had friends that were more social/productive so in times I couldn't keep up or get in the same lane I'd use their penchant for knocking out projects/goals as an excuse to sit back and say if I couldn't it as easy as them that I probably couldn't at all

judging fish for riding bicycles lol

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Jun-01-17 10:10 AM

9. "XLNT POST"
In response to Reply # 0

and mild success only makes me beat myself up more.

what the fuck is WRONG with me?

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Thu Jun-01-17 11:05 AM

11. "Word."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby General Discussion topic #13161227 Previous topic | Next topic