Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13144689

Subject: "legally blind witness: cops told me what to say" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Fri Apr-14-17 09:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"legally blind witness: cops told me what to say"
Fri Apr-14-17 09:51 AM by legsdiamond

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/04/13/man-convicted-in-1989-of-portland-could-be-freed-on-bail/

Man convicted of 1989 Portland murder granted bail after star witness recants

In court Thursday, Cady recanted the damning testimony she gave 25 years ago that identified Sanborn as Briggs’ killer and said she was instructed by detectives on how to testify. Cady had been identified as the only eyewitness to the crime. No physical evidence connected Sanborn to the scene, and the state’s case was entirely circumstantial.

Cady, who was 13 at the time of Briggs’ murder, was also legally blind when she claimed to have seen Sanborn commit the crime at the end of a dimly lit pier, but her vision problem was not disclosed to Sanborn’s defense team.

Cady said she was questioned at length at least 10 times by Portland police detectives James Daniels and Daniel Young, and that they threatened her with incarceration if she did not cooperate.

“They basically told me what to say,” said Cady, who now lives in Augusta. Cady said the detectives frightened her and suggested they would press charges in unrelated assaults and have her locked up for years if she didn’t testify as they instructed.

How and the fuck does a legally blind witness put you in jail? smh...

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
A terrible defense attorney HAD to play a big part in this
Apr 14th 2017
quadrifocals
Apr 14th 2017
Should have hired my cousin Vinny
Apr 14th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Fri Apr-14-17 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "A terrible defense attorney HAD to play a big part in this"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-14-17 11:03 AM by flipnile

>How and the fuck does a legally blind witness put you in jail?
>smh...

Either that, or it was something bigger than dude (political?), and someone was set on him going down for this.

But yeah, one would think that's something that your defense attorney would figure out and make use of. I wonder if he had the dreaded appointed attorney because he couldn't afford one.

She probably came to court looking like this too:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3173/3287381091_10634ea553_z.jpg?zz=1

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Fri Apr-14-17 12:08 PM

2. "quadrifocals"
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Apr-14-17 12:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Should have hired my cousin Vinny"
In response to Reply # 1

Lobby General Discussion topic #13144689 Previous topic | Next topic