Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13130531

Subject: "Viola Davis and the imposter syndrome" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 06:44 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Viola Davis and the imposter syndrome"

My psych BA background has been surfacing around here lately.

But, let's be real, how many of y'all are going to admit to people you work with that you feel like an "imposter"?

Well, Viola kind of works for us. We have to buy she is actually "coming off" when she does these performances we spend time and money to watch of hers. Why would we want to pay for some stuff even she doesn't think is good?

But then, this could add dimensions to watching a Viola Davis performance. We can watch now and be like: "is she really 'in character' now, or is this just one of her 'fake out' moments before she does some 'real acting'?"

I'm like that as a musician. Sometimes music is supposed to be a true artistic expression. And sometimes, a musician is just faking it and not really doing anything (but people "think" the musician is actually "expressing" himself or herself).

https://gma.yahoo.com/oscar-winning-actress-viola-davis-says-she-struggles-125904895--abc-news-celebrities.html

Oscar-winning actress Viola Davis says she struggles with 'imposter syndrome'
Good Morning America By ABC NEWS
17 hours ago

Oscar winner Viola Davis, who has also won an Emmy award and a Tony award, told ABC News' Amy Robach that she sometimes feels like she has "imposter syndrome."

"It feels like my hard work has paid off, but at the same time I still have the imposter, you know, syndrome," Davis said in an interview with ABC News backstage at this year's Academy Awards. "I still feel like I'm going to wake up and everybody's going to see me for the hack I am.

"I still feel like when I walk on the set, I'm starting from scratch, until I realize, 'OK, I do know what I'm doing, I'm human,'" Davis added.

The "imposter phenomenon," often referred to as "imposter syndrome," is a term psychologists use to describe when people feel their achievements are undeserved or worry they may be exposed as a fraud, according to a study on the phenomenon published in the International Journal of Behavioral Science.

An estimated 70 percent of people will experience at least one episode of imposter phenomenon in their lives, according to the same study.

The syndrome was initially believed to affect only professional women, but research has revealed that people of both genders and from a wide range of backgrounds can suffer from it.

Another study, published in the Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, suggested that certain ethnic or minority groups, including Asian Americans, may be more likely to feel like an "imposter."

Actress Emma Watson spoke out about "imposter syndrome" in an interview with Vogue UK in 2015. "When I receive recognition for my acting, I feel incredibly uncomfortable," the actress told the magazine. "I tend to turn in on myself, I feel like an imposter."

Davis told Robach that she is beginning to find peace, taking pride in her work and realizing that "self-deprecation is not the answer to humility."

"I know I'm not the best but I'm proud of myself," Davis said. "This is the first year I've allowed myself just a little bit, to see that, to realize that, self-deprecation is not the answer to humility.

"Sometimes you can say, I deserve it, that I'm proud of myself, and move on," Davis said.

Individuals like Davis who suffer from "imposter syndrome" may suffer from symptoms including depression, despair and anxiety, according to Dr. Janet Taylor, a psychiatrist.

Mahershala Ali, Viola Davis and Emma Stone react t …Play videoMahershala Ali, Viola Davis and Emma Stone react to …
"Remember when you feel like you’re going to get caught then you’re always looking behind your shoulder," Taylor said today on "Good Morning America." "You may be isolated so there’s this sense of nervousness and anxiety."

Taylor recommends using self-management tools in order to overcome self-doubt. One tip is to replace the negative voice in your head with the chorus of "yes I can."

"Never allow other people to validate you," Taylor said. "We should feel like if I’m there it’s because I ought to be."

Taylor also said to be mindful and to "claim that space" and "show up."

"When you notice that you’re nervous or anxious, take a deep breath and take in the moment and root yourself in reframing negative to positive," she said.

