Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13130533

Subject: "Graffiti on Howard University Campus After Trump Meeting" Previous topic | Next topic
Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10118 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 06:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Graffiti on Howard University Campus After Trump Meeting"

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Graffiti-on-Howard-University-Campus-After-Trump-Meeting-415047843.html

Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017 | Updated 10:35 PM EST

Photo Credit: Rachel Kurzius, DCist
Hours after the president of Howard University met with President Donald Trump on Monday, graffiti appeared on campus.
Someone wrote, “Welcome to Trump's Plantation. Overseer Wayne A.I. Frederick” Frederick is Howard University's president.

Trump signed an executive order Tuesday, moving the federal initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities from the Department of Education to the White House. It's intended to strengthen the finances of HBCU but doesn't specify any new federal funding.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
damn
Mar 01st 2017
I don't understand, are we supposed to be outraged?
Mar 01st 2017
what don't you understand?
Mar 01st 2017
      Yeah, me too. I don't understand why it's newsworthy.
Mar 01st 2017
           gotcha
Mar 01st 2017
obviously created by some woke kids
Mar 01st 2017
yep
Mar 01st 2017
I struggle with how easily pimped we are as a people
Mar 01st 2017
it's the saddest and most sickening part imo
Mar 01st 2017
They didn't even get a check! If they got a check id understand it!
Mar 01st 2017
plus Howard has been given alot of money
Mar 01st 2017
I don't think they were even supposed to go to the Oval Office though
Mar 01st 2017
      Straight Okey-Doke. Here's Dr. Kimbrough's (Dillard University) response...
Mar 01st 2017
The Executive Order is out. Just more of the same.
Mar 01st 2017

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:48 AM

2. "I don't understand, are we supposed to be outraged? "
In response to Reply # 0

At least they didn't call it Racist Graffiti.

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:03 AM

4. "what don't you understand?"
In response to Reply # 2

maybe i have it wrong, but i assume a student did the graffiti in response to the president's meeting with 45*.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 02:38 PM

13. "Yeah, me too. I don't understand why it's newsworthy. "
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Mar-01-17 02:39 PM by FLUIDJ

IT's like....Cool Story Bro.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 02:54 PM

14. "gotcha"
In response to Reply # 13

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:00 AM

3. "obviously created by some woke kids"
In response to Reply # 0

=======================================
Coolin...

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:33 AM

7. "yep"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed Mar-01-17 10:35 AM by Crash Bandacoot

can't say that I necessarily disagree with the message either. plus, that surrounding
area has really changed things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There is much temptation to use what has worked before,
even when it may exceed its effective scope."

"Roll me further bitch"

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I struggle with how easily pimped we are as a people"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-01-17 10:24 AM by BigReg

Like, I GET IT.

Black people are good photo-op currency. While America HATE us, they love trotting us in front of the camera, talk about how they cured racism, and who in white america hasn't felt the tug of giving some pennies a day (c) to feed a poor little darkie in Africa because of those commercials.

But goddammit man, get some shit on paper first. This whole, 'Imma talk to him, and he told me we dont need paperwork, he promised me the cash!' would NOT slide in real life with your white boss or even your homie.

All these niggas meeting with him, Omarosa supposedly writing an HBCU bill, etc...we've got nada. That motherfucker wrote a thousand and one executive orders and the only time he gave us any lip service was when he's threatened to send in the army, not jobs, to round up negros in Chicago.

And what gets me is the old heads and smart dumb niggas are like, 'We gotta talk. He's giving us a seat at the table'. When MLK would pop in to talk to President Johnson it wasn't for a photo op or a seat at the table. It was for, 'You better put pressure on your people or imma put pressure on my people, ya dig'.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:29 AM

6. "it's the saddest and most sickening part imo"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Mar-01-17 10:32 AM by ambient1

>>And what gets me is the old heads and smart dumb niggas are like, 'We gotta talk. He's giving us a seat at the table'.

niggas keep thinking a check gonna solve shit

we lack foresight and strategy....and it hurts

but I am loving how we exposing the frauds...shoutout to Van Jones

=======================================
Coolin...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "They didn't even get a check! If they got a check id understand it!"
In response to Reply # 6

>>>And what gets me is the old heads and smart dumb niggas are
>like, 'We gotta talk. He's giving us a seat at the table'.
>
>
>niggas keep thinking a check gonna solve shit

On some, "Fuck it, we got this 100 mil fed. endowment from this cracker, at least its gonna make sure we can keep the lights on for the next 8 years"

All that shuck and jiving for nada! So he can give a stock answer when he's asked about what he's doing for black folks

