Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13147757

Subject: "Friday politics talk. Do Democrats want purity or do they want to win?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15895 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Friday politics talk. Do Democrats want purity or do they want to win?"

Morning Joe hit on something I've been thinking about for a while.

There's some dude running as a Democrat for mayor in Omaha, Nebraska. A lot of Democrats are pulling their support for him because 8 yrs ago he supported a state senate bill requiring doctors to tell women getting abortions that they had a right to ask for an ultrasound.

That Congressional candidate in GA a few days ago apparently wasn't ideologically pure enough to garner Bernie Sanders' support.

The question is, does a candidate need to have 100% scores on all the progressive benchmarks to be an acceptable candidate? Does the culture/values of their constituency not matter.

About month ago here, someone was saying the Joe Manchins of the Dem party gotta get out now. What other person that will vote with the Dems 75% of the time win in West Virginia??

If progressives demand purity, ain't no Democrats ever going to win seats in Kentucky, Arkansas, Bama, because if the go full on progressive they will be out of line with the values of those populations.

So yeah, do Democrats want to win seats? Or do they want to be pure?

Also talk whatever politics shit that's on your mind here (I fully expect this to go straight balsa)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
who knows what they want. My guess would be power over everything
Apr 21st 2017
if that was the case they would hold their nose and vote
Apr 21st 2017
      It doesn't really seem like either party ever "loses" IDK
Apr 22nd 2017
both. and they will get neither
Apr 21st 2017
This is misleading
Apr 21st 2017
Lol. These are my views. Joe just said it out loud today
Apr 21st 2017
All politics are national
Apr 21st 2017
      no.. that's not true at all
Apr 21st 2017
           Bullshit
Apr 21st 2017
           What is wrong with you,????
Apr 21st 2017
                I think he's saying the important politics are localized
Apr 21st 2017
                But folks aren't saying have the same platform just don't negotiate w/co...
Apr 21st 2017
                does local gov or national gov have more of an impact on daily life?
Apr 21st 2017
I'm with this
Apr 21st 2017
How is ensuring women are informed of their options anti-choice?
Apr 21st 2017
How is an unnecessary ultrasound a negotiating point?
Apr 21st 2017
Why should anyone but the pregnant woman decide if it's unnecessary?
Apr 21st 2017
      Ask the person that introduced the legislation
Apr 21st 2017
           I see zero wrong with making sure she knows it's an option if she wants.
Apr 21st 2017
                It ain't your body or your health. GTFOH
Apr 21st 2017
                     That fact has nothing to do with ensuring patients are informed.
Apr 22nd 2017
                          You're trying to make a case for politicians determining relevant info
Apr 22nd 2017
                               Wrong
Apr 23rd 2017
It's troll bait.
Apr 21st 2017
      Yup. its a tactic conservatives have mastered
Apr 21st 2017
      Yeah, but its also genuinely revealing that pro-choice are bothered by i...
Apr 21st 2017
           the intent of that bill is not to increase a woman's agency
Apr 21st 2017
                Is it forcing her to get an ultrasound or letting her know she can?
Apr 21st 2017
                     nah, dont duck the point, bruh. what's the intent of the bill?
Apr 21st 2017
                          What did the actual bill do? Avoiding that is the duck.
Apr 22nd 2017
                          you're not understanding both sides
Apr 22nd 2017
                          You're making things up now
Apr 22nd 2017
                               being obtuse
Apr 22nd 2017
                                    It's not assuming women need to be told what to do
Apr 23rd 2017
                          nah. hiding behind "we're just trying to help" is the duck.
Apr 22nd 2017
                          This that bullshit. You care more about the intent than the practical
Apr 22nd 2017
                               is a woman somehow not allowed to get an ultrasound without the bill?
Apr 22nd 2017
                                    Is it possible a young woman might not know one is available?
Apr 22nd 2017
                                         so we're still pretending that's the goal of the bill, huh?
Apr 22nd 2017
                                         lol, the goal is reproductive health awareness/education for young women...
Apr 22nd 2017
                                         Damn, just having her know she can get an ultrasound bothers y'all huh?
Apr 23rd 2017
                                              again, if the goal was transparency/education/awareness
Apr 23rd 2017
                                                   Deflecting
Apr 23rd 2017
I had a more incendiary post title for this very topic.
Apr 21st 2017
https://youtu.be/phno9K6fdlI?t=2m7s
Apr 21st 2017
Exactly. They need to get their Al Davis on
Apr 21st 2017
they are the worst branders and marketers anywhere
Apr 21st 2017
Democrats push the message of fairness, justice, hope....
Apr 21st 2017
Conservatives took L after L in the Culture Wars and it made them
Apr 21st 2017
The Democrats don't feel "behind" because they control Academia and
Apr 21st 2017
We're fracturing exactly like the Republicans did.
Apr 21st 2017
I wonder, should Dems just cede places like Utah to republicans
Apr 22nd 2017
I wonder, should Dems just cede places like Alabama to republicans
Apr 22nd 2017
NIGGA YOU JUST DESCRIBED TO WHOLE GOP MO..
Apr 22nd 2017
they ain't learned shit from the last year or fifty years.
Apr 22nd 2017
More Bluedog democrats
Apr 24th 2017

