Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13129685

Subject: "Why are Nate Parker and Casey Affleck being treated differently?(swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why are Nate Parker and Casey Affleck being treated differently?(swipe)"

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-nate-parker-casey-affleck-scandals-20161215-story.html

Commentary Race, privilege and a bad attitude: Why are Nate Parker and Casey Affleck being treated differently?

Tre'vell Anderson Contact Reporter

On the night of the Golden Globes — as he had for many of the awards season trophy ceremonies — actor Casey Affleck bounded onto the stage to accept his award as best lead actor in a drama for his turn in “Manchester by the Sea.” Meanwhile, Nate Parker, the multi-hyphenate lead of the Nat Turner slave revolt flick, “The Birth of a Nation,” wasn’t anywhere to be seen on the show that, 12 months prior, he was considered all but a lock to be a fixture of.

The 2017 awards season was supposed to belong to both Parker and Affleck, as both of their films had stormed out of Sundance a year ago this week to positive reception with glory in their sights.

But the experiences of these two men have been vastly different. In the time since “Manchester” and “Birth’s” Sundance premieres, old cases involving both actors and histories with sexual impropriety came to light.

For Parker, a massive controversy arose surrounding rape allegations from when he was a student at Penn State, nailing his film, and perhaps his entire career, to the moral cross. Affleck, however, remains a projected front-runner for an Oscar nomination on the heels of his Globes win, despite the resurfacing of details of alleged sexual harassment on the set of his 2010 mockumentary, “I’m Still Here.”

In an age where sexual assault has received renewed attention, and the likes of Bill Cosby and Roger Ailes are being forced to face their own allegations of sexual misconduct, what has happened to Parker and what hasn’t happened to Affleck deserves interrogation, if only as a case study of how race, class, access and one’s attitude are inextricably linked. And indeed, the “wrong” combination of these things can spell career suicide.

It must be noted, though, a major difference between the two men’s alleged sexual history: The cases against Affleck were filed in civil court, while the accusations against Parker were filed in criminal court. Although both alleged instances of sexual misconduct might draw ire or concern, the degree of said allegations is legally more serious in Parker’s case. Additionally, the legal foundation of the allegations against Affleck were contractual, having to do with payment and film credit.

Affleck was accused of sexual misconduct and harassment by two women who worked on “I’m Still Here,” producer Amanda White and cinematographer Magdalena Gorka, who cited a number of sexually inappropriate occurrences, both physical and verbal, between them and Affleck. In one instance, Gorka alleged that while she was asleep in a private room Affleck “curled up next to her in the bed wearing only his underwear and a T-shirt. He had his arm around her, was caressing her back, his face was within inches of hers and his breath reeked of alcohol.” When she awoke, Gorka said she demanded he leave, which he did, after a slight protest. At another moment, White claimed Affleck instructed a crew member to take off his pants and show White his penis, despite her objections.

In the face of the sexual claims, which normally would result in a criminal case, each woman, represented by the same lawyer, filed a civil lawsuit to the tune more than $2 million, a week apart from each other. Their points of contention were that their employment contracts were not honored and payment was withheld, which they believed to be in retaliation for their rebuffs, complaints and eventual resignation.

Affleck, as reported by the Los Angeles Times and other outlets at the time, denied the claims. The motion submitted by his lawyers, before Gorka filed her complaint, called White’s allegations “fabricated” and in response to 15 months’ worth of failed attempts to “extort” a better production deal. Affleck, in the motion, doubled down on this assertion, noting that White had accepted the terms of agreement in her employment contract, that he and the production company had complied and, verbally and via email, she expressed “how happy she was to be a part of this project.”

Both suits were settled out of court — a move that is not an admission of guilt — with no details of the settlement, if they be financial or otherwise, made public. Each woman is listed in the film’s credits. A statement from both Affleck’s reps and the women, at the time, said the matter was “resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.”

As for Parker, the criminal case against him alleged rape of a female student while he was a wrestler at Penn State University. The 1999 suit, which did go to trial, resulted in his acquittal in 2001. Parker’s college roommate, Jean McGianni Celestin, who co-wrote “The Birth of a Nation,” was also accused in the assault. Though convicted, Celestin successfully appealed it.

Much ado — mainly in off-the-record industry conversations and the non-mainstream blogosphere — has been made about the reasons for each man’s current fortunes. While much blame has been placed at the foot of white male (and upper-class) privilege — with good reason — the issue is much more complicated than that. The media and Hollywood, and Parker himself, are in part to blame for why Parker may not ever work in movies again and Affleck will sail, seemingly unfazed, untouched and unfettered, into a more fruitful phase of his career.

It is no secret that Affleck knows privilege intimately, consciously or otherwise. The brother and family friend of two of the industry’s most bankable stars, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, Affleck can count those in his corner as more than “just a tight circle of people who have had some success,” as he told Variety. Invariably, they are part of the reason why, following the poor reception of “I’m Still Here,” his career can have a rebound moment. (The film pulled in a paltry $408,983.)

Moreover, he was only cast in “Manchester,” a role originally meant for Damon, after Damon convinced writer-director Kenneth Lonergan that Affleck was the best, and only, person he trusted to take his place. (Though, clearly Affleck’s Oscar nomination for his supporting role in 2007’s “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” didn’t hurt. Neither did his award-winning role as a morally challenged Boston detective in “Gone Baby Gone,” directed by his brother.)

Contrarily, to most people, Parker was simply a working actor, notable only for roles in 2007’s “The Great Debaters” or 2012’s “Red Tails.” Once word spread at Sundance that he had put his acting career on hold after 2014’s “Beyond the Lights” to raise the money to produce and direct the script he had been writing since 2009, Parker and his film were seen as an antidote to the then-fresh #OscarsSoWhite campaign.

But when renewed attention was paid to Parker’s past, he handled it poorly. While Affleck was in the financial position — through birth, circumstance and, yes, talent and hard work — to hire two of the most undaunted legal and public relations representatives in the business to settle his case, Parker did not initially have the same access. And though he had spoken about the allegations in the past, Parker was, perhaps understandably, angrily on the defense when asked to address them in multiple interviews and Q&As — events Parker, as the film’s sole auteur, couldn’t avoid.

That brings us to another major difference between Affleck and Parker. While the “Manchester” lead has been rather on-brand — a humble, attention-adverse family man — in the few times he’s directly (yet indirectly) addressed the allegations, Parker, on the other hand, has vehemently maintained his innocence, that a jury agreed and that his life was upended. In fact, he seemingly had no regard for the alleged victim until after news broke that she had committed suicide, a long-term result, her family said, of the alleged assault.

Perhaps if Parker had the same kind of powerhouse PR in his corner, as Affleck does, a better, more effective way of quelling the controversy might have worked. But if reports that Parker declined media assistance from the influential Oprah Winfrey are true, “Birth’s” demise might have been inevitable.

Additionally, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Fox Searchlight, the studio that purchased “Birth” for a record $17.5 million, even hired D.C.-based Glover Park Consulting and former NFL pro and anti-sexual violence activist Don McPherson to devise a plan to salvage the film, and Parker’s career. He ultimately refused: “They gave him talking points and he just didn't execute,” an industry veteran with knowledge of the events said.

If true, if Parker behaved like a drowning man who refused a life preserver, then the fate of “Birth of a Nation” rests on his shoulders. The picture has made only $15.9 million since its Oct. 7 opening, never getting a worldwide release. All major award season prospects — save six NAACP Image Award nominations and a DGA first filmmaker nod — have been shot.

Even though news of Affleck’s past surfaced months after Parker’s, critiques of him have largely not stuck. Save notable stories by Mashable, the Daily Beast and ThinkProgress, most mainstream outlets, including The Times, have consciously or unconsciously avoided raising the issue in their interviews with the star. As Buzzfeed’s Anne Helen Petersen proffered, some outlets might be concerned that addressing it will limit their access to those in Affleck’s orbit. When members of the press have inquired, as stated prior, Affleck smartly answered, ultimately deflecting.

Affleck has also benefited from a lack of community responsibility that undoubtedly contributed to the fall of “Birth.” Some within the black community — many who also lead in the fight against sexual violence — wanted to see, at minimum, an expression of remorse on Parker’s behalf. As the Black Youth Project’s Elizabeth Adetiba said, “‘community’ revolves around the belief that we are all responsible for one another, and can only be sustained through love, justice and respect, especially for those who are further marginalized due to gender, sexual orientation, ability and/or socioeconomic status.” And though Parker’s alleged victim was white, she noted, “black women experience sexual violence at disproportionate rates in comparison to women of other races. And yes, most of the perpetrators are in fact black men.

“So while the accusations against Affleck might be easily disregarded by non-black America, we cannot and have never been able to afford doing the same for Nate Parker,” she said.

