Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13144303

Subject: "Talk to your boy about home alarm systems." Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talk to your boy about home alarm systems."

You got one? Who with? What features? I've been thinking about one a lot lately. Not so much for burglars, although I know that can go down anywhere...no matter how nice your neighborhood is, but for fire alerts. Like...there's no one at my house between 8:30a and about 3p. If the house caught on fire, by the time one of my neighbors would notice, the house would be lost and our dog would be dead. I mean, yeah, we have homeowners insurance...but all that comes with losing a home, plus it can't pay for our dog. So, I want one of those jawns where you have a wired-in smoke alarm and it notifies some dude in khakis back at the command center and they can get a hold of the fire dept...which is literally around the corner from our house. Talk to me. Anyone have any experience with SimpliSafe? You order the package you want, set it all up yourself and then pick which monitoring plan you want. Seems simple (no pun intended) enough. No wiring or anything. We're gonna be in Gulf Shores for a week, in June...trying to have something up and running by then.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We have ADT because we're lazy
Apr 13th 2017
I've been wondering about simplisafe too.
Apr 13th 2017
Nope!!!! Snitches get stitches.
Apr 13th 2017
They can subpoena the Alexa tapes?
Apr 13th 2017
      yup.
Apr 13th 2017
my poor parents...
Apr 13th 2017
Simpli Safe is cool
Apr 13th 2017
Nope. We have a system and a sign but it's not hooked up
Apr 13th 2017
First, list your security priorities, needs and wants.
Apr 13th 2017
Just get one of those ADT yard signs
Apr 13th 2017
How many of you have dealt with a break in?
Apr 13th 2017

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We have ADT because we're lazy"
In response to Reply # 0

They are prompt as shit when you accidentally hit that panic button.

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I've been wondering about simplisafe too."
In response to Reply # 0

I want to replace what we currently have to get something more up to date.

are there any competitors that are cheaper than simplisafe?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 10:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Nope!!!! Snitches get stitches."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-13-17 11:12 AM by HotThyng76

Ever since I learned that all of those Alexa type home control things record audio on a continual basis and that the audio can be subpoenaed in criminal court proceedings I have not had any interest in having any of that shit in my house. Fuck. That. I don't know what's going to happen in my house that might result in a criminal case and I don't want to have a thing in my house gathering evidence for the prosecution. Naw. Never. Nope.

As for home security systems - my parents have one and I visited once when they left it on and I either forgot the passcode or they didn't give it to me. The fucking thing went off making all kinds of noise. The thing called the house then called the fucking police. My parents were at church and not answering their phones. My last name is not the same as theirs and I had an out of state ID. So I couldn't prove I might have belonged there. Nevermind that my pictures are all over the house. The security thing called my aunties since it couldn't reach my parents and they too were in church and answering. So I sat there with the police until finally my homie called the church office and had my ppl paged and finally it worked out. But I was too close to being taken into custody by the St Louis County Police all bc of that fucking alarm. Now the folks turn it off when I visit.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "They can subpoena the Alexa tapes?"
In response to Reply # 3

I wonder how long a record Amazon keeps?
It doesn't seem feasible for them to store hours of recordings from every device out there.

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:54 AM

11. "yup."
In response to Reply # 7

https://www.wired.com/2017/02/murder-case-tests-alexas-devotion-privacy/

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:05 AM

4. "my poor parents..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure who they got to install the alarm but it just a matter of cutting an exposed wire and the whole thing is disabled

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:07 AM

5. "Simpli Safe is cool"
In response to Reply # 0

I use it in an unoccupied place I have in a different city. They have a fire detector too. The best part is that it's fully customization and you can do it all yourself.

I'm eyeing one of those Ring video doorbells, and a electronic keypad front door lock. Anyone use those?

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:19 AM

6. "Nope. We have a system and a sign but it's not hooked up"
In response to Reply # 0

Real talk... my boy got his shit ran through but they new where the stash was so it's not like he could call the cops.

Told me he couldn't afford an alarm system

I told him to go get a sign and a sticker.

Seriously, how many people are gonna take a chance when you have a sign in the yard?

My keypad is still lit up too so it appears on and it's right by the front door so you can see it through the window.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:21 AM

8. "First, list your security priorities, needs and wants. "
In response to Reply # 0

I’d avoid SimpliSafe. From what I've read that system is vulnerable to relatively simple hacks. Naturally you'd need someone with the skills and determination, so who knows.

For starters, if you want cameras, don’t waste your time or money with anything less than HD. It’s generally cheaper to simply cop your own system through Sam’s Club or Amazon or whatever, but you need to be able to install that yourself as well as monitor yourself, but to my knowledge many of these will have an app that alerts you when there’s activity so that shouldn’t be an issue.

After that? Most of these companies generally offer a similar product. Ultimately it’s all about price and monitoring. Just make sure you hit the basics: glass break sensors, a well-placed motion for each room, and door/window sensors where necessary. With the glass-break and motion sensors it’s not necessary to put a sensor directly on every door or window so if they try to sale you on every entry point just be firm.

Personally I'd recommend Vivint IF you have the cash and/or credit and don’t mind spending some time checking up on your phone here and there to see what’s going on.

It might seem like they’re pushing a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles but if you’re serious about home security they’ve got a nice array of options that seem to outshine everyone else as a whole.

One option I liked was remote garage control. Say you’re having a package delivered, you set a note with fedex or whoever to call you when they arrive. You got the cam setup, you open the garage from your smart phone, and the fedex guy puts your package in your garage and leaves. You close the door remotely from your phone and your straight.

They also offer smart locks. From my research last year, I remember their panel offering much more extensive control options.

The downside is that for the breadth of tech offerings they were a little shifty on the subject of monitoring I got a little bit of double talk whereas ADT was like NAH SON, THAT BELL RINGS AND WE’RE ON IT!

Again, this was about 7-8 months ago so I’m working from memory. I remember ADT being a little behind on the technology front and spent a little too much time selling me on their stellar reputation as opposed to the quality of what they actually had to offer.
I used to sell ADT systems door to door so I knew all the little sales techniques and had to shut down the ADT reps for hitting me too hard with sale speak.

My advice is to figure out what you know you want in terms of both monitoring and tech and just shop for the best rate for what you want.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:25 AM

9. "Just get one of those ADT yard signs"
In response to Reply # 0

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Thu Apr-13-17 11:32 AM

10. "How many of you have dealt with a break in? "
In response to Reply # 0

I know it happens and it has to feel sick to know someone was all up in your spot.

But at he same time, it's seems like it rarely happens unless you have shady friends or deal in illegal activity.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13144303 Previous topic | Next topic