Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13129472

Subject: "Shaq vs JaVale McGee: Bullying or can't take a joke?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Shaq vs JaVale McGee: Bullying or can't take a joke?"

Shaq's been featuring JaVale on his blooper reel for years. Going extra hard on him. JaVale has finally had enough and expressed his frustration at Shaq. Shaq doubles down on him, threatens him

Steve Kerr and Durant are sticking up for JaVale. Durant basically said Shaq sucked and he was just a big body.

Personally I think Shaq is dead wrong. To just gone in on somebody like that when you have power is messed up. And he's messing with JaVale's money too

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/2/24/14734934/javale-mcgee-shaquille-oneal-warriors-tnt-turner-beef-reached-out

Summary of beef:
https://youtu.be/LMocCs8wcEc

Jalen Rose's take:
https://youtu.be/uJNj6On3-nk

JaVale Shaqtin a fool compilation:
https://youtu.be/YUGdmnMxe0E

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Shaq looks bad here
Feb 26th 2017
Don't mess with another man/wwoman's ability to make money
Feb 26th 2017
i'd agree if he wasn't actually doing
Feb 27th 2017
Shaq is picking on JaVale but it's hilarious
Feb 26th 2017
did you see the Steve Kerr quote..
Feb 26th 2017
RE: did you see the Steve Kerr quote..
Feb 26th 2017
      If teams are scouting based on blooper reel segments, that's on them
Feb 26th 2017
           That's not how the world works.
Feb 26th 2017
           You lost me. What nepotism got to do with anything?
Feb 26th 2017
           you're kinda proving the point
Feb 26th 2017
           The team definitely affects a players production & professionalism
Feb 26th 2017
           JaVale isn't good enough to ignore the hate from Shaq
Feb 27th 2017
                ^^^
Feb 27th 2017
If you knew anything at all about comedy you'd know that you always punc...
Feb 27th 2017
Bully and
Feb 26th 2017
started out funny but gone way overboard now
Feb 26th 2017
still funny when it's occasional
Feb 26th 2017
Shaq wildin!
Feb 26th 2017
Two big goofy ass 7 footers beefin.
Feb 26th 2017
Shaq's a bitch for not understanding
Feb 27th 2017
Shaq took it too far. It seemed personal for him a while ago.
Feb 27th 2017
Shaq's petty as hell
Feb 27th 2017
Shaq is soft. If the world was full of men his size, he might not have
Feb 27th 2017
shaq's response was terrible
Feb 27th 2017
Punching down is ok if
Feb 27th 2017
      yes, unless hes disabled, wtf lol
Feb 27th 2017
           Nah it's a bad look and it's wrong
Feb 27th 2017
Gen X vs Millenial
Feb 27th 2017
Durant was straight up #AlternativeFax on this
Feb 27th 2017
      lol
Feb 27th 2017
Shaq's an idiot for threatening McGee publicly.
Feb 27th 2017
it's corny and played more than anything. much like shaq himself.
Feb 27th 2017
Shaq doubled down after JaVale called him a coon
Feb 27th 2017
dang, i wasnt aware of that too
Feb 27th 2017
I tend to view “jokes” based on the reaction of the joker when
Feb 27th 2017
What ?
Feb 27th 2017
on the basketball Court no one on the Warriors seeing Diesel
Feb 27th 2017
Is there any similarity between this and the CRich v Bin Wars?
Feb 27th 2017
mcgee, durant, kerr all clapping back @ shaq
Feb 27th 2017
LMAO! Well played!!!
Feb 27th 2017
shaq doin the mostq
Feb 27th 2017

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18639 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Shaq looks bad here"
In response to Reply # 0

Shaq has gone way overboard on clowning McGee over the years. McGee is justified in saying something back. Shaq getting mad and going with the tough talk was a bad look. Shaq's too damn old to be tough talking on Twitter like that.