Considering the complex conversation that is how Hollywood, and others, have responded to both Affleck and Parker, what holds true are the facts. The age-old idea of separating the artist from their art will continue be debated. But history tells us one thing: Affleck is the latest in a long line of wealthy, white Hollywood notables of direct or associated influence with questionable sex-related histories, including Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen and countless others. When Parker is added to this list, suddenly one of these things is unlike the others.

Polanski won an Oscar while in exile. Gibson was in the crowd at this year’s Globes, himself a nominee, as Affleck delivered his acceptance speech. The career rebound is possible … for some.

Will Parker similarly have the chance, or is he forever a pariah? Only time will tell. In the meantime, he may want to, finally, check his attitude.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They kept that shit on the hush
Feb 27th 2017
they gave y'all both supporting awards you didn't think you were getting...
Feb 27th 2017
      It's usually for supporting roles... smh
Feb 27th 2017
bc Casey ain't part of a community that demanded accountability:
Feb 27th 2017
white women don't/didn't care
Feb 27th 2017
It only happens when we do it.
Feb 27th 2017
because white/connected and bc nate parker did everything wrong
Feb 27th 2017
Feb 27th 2017
(response)
Feb 27th 2017
It wasn't even really a response. He called himself trying to get ahead
Feb 27th 2017
like being acquitted? but not playing the Hwood Im sorry tour?
Feb 27th 2017
It was an unapology tour, lol.
Feb 27th 2017
The acquittal, ironically, is the source of his tone deafness on this.
Feb 27th 2017
I thought he went full force on the innocence train...
Feb 27th 2017
That's what I'm saying. How do you apologize after an acquittal without
Feb 27th 2017
      You can tho.
Feb 27th 2017
      Difference is, her father hit her (and I take it that became a known
Feb 27th 2017
      Sounds like he was pretty resolved to me.
Feb 27th 2017
      That's different fam
Feb 27th 2017
           Im talking before that came out
Feb 27th 2017
                I think the transcripts came out after the first statement.
Feb 27th 2017
                That's it
Feb 27th 2017
                "I know better because I have a wife and a daughter"
Feb 27th 2017
      'I had a fair trial and the jury made the right decision based on the ev...
Feb 27th 2017
           Interviewer: Nate, let's talk about that for a moment.
Feb 27th 2017
                Not at all. It's the conversation that every dad should have with
Feb 27th 2017
                The subtext of that conversation between fathers and sons is
Feb 27th 2017
                RE: Interviewer: Nate, let's talk about that for a moment.
Feb 27th 2017
                     I can almost see that working.
Feb 27th 2017
the problem is the reasoning for why he was acquitted
Feb 27th 2017
didnt the victim commit suicide?
Feb 27th 2017
Right.
Feb 27th 2017
      and now we have the same list of people
Feb 27th 2017
I hated the whole "NP handly it poorly and brought it on himself"
Feb 27th 2017
when doesn't it?
Feb 27th 2017
When the facts are on your side. When you know you are right.
Feb 27th 2017
      you've inserted words to suit your preferred argument.
Feb 27th 2017
           My bad, I totally missed that part of your post.
Feb 27th 2017
                imo
Feb 27th 2017
                That's not what I've seen.
Feb 28th 2017
                     I can't control who you see and hang around
Feb 28th 2017
                I meant to say, "I can't say for certain...."
Feb 27th 2017
bruh if Oprah wants to help you with ANYTHING
Feb 27th 2017
      Oh yeah that was damn dumb. Can't deny that.
Feb 27th 2017
      Wow, why did he turn it down?
Feb 27th 2017
      I'd bet money it was a pride thing.
Feb 27th 2017
           he needed to discuss this privately w/ the same black women
Feb 27th 2017
                Yup
Feb 27th 2017
                agreed.
Feb 27th 2017
                nothing would ever be enough because all they wanted was blood.
Mar 01st 2017
                     which is entirely and completely false
Mar 01st 2017
      basically
Feb 27th 2017
Black Man and a White Man and you already know
Feb 27th 2017
the severity mentioned
Feb 27th 2017
yeah no. Trump was accused of rape.
Feb 27th 2017
Same basic reasoning as this:
Feb 27th 2017
severity of the cases
Feb 27th 2017
white folks wanted nate parker out the paint and yall fell for it. thats...
Feb 27th 2017
I don't think YT was really involved. This was largely an in-house
Feb 27th 2017
Don't fooled they controlled the media, the agenda & the narrative...
Feb 27th 2017
No, the downhill slope started with the Deadline interview.
Feb 28th 2017
      Right. The Black attackers just played guard dog for white supremacy
Mar 01st 2017
           rjcc, lfresh and the VSB crew
Mar 01st 2017
basically. n/m
Feb 27th 2017
naw.
Feb 27th 2017
I'll clear up your naivety here...
Mar 01st 2017
yup
Feb 28th 2017
Christ.
Feb 28th 2017
      I don't think its a coincidence about what movies they want to promote.....
Feb 28th 2017
      they like Moonlight b/c they so skurred of your big black buck
Feb 28th 2017
           It was so neutered too. Like 'Get Out' was more subversive
Feb 28th 2017
           motherfucking DJANGO UNCHAINED is more subversive.
Feb 28th 2017
                RE: motherfucking DJANGO UNCHAINED is more subversive.
Feb 28th 2017
                     did you see it?
Feb 28th 2017
                          Django was a damn cartoon
Feb 28th 2017
                          k.
Feb 28th 2017
                          It's crazy how critical some folk are when it comes to BOAN
Feb 28th 2017
                          well i do that b/c i'm a double agent.
Feb 28th 2017
                          I SEE YOU THROWING SUBLIMINALS AT ME NIGGA.
Feb 28th 2017
                               Not just you.. it was all over the internet comment sections
Mar 01st 2017
                          RE: Django was a damn cartoon = FACTS!
Feb 28th 2017
                          You're blatantly lying again.
Feb 28th 2017
                               like you can tell me shit about SHIT. Like I read your bullshit replies.
Mar 01st 2017
                                    I saw the movie, and what I said is true. Just own your lie. n/m
Mar 01st 2017
                                         Omg. Still trying.
Mar 01st 2017
                                              Omg. Still deflecting.
Mar 01st 2017
                                                   Wordswordswordswords
Mar 01st 2017
           I think "Hollywood" had Buyer's remorse.
Feb 28th 2017
           I'll clear up some more of your ignorance and naivety here...
Mar 01st 2017
                You? Clear som'n up for ME? YOU??
Mar 01st 2017
                     Most definitely. You're completely confused, and it's obvious. n/m
Mar 01st 2017
                          YOU.
Mar 01st 2017
      And yet, there were posters up trolling the film in Hollywood
Feb 28th 2017
      This makes no sense.
Feb 28th 2017
           Yes it does
Mar 01st 2017
                That was for an entirely different reason tho
Mar 01st 2017
                     all those right wing sites were mad
Mar 01st 2017
                     "transcripts implying rape are a stupid reason to not support him" - you
Mar 01st 2017
                          Nah, that's all you homie... sounding dumb as shit
Mar 01st 2017
                     The name "Birth of a Nation" matters to white supremacists
Mar 01st 2017
                          Its early dammit
Mar 01st 2017
                               lol
Mar 01st 2017
      Make no mistake the name "Birth of a Nation" MATTERS to them
Mar 01st 2017
I don't see how anyone can compare these cases based on their severity
Feb 28th 2017
I thought this would come up sooner.
Feb 28th 2017
one was acquited the other settled ooc etc..wtf?
Mar 01st 2017
white people were equally nonchalant about Nate's situation
Feb 28th 2017
They did. They just didn't have to express it b/c their Black guard dogs
Mar 01st 2017
      Shit was sad man
Mar 01st 2017
asking me to be more pro-black than anti-rape is very sketchy
Mar 01st 2017
the black guy probably raped someone? smh...
Mar 01st 2017
      IKR?! these smart-dumb negros on this site never cease to amaze me
Mar 01st 2017
      I wasnt there. but Im all for believing the woman's claims
Mar 01st 2017
           White men have a history of getting off for killing Black ppl
Mar 01st 2017
           "so was george zimmerman" is a really REALLY dumb reply
Mar 01st 2017
           not all people. People with the evidence against Nate Parker
Mar 01st 2017
                Uh-huh.
Mar 01st 2017
           That wouldn't have been my rebuttal at all. If I were interested
Mar 01st 2017
           Zimmerman? Gotdamn you are dumb.
Mar 01st 2017
Parker starred in Beyond the Lights...
Mar 01st 2017
everybody who saw Beyond the Lights in the theater
Mar 01st 2017
Must have forgotten about Aflak being a son of the confederacy
Mar 02nd 2017
Come on, lol. He didn't even know about that and was so ashamed
Mar 02nd 2017

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79616 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They kept that shit on the hush"
In response to Reply # 0

but I have bigger beef with his win. Ben Affleck must have major pull because that acting job was TERRIBLE.

dude shuffled, mumbled and barely spoke for 2 hours. Denzel outshined him in the first 10 minutes of Fences.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:00 AM

2. "they gave y'all both supporting awards you didn't think you were getting..."
In response to Reply # 1

best actor/actress too?