Poll result (2 votes)
Keeping it real - Emma Watson admitted it too, so it's real (0 votes)Vote
Bad idea - how am I supposed to buy your skills, now? (0 votes)Vote
Doesn't matter either way, she just felt she had it admit it (0 votes)Vote
It's acting, of course actors are going to feel like "imposters" (2 votes)Vote
Humble brag - "I'm so good, y'all can't tell when I'm wack" (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
respectfully, I think you kind of completely got that wrong
Mar 01st 2017
Basically. She's just not one to think too highly of herself. n/a
Mar 01st 2017
do you have a pysch background?
Mar 01st 2017
It's like the you didn't even read the article.
Mar 01st 2017
maybe get a master's degree or doctorate b4 you talk shit, player.
Mar 01st 2017
i dont feel like an imposter anywhere. cause usually im the smartest
Mar 01st 2017
Smartest person in the room would spell "impostor" correctly
Mar 01st 2017
LMAO
Mar 01st 2017
i stand to be corrected
Mar 01st 2017
http://grammarist.com/spelling/imposter-impostor/
Mar 01st 2017
Imposter vs. impostor - Grammarist?
Mar 01st 2017
You late Rev
Mar 01st 2017
you can spell it either way fam.
Mar 01st 2017
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVv0HmVIoc
Mar 01st 2017
Lol
Mar 01st 2017
You sound pleasant to be around
Mar 01st 2017
I can relate to this. Nice to put a name to it!!
Mar 01st 2017
Is this the same as "fake it til you make it?"
Mar 01st 2017
it isnt
Mar 01st 2017

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "respectfully, I think you kind of completely got that wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

in so many words Viola Davis said "People call me one of the best actresses, I've struggled with believing it"

Im fairly respected in my creative field, and I try to deliver good work but I have no ego when people compliment me

they say if you believe the positive comments, you have to believe the negative ones

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Basically. She's just not one to think too highly of herself. n/a"
In response to Reply # 1

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:29 AM

2. "do you have a pysch background? "
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:43 AM

4. "It's like the you didn't even read the article."
In response to Reply # 0

It pretty much destroys your preceding comments.

~
~
~
~
~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "maybe get a master's degree or doctorate b4 you talk shit, player."
In response to Reply # 0

Lol

Anyway, I felt that as an actor. It's quite common in that profession. I feel it as a trial lawyer too.

fuck you.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:32 AM

6. "i dont feel like an imposter anywhere. cause usually im the smartest"
In response to Reply # 0

in the room. or at least one of. not afraid to let it be known either.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:36 AM

7. "Smartest person in the room would spell "impostor" correctly"
In response to Reply # 6

~
~
~
~
~

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:40 AM

8. "LMAO"
In response to Reply # 7

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "i stand to be corrected"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Mar-01-17 09:53 AM by thegodcam

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:43 AM

10. "http://grammarist.com/spelling/imposter-impostor/"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Mar-01-17 09:43 AM by Innocent Criminal

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:44 AM

11. "Imposter vs. impostor - Grammarist?"
In response to Reply # 7

Imposter vs. impostor

The noun referring to one who takes an assumed identity in order to deceive is variously spelled imposter and impostor. Impostor has the edge, and it is the form recommended by most English reference sources, but imposter is not wrong. Not only is it nearly as common as impostor, but it is also nearly as old. Impostor came to English from the French imposteur in the late 16th century,1 and imposter first appeared almost immediately thereafter.2 And though the -or spelling has always been more common, imposter has always been present to some degree.

In fact, imposter is more common than impostor in some areas of English. In a search covering a few dozen of the most popular blogs in the English-speaking world, for instance, the ratio of imposter to impostor is about 6:5. Imposter is also a little more common than impostor in 21st-century Australian and New Zealand news publications that make content available online. The two forms are neck and neck in British and American news publications from this century. Meanwhile, in a Google Books search—which covers millions books, journals, and magazines—limited to 2000 to the present, impostor remains about three times more common than imposter.

If you came here looking for a simple answer, go with impostor, but only because that’s the spelling you’ll find recommended in dictionaries, usage guides, and such, which makes it the safer choice.

Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray! Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14586 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:44 AM

12. "You late Rev"
In response to Reply # 11

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:45 AM

14. "you can spell it either way fam."
In response to Reply # 7

lesson i learned as a spelling bee champ.

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 11:23 AM

19. "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVv0HmVIoc"
In response to Reply # 14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SVv0HmVIoc

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:45 AM

13. "Lol"
In response to Reply # 6

fuck you.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:23 AM

16. "You sound pleasant to be around"
In response to Reply # 6

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:46 AM

15. "I can relate to this. Nice to put a name to it!! "
In response to Reply # 0

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:43 AM

17. "Is this the same as "fake it til you make it?""
In response to Reply # 0

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 11:17 AM

18. "it isnt"
In response to Reply # 17

faking it til you make it is when you're unskilled or not well connected and pretending to be

feeling like an impostor is doubting if you're as good as they say

Lobby General Discussion topic #13130531 Previous topic | Next topic