Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13142577

Subject: "Ferguson stays in the sunken place. mayor reelected on ~20% voter turnou..." Previous topic | Next topic
Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Ferguson stays in the sunken place. mayor reelected on ~20% voter turnou..."

White gop mayor of 70% black town

If u need a get out the vote campaign drive in Ferguson of all places, should I assume either it ain't that bad or those negroes too far gone?

And the st Louis mayors race was 5 blk dudes stubbornly staying in the race till the end, and splitting the dem vote to ensure they all lost. Nice work gang

https://drjasonjohnson.com/2017/04/05/ferguson-stays-in-the-sunken-place-re-elects-failed-mayor/

On Tuesday night, James K. Knowles—the inept, whitesplaining, cop-coddling, Mike Brown-denigrating mayor of Ferguson, Mo.—was re-elected. He beat out Ella Jones, a black woman and member of the City Council, by fewer than 500 votes. This is just a few weeks after Tishaura Jones, the city treasurer, lost her bid to be St. Louis mayor by a mere 888 votes.

Ferguson mayor’s race:

Ella Jones: 1,467 votes 43.7 percent

James W. Knowles III: 1,889 votes 56.3 percent

With 100 percent of precincts voting, a total of 3,356 people voted. There are no reports of massive voter intimidation, fraud or ballot-stealing. The people in Ferguson either don’t know, don’t show or don’t care about who runs their city. What’s worse is that given the disproportionate number of African-American voters in Ferguson, even if every white person voted for James Knowles, he still probably got about 40 percent of the black vote in order to win.
“‘Well, the black person won’t be any different than a white person in office so why should I care?’” is the mentality of many of the black voters in Ferguson, according to Maria Chappelle-Nadal, a Democratic state senator whose district encompasses the city. While she did not endorse anyone in the Ferguson mayor’s race, she says that Knowles’ victory boils down to local constituent service.

“Yeah, people didn’t like how he handled Ferguson, but he helped get that 100-year-old tree moved from their backyard, or got them a waiver to build something on their house,” Chappelle-Nadal said.

Chappelle-Nadal argues that despite the oppressive violence and white supremacy that is apparent in Ferguson, the black community needs to come up with a better candidate strategy. Poverty, environmental justice and a living wage need to be integrated into messaging about police reform.

More-

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/05/us/ferguson-mayor-race.html?_r=0&referer=https://t.co/w8TVcF9cJb

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
they all got nosebleeds
Apr 07th 2017
the STL area has seen its share of shady Black politicians.
Apr 07th 2017
Spot on abt Black folks....same thing here in Bmore
Apr 07th 2017
trump/hillary 2016 logic spotted in the distance,
Apr 07th 2017
      You see it
Apr 07th 2017
      cabinet?
Apr 07th 2017
smh.. this is pitiful
Apr 07th 2017
^^^
Apr 07th 2017
i think 1 woman and 4 dudes
Apr 07th 2017
conditioning?
Apr 07th 2017
It must be the ego.
Apr 07th 2017
How long was voting open?
Apr 07th 2017
bingo hours
Apr 07th 2017
lol
Apr 09th 2017
This part:
Apr 09th 2017
I can't Feel Sorry for these folks anymore. I do, but I don't..
Apr 07th 2017
Not surprised
Apr 07th 2017
And people had the nerve to ask me why I wasn't protesting in Ferguson.....
Apr 07th 2017
Not a good thing
Apr 08th 2017
There's a reason why asians hardly participate in the farce of elections...
Apr 08th 2017
They're used to living in dictatorships, namely their native countries
Apr 08th 2017
Voting your way out of oppression has happened where?
Apr 08th 2017
^Trump2020 supporter. Voting has benefited &enabled oppressors, where?
Apr 08th 2017
      Venezuela?
Apr 08th 2017
      Stop with the hyperbole
Apr 09th 2017
'sunken place' is such an awesome new terminology.
Apr 09th 2017

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "they all got nosebleeds"
In response to Reply # 0

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 02:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the STL area has seen its share of shady Black politicians."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-07-17 02:19 PM by HotThyng76

like Carl Officer over in East St Louis. he was a Black mayor who oversaw the city's downfall to the point where trash wasn't picked up for years.

and the city of STL has had Black mayors and that city is still a mess in decline (though there are some brightening spots, i guess).

i don't know who that woman running for mayor from the City Council is but in that article i saw a 'complaint' about her - 'Some questioned whether she had accomplished anything in her two years on the City Council....'

it's not as simple as just putting Black folks in office. they gotta be the RIGHT Black folks.

add to that the number of folks in Ferguson who may not have been able to vote due to felony convictions.

i dunno. maybe the devil they know is more comfortable. i can't call it.

anyway, i say the same thing about fixing police - it's not as simple as just hiring more Black officers. b/c we all know how some Black officers act. they can be just as bad or worse than officers who aren't Black. the problem is with police culture. maybe it's like that for the Ferguson voters - maybe they think the change that's needed is som'n beyond just putting a Black face on the same ol' bullshit.