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "who knows what they want. My guess would be power over everything "
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-21-17 10:27 AM by Atillah Moor

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79824 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "if that was the case they would hold their nose and vote"
In response to Reply # 1

but too many times Dems would rather be right and lose than be a little wrong and win.

Just Win Baby should be the motto.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 12:43 PM

41. "It doesn't really seem like either party ever "loses" IDK "
In response to Reply # 11

It all looks like a farce from where I sit

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85115 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:29 AM

2. "both. and they will get neither"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:43 AM

3. "This is misleading"
In response to Reply # 0

Democrats haven't won the white voting bloc since the Civil Rights act. So purity politics isn't the issue.
It's elevating the voices of people that are antagonistic to the views of their most consistent voting bloc (women, people of color, and black women in particular).
The only people shouting purity politics are white men who won't lose anything of value by conceding women's health rights or civil rights of minorities. To them, those items are negotiable, to the people they need support from those are core issues.

I can't tell you what to do, but personally I feel only a fool regurgitates the views of Joe Scarborough.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Lol. These are my views. Joe just said it out loud today"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Apr-21-17 11:04 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Politics have become too national in my opinion. The congresswoman is supposed to represent the wants and values of the people in her district. Not that of the entire nation.

The mayor represents just his city, not the nation. Actually now that I think of it, why the hell are the mayoral candidate's abortion views even an issue? That's not even a local issue.

Anyway, there are some districts that won't tolerate full on Sanders/Warren progressivism. But they will tolerate an economic progressive + moderate social views.
The purity folks will say that's not good enough and refuse to put their support behind such a candidate who has a chance to win and vote the progressive line 70% of the time.

MEAT
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:10 AM

9. "All politics are national"
In response to Reply # 8

The idea that they're not is idealism. National Rights for Life, ALEC, and the NRA amongst MANY other national groups push legislation through on local levels, and support local candidates as a mean to normalize them.

Look at Brownback in Kansas for how taxes become national, look at how the voting roll purges in Kansas are being replicated in Indiana.

So we can't even start with "these are local issues" because they're not. Much like body camera issues, stop and frisk issues, stand your ground issues aren't local even though they only get immediate attention when they make national news.

------

legsdiamond
79824 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:24 AM

13. "no.. that's not true at all"
In response to Reply # 9

Politics are local. Most of our gov impact is by local government.

We just get fooled into thinking it's national and this is states like NC went backwards.

Obama won and people stayed home during midterms and we have been trending backwards ever since.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:33 AM

14. "Bullshit"
In response to Reply # 13

Politics are local in the same way states rights are brought up when a state wants to fight federal funding.

How Mayor Bowser of DC runs the metro is local
How Mayor Turner of Houston declares Houston a sanctuary city is national
The illusion of local politics vs national politics is how it's 2017 and we still have sun down towns in the United States.