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:08 AM

3. "It's usually for supporting roles... smh"
In response to Reply # 2

I didn't watch but once I read that I knew it was a wrap.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "bc Casey ain't part of a community that demanded accountability:"
In response to Reply # 0

Or bc white ppl ain't shit if we wanna be harsh about it.

>http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-nate-parker-casey-affleck-scandals-20161215-story.html
>
>Commentary Race, privilege and a bad attitude: Why are Nate
>Parker and Casey Affleck being treated differently?
>
>Tre'vell Anderson Contact Reporter
>
>On the night of the Golden Globes — as he had for many of
>the awards season trophy ceremonies — actor Casey Affleck
>bounded onto the stage to accept his award as best lead actor
>in a drama for his turn in “Manchester by the Sea.”
>Meanwhile, Nate Parker, the multi-hyphenate lead of the Nat
>Turner slave revolt flick, “The Birth of a Nation,”
>wasn’t anywhere to be seen on the show that, 12 months
>prior, he was considered all but a lock to be a fixture of.
>
>The 2017 awards season was supposed to belong to both Parker
>and Affleck, as both of their films had stormed out of
>Sundance a year ago this week to positive reception with glory
>in their sights.
>
>But the experiences of these two men have been vastly
>different. In the time since “Manchester” and
>“Birth’s” Sundance premieres, old cases involving both
>actors and histories with sexual impropriety came to light.
>
>For Parker, a massive controversy arose surrounding rape
>allegations from when he was a student at Penn State, nailing
>his film, and perhaps his entire career, to the moral cross.
>Affleck, however, remains a projected front-runner for an
>Oscar nomination on the heels of his Globes win, despite the
>resurfacing of details of alleged sexual harassment on the
>set of his 2010 mockumentary, “I’m Still Here.”
>
>In an age where sexual assault has received renewed attention,
>and the likes of Bill Cosby and Roger Ailes are being forced
>to face their own allegations of sexual misconduct, what has
>happened to Parker and what hasn’t happened to Affleck
>deserves interrogation, if only as a case study of how race,
>class, access and one’s attitude are inextricably linked.
>And indeed, the “wrong” combination of these things can
>spell career suicide.
>
>It must be noted, though, a major difference between the two
>men’s alleged sexual history: The cases against Affleck were
>filed in civil court, while the accusations against Parker
>were filed in criminal court. Although both alleged instances
>of sexual misconduct might draw ire or concern, the degree of
>said allegations is legally more serious in Parker’s case.
>Additionally, the legal foundation of the allegations against
>Affleck were contractual, having to do with payment and film
>credit.
>
>Affleck was accused of sexual misconduct and harassment by two
>women who worked on “I’m Still Here,” producer Amanda
>White and cinematographer Magdalena Gorka, who cited a number
>of sexually inappropriate occurrences, both physical and
>verbal, between them and Affleck. In one instance, Gorka
>alleged that while she was asleep in a private room Affleck
>“curled up next to her in the bed wearing only his underwear
>and a T-shirt. He had his arm around her, was caressing her
>back, his face was within inches of hers and his breath reeked
>of alcohol.” When she awoke, Gorka said she demanded he
>leave, which he did, after a slight protest. At another
>moment, White claimed Affleck instructed a crew member to take
>off his pants and show White his penis, despite her
>objections.
>
>In the face of the sexual claims, which normally would result
>in a criminal case, each woman, represented by the same
>lawyer, filed a civil lawsuit to the tune more than $2
>million, a week apart from each other. Their points of
>contention were that their employment contracts were not
>honored and payment was withheld, which they believed to be in
>retaliation for their rebuffs, complaints and eventual
>resignation.
>
>Affleck, as reported by the Los Angeles Times and other
>outlets at the time, denied the claims. The motion submitted
>by his lawyers, before Gorka filed her complaint, called
>White’s allegations “fabricated” and in response to 15
>months’ worth of failed attempts to “extort” a better
>production deal. Affleck, in the motion, doubled down on this
>assertion, noting that White had accepted the terms of
>agreement in her employment contract, that he and the
>production company had complied and, verbally and via email,
>she expressed “how happy she was to be a part of this
>project.”
>
>Both suits were settled out of court — a move that is not an
>admission of guilt — with no details of the settlement, if
>they be financial or otherwise, made public. Each woman is
>listed in the film’s credits. A statement from both
>Affleck’s reps and the women, at the time, said the matter
>was “resolved to the mutual satisfaction of the parties.”
>
>As for Parker, the criminal case against him alleged rape of a
>female student while he was a wrestler at Penn State
>University. The 1999 suit, which did go to trial, resulted in
>his acquittal in 2001. Parker’s college roommate, Jean
>McGianni Celestin, who co-wrote “The Birth of a Nation,”
>was also accused in the assault. Though convicted, Celestin
>successfully appealed it.
>
>Much ado — mainly in off-the-record industry conversations
>and the non-mainstream blogosphere — has been made about the
>reasons for each man’s current fortunes. While much blame
>has been placed at the foot of white male (and upper-class)
>privilege — with good reason — the issue is much more
>complicated than that. The media and Hollywood, and Parker
>himself, are in part to blame for why Parker may not ever work
>in movies again and Affleck will sail, seemingly unfazed,
>untouched and unfettered, into a more fruitful phase of his
>career.
>
>It is no secret that Affleck knows privilege intimately,
>consciously or otherwise. The brother and family friend of two
>of the industry’s most bankable stars, Ben Affleck and Matt
>Damon, Affleck can count those in his corner as more than
>“just a tight circle of people who have had some success,”
>as he told Variety. Invariably, they are part of the reason
>why, following the poor reception of “I’m Still Here,”
>his career can have a rebound moment. (The film pulled in a
>paltry $408,983.)
>
>Moreover, he was only cast in “Manchester,” a role
>originally meant for Damon, after Damon convinced
>writer-director Kenneth Lonergan that Affleck was the best,
>and only, person he trusted to take his place. (Though,
>clearly Affleck’s Oscar nomination for his supporting role
>in 2007’s “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward
>Robert Ford” didn’t hurt. Neither did his award-winning
>role as a morally challenged Boston detective in “Gone Baby
>Gone,” directed by his brother.)
>
>Contrarily, to most people, Parker was simply a working actor,
>notable only for roles in 2007’s “The Great Debaters” or
>2012’s “Red Tails.” Once word spread at Sundance that he
>had put his acting career on hold after 2014’s “Beyond the
>Lights” to raise the money to produce and direct the script
>he had been writing since 2009, Parker and his film were seen
>as an antidote to the then-fresh #OscarsSoWhite campaign.
>
>But when renewed attention was paid to Parker’s past, he
>handled it poorly. While Affleck was in the financial position
>— through birth, circumstance and, yes, talent and hard work
>— to hire two of the most undaunted legal and public
>relations representatives in the business to settle his case,
>Parker did not initially have the same access. And though he
>had spoken about the allegations in the past, Parker was,
>perhaps understandably, angrily on the defense when asked to
>address them in multiple interviews and Q&As — events
>Parker, as the film’s sole auteur, couldn’t avoid.
>
>That brings us to another major difference between Affleck and
>Parker. While the “Manchester” lead has been rather
>on-brand — a humble, attention-adverse family man — in the
>few times he’s directly (yet indirectly) addressed the
>allegations, Parker, on the other hand, has vehemently
>maintained his innocence, that a jury agreed and that his life
>was upended. In fact, he seemingly had no regard for the
>alleged victim until after news broke that she had committed
>suicide, a long-term result, her family said, of the alleged
>assault.
>
>Perhaps if Parker had the same kind of powerhouse PR in his
>corner, as Affleck does, a better, more effective way of
>quelling the controversy might have worked. But if reports
>that Parker declined media assistance from the influential
>Oprah Winfrey are true, “Birth’s” demise might have been
>inevitable.
>
>Additionally, according to the Hollywood Reporter, Fox
>Searchlight, the studio that purchased “Birth” for a
>record $17.5 million, even hired D.C.-based Glover Park
>Consulting and former NFL pro and anti-sexual violence
>activist Don McPherson to devise a plan to salvage the film,
>and Parker’s career. He ultimately refused: “They gave him
>talking points and he just didn't execute,” an industry
>veteran with knowledge of the events said.
>
>If true, if Parker behaved like a drowning man who refused a
>life preserver, then the fate of “Birth of a Nation” rests
>on his shoulders. The picture has made only $15.9 million
>since its Oct. 7 opening, never getting a worldwide release.
>All major award season prospects — save six NAACP Image
>Award nominations and a DGA first filmmaker nod — have been
>shot.
>
>Even though news of Affleck’s past surfaced months after
>Parker’s, critiques of him have largely not stuck. Save
>notable stories by Mashable, the Daily Beast and
>ThinkProgress, most mainstream outlets, including The Times,
>have consciously or unconsciously avoided raising the issue in
>their interviews with the star. As Buzzfeed’s Anne Helen
>Petersen proffered, some outlets might be concerned that
>addressing it will limit their access to those in Affleck’s
>orbit. When members of the press have inquired, as stated
>prior, Affleck smartly answered, ultimately deflecting.
>
>Affleck has also benefited from a lack of community
>responsibility that undoubtedly contributed to the fall of
>“Birth.” Some within the black community — many who also
>lead in the fight against sexual violence — wanted to see,
>at minimum, an expression of remorse on Parker’s behalf. As
>the Black Youth Project’s Elizabeth Adetiba said,
>“‘community’ revolves around the belief that we are all
>responsible for one another, and can only be sustained through
>love, justice and respect, especially for those who are
>further marginalized due to gender, sexual orientation,
>ability and/or socioeconomic status.” And though Parker’s
>alleged victim was white, she noted, “black women experience
>sexual violence at disproportionate rates in comparison to
>women of other races. And yes, most of the perpetrators are in
>fact black men.
>
>“So while the accusations against Affleck might be easily
>disregarded by non-black America, we cannot and have never
>been able to afford doing the same for Nate Parker,” she
>said.
>
>Considering the complex conversation that is how Hollywood,
>and others, have responded to both Affleck and Parker, what
>holds true are the facts. The age-old idea of separating the
>artist from their art will continue be debated. But history
>tells us one thing: Affleck is the latest in a long line of
>wealthy, white Hollywood notables of direct or associated
>influence with questionable sex-related histories, including
>Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen and countless others.
>When Parker is added to this list, suddenly one of these
>things is unlike the others.
>
>Polanski won an Oscar while in exile. Gibson was in the crowd
>at this year’s Globes, himself a nominee, as Affleck
>delivered his acceptance speech. The career rebound is
>possible … for some.
>
>Will Parker similarly have the chance, or is he forever a
>pariah? Only time will tell. In the meantime, he may want to,
>finally, check his attitude.