*shrug*

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Spot on abt Black folks....same thing here in Bmore"
In response to Reply # 2

>>>it's not as simple as just putting Black folks in office. they gotta be the RIGHT Black folks.

add to that the number of folks in Ferguson who may not have been able to vote due to felony convictions.

ESPECIALLY THIS PART>>>>
i dunno. maybe the devil they know is more comfortable. i can't call it.

anyway, i say the same thing about fixing police - it's not as simple as just hiring more Black officers. b/c we all know how some Black officers act. they can be just as bad or worse than officers who aren't Black. the problem is with police culture. maybe it's like that for the Ferguson voters - maybe they think the change that's needed is som'n beyond just putting a Black face on the same ol' bullshit

=======================================
Coolin...

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "trump/hillary 2016 logic spotted in the distance,"
In response to Reply # 2

"shes just as bad", voting dont get us nowhere, etc

yea she's plenty bad, but there's 100 other positions, advisors, appointments, etc that come along with the role. im sure some of the ppl in this prospective mayor's cabinet would be helpful, at least moreso than leaving things to the ppl who actively working against your interest

seems the thinking is, if theres no miracle cure-all, forget trying any other treatment

theres no disagreement that just choosing blk mayors, cops, judges are gonna solve all the problems

maybe the lesson should be that politicans wont/cant solve the problem period

but why vote, (by not voting), to add to the problems
or maintain status quo

idunno

maybe dems/DNC just trash and finding &cultivating good candidates & campaigns

>
>and the city of STL has had Black mayors and that city is
>still a mess in decline (though there are some brightening
>spots, i guess).
>
>i don't know who that woman running for mayor from the City
>Council is but in that article i saw a 'complaint' about her -
>'Some questioned whether she had accomplished anything in her
>two years on the City Council....'
>
>it's not as simple as just putting Black folks in office.
>they gotta be the RIGHT Black folks.
>
>add to that the number of folks in Ferguson who may not have
>been able to vote due to felony convictions.
>
>i dunno. maybe the devil they know is more comfortable. i
>can't call it.
>
>anyway, i say the same thing about fixing police - it's not as
>simple as just hiring more Black officers. b/c we all know
>how some Black officers act. they can be just as bad or worse
>than officers who aren't Black. the problem is with police
>culture. maybe it's like that for the Ferguson voters - maybe
>they think the change that's needed is som'n beyond just
>putting a Black face on the same ol' bullshit.
>
>*shrug*

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 03:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "You see it"
In response to Reply # 9

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

HotThyng76
Charter member
51232 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 04:26 PM

12. "cabinet?"
In response to Reply # 9

we're talking about the mayoral position in a small suburb in North STL County, not POTUS.

i don't know why the ppl voted for the same mayor again - perhaps they determined that the mayor wasn't the problem or that choosing a new mayor wouldn't solve the problems or that the Black woman running for mayor wasn't the solution to the problems. i dunno.

but i can't necessarily agree w/the tone of the article i read claiming that the ppl of Ferguson wasted their chance to elect a Black mayor - as if electing a Black mayor is THE solution to the problems in Ferguson that were highlighted by Mike Brown's murder. i can't agree that electing a Black mayor or even THAT particular Black mayor was THE fix and the ppl squandered a great opportunity. the article didn't tell me anything about that woman except that she's Black. LOL

i guess b/c i'm from the area (i grew up in a town that borders Ferguson) and i have ppl there i don't assume the voters are numbskulls and that i know more about what's best for them than they do. i give them the benefit of doubt, i guess. i think the writer of that article might be caught up in looking down on the ppl of Ferguson b/c they live in a 'small town' in 'flyover country'. it smacked of elitism, in other words. but then again my 'defense' of the Ferguson voters isn't particularly fervent - i keep saying i don't know but i guess i don't struggle as much as the article writer to figure out why those ppl might have made the choice they did.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 02:29 PM

3. "smh.. this is pitiful"
In response to Reply # 0

5 black candidates?