Crash Bandacoot
10118 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:40 AM

8. "plus Howard has been given alot of money"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed Mar-01-17 10:40 AM by Crash Bandacoot

from the government, corps, tuition, alumni, etc. back when i was there, the
administration squandered the money, it was a big deal... huge protests. the
president rode around in a bentley, meanwhile no air in the dorm lol. and the past
few years, i've noticed that Howard has sold off alot of their property to make room
for gentrification. we do it to ourselves sometimes.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22256 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:46 AM

10. "I don't think they were even supposed to go to the Oval Office though "
In response to Reply # 5

Reports of the meeting was that they were called for a round table, not even with him, but with Devos; and then once there they were called up to essentially give 1 minute elevator speeches and a photo-op.

I don't think this one was on them.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Cornbread
Member since Jul 21st 2006
1150 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 01:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Straight Okey-Doke. Here's Dr. Kimbrough's (Dillard University) response..."
In response to Reply # 10

https://medium.com/@HipHopPrez/my-statement-white-house-hbcu-event-bf51a619194a

My Statement: White House HBCU Event

On Friday I learned that I was selected to give remarks today for the meeting at the White House with members of the Trump administration, most notably Secretary Betsy DeVos. We learned this weekend that there would be closing remarks by Vice President Pence, but the goal was for officials from a number of Federal agencies (about 5 were there including OMB) and Secretary DeVos to hear about HBCUs.

That all blew up when the decision was made to take the presidents to the Oval Office to see the President. I’m still processing that entire experience. But needless to say that threw the day off and there was very little listening to HBCU presidents today- we were only given about 2 minutes each, and that was cut to one minute, so only about 7 of maybe 15 or so speakers were given an opportunity today.

So this is what I was going to say today in my 2 minutes. The UNCF will also share my comments. But it is important that I share in advance of Tuesday’s speech by the President because I am discussing specific funding that benefits ALL college students, but especially those at HBCUs.

Statement by Walter M. Kimbrough, President, Dillard University
In his Oscars acceptance speech last night, Mahershala Ali celebrated American’s belief in the transformative power of education when he first thanked his teachers and professors. Historically black colleges and universities are living testimonies of this power, the central force in educating people inextricably linked to the promise of America.

Fifty years ago a philosophy emerged suggesting education was no longer a public good, but a private one. Since then we’ve seen Federal and State divestment in education, making the idea of education as the path to the American dream more of a hallucination for the poor and disenfranchised.

There is no doubt who is left to hallucinate.

In the past decade the wealth gap between whites and blacks has gone from seven to thirteen fold. The median net worth of a single parent white family is twice that of the two parent black family. Black students graduate with 31% more college debt than their white peers.

The Pell Grant should be the equalizer. It serves 36% of all students, 62% of Black students, and over 70% attending HBCUs. But the education as a private good philosophy has severely limited its impact on the neediest families.

Therefore we must:

• Raise the maximum Pell Grant, which has hit a 40-year low in purchasing power relative to college costs and index it permanently to account for inflation

• Restore year-round Pell Grants that enable students to finish college faster and with less debt;

• And remove time limits to benefit growing numbers of part time students who may require more than 12 semesters to graduate.

*America's Favorite*

Cornbread
Member since Jul 21st 2006
1150 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 01:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "The Executive Order is out. Just more of the same."
In response to Reply # 0

There is a symbolic movement of the initiative into the White House but there are no changes in funding.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/03/01/trump-signs-hbcu-executive-order-campus-leaders-meet-congressional-republicans#.WLbIYCgWEu8.twitter

President Trump signed an executive order Tuesday re-establishing the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities and moving the initiative from the Department of Education to the Executive Office of the President.

Despite the serious hype that surrounded the order, including weeks of promising it would go beyond previous administrations' efforts, it offered no other concrete changes from previous orders, such as new funding commitments or contracting requirements by federal agencies. The executive order creates an advisory board (similar to that of past administrations) and also urges federal agencies to consider how they can better work with historically black colleges (as did previous presidential directives).

"It's a very important moment and a moment that means a great deal to me," Trump said.

The signing of the document followed weeks of discussions between White House advisers and advocates of HBCUs and two days of meetings and photo ops with college and university presidents in Washington.

Johnny C. Taylor Jr., president and CEO of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, had sought commitments of specific funding levels from federal grants and contracts to HBCUs. And Taylor asked that the White House HBCU initiative be moved from the Department of Education to the White House. The organization had made both requests of the Obama administration.