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Don't mess with another man/wwoman's ability to make money"
In response to Reply # 0

Shaq is affecting that man's pockets, he need to go sit down somewhere

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "i'd agree if he wasn't actually doing "
In response to Reply # 2

all the stuff he was clowning lol

he was hurting his own money more than shaq was...

if gms are too stupid to think for themselves...play less boneheaded

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

kevlar skully
Member since Mar 13th 2007
6049 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:28 PM

3. "Shaq is picking on JaVale but it's hilarious"
In response to Reply # 0

The whole situation has been comedy for years. The way Shaq yells "JaVale! McGee!" Is too funny.

How is he fucking with JaVale's money though?

Dstl1
Charter member
56232 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:34 PM

4. "did you see the Steve Kerr quote.."
In response to Reply # 3

people who don't know dude have an idea already about him. Those shows make him look like some kind of buffoon who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 06:41 PM

5. "RE: did you see the Steve Kerr quote.."
In response to Reply # 4

Kerr pointed out that TNT's popular "Shaqtin' A Fool" segment had actually hurt McGee's reputation around the league, and even changed how Kerr thought about the nine-year veteran.

"You're in this position where somebody on national TV is making fun of you night after night, it's not the greatest thing for your reputation," Kerr said. "I can tell you, I had a preconceived notion of JaVale before he got here that turned out to be totally false. And a lot of that was because of what goes on with Shaq's 'Shaqtin' A Fool' thing."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/shaquille-oneal-javale-mcgee-twitter-kevin-durant-steve-kerr/16ztejt4nj8u01w021vm1136wu

______

the media has a huge impact on perception. Take for example what you think of Gerald Ford. Because of pop culture (Chevy Chase on SNL, the simpsons version of him) we think of him as a lumbering and bumbling fool, but everything about him was actually a graceful athlete ... allcity football player, had opps to go to the NFL and everything.

------

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 07:06 PM

6. "If teams are scouting based on blooper reel segments, that's on them "
In response to Reply # 5

I'd expect better from Kerr, but JaVale is doing good now because he's on a professional & contending team. Any other situation, he'd be the goofball from Shaqtin

MEAT
22257 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 07:09 PM

7. "That's not how the world works."
In response to Reply # 6

Daily people are getting and maintaining jobs due to nepotism, but somehow you feel the NBA should be immune to the rest of how all humanity is?

------

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 07:54 PM

9. "You lost me. What nepotism got to do with anything? "
In response to Reply # 7

Some guys just need to be in the right situation to meet their potential, JaVale finally got that. I'd expect general managers & scouts would do their own research on players and not form strong opinions based on Shaq's blooper segments but I guess not.

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 08:36 PM

11. "you're kinda proving the point"
In response to Reply # 6

it's not just a couple blooper segments. for years he's been CONSTANTLY on those blooper segments being made to look like a fool as if he's the only one making mistakes. you just called him the "goofball from Shaqtin" as if that's all he is. you really think that GM's and coaches in the league don't think that too that don't really know him? obviously he can play or he wouldn't be in the NBA, but to think that the Shaqtin segments don't affect peoples view of him is a little naive. he's not doing good now because he's on a good team. if he was a bum, being on the Warriors wouldn't suddenly make him a good player. if anything, him playing well now proves that he could ball all along.

kevlar skully
6049 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:10 PM

14. "The team definitely affects a players production & professionalism "
In response to Reply # 11

>it's not just a couple blooper segments. for years he's been
>CONSTANTLY on those blooper segments being made to look like a
>fool as if he's the only one making mistakes. you just called
>him the "goofball from Shaqtin" as if that's all he is. you
>really think that GM's and coaches in the league don't think
>that too that don't really know him?

JaVale do be Shaqtin though. So do James Harden, but he leads his team to wins.

obviously he can play or
>he wouldn't be in the NBA, but to think that the Shaqtin
>segments don't affect peoples view of him is a little naive.
>he's not doing good now because he's on a good team. if he
>was a bum, being on the Warriors wouldn't suddenly make him a
>good player. if anything, him playing well now proves that he
>could ball all along.

No one said he was a bum. He's a physically gifted player who probably hasn't taken the game as serious since joining a championship contending franchise. Player's roles matter & who they play with matters. McGee is in the perfect situation for both himself and the Warriors.