fuck you.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:11 AM

5. "white women don't/didn't care "
In response to Reply # 0

=======================================
Coolin...

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:15 AM

6. "It only happens when we do it. "
In response to Reply # 5

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "because white/connected and bc nate parker did everything wrong"
In response to Reply # 0

from the time the story popped up and on.

had he responded differently, it never would've gone the way it did

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:07 AM

8. "#4"
In response to Reply # 7

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "(response)"
In response to Reply # 8

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "It wasn't even really a response. He called himself trying to get ahead"
In response to Reply # 7

of it. There had been a reference to it on his Wikipedia for years but he probably thought his increasing profile would bring more scrutiny.

I get his logic, but he seriously miscalculated that the most heated vitriol would come from black women, not from outside the community. I wouldn't have guessed that, either.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "like being acquitted? but not playing the Hwood Im sorry tour?"
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Feb-27-17 11:15 AM by rdhull

>from the time the story popped up and on.
>
>had he responded differently, it never would've gone the way
>it did
>
>www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "It was an unapology tour, lol."
In response to Reply # 7
Mon Feb-27-17 11:24 AM by BigReg

He wasn't ready for prime time.

His initial message wasn't too bad (saying he was a different person now which goes a ways to acknowledge he was a dickhead without implicating himself) , but he fell apart and acted like he was in front of the judge again proving his innocence in "A Few Good Men'. Surprised he ain't beat boxing to 'Bitches Ain't Shit'. He didn't have the fortitude to go on the PR tour like he thought he did, he just couldn't come off as contrite. He had a healthy dose of Christian arrogance about it all, on some, "I know in my soul God knows I aint do nothing like they said, so fuck y'all"

While Nate intentionally wanted to tackle the issue head on which eventually became his downfall, it is peculiar that Casey's basically skated on top of all those questions. But alas, Casey has more of a PR machine, and hollywood nepotism, behind him.

>from the time the story popped up and on.
>
>had he responded differently, it never would've gone the way
>it did
>

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:40 AM

13. "The acquittal, ironically, is the source of his tone deafness on this."
In response to Reply # 12
Mon Feb-27-17 11:46 AM by Teknontheou

If he had just been convicted he could have fallen back on having paid his debt to society, or whatever. But having been acquitted put him in an impossible position of either defending his innocence outright, or renouncing his acquittal, which he'd be crazy to do. His critics wanted him to do the latter, but he tried to do some weird in between thing and it didn't work.

Plus, forgot to mention, I suspect the acquittal helped him rationalize whatever happened, and since so much time had passed, he came to really believe in his heart he was innocent. That's how having skeletons in your closet can work sometimes. Like Don Draper telling Peggy if she worked hard enough to move past her skeletons, she'd really believe her own story, the way he did with his identity.

So when people read the transcripts of the accuser's account fresh, Nate was forced to wake up out of his self-constructed fantasy, but he couldn't.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:44 AM

14. "I thought he went full force on the innocence train..."
In response to Reply # 13

and that's what people were mad about

They wanted him to apologize and he was always like "Apologize for what?"

He had one instance where he said something like he was morally wrong. But that was more on how he was living back in those days compared to his current perspective on life

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:48 AM

15. "That's what I'm saying. How do you apologize after an acquittal without"
In response to Reply # 14

renouncing your own acquittal? You have to choose one or the other.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:55 AM

16. "You can tho. "
In response to Reply # 15
Mon Feb-27-17 11:57 AM by BigReg

In college white girl across from my dorm room got mollywopped badly by her pops (hospitalization) and blamed the generic black dudes. Cops even asked about me. When the news came out a week later I ain't run up and down the halls saying for em all to suck my dick, I was like, "Damn, that's fucked up, I hope she recovers"

Why?

1)It was a fucked up situation at its core

2)Knowing what I was dealing with in that weird semi-adult microcosm of white society I know that I had to be hyper empathetic and I know by me saying my real opinion would come off dickish and possibly guilty even tho I aint do shit, lol.

It's not like they were gonna re-open the case and put him back in jail. All he had to do was focus on that initial statement where he was like he wasn't moral and having young girls himself now he knows even tho it wasn't rape, shitty behavior is shitty behavior.

THEN say that he hopes the girl is doing well.

In the back of his head he still didn't resolve his feelings of, 'That bitch fucking lied on me and almost ruined me and my boys life!!!' and that's what doomed him.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:08 PM

18. "Difference is, her father hit her (and I take it that became a known "
In response to Reply # 16
Mon Feb-27-17 12:10 PM by Teknontheou

fact, right?), not you. You could easily show empathy because you were essentially able to "prove" your innocence. Nate was admittedly there. He's always claimed there was consent and he has been falling back on the fact that the jury bought his story. He didn't have proof of innocence so much as a better lawyer/story for those 12 people in 1999.

Your situation would be a better analogy for a situation if Nate Parker had been accused of a rape in State College, PA while he was home in Norfolk visiting family, i.e. a clear, unquestionable alibi and the ability to prove his innocence.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:11 PM

19. "Sounds like he was pretty resolved to me. "

>In the back of his head he still didn't resolve his feelings
>of, 'That bitch fucking lied on me and almost ruined me and my
>boys life!!!' and that's what doomed him.

Deep down he felt exactly like you described which was 'That bitch fucking lied on me and almost ruined me and my boys life!!!'

and when he was pressed about it that's what came out.

But like you point out, Black man can't really express that and the "right thing" for him to do was to somehow apologize to his accuser.

Now I do think he was a bit unlucky in not knowing that the girl eventually killed herself and he probably would have said somethings differently if he knew that before he spoke on it. That fact being revealed was the KO punch.

But yeah, I think you would have been completely within your right to say fcuk that chick who put your life in jeopoardy instead of you having to feel sorry for her.

You a bigger man for having done it, but it would have made you no less of a good person if you didn't do it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:22 PM

25. "That's different fam"

way different.

She killed herself too so there is no way to hear the other side.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:29 PM

33. "Im talking before that came out"
In response to Reply # 25
Mon Feb-27-17 12:29 PM by BigReg

His initial statement was gold!

His subsequent interviews even before it came out she killed herself?

*shakes head*

>She killed herself too so there is no way to hear the other
>side.

Like there wasn't going to be closure even if she was alive because what's the odds of her recanting? All he could do was keep on saying he was a dickhead, like he did initially, and knows better now with daughters and god on his side. He was defensive but its like

1)You're a relative unknown promoting a movie, can't mad at answering that question 10 times a day because that's the game

2)Even IF he was 110% innocent, alibi and all, there's still some that are gonna give him a side eye based on their own biases.