I wonder how many of them were paid to stay in the race to split the vote.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 02:32 PM

4. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 3

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Riot
14614 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 03:08 PM

7. "i think 1 woman and 4 dudes"
In response to Reply # 3

some of them were polling at like 5%

and that 5% was bigger than the margin they all lost by

ie if just one would have dropped out, their "side" would have won

big picture thinking

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 03:45 PM

10. "conditioning?"
In response to Reply # 7

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 04:54 PM

13. "It must be the ego. "
In response to Reply # 3

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

abcdmetrius
Member since Oct 31st 2005
2180 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 02:33 PM

5. "How long was voting open?"
In response to Reply # 0

And wasn't Ferguson also notorious for a warrant per household?

So inability to take off from work coupled with fear of going to official places with cops could be a factor.

It's a bad look, but I'm not gonna shit on a populace that's been beaten down, left behind, and forgotten. Particularly when there are more questions to be asked.

-----

I really need to figure out my password.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 03:11 PM

8. "bingo hours"
In response to Reply # 5

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sun Apr-09-17 06:34 AM

26. "lol"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun Apr-09-17 06:35 AM by denny

Not sure if you intended this....but there's truth to that.

I didn't vote when I was at my poorest. And it'd be a lie to say 'I was just trying to survive so I didn't have time to vote'. I certainly had time to indulge my vices (not bingo lol). I think when I was really stressed for money....i just felt 'fuck them'. That stuff didn't have anything to do with what I'm trying to handle. And I wasn't convinced that I could 'shape my world'. The world was being dictated to me. People don't feel motivated to vote when they don't feel a sense of autonomy. And the statistics are pretty clear that income and voter turnout are correlated.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Sun Apr-09-17 06:23 AM

25. "This part:"
In response to Reply # 5

>And wasn't Ferguson also notorious for a warrant per
>household?

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 06:00 PM

14. "I can't Feel Sorry for these folks anymore. I do, but I don't.. "
In response to Reply # 0

Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray! Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 06:27 PM

15. "Not surprised "
In response to Reply # 0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Fri Apr-07-17 09:16 PM

16. "And people had the nerve to ask me why I wasn't protesting in Ferguson....."
In response to Reply # 0

that's why lol

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5188 posts
Sat Apr-08-17 10:01 AM

18. "Not a good thing"
In response to Reply # 16

to be proud of

---------------------------
Signature

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Sat Apr-08-17 09:47 AM

17. "There's a reason why asians hardly participate in the farce of elections..."
In response to Reply # 0

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Sat Apr-08-17 01:50 PM

21. "They're used to living in dictatorships, namely their native countries"
In response to Reply # 17

that they fled.

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sat Apr-08-17 10:18 AM

19. "Voting your way out of oppression has happened where?"
In response to Reply # 0

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Riot
14614 posts
Sat Apr-08-17 11:45 AM

20. "^Trump2020 supporter. Voting has benefited &enabled oppressors, where? "
In response to Reply # 19

Why would u choose to not restrict the power of those who attack you?

Why would the oppressors go thru gerrymandering, poll tax, grandfather clause, voter ID challenges if votes and the power to make laws are meaningless?

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/

Shaun Tha Don
18289 posts
Sat Apr-08-17 01:55 PM

22. "Venezuela? "
In response to Reply # 20

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Sun Apr-09-17 01:19 AM

23. "Stop with the hyperbole"
In response to Reply # 20

People do what you allow them to do to you.

Black folks agree to the political "ideals" of a slimy, fake, fraudulent and criminal system.

Black people will never get political power via voting.

All those tactics just expose how much the same political system that gave Black folk the right to vote will undermine it.

We also know that money dictates politics so.....

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sun Apr-09-17 03:04 AM

24. "'sunken place' is such an awesome new terminology."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-09-17 03:20 AM by denny

I saw the movie a second time. It should get oscar nominations. It will be more relevant and talked about in twenty years than whatever wins best picture. Book it.

In anycase....the only years of my life I didn't vote are also the years I was most poor. I don't want to over-simplify and say 'I was too busy just surviving that I didn't have TIME to vote'. I certainly had time to indulge my vices. I honestly think that there was a sort of resentment for those institutions when I was stressed about money. I didn't feel compelled to vote. And I can't explain why...but also a felling that I was compelled to NOT vote. Cause fuck them.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13142577 Previous topic | Next topic