We want our local politics to be local issues, stop lights, general crime, law enforcement policies. But since the days of Reagan, when the country shifted to union busting and wide spread migration based on industries and tax breaks we haven't had local politics.

------

handle
Charter member
18968 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 12:07 PM

16. "What is wrong with you,????"
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Apr-21-17 12:10 PM by handle

>Politics are local. Most of our gov impact is by local
>government.
>
>We just get fooled into thinking it's national and this is
>states like NC went backwards.
>
>Obama won and people stayed home during midterms and we have
>been trending backwards ever since.
>

Someone RUNNING FOR CONGRESS is on the NATIONAL STAGE.

This is not an alderman election, or local dog catcher.

WTF??

And remember republicans lost the VOTE (but no the election) by 3 million votes AND they lost seats in the senate - so it's not that "THE DEMOCRATS" are losing elections - it's that Republicans seek naked power better.

Their philosophy of life is built for that.

EDIT: unless your only talking about the mayor of Omaha, then I'm a fucker.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 12:10 PM

17. "I think he's saying the important politics are localized"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri Apr-21-17 12:13 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

But too much attention is put of national politics.

And yes, someone running for Congress is running for national office. But should we really expect (demand) that a Dem running out of a district in San Francisco to have the same platform as someone running out of Atlanta?

MEAT
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 12:21 PM

18. "But folks aren't saying have the same platform just don't negotiate w/co..."
In response to Reply # 17
Fri Apr-21-17 12:22 PM by MEAT

Issues. And women's health and civil rights are core issues.
And that's where I return to, if women and doctors aren't advocating for a women's health care procedure then it's not the politicians place to legislate or find middle ground with negotiation on it.

------

legsdiamond
79824 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 12:31 PM

19. "does local gov or national gov have more of an impact on daily life? "
In response to Reply # 16

you can't look 12 states over into the Midwest and expect them to be just as liberal as you are in Mass.

As long as they are voting with Dems the majority of the time I think you have to overlook a few votes that may not be in line with your views.

Especially when the other party's candidate is 99% against your views.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:16 AM

10. "I'm with this"
In response to Reply # 3

Obviously nobody in the Democrat party has all the answers or the right articulation of the platform, or they wouldn't be losing all these elections.

The question is, do Democrats want to keep losing in the way that they've been losing since the 60s? Do they want to keep "winning" without enough of a mandate to ensure reforms happen and last?

It doesn't seem like enough, and the voters clearly don't think it's enough. So supporting candidates willing to take bolder stances seems natural. It's not about purity tests.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:54 AM

4. "How is ensuring women are informed of their options anti-choice?"
In response to Reply # 0

MEAT
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:57 AM

6. "How is an unnecessary ultrasound a negotiating point?"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Apr-21-17 10:58 AM by MEAT

Did women call for this?
Did doctors call for this?

------

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 04:35 PM

26. "Why should anyone but the pregnant woman decide if it's unnecessary?"
In response to Reply # 6

MEAT
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 05:04 PM

27. "Ask the person that introduced the legislation "
In response to Reply # 26

Fulton introduced the bill, Mello cosponsored.

It was in response to a bill requiring an ultrasound if they want an abortion.

Two men then offered a compromise bill that said, it just requires the physician to tell the patient it's available.

So now we're back to where I started. Did women ask for this, did doctors ask for this?

Once the Republicans staked their claim as being pro ultrasound for non medical reasons the Democrats could've stated that they are firmly against that and for the privacy of the patient, and the freedom to be a doctor. Instead they opted to bargain on women's health.

------

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 07:21 PM

31. "I see zero wrong with making sure she knows it's an option if she wants."
In response to Reply # 27
Fri Apr-21-17 07:23 PM by Jon

You might have an argument if it was the original idea of a requirement, but the compromise is beyond reasonable to the point where it sounds wholly unreasonable to oppose it.