He was never contrite. Dude answered factually but it came off horribly in the court of public opinion.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:37 PM

36. "I think the transcripts came out after the first statement."
In response to Reply # 33

The transcripts fucked his shit up because he came off like a garden variety asshole jock that reminded alot of women of guys who've raped them. And he sort of acknowledged that he was that asshole jock, but not a rapist, which is a hard pill to swallow (no pun intended) for alot of triggered women going through 20 pages of a pdf with a fine toothed comb.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:42 PM

39. "That's it"
In response to Reply # 36
Mon Feb-27-17 12:48 PM by BigReg

>The transcripts fucked his shit up because he came off like a
>garden variety asshole jock that reminded alot of women of
>guys who've raped them. And he sort of acknowledged that he
>was that asshole jock, but not a rapist, which is a hard pill
>to swallow (no pun intended) for alot of triggered women going
>through 20 pages of a pdf with a fine toothed comb.

But the problem is that during the apology tour he still let that jock come out; like reading all those transcripts/articles back in the day I feel he was innocent...but I don't feel sorry for him, lol.

That's the problem...he keeps on falling back on that concrete "I aint rape her" fact which doesn't explain his behavior; him knowing this woman liked him on a romantic, not jumpoff, level but standing her up for hours at a time, trying to get broker other dudes into sleep with her, being dismissive after the fact and blaming it on the alcohol, possibly getting his homies to harass her out of campus, etc.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:40 PM

37. ""I know better because I have a wife and a daughter""
In response to Reply # 33

was actually his first mistake in the initial interview.

needing proximity to women to treat them humanely isn't the strong defense he thought it was, and it's why the whole thing took off.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:02 PM

17. "'I had a fair trial and the jury made the right decision based on the ev..."
In response to Reply # 15

presented to them. However, I understand that I am culpable in ways no trial could handle. And for that I will forever be sorry. I have done what I can to make amends and I need to do more. I'm also focused on handling this in a away that respects *whatsherface*. I will not relitigate the matter in the media out of respect for her, her family and for my family.'

Of course, this assumes he has reached to the survivor before issuing the statement - if he had he'd have known she died by suicide.

fuck you.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:14 PM

21. "Interviewer: Nate, let's talk about that for a moment."
In response to Reply # 17

When you say you're culpable in ways no trial could handle, what do you mean, or what are you referring to?

Nate: *blank stare/irritation/confusion/agitation*

That line of response is really hollow and would certainly be drilled down to him either admitting he raped her or continuing to deny that he raped her. There was no escaping his having to make a choice.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:19 PM

23. "Not at all. It's the conversation that every dad should have with"
In response to Reply # 21

their sons.

Just because a woman is willing doesn't mean you should do it.

It's what the third dude in the room knew.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:25 PM

30. "The subtext of that conversation between fathers and sons is"
In response to Reply # 23

"that girl might lie on you and you won't be able to prove your innocence".

Any root explanation along those lines from NP would have made this even worse than it turned out.

The root question for Nate with this was ALWAYS did you rape her or didn't you (in light of the transcript of her accusations), an dif not, what's your proof of your innocence?".

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:52 PM

41. "RE: Interviewer: Nate, let's talk about that for a moment."
In response to Reply # 21

>When you say you're culpable in ways no trial could handle,
>what do you mean, or what are you referring to?
>
>Nate: *blank stare/irritation/confusion/agitation*

he would have been prepared for that follow up question.

'Bad decision making on my part. Not doing what I could to care for a fellow student who I should have known was in trouble. And that's a key part of the message I deliver when I work w/*insert name of some charitable org w/whom he works*.'

^ PIVOT.

if there's another follow up question about the rape - go back to respect for the family...the trial was ugly i don't want to dig up those facts again. rape trials tend to be ugly and mine was. i'm focused on making it better.

>That line of response is really hollow and would certainly be
>drilled down to him either admitting he raped her or
>continuing to deny that he raped her. There was no escaping
>his having to make a choice.

fuck you.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:56 PM

44. "I can almost see that working."
In response to Reply # 41

But as we've established in this thread, Nate seems to have an inner asshole jock thing that probably would have made that super hard to pull off well.

Or, the reason he got into that mess originally is the same reason why he wouldn't have been able to pull that strategy off well.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:22 PM

26. "the problem is the reasoning for why he was acquitted"
In response to Reply # 13

it allowed him to skate legally at the time, but now, "I had sex with her previously"

isn't the case he could stand on publicly.

so....

ShinobiShaw
Charter member
48550 posts

34. "didnt the victim commit suicide? "
In response to Reply # 12

He didnt respond well to it at all.

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12151 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:15 PM

22. "Right."
In response to Reply # 7

Look... white men, particularly those with a little power and/or money will always be given more latitude for shitty behavior. That isn't apt to change.

That said, fuck Nate Parker.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:24 PM

28. "and now we have the same list of people"
In response to Reply # 22

leaving out inconvenient details, again, because both things being true is inconvenient to their personal agenda

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:13 PM

20. "I hated the whole "NP handly it poorly and brought it on himself""
In response to Reply # 0

argument.

Does it really comedown to who can afford the better PR team and stay on message in the aftermath?

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:20 PM

24. "when doesn't it?"
In response to Reply # 20
Mon Feb-27-17 12:21 PM by Rjcc

what in life isn't about how you present your story?

also -- what if, just what if, there' actually something wrong with parker's interpretation of what happened.

you won't mention that.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:25 PM

29. "When the facts are on your side. When you know you are right. "
In response to Reply # 24

It's another variation of the perfect victim argument.

NP didn't present himself perfectly or show enough compassion towards the person who accused him of a crime, so he must have done something wrong.

The NP threads are deep so I won't spend too much time revisiting, but if NP is indeed innocent as he has been proclaiming all this time, then he has been treated terribly and I can understand his frustration.

If he is guilty, then fcuk him. He deserves everything that happen to him.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:31 PM

35. "you've inserted words to suit your preferred argument."
In response to Reply # 29

I said what if he's wrong and his outlook is wrong

you've decided I said he must've done something wrong

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 03:17 PM

47. "My bad, I totally missed that part of your post. "
In response to Reply # 35

Like I said before. If he raped her then he deserves all of this and more. He should be in jail.

If he interpreted the situation wrong, that's still rape.

I don't think this was ever described as some sort of ambiguous sexual situation.

The two accounts directly contradict each other. Someone has to be lying and someone has to be telling the truth.

I can say for certain NP is telling the truth, but I also know that most of the people commenting on the case can't be certain that he is lying...which has been happening.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 06:21 PM

57. "imo"
In response to Reply # 47

most of the people who are classified "against" nate parker (not all of them, but most of the ones I've seen)

have not been assessing his guilt, innocence or anywhere in between.

the primary thing is that it appears he could not, and perhaps still cannot, view the situation and consent in a way that anyone can reliably he understands or cares deeply enough that HE can reliably say if what he did was wrong (this is slightly different than whether or not he did anything illegal) and what he can or would do differently or advise others to do differently.

because his responses and comments on it just haven't added up.

it's not only a matter of PR

once it comes out, people have to decide if they stand with him or not.

I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to say "I'd like to believe that he thinks sexual assault of women is wrong because they're people, not just because of how it might affect their husband or father" which is what the "I'm a husband and a dad of a daughter now" implies.

there's a whole other part to it.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 02:29 PM

71. "That's not what I've seen. "
In response to Reply # 57

>most of the people who are classified "against" nate parker
>(not all of them, but most of the ones I've seen)
>
>have not been assessing his guilt, innocence or anywhere in
>between.

I've mostly seen the assumption that he is guilty. With that assumption in place, everything he said afterward would sound horrible and that's how people heard it.

>the primary thing is that it appears he could not, and perhaps
>still cannot, view the situation and consent in a way that
>anyone can reliably he understands or cares deeply enough that
>HE can reliably say if what he did was wrong (this is slightly
>different than whether or not he did anything illegal) and
>what he can or would do differently or advise others to do
>differently.

I do think he addressed it. He tried to express empathy but people took that as an admission of guilt. So then he reacted by distancing himself from his empathetic statements.

>
>because his responses and comments on it just haven't added
>up.
>

I think they do. He started with "I didn't do anything wrong and a court agreed. End of subject". That didn't work and people criticized him for lack of empathy. Especially when we all learned the girl killed herself. He next tried to express empathy but that backfired and many people took it as an admission of guilt. So then he went back to "fuck it, I didn't do anything wrong."

Throughout all that time he has maintained his innocence.

>
>it's not only a matter of PR
>
>once it comes out, people have to decide if they stand with
>him or not.
>
>I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone to say "I'd like to
>believe that he thinks sexual assault of women is wrong
>because they're people, not just because of how it might
>affect their husband or father" which is what the "I'm a
>husband and a dad of a daughter now" implies.

I don't think that's the implication at all. The reasonable interpretation of his actual statement is that he is older and wiser and more empathetic now.