Taylor in a statement said that the executive order was “a significant and positive first step” in the working relationship between historically black colleges and the new administration.
"We look forward to working with the executive branch and the legislative branch to ensure the president’s funding requests and the subsequent budget approved by Congress put the necessary resources into black colleges so they can continue doing the important work America needs them to do," Taylor said.

United Negro College Fund President and CEO Michael L. Lomax praised the decision to move the HBCU initiative into the White House but noted the group's funding recommendations were not included.

"Today, the president said he pledges to do more for HBCUs than any other president has done before, and we look forward to partnering with him to ensure this is a reality for the deserving students and faculty of HBCUs," Lomax said.

Trump hosted HBCU presidents in the Oval Office Monday, and on Tuesday they met with congressional Republicans in a daylong conference at the Library of Congress organized by Representative Mark Walker of North Carolina and Senator Tim Scott of South Carolina.

The high-level meetings represented heightened attention for black colleges -- particularly from Republicans. But not everyone saw much substance in the meetings that kicked off the visit to D.C.
Dillard University President Walter Kimbrough in a Medium post said the Oval Office trip scuttled other plans to meet with the heads of several federal agencies in addition to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. That meant “there was very little listening to HBCU presidents,” he said.

Kimbrough said that given more time Monday, he would have emphasized the growing wealth gap between white and black households and the disparity in student loan debt between white and black college graduates. The best way to address those problems is to increase spending on Pell Grants, he said.
That was a common refrain among presidents in attendance at the HBCU “fly-in” hosted by Walker and Scott. And Pell Grants received verbal support, even from House Speaker Paul Ryan, who joined the two organizers for a live Facebook Q&A event.

But few details emerged on where funding for expanding Pell or other HBCU priorities would come from. Speaking with reporters at the event Tuesday, Scott said it was significant that members of the congressional appropriations committees were at the event, including Senator Marco Rubio, a Florida Republican.
“I’m not going to commit to a dollar amount unless it’s a dollar amount that I control,” Scott said.

HBCU leaders have other key funding priorities beyond Pell, including money for infrastructure and work force readiness.
But it’s unclear what impact Trump’s other budgetary plans could have on those goals. The White House said this week that Trump would ask Congress to add $54 billion in military spending, offset by spending cuts at other federal agencies.

Officials have not released any details on what cuts might be proposed for the Department of Education if it is among the affected agencies. DeVos said earlier in February that the department would look to identify unnecessary programs for cuts, prompting questions from Democratic leaders.

The education secretary spoke to HBCU leaders at the Library of Congress one day after sparking a controversy not over spending cuts but due to a statement that cast those institutions as “pioneers of school choice” and ignored the role racism played in their foundation. In her remarks Tuesday, DeVos said the history of HBCUs “was born, not out of mere choice, but out of necessity, in the face of racism, and in the aftermath of the Civil War.” The department did not respond to an inquiry about the anger over the initial statement.

In a less discussed section of her comments Monday, DeVos said institutions must be willing to make tangible, structural reforms rather than focus on questions of funding. But Taylor told reporters that those reforms can’t happen without improved funding for colleges and universities.

Despite the absence of firm commitments from the White House or congressional Republicans, Taylor said he was extremely optimistic about an improved relationship between the Trump administration and historically black colleges.

“This didn’t happen with an African-American president. We never saw that,” Taylor said. “And we didn’t see it before.”
The discussions with the Republicans on Capitol Hill happened against a backdrop of dissatisfaction on HBCU campuses, where many students and faculty members see their presidents being used or -- worse -- collaborating with an administration they see as hostile to their communities. In D.C. Tuesday, spray paint on Howard University’s Yard called campus President Wayne A. I. Frederick the “overseer” of the “Trump plantation.”

Julianne Malveaux, the former president of Bennett College in North Carolina, described herself as a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat with no love for Trump. But HBCU presidents “almost have to be there,” she said of meetings with Trump and Republican elected officials.

“The proof in the pudding is going be the dollars,” she said.
David Johns, the former executive director of the White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for African-Americans under President Obama, said conversations are essential to the policy-making process. But Johns, who has had conversations with Howard students critical of Trump, observed that the executive order came out late Tuesday afternoon, well after the White House's meetings with leaders of minority institutions -- and too late for those leaders to provide any feedback. That sequence of events was off for students who wanted to see what the university was getting for engaging with the administration, he said.

“If the question is, are these meetings -- or more crudely, photo opportunities -- translating into tangible resources for or otherwise advancing the needs of historically black colleges and universities? The answer right now is no,” Johns said.

*America's Favorite*

Lobby General Discussion topic #13130533 Previous topic | Next topic