MEAT
22275 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 07:30 PM

32. "It ain't your body or your health. GTFOH"
In response to Reply # 31

------

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 07:53 AM

34. "That fact has nothing to do with ensuring patients are informed."
In response to Reply # 32

MEAT
22275 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 12:22 PM

39. "You're trying to make a case for politicians determining relevant info"
In response to Reply # 34

For women's health.
And you're not successful in your endeavors.

------

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Apr-23-17 06:49 AM

53. "Wrong"
In response to Reply # 39
Sun Apr-23-17 06:52 AM by Jon

An ultrasound is something many women have wanted, including many of those who were seriously leaning towards an abortion. This isn't politicians deciding what information is relevant to women's health, it's them recognizing something that many women said was relevant to them when dealing with an emergency pregnancy...And simply trying to ensure that they know it's available to them, and it's up to them.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49519 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:01 AM

7. "It's troll bait. "
In response to Reply # 4

I see folks fall for it all the time.

For example, a state wants to pass a Blue Lives Matter law which increases the punishment for killing a cop. Progressives fight it because of the Blue Lives Matter framing of the issue and the republicans get to say, "see, progressives hate cops". Better to not give a shit about such a troll bait issue. Let them have the law that only effects people who kill cops.

This is troll bait because it isn't the same as requiring women to have ultrasounds but it kind of sounds and feels like requiring women to have ultrasounds. So people get worked up and fight it and republicans get to argue, "see, dems want to keep available information from women to keep them uninformed when making decisions about abortion."

These issues have more ideology value than they actually affect peoples lives.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 12:52 PM

20. "Yup. its a tactic conservatives have mastered"
In response to Reply # 7

hide behind some phony concern, and put those who disagree on the wrong side of it, and as you said, it works like a charm

they'll say voter ID is necessary to stop voter fraud. and it does sound perfectly reasonable on the surface, but aside from voter fraud being rare as fuck, it has zero to do with their reason behind wanting voter ID laws.

"we just want her to have all available information" is more of that same bullshit. it's hostile

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 04:30 PM

25. "Yeah, but its also genuinely revealing that pro-choice are bothered by i..."
In response to Reply # 7
Fri Apr-21-17 04:30 PM by Jon

IF it's about maximizing a woman's agency, then making sure they are informed of their options should always be a welcome idea. The fact that this would be something we don't want, indicates a greater desire to promote abortion than to empower the woman.

Troll move or not, it only works it it genuinely bothers the other side, which it shouldn't if the pro-choice camp is what they claim to be.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 05:51 PM

29. "the intent of that bill is not to increase a woman's agency"
In response to Reply # 25

the intent is to guilt her into not doing what they don't want her to do

cut the shit

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 07:19 PM

30. "Is it forcing her to get an ultrasound or letting her know she can?"
In response to Reply # 29
Fri Apr-21-17 07:20 PM by Jon

?

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 07:46 PM

33. "nah, dont duck the point, bruh. what's the intent of the bill?"
In response to Reply # 30

if you say it's to increase "agency" you're being dishonest

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 07:55 AM

35. "What did the actual bill do? Avoiding that is the duck."
In response to Reply # 33
Sat Apr-22-17 08:08 AM by Jon

And the intent of the bill was to arrive at a compromise position between two sides, one side who believes you should see who you're thinking of killing before you have them killed, and the other side who believes there is no "who" involved and seeing the fetus could make her change her mind and we don't want that, and you get a perfectly reasonable compromise where an ultrasound is available IF a woman herself wants one. Totally her choice, based on her own personal feelings about it, but the doctor just has to inform her that it's an option.

You judge a compromise proposal on its own merits, not the merits of what you believe the extreme ideal bill would be of some who proposed or supports it. Otherwise, there's absolutely no possible way to ever arrive at any kind of compromise among legislators, and we can't have a functional congress.