>
>
>there's a whole other part to it.
>
>

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 04:10 PM

77. "I can't control who you see and hang around"
In response to Reply # 71

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 07:47 PM

58. "I meant to say, "I can't say for certain....""
In response to Reply # 47

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:28 PM

31. "bruh if Oprah wants to help you with ANYTHING"
In response to Reply # 20

you don't turn that shit down

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts

32. "Oh yeah that was damn dumb. Can't deny that. "
In response to Reply # 31

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:43 PM

40. "Wow, why did he turn it down?"

No matter how beaten down you feel when Oprah calls, you go.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:53 PM

42. "I'd bet money it was a pride thing."
In response to Reply # 40

Turning to Oprah to help calm it down would feel like "cheating". He wanted to make it go away on his own, or at least, without the aid of a media titan like Oprah.

That's evidence of how out of touch he was with how this was being received by black women.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:55 PM

43. "he needed to discuss this privately w/ the same black women"
In response to Reply # 42

who would challenge his narrative later

so that he could understand there are other viewpoints of the stuff he's saying.

from my view, I felt like he thought his version of the story as he told it would be enough, but it's not and he never figured out why.

it's not about relitigating the case, it's about understand why people won't see it the way he did.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 05:24 PM

50. "Yup"
In response to Reply # 43

>it's not about relitigating the case, it's about understand
>why people won't see it the way he did.

He was completely tone deaf to what was going on around him. I started flipping through old articles in the post and I realized from August to OCTOBER he was dealing with that shit and it seemed all he did was dig himself a deeper grave during all that time.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 05:45 PM

53. "agreed."
Mon Feb-27-17 05:48 PM by SoWhat

he needed to speak w/the survivor('s family) first - upon doing so he'd have found out she committed suicide.

that right there should have been a wake up call for him.

after that, meet w/rape survivor advocacy groups. listen to stories from survivors.

hearing that info should have given him insight.

of course, along the way he needed a trusted PR expert to help him. and he needed to LISTEN to that expert.

after that...if he still wants to address this publicly to get ahead of the story i guess he could. but he'd have been better prepared for the response, i assume.

the example i gave above assumed he would've already done this ^.

fuck you.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:44 AM

105. "nothing would ever be enough because all they wanted was blood."

there was no good outcome for him once the wolves were set loose.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 07:53 PM

117. "which is entirely and completely false"
In response to Reply # 105

but you wouldn't be able to blame women unless you say it.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:04 PM

45. "basically"

like, she had mark fuhrman on... twice.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:23 PM

27. "Black Man and a White Man and you already know"
In response to Reply # 0

Affleck got the last name and the pass. Nate Parker will be back,tell you something if he does a Hood film I bet he gets nominated.

double edge politics as it seems

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:42 PM

38. "the severity mentioned"
In response to Reply # 0

63% of white women voted for Trump...

clearly, they are capable of overlooking some extreme creeperism and sexual assault

hell, the women involved never accused him of "rape"

that R word is close to murder whereas non-violent sexual assault gets treated with slightly less apathy then garden variety assault

1.) severity
2.) lack of white women outrage
3.) extreme PR fumbles by Nate

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:57 PM

46. "yeah no. Trump was accused of rape. "
In response to Reply # 38

By ex-wife and 13 year old.

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/10/all-the-women-accusing-trump-of-rape-sexual-assault.html

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 03:25 PM

48. "Same basic reasoning as this:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://2e31c6ce92745830410f-2a288a7a916836054a29c43306f07189.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/QXP3N7z2j2_1407264172755.jpg

final_prospect82
Member since Mar 21st 2007
1358 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 04:53 PM

49. "severity of the cases"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-27-17 04:54 PM by final_prospect82

birth was a bomb at the box office and critically (I didn't enjoy it), Parker's performance wasn't impressive....

and yes there's also his relationships with the power brokers (either indirectly through his brother and friends or directly) or race

I'm going to take all of the former and push the latter off the side of the table. this is not the hill I will choose to fight this battle on and die

happiness is a mediocre standard for a middle class existence - S. Williams

I don't not like you because you have dumb ideas about the world, I don't like you because you have other people's dumb ideas about the world. - Rjcc

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 05:31 PM

51. "white folks wanted nate parker out the paint and yall fell for it. thats..."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 05:39 PM

52. "I don't think YT was really involved. This was largely an in-house"
In response to Reply # 51

black folk gender war. I didn't see alot of white folks really discussing this much at all. They seemed to just sort of shrug the whole thing off.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 06:00 PM

55. "Don't fooled they controlled the media, the agenda & the narrative..."
In response to Reply # 52

from day black folks just took the bait

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 11:31 AM

61. "No, the downhill slope started with the Deadline interview. "
In response to Reply # 52

It was something known prior to that. Dude had been working in Hollywood for years. They dug in and made it a national story. Deadline to NP was Hannibal Buress to Bill Cosby.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 01:20 AM

86. "Right. The Black attackers just played guard dog for white supremacy"
In response to Reply # 61
Wed Mar-01-17 01:23 AM by Boogie Stimuli

like a certain contingent has always done on some
"Massa said we ain't s'pose to 'sociate witchu!"

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:03 AM

97. "rjcc, lfresh and the VSB crew"
In response to Reply # 86

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 05:57 PM

54. "basically. n/m"

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 06:17 PM

56. "naw."

Nate Parker and Nat Turner present no challenge to whitey. Recall - they executed Turner and hundreds of slaves many of whom weren't involved in the failed uprising. And his story is taught in schools - that's where I learned about it. And Parker himself ain't a revolutionary. No need to put the movie down like that. Besides if whitey wanted him or the story silenced it wouldnt have screened at SUNDANCE (an incredibly white film festival). Hell, it wouldn't have been MADE (at least not in mainstream Hollywood) bc whitey financed the movie. Whitey has many other ways to silence revolutionaries. Letting make Hollywood movies and get press after winning awards at SUNDANCE and then spending millions of $ buying the rights ain't one of them.

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 12:37 AM

83. "I'll clear up your naivety here..."
In response to Reply # 56

>Recall - they executed Turner and hundreds of slaves many of
>whom weren't involved in the failed uprising.

Whites have executed many a man/woman who did
something significant which ultimately brought
about some sort of reform. Nat Turner is one
of those people. Referring to it as a "failed
uprising" is inaccurate. Resistance is just
that... you're either resistance or not. They
successfully resisted being enslaved.

>And his story is
>taught in schools - that's where I learned about it.

Consider yourself lucky, because most of us heard
nothing of it in school. What all did they tell
you about it?

>Parker himself ain't a revolutionary.

Are you sure about that? Tell us what you know about
the groups he's involved with and any programs he might
have spearheaded or be working with.

>Besides if whitey wanted him or the story
>silenced it wouldnt have screened at SUNDANCE (an incredibly
>white film festival). Hell, it wouldn't have been MADE (at
>least not in mainstream Hollywood) bc whitey financed the
>movie. Whitey has many other ways to silence revolutionaries.
>Letting make Hollywood movies and get press after winning
>awards at SUNDANCE and then spending millions of $ buying the
>rights ain't one of them.

I'll assume by "whitey" you mean Fox Searchlight.
If they really wanted to push the movie, it wouldn't
have been excluded from so many theaters (in the South,
no less). The best way to control the movie was to
buy it. That was a small price to pay in order to
protect the legacy of their beloved movie of the
same name from 1915... first major motion picture
in American cinema. Fox is owned by the same Rupert
Murdoch who gives shitstains like Bill O'Reilly
and Megyn Kelly a platform to spew their anti-Black
rhetoric, but you're having trouble making that
connection?

~
~
~
~
~

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 08:45 AM

60. "yup"

soulpsychodelicyde
12151 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 12:34 PM

62. "Christ."

White folks don't care about Nate Parker. Good grief.

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 12:35 PM

63. "I don't think its a coincidence about what movies they want to promote....."
In response to Reply # 62

and which ones they don't

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 01:21 PM

65. "they like Moonlight b/c they so skurred of your big black buck"
In response to Reply # 63

heterosexuality.

of course.

they like Fences b/c...uh...oh, b/c they want to return us to the time when all we could be is trash collectors and Negro League ball players.

they like Hidden Figures b/c...umm...hmmm...b/c. well, uh...b/c. oh it's...b/c the Black man's role in that is on the sideline. it's mostly about Black women being smarter than them. but...uh...i guess they still had that Jim Crow shit.

let's see...what other Black movies do they like? or did they like this year?

oh that's right...they liked that Nat Turner movie. the one they spent millions of dollars producing, and then they spent millions buying the distribution rights @ Sundance. and then they spent millions promoting it. but somehow they're skurred of it b/c Nat Turner's revolt was unsuccessful in that he and the others were captured and killed and many others were also killed. so scary for them. so they spent all that money on it. that totes makes sense. all of this makes good barbershop sense in a barbershop full of idiots.

fuck you.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 01:52 PM

66. "It was so neutered too. Like 'Get Out' was more subversive"
In response to Reply # 65
Tue Feb-28-17 01:52 PM by BigReg

>they spent millions promoting it. but somehow they're skurred
>of it b/c Nat Turner's revolt was unsuccessful in that he and
>the others were captured and killed and many others were also
>killed. so scary for them. so they spent all that money on
>it. that totes makes sense. all of this makes good
>barbershop sense in a barbershop full of idiots.