I mean, JR Smith on the Cavs wouldn't be as effective a player if he didn't have LeBron leading him.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:33 AM

20. "JaVale isn't good enough to ignore the hate from Shaq"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Feb-27-17 09:35 AM by Cocobrotha2

He isn't on the Warriors because he's good... he's on the Warriors because he's big, athletic and CHEAP (veteran minimum, NOT guaranteed). That's after making roughly $40 million on his previous contract (4 years).

He may have been overpaid on his previous contract but he may be out of the league next year if he doesn't show himself to be useful this season. He's 29, 7' tall and athletic, so he should have several more years of being a rotational big in the league but it certainly hurts his chances of staying in the league if Shaq is highlighting every wrong move he makes for the rest of the league to see.

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 20

Deandre Jordan and D12 used to be a constant visitor to shaqtin but he/they just wasnt as much a moron for as long...and they actually started to contribute to their teams...if he was doing right...other teams wouldnt have mattered bc he would have been resigned

McGee did all those things and even before shaqtin...there have been tons of blooper reels...he earned it

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44846 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 02:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "If you knew anything at all about comedy you'd know that you always punc..."
In response to Reply # 3

And/or couch more biting material with self deprecating levity.

The fact that Snaq has basically made JM a long term whipping boy is just plain fucked up.

Shaq is way over the line from a personal and professional standpoint.

Hell if that exact same exchange took place here in GD with both people being mere screen names you and ten others would be calling Snaq all kinds of crazy and "off" and all that.

Lurkmode
Member since May 07th 2011
5188 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 07:18 PM

8. "Bully and"
In response to Reply # 0

not funny.

---------------------------
Signature

jrocc
Charter member
6506 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 08:30 PM

10. "started out funny but gone way overboard now"
In response to Reply # 0

especially once Shaq said he'd leave him alone and then brought it back and basically made the whole thing about Javale. people don't realize that this has been like 5 years of Shaq roasting this guy. i have no issue with 'Shaqtin' or 'Come On Man' or any of those kinds of segments, but it definitely feels like they're antagonizing Javale. Jalen Rose had a good point that if you focused on any one player like that you could find just as much stuff to make them look bad.

sndesai1
Member since Feb 02nd 2013
1229 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 08:47 PM

12. "still funny when it's occasional"
In response to Reply # 0

but shaq making fun of javale (& dwight) kinda became stale and started to veer into him just being a dick rather than actually being amusing

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 09:42 PM

13. "Shaq wildin!"
In response to Reply # 0

But I ain't gon' lie. Dem shits funny as hell. More times den not, it be the coaches reactions that have me dyin the most.

That perpetual *da fuk?* face.

Good on the lil homey for clappin back.
Honorable mention: KD licked NUFF shots....lol!

Shaq need ta gwan'n fallback on this one.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Beezo
Charter member
27560 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:36 PM

15. "Two big goofy ass 7 footers beefin. "
In response to Reply # 0

Shaq has always been a clown. Feomnthe jump, I didn't like it when TNT added him to their staff.

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 02:21 AM

16. "Shaq's a bitch for not understanding"
In response to Reply # 0

because anytime someone on the show calls the deliberate fouling of terrible free throw shooters "Hack-A-Shaq" he gets really pissed off.

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 07:19 AM

18. "Shaq took it too far. It seemed personal for him a while ago."
In response to Reply # 0

Assuming that's not the case,but when you repeatedly go in on someone on a national stage...that's the impression it leaves. It stopped being funny a while ago.

I expect Turner to tell him to chill now.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Cocobrotha2
Charter member
10884 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:15 AM

19. "Shaq's petty as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

He mostly gets away with it because he comes across as a jokester but he held petty grudges during his career and he's doing the same now on TV.

If a player tries to clap back for being put on Shaqtin a Fool, Shaq will continue to focus on that player until the player either "shows proper respect" (i.e kisses his ass) or he stays off the radar long enough for Shaq to forget about him

I think JaVale's problem is that he IS pretty damn goofy but I believe he also tried to clap back at Shaq at first. So Shaq has ample ammunition and he uses it every chance he gets because he's got a grudge against JaVale.