If you're against *this* bill, you have to argue on *this* bill's merits, not debate what you think are the inner deep fantasies of the people involved might be.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 09:32 AM

38. "you're not understanding both sides"
In response to Reply # 35

the other side isn't about there not being a "who"

the other side is about "women choosing to get abortions are capable of making their own decisions. there are already enough factors shaming, intimidating, gaslighting, and just plain making things difficult for these women. we don't need to legislate more."

if mandating shit like this is a priority for you instead of fixing healthcare and equality for everyone, you're not about compromising.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 05:04 PM

44. "You're making things up now"
In response to Reply # 38
Sat Apr-22-17 05:05 PM by Jon

>if mandating shit like this is a priority for you instead of
>fixing healthcare and equality for everyone, you're not about
>compromising.
:
Mandating what? The only mandate is that women are informed by a doctor that they have the option to get one, and honestly, most regular everyday people really don't know their options inside and out, so making sure they know it's available to them is benign as fuck. There's no mandate to have one. Just to tell them they can if they want.

Furthermore, you're taking a giant erroneous leap to presume that this would be my priority over fixing healthcare for everyone, and my own priorities we're never discussed here. I vote almost exclusively for pro-choice candidates even though I mostly disagree with them on this issue, exactly because I see many other things as priority. Put your strawman collection away.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 09:06 PM

48. "being obtuse"
In response to Reply # 44

it is a mandate. it requires doctors to do a thing. it assumes doctors and women need to be told what to do.

the "you" i was referring to is the candidates who supposedly are about compromise, but really are risk-averse.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Apr-23-17 06:44 AM

51. "It's not assuming women need to be told what to do"
In response to Reply # 48

As it's not mandating to tell women what to do

It's only rightly assuming that not every woman who walks into a clinic during an emergency pregnancy knows what options are available to her.

And in no way whatsoever is it hurting anybody to simply let her know an ultrasound is available if she wants one, even if she happens to already know that.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 04:32 PM

43. "nah. hiding behind "we're just trying to help" is the duck."
In response to Reply # 35
Sat Apr-22-17 04:50 PM by Mynoriti

the goal of both a forced ultrasound, and a doctor being forced to "tell her about the option" is to discourage abortion by making her feel shitty. being less dickish about it doesn't change what it is.

this isn't complicated.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49519 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 09:03 AM

36. "This that bullshit. You care more about the intent than the practical"
In response to Reply # 33

impact of the bill. That just seems ass backwards to me.

In my mind there is a huge difference between letting women know they have the option to get an ultrasound and forcing them to have one.

>if you say it's to increase "agency" you're being dishonest

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 01:38 PM

42. "is a woman somehow not allowed to get an ultrasound without the bill?"
In response to Reply # 36
Sat Apr-22-17 01:59 PM by Mynoriti

it may not be a huge thing, but pretending this has anything to do with wanting to help a woman to make an informed decision is disingenuous. there's only one reason for this bill to exist.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 05:06 PM

45. "Is it possible a young woman might not know one is available?"
In response to Reply # 42

Mynoriti
Charter member
38829 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 05:37 PM

46. "so we're still pretending that's the goal of the bill, huh?"
In response to Reply # 45

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 09:09 PM

49. "lol, the goal is reproductive health awareness/education for young women..."

with these guys? red-state state legislatures?

lmfao.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Apr-23-17 06:46 AM

52. "Damn, just having her know she can get an ultrasound bothers y'all huh?"

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Apr-23-17 09:26 AM

54. "again, if the goal was transparency/education/awareness"
In response to Reply # 52
Sun Apr-23-17 09:46 AM by rob

why not start there?

what does sex education look like in schools?
how much do ultrasounds costs in the u.s. versus the rest of the world?
how about the costs of the entire pregnancy and birth?
how available is healthcare to women in rural america?
is it becoming more or less available because of recent legislation?
how long do women get to stay in the hospital?
how about maternity/paternity leave?

look, i know you've been consistently obtuse on this, but this is not about the option of the ultrasound. this is about making life difficult for people even though they have a constitutionally protected right. moralizing on other issues would be considered a huge, ridiculous burden.

do we suggest people kill a cow or watch a slaughter to eat a hamburger?
do we suggest people watch psas from porn stars' disapproving relatives before videos play?
do we suggest people put on a fat suit before ordering a soda?
do we suggest people enlist in the army before voting for a war hawk?
do we suggest people participate in public funerals for all the civilians killed in drone strikes?
do we suggest people evict poor people personally to move into a gentrifying neighborhood?
do we suggest people strangle a turtle every time you throw away plastic?
do we suggest people see pictures of dead toddlers before buying a gun?

i mean what's the harm in all that if you still get to make your choice afterwards?