Good movie+well acted but that Hallmark Oprah movie sheen was through and through. For a slave uprising they killed like one white person on camera, lol.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 01:54 PM

67. "motherfucking DJANGO UNCHAINED is more subversive."
In response to Reply # 66
Tue Feb-28-17 01:57 PM by SoWhat

as i said before - when whitey wants a movie squashed it gets SQUASHED. it doesn't premiere at Sundance and then win awards there and get praised in mainstream press. it doesn't get Hollywood distribution. it doesn't get FINANCED BY WHITEY. if anything it gets financed on a shoestring budget maybe using credit cards. if it shows at a festival it's one we don't know unless we're deep into Black film. it is not screened at mainstream multiplexes. those movies exist - you have to be a film buff to know them. THIS. AIN'T. THAT.

fuck you.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 02:11 PM

68. "RE: motherfucking DJANGO UNCHAINED is more subversive."
In response to Reply # 67

No.
Django is a closeted white man's fantasy about Shaft In Slavery, with a White Savior.

Ain't shit subversive about that flick

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 02:14 PM

70. "did you see it?"
In response to Reply # 68
Tue Feb-28-17 02:15 PM by SoWhat

LOL

you do know the hero, a Black slave, kills all the white ppl and burns down massa's house at the end, right? AND HE GETS AWAY WITH IT. and saves his woman in the process.

THAT is more subversive than Birth of a Nation. the most subversive thing about the BOAN was the title.

fuck you.

kayru99
16105 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 02:41 PM

72. "Django was a damn cartoon"
In response to Reply # 70
Tue Feb-28-17 02:48 PM by kayru99

yes I've seen it.

That flick manages to be bad and offensive

The only black person in the film who wasn't a slack-jawed darkie, a big black buck, or a sex slave was the dude in a purple suit, with a monster penis and a moon walking horse.

Django is in NO WAY subversive. QT just needs to get banged out by a big black buck and get it over with

MEANWHILE BOAN shows how chattel slavery affected black families day to day existence, showed elements of African cultural retention and kind of slyly dealt with the origins of Black Christian revolutionary theology. Against the backdrop of an historical figure that most Americans know nothing about

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 03:42 PM

73. "k."
In response to Reply # 72

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 03:56 PM

74. "It's crazy how critical some folk are when it comes to BOAN"

"They only killed one white person"

Black folk were online lying about the film. Working overtime to get Black folk to boycott it.

Then turn around and celebrate Django like it's a masterpiece when it's a fucking white mans joke about slavery.

They really did a number on us.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 04:06 PM

76. "well i do that b/c i'm a double agent."
In response to Reply # 74

fuck you.

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 04:27 PM

78. "I SEE YOU THROWING SUBLIMINALS AT ME NIGGA."
In response to Reply # 74
Tue Feb-28-17 04:38 PM by BigReg

>"They only killed one white person"

DON'T MAKE ME HOP IN THE BOOTH (workplace bathroom stall) LAY DOWN THIS BEAT (loads up youtube clip) AND SPIT THESE BARS BEFORE MY BOSS WALKS IN.

Saw that bitch the first day motherfucker, I couldda even seen that shit for free in screening but I was like, 'Nah, Imma support em with currency'.

I said it was a good movie. Great? Fences, Moonlight. Those are GREAT.

Sometimes we gotta stop fawning over things without just because WE did it and there is a 'message'. Considering 2016's banner year for black movies it wouldn't have made the cut. Shouldda had a better chance to, though. Hence this post.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 07:45 AM

90. "Not just you.. it was all over the internet comment sections"
In response to Reply # 78

and on FB.

Somnus
Member since Jun 25th 2012
3557 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 08:01 PM

82. "RE: Django was a damn cartoon = FACTS!"

mofos in here actually tryna be on some ol'-'well, they GAVE y'all that at least, wtf more you want? sheesh!'-type shit.

A FUCKING SHAME IT IS! SMMFH

The ULTIMATE negation of everything.

The space between despair and orgasm is hard to fill ~ Maron

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 07:44 PM

81. "You're blatantly lying again."
In response to Reply # 70

>you do know the hero, a Black slave, kills all the white people

He did not kill all the white people.
His white savior killed the most important
and powerful white person in the movie
(Dicaprio's character).

~
~
~
~
~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:15 AM

100. "like you can tell me shit about SHIT. Like I read your bullshit replies."
In response to Reply # 81

http://i.imgur.com/ccZ2u.gif

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:16 AM

101. "I saw the movie, and what I said is true. Just own your lie. n/m"
In response to Reply # 100

~
~
~
~
~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:19 AM

102. "Omg. Still trying."
In response to Reply # 101

https://media.giphy.com/media/1PgPvWLfXGkCY/giphy.gif

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:27 AM

103. "Omg. Still deflecting."
In response to Reply # 102

~
~
~
~
~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:29 AM

104. "Wordswordswordswords"
In response to Reply # 103

https://i.makeagif.com/media/12-06-2015/xb2feE.gif

fuck you.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 04:47 PM

80. "I think "Hollywood" had Buyer's remorse."

After #Oscarsowhite the blackest movie at Sundance was bound to be scooped up. He road that wave initially.

But I think it turned out over time people realized it wasn't that great of a movie.

And there were some chinks in the NP Armor.

And once they did some due diligence the media fell into an easy narrative of horny black man took advantage of helpless white woman and got away with it at the exact time rapist were making headlines for just getting slaps on the wrist.

That same media who propped up NP initially did him in.

If the Movie was great he probably could have survived the onslaught.
But apparently it wasn't.

Live by the media, die by the media.

It's not just pure racism. But racism (the easy sterotyping of NP) definitely played a role IMHOP.

>heterosexuality.
>
>of course.
>
>they like Fences b/c...uh...oh, b/c they want to return us to
>the time when all we could be is trash collectors and Negro
>League ball players.
>
>they like Hidden Figures b/c...umm...hmmm...b/c. well,
>uh...b/c. oh it's...b/c the Black man's role in that is on
>the sideline. it's mostly about Black women being smarter
>than them. but...uh...i guess they still had that Jim Crow
>shit.
>
>let's see...what other Black movies do they like? or did they
>like this year?
>
>oh that's right...they liked that Nat Turner movie. the one
>they spent millions of dollars producing, and then they spent
>millions buying the distribution rights @ Sundance. and then
>killed. so scary for them. so they spent all that money on
>it. that totes makes sense. all of this makes good
>barbershop sense in a barbershop full of idiots.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 12:58 AM

85. "I'll clear up some more of your ignorance and naivety here..."

>they like Hidden Figures b/c...umm...hmmm...b/c. well,
>uh...b/c. oh it's...b/c the Black man's role in that is on
>the sideline. it's mostly about Black women being smarter
>than them. but...uh...i guess they still had that Jim Crow
>shit.

No, because it was about Black people seeking white
validation and there was the good white person who
gave it to them. Plus Kevin Costner was in it,
and that's the same guy who depicted Black people
so horribly in that Black White movie, so no
surprises there.

>let's see...what other Black movies do they like? or did they
>like this year?
>
>oh that's right...they liked that Nat Turner movie. the one
>they spent millions of dollars producing, and then they spent
>millions buying the distribution rights @ Sundance. and then
>killed.

The millions to buy it was nothing to protect the
legacy of the name of the movie that first had the
name. Speaking of "big black buck", that movie played
on the fear of Black men raping the precious white
woman and depicted the KKK hunting him down and
killing him. It created the burning cross image the
KKK love so much. The KKK were the heroes. It was
the first major American motion picture. All of this
on the strength of the "big black buck" myth.
Disgusting that you make a joke of that, but I expect
it at from you at this point... so you're probably not
wrong about Moonlight. I haven't seen it, but I digress.
They bought it to have control over it.
The marketing was poor, especially considering that it
was left out of so many key theaters, particularly
in the south, where the impact could have been
revolutionary.

~
~
~
~
~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:00 AM

96. "You? Clear som'n up for ME? YOU??"
In response to Reply # 85

https://media0.giphy.com/media/XOywjQnU8R89q/200w.gif

fuck you.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:03 AM

98. "Most definitely. You're completely confused, and it's obvious. n/m"
In response to Reply # 96

~
~
~
~
~

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:12 AM

99. "YOU."
In response to Reply # 98

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/0e/e1/fa/0ee1fa63ec47868f48e792de27bf2a39.gif

fuck you.