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:43 AM

23. "Shaq is soft. If the world was full of men his size, he might not have "
In response to Reply # 0

enough heart to come outside his house.

Does that mean his clowning off Javale is way off base? NO.
But Shaq is just too sensitive to try to bully anyone, as a man I don't respect it.

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:45 AM

24. "shaq's response was terrible"
In response to Reply # 0

i'd consider shaqtin bullying if he didnt do ALL of those things, they were in high school, or if he ever had a good rep even before he became a regular (he didn't)

KD's statements were moronic

i think it's time to give him a break unless GSW loses their management of him

Lurkmode
5188 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:55 AM

30. "Punching down is ok if"
In response to Reply # 24

JaVale doing all those things ?

>i'd consider shaqtin bullying if he didnt do ALL of those
>things, they were in high school, or if he ever had a good rep
>even before he became a regular (he didn't)
>
>KD's statements were moronic
>
>i think it's time to give him a break unless GSW loses their
>management of him

Signature

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:23 AM

31. "yes, unless hes disabled, wtf lol"
In response to Reply # 30

Shaq criticizing anybody is punching down...so yes

Lurkmode
5188 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:17 PM

35. "Nah it's a bad look and it's wrong"
In response to Reply # 31

>Shaq criticizing anybody is punching down...so yes

Not really, Shaq criticizing someone on the same level is not punching down.

Anyway the moms got involved so it's over.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/02/javale-mcgee-mom-goes-off-shaq-bullying-son

Signature

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:51 AM

25. "Gen X vs Millenial "
In response to Reply # 0

Shaq is carryin it like gen xers do
and Mcgee and Durant reacted millennially

Shaq is 'wrong'
Durant is wrong

=======================================
Coolin...

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:53 AM

26. "Durant was straight up #AlternativeFax on this"
In response to Reply # 25

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:00 AM

28. "lol"
In response to Reply # 26

=======================================
Coolin...

Numba_33
Charter member
19333 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 09:54 AM

27. "Shaq's an idiot for threatening McGee publicly."
In response to Reply # 0

While I think Durant wasn't complete right in questioning Shaq's pedigree as a player, it was interesting that he mentioned twice that Shaq has a policeman's badge, which I think is tied into that idiotic threat Shaq made on twitter. Does Shaq still have that honorary badge? I thought he gave it up some years ago for some reason, but I could be wrong.

It would probably serve McGee better to ignore Shaq and prove himself on the court since that's ultimately the best way to look better in the situation.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 10:54 AM

29. "it's corny and played more than anything. much like shaq himself."
In response to Reply # 0

he's been an awful addition to Inside the NBA

<--- Big Baller World Order

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 11:56 AM

32. "Shaq doubled down after JaVale called him a coon"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-27-17 11:57 AM by auragin_boi

Some players on these get a 'lil' sensitive but most can laugh at themselves when they make a mistake. JaVale's ALWAYS been extra sensitive about it and actually call Shaq a coon during an interview a few years back. So Shaq doubled down and has said on the show that he won't stop until JaVale apologizes.

I mean, it's a comedy segment and if you don't want to be featured, don't have so many highlight reel bloopers. Some of those are plays someone in the NBA shouldn't be making on a regular basis but JaVale actually MAKES those plays consistently (A lot less this season admittedly though).

But at the minimum, don't get indignant. Laugh it off and move on. This reminds me of Denzel's response to the Uncle Meme. You all in your feelings over a lil teasing...of something that's FACTUAL. It only heightens the impact. You laugh it off and find humor and flattery in the fact that people take the time to pay attention to you, then you look a lot better and these things die off faster.

Shaq's too grown to do most of what he does but it's for entertainment purposes. JaVale should have BEEN laughed it off.

But instead he went all..."Shaqtin' a coon" on air.