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Apr-23-17 12:06 PM

55. "Deflecting"
In response to Reply # 54

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49519 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 10:56 AM

5. "I had a more incendiary post title for this very topic. "
In response to Reply # 0

Which was, "what issues should Dem's deprioritize in order to win elections?"

legsdiamond
79824 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:21 AM

12. "https://youtu.be/phno9K6fdlI?t=2m7s"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/phno9K6fdlI?t=2m7s

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 11:48 AM

15. "Exactly. They need to get their Al Davis on"
In response to Reply # 12

Just win baby!

How do you look taking the moral high ground when the end result is even further away from your morals?

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 12:54 PM

21. "they are the worst branders and marketers anywhere"
In response to Reply # 0

Conservatives will always have an intrinsic advantage because they manipulate people's fears, usually false fears that don't have a basis in reality. There is always an other, a boogeyman, someone coming to get you if we don't stop them.

The democrats should have been driving home a message of fear for the last 40 years: Fear of Conservatives and how they are the ones responsible for oppressing and profiteering off the working class and poor. It's an uphill battle in a racist country which makes it even more important to have a consistent message for years and years and years.

Republicans script their shit like "Remember The Titans", Democrats barely have a script, it's more like a boring powerpoint no one wants to sit through.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15895 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 02:48 PM

22. "Democrats push the message of fairness, justice, hope...."
In response to Reply # 21

Next time around, it needs to be about CARNAGE.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32710 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 03:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "Conservatives took L after L in the Culture Wars and it made them "
In response to Reply # 21
Fri Apr-21-17 03:02 PM by Teknontheou

sharpen their skills and come up with tactics that work well. So they basically lost all of those battles, but now they know how to fight a bigger machine. When that's the position you're in, it's only a matter of time before the winds blow favorably and you start getting a bunch of W's yourself.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32710 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 02:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "The Democrats don't feel "behind" because they control Academia and"
In response to Reply # 0

they are the face of the media and Hollywood, plus they control local governments in all the big cities. So everywhere that Democrats and liberals go or spend time and everything they watch or read, it all reflects them and their values and worldview. The temptation is to say "we're in control, we shouldn't have to alter anything about ourselves!" The problem is that's inaccurate, as evidenced by all the political control the Republicans have won since Obama became president.

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Fri Apr-21-17 05:24 PM

28. "We're fracturing exactly like the Republicans did."
In response to Reply # 0

People get so deep into their bubbles that they don't realize that that's where they are. They actually start believing their wishful thinking about the state of the nation, and expect to get more progress on their issues than could have ever been possible.

These Republicans are tripping over the simplest things because they can't control their base, and we can't capitalize on it because we're doing the exact same thing.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49519 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 09:04 AM

37. "I wonder, should Dems just cede places like Utah to republicans"
In response to Reply # 0

forever, or get behind a candidate who might not be pro-choice?

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 12:28 PM

40. "I wonder, should Dems just cede places like Alabama to republicans"
In response to Reply # 37

forever, or get behind a candidate who might not be pro-integration?

LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 08:23 PM

47. "NIGGA YOU JUST DESCRIBED TO WHOLE GOP MO.."
In response to Reply # 0

win at any cost....oh we hate trump but he'll help us win...screwfamily values, the constitution...yadda yadda yadda...

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sat Apr-22-17 09:11 PM

50. "they ain't learned shit from the last year or fifty years. "
In response to Reply # 47

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5210 posts
Mon Apr-24-17 07:40 PM

56. "More Bluedog democrats"
In response to Reply # 0

that sounds like a good plan that will not work.

---------------------------
Signature

Lobby General Discussion topic #13147757 Previous topic | Next topic