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 12:41 PM

64. "And yet, there were posters up trolling the film in Hollywood"

stop giving white folk credit. Nothing is beneath them.

soulpsychodelicyde
12151 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 04:37 PM

79. "This makes no sense."
In response to Reply # 64

But cooketh on.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 01:28 AM

87. "Yes it does"
In response to Reply # 79

A white dude made the poster I saw, so how does
that not make sense in response to you
saying white folks don't care?

~
~
~
~
~

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 07:35 AM

89. "That was for an entirely different reason tho"
In response to Reply # 87
Wed Mar-01-17 07:38 AM by BigReg

>A white dude made the poster I saw, so how does
>that not make sense in response to you
>saying white folks don't care?

That was an alt-righter trying to provoke. Id argue he didnt care about Nate or even Nat, he just wanted to pull the 'LIBERALS ARE HYPOCRITES' card. Id post the link to his site up (he's doctored tv/movie posters to make trump a hero along his own make america great gear) but I dont wanna give the piece of shit any more shine. Its not as if a women's activist group, etc...put it up. Shieet, wouldnt be surprised if the slime had them posters printed up BEFORE anyone knew about the controversy, lol

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:12 AM

92. "all those right wing sites were mad"
In response to Reply # 89

and all these other sites had think pieces on Nate Parker. All you have to do is google.

Like Boogie said, the guard dogs did the rest. Black folk were more than happy to go in on this film and did a pretty good job convincing woke folk to stay away for stupid reasons

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:16 AM

110. ""transcripts implying rape are a stupid reason to not support him" - you"
In response to Reply # 92

Black folk were
>more than happy to go in on this film and did a pretty good
>job convincing woke folk to stay away for stupid reasons

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:02 PM

121. "Nah, that's all you homie... sounding dumb as shit"
In response to Reply # 110

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:38 AM

93. "The name "Birth of a Nation" matters to white supremacists"
In response to Reply # 89

It's a very important piece of history to them.
To think otherwise is what makes no sense.
I'm not even sure how anything you said even
disagrees with that lol.

~
~
~
~
~

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:50 AM

94. "Its early dammit"
In response to Reply # 93

I thought we were debating at the "liberal white media" (c) 45 going hard/not going hard on the movie, but I see your point!

Volley on!

>It's a very important piece of history to them.
>To think otherwise is what makes no sense.
>I'm not even sure how anything you said even
>disagrees with that lol.

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:51 AM

95. "lol"
In response to Reply # 94

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 12:42 AM

84. "Make no mistake the name "Birth of a Nation" MATTERS to them"

First major motion picture in the US, screened in the
whitehouse, depicted the evil Black man ready to rape
the white woman, KKK comes to the rescue to kill these
niggers, the burning cross comes from this movie, etc.
Now you make a slave revolt film of the same name where
the white people are the villains (which is actually
reality) and the Black man kills the white folks?
Oh they definitely care about that.

~
~
~
~
~

mellowboogie
Member since Jun 26th 2006
3608 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 08:33 AM

59. "I don't see how anyone can compare these cases based on their severity"
In response to Reply # 0

come on... i mean Casey sounds like a total douche loser perv who uses his privilege to swing his dick around

But an accusation of vulgar talk and stroking someones back in bed is very different to an accusation of rape.

'Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo'

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 03:58 PM

75. "I thought this would come up sooner. "
In response to Reply # 59

The difference I would think is one seems serial and more likely to have occurred in my opinion.

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:54 PM

120. "one was acquited the other settled ooc etc..wtf?"
In response to Reply # 59

>come on... i mean Casey sounds like a total douche loser perv
>who uses his privilege to swing his dick around
>
>But an accusation of vulgar talk and stroking someones back in
>bed is very different to an accusation of rape.
>
>

kayru99
16105 posts
Tue Feb-28-17 02:12 PM

69. "white people were equally nonchalant about Nate's situation"
In response to Reply # 0

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 01:30 AM

88. "They did. They just didn't have to express it b/c their Black guard dogs"
In response to Reply # 69

did the dirty work for them.

~
~
~
~
~

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:07 AM

91. "Shit was sad man"
In response to Reply # 88

We were pushing folk out the way to shit in this movie. How many Hidden Figure think pieces did they have challenging the accuracy of the film?

OKP and VSB put in work.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:45 AM

106. "asking me to be more pro-black than anti-rape is very sketchy"
In response to Reply # 0

now, had the argument been "if Casey Affleck raped someone and Nate Parker was just a creep, things would go the same way", you could maybe play the race card

but the black guy probably raped someone and the white guy probably didnt rape anyone, so it's hard for me to see this as Hollywood trying to hold a brother back

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:47 AM

107. "the black guy probably raped someone? smh..."
In response to Reply # 106

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 09:54 AM

108. "IKR?! these smart-dumb negros on this site never cease to amaze me"
In response to Reply # 107

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:10 AM

109. "I wasnt there. but Im all for believing the woman's claims"
In response to Reply # 107
Wed Mar-01-17 10:22 AM by atruhead

you're going to rebuttal "he was acquitted"

Im going to rebuttal "so was George Zimmerman"

also, taking advantage of a woman and not stopping your homeboy from joining in...close enough to rape if a woman was under the influence of anything

so yeah, good luck defending all of this

Boogie Stimuli
14018 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:20 AM

111. "White men have a history of getting off for killing Black ppl"
In response to Reply # 109

Black men don't have a history of getting off
for raping white women. As a matter of fact,
there's a very long history of us being killed
soley off the accusation without anyone caring
whether we did it or not. Eerily, this is what
the original Birth of a Nation movie was about
(about as eerie as you condemning him on a "probably")
Clumsy that yall wanna talk about anything race-
related without talking about the history that
creates the conditions... refusing to connect
the dots.

~
~
~
~
~

kayru99
16105 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:22 AM

112. "&quot;so was george zimmerman&quot; is a really REALLY dumb reply"
Wed Mar-01-17 10:25 AM by kayru99

and an absolute slap in the face of Trayvon Martin's family and memory, let alone all the other black victims of extra-judicial violence by white people in America.

Honestly, it's legit ghoulish, considering American history.

And logically, it's just not sound thinking, at all.
Not coming at you specifically, but seeing people parrot that reply as if it means anything, at all, is infuriating.

One person who probably was guilty was found innocent, so therefore all people found innocent are suspect?

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:25 AM

113. "not all people. People with the evidence against Nate Parker"
In response to Reply # 112

>One person who probably was guilty was found innocent, so
>therefore all people found innocent are suspect?

kayru99
16105 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 10:26 AM

114. "Uh-huh."
In response to Reply # 113
Wed Mar-01-17 10:29 AM by kayru99

Parker's case was waaaaaaay more contentious than the Martin case. By a lot. AND a decade old by the time it became "controversial".

But whatever, tho.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 01:09 PM

115. "That wouldn't have been my rebuttal at all. If I were interested"

in getting into the facts of the case again my rebuttal would be:

1. You have the account of three black men (including the guy who didn't participate) were consistent. So it was solely based on the word of one white woman who told inconsistent accounts.

2. This sole witness was dealing with a life long battle with mental illness and depression that pre-dates her involvement with Nate Parker and that her mental illness included a psychosis where she falsely accused family members of crimes such as kidnapping and had delusions she was Satan and God and thought god was talking to her through her radio.

3. This sole witness also accused all of the Black Student Union at Penn State's campus of harassing her.

4. And then there is the long history in this country of black men being falsely accused of sexual crimes against white women.

I believe that Nate Parker engaged in consensual drunken sex with an emotionally vulnerable and unstable person. I think that was poor judgement on his part, but not a crime (and I thank my dad for those awkward conversations about certain situations I want to avoid).

I can't say I know that with any certain, but if anyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, it might be the brother who was found not guilty by an almost white jury who reviewed these set of fact.

>you're going to rebuttal "he was acquitted"
>
>Im going to rebuttal "so was George Zimmerman"
>
>also, taking advantage of a woman and not stopping your
>homeboy from joining in...close enough to rape if a woman was
>under the influence of anything
>
>so yeah, good luck defending all of this

legsdiamond
79616 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 08:07 PM

119. "Zimmerman? Gotdamn you are dumb. "

BlackLex
Charter member
552 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 07:05 PM

116. "Parker starred in Beyond the Lights..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-01-17 07:11 PM by BlackLex

And has appeared in several other films...the timing of this controversy is worth interrogating.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Mar-01-17 07:53 PM

118. "everybody who saw Beyond the Lights in the theater"
In response to Reply # 116

stand up.

and before that, he was a dude who was in a few movies. he was not fucking FAMOUS NATE PARKER

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Thu Mar-02-17 02:04 PM

122. "Must have forgotten about Aflak being a son of the confederacy"
In response to Reply # 0

Remember Skip Gates' suspension?

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Mar-02-17 04:01 PM

123. "Come on, lol. He didn't even know about that and was so ashamed"
In response to Reply # 122

of it he damn near got Skip Gates in trouble with PBS over it.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13129685 Previous topic | Next topic