MiracleRic
45200 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:07 PM

34. "dang, i wasnt aware of that too"
In response to Reply # 32

i think shaq can be a clown but he's at least clowning on purpose most of the time

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44846 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:48 PM

36. "I tend to view “jokes” based on the reaction of the joker when"

He/she is told that they’re crossing a line, the person they’re joking with isn’t ok with it, or when the person they’re joking with takes a more serious tact.

If you’re cracking on me and I take it the wrong way and spit back something harder, the response from someone who is sincerely *just* breaking balls isn’t to double down.

It’s more along the lines of “Yo it’s just jokes, I didn’t mean any offense”.

But if the response is “oh you can’t take a joke? You a bum anyways” or “man nobody can take a joke these days” or some shit like that… that’s the tone of a bully. Someone who just wants to get their licks in, doesn’t care if the person they’re jabbing is on board, and doesn’t want to be accountable.

Plus when one person is going in heavy on one person in particular it’s kind of hard to dismiss it as “just jokes”.

There’s also the relationship element. If we’re cool and you say some shit I’m more likely to accept the crack for what it is, but if we’re definitively not cool or I don’t know you like that you could spit the same bars and it’s a violation because there’s no context.

All I know is where I’m from you don’t crack on people are you aren’t cool with and/or don’t know like that or it can quickly become a problem.

All in all I’d say Snaq is definitely extra even with JM’s prior statement, particularly at the point of spitting out threats. Everything else aside he’s ridiculously unprofessional right now and as an elder statesman he’s failing by any reasonable metric to set an example for this generation.

Lurkmode
5188 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 02:03 PM

39. "What ?"

>Some players on these get a 'lil' sensitive but most can
>laugh at themselves when they make a mistake. JaVale's ALWAYS
>been extra sensitive about it and actually call Shaq a coon
>during an interview a few years back. So Shaq doubled down
>and has said on the show that he won't stop until JaVale
>apologizes.

If Shaq can dish it out he should be able to take it ?

>
>I mean, it's a comedy segment and if you don't want to be
>featured, don't have so many highlight reel bloopers. Some of
>those are plays someone in the NBA shouldn't be making on a
>regular basis but JaVale actually MAKES those plays
>consistently (A lot less this season admittedly though).

Play a perfect game all the time ?

>But at the minimum, don't get indignant. Laugh it off and
>move on. This reminds me of Denzel's response to the Uncle
>Meme. You all in your feelings over a lil teasing...of
>something that's FACTUAL. It only heightens the impact. You
>laugh it off and find humor and flattery in the fact that
>people take the time to pay attention to you, then you look a
>lot better and these things die off faster.

Laugh it off for years ?

>Shaq's too grown to do most of what he does but it's for
>entertainment purposes. JaVale should have BEEN laughed it
>off.
>
>But instead he went all..."Shaqtin' a coon" on air.

Shaq is Ruckus he called it right.

Signature

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 12:20 PM

33. "on the basketball Court no one on the Warriors seeing Diesel"
In response to Reply # 0

and I roll with Shaq, it went a bit too far however MCgee is a good player who has underachieved. Kevin durant can't talk about nobody though he is a great player he wasn't the leader in OKC and for all he did in Oklahoma and still get called a CupCake?

Steve Kerr rode coattails to rings period.

SHaq speaking like alot of cats do at that Bum Ball being played now going for the NBA and how only two teams are sure bets at some Jewelry with San Antonio close.

but the NBA today is bad Product on a whole. you got great individiual talent, hoever most of these teams are hot garbage.soft teams on a whole.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:51 PM

37. "Is there any similarity between this and the CRich v Bin Wars?"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember the time I realized that they REALLY had beef lol
I felt bad throwing in fat jokes after that.

Flash80
Member since Jan 03rd 2007
6953 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 01:54 PM

38. "mcgee, durant, kerr all clapping back @ shaq"
In response to Reply # 0

dubs with a 3-1 advantage.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 08:09 PM

41. "LMAO! Well played!!!"
In response to Reply # 38

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 04:43 PM

40. "shaq doin the mostq"
In response to Reply # 0

how bout a highlight reel of Shaq @ the free throw line?

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Lobby General Discussion topic #13129472 Previous topic | Next topic