Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13128972

Subject: "Texas policy forces transgender teen boy to wrestle against female athle..." Previous topic | Next topic
mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10145 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 10:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Texas policy forces transgender teen boy to wrestle against female athle..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas-policy-forces-transgender-teen-boy-to-wrestle-against-female-athletes/ar-AAnibBy?li=BBnb7Kz

On Friday, Mack Beggs, an undefeated high school wrestler from Texas, will compete at the girl’s state tournament in suburban Houston.

But unlike the rest of the teen’s female competitors, Beggs, 17, is a boy.

For more than a year, the teen, who was born a girl, has been transitioning from female to male with the help of testosterone therapy.

Beggs’ participation — and dominance — in the girls’ league has spurred consternation among some in the Dallas region, including a lawsuit filed by an unhappy parent, who argued that if Beggs identifies as a boy he should have to wrestle other boys.

And Beggs would, his family told the Dallas Morning News, if he could, but the rules won’t allow it.

That’s because last year, some 95 percent of Texas superintendents voted in favor of an amendment to the constitution of the University Interscholastic League, the state’s governing body for public school athletics, that requires student athletes to compete as the gender listed on their birth certificates, the Dallas Morning News reported at the time.

When the referendum ballot was approved (586-32, with 2 non-responses), critics called it a “horrible policy” that would discriminate against transgender athletes who were unable to afford the complicated maneuvering that goes into legally changing one’s birth certificate through the state.

Now, as word of Beggs’ case has gained increased publicity, experts say the policy’s likely intention — to keep transgender female athletes transitioning from male to female from having a hormonal leg up on competitors — is backfiring.

Some of Beggs’ female competitors forfeited their matches in the regional meet, reported the Associated Press, out of apparent fear of injury because the 17-year-old is taking testosterone that could create a physical disadvantage.

That was the main argument laid out in a lawsuit filed in early February against the UIL by Jim Baudhuin, a local attorney and wrestling parent at a competing high school who sought to have Beggs barred from competing against girls at the state tournament and against other boys as long as he is taking testosterone, reported the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

But Texas Education Code and UIL rules allow the use of steroids if “dispensed, prescribed, delivered and administered by a medical practitioner for a valid medical purpose,” reported the AP. Nancy Beggs, the teen’s grandmother and legal guardian, has said the UIL reviewed Mack Beggs’ medical records and approved him for competition prior to the last two seasons.

After two wrestlers forfeited their matches at the regional competition last weekend, Nancy Beggs told the Morning News those actions were about “bias, hatred and ignorance,” and that her grandson and at least one of the other wrestlers “know each other and they are not happy about this.”

Beggs wrestles in the 110-pound class, where his record is 52-0.

It was the parents and coaches, Mack Beggs wrote on social media, that were making waves, not the kids.

“The thing is, we want to wrestle each other. I feel so sick and disgusted by the discrimination not by the kids, the PARENTS AND COACHES,” the teen wrote on Facebook. “These kids don’t care who you put in front of them to wrestle. We just want to WRESTLE. THEY are taking that away from me and from the people I’m competing with.”

Since then, Baudhuin (whose daughter is friends with Beggs, wrestles in a different weight class and disapproved of his lawsuit) has altered his position on the conflict.

He told the AP that he is amending his lawsuit to ask the UIL to make its gender policies mirror that of the NCAA, which allows athletes transitioning from female to male and taking testosterone to compete on men’s teams but not women’s teams.

“Mack is a great kid, hard-working, great kid,” Baudhuin told the AP. “So this is not a personal. This is not a hatred issue. We just don’t think it’s fair that Mack should wrestle, either be allowed or should be required to wrestle against girls.”

Baudhuin will not seek a last-minute injunction before the state tournament, he told the AP, but plans to pursue the altered lawsuit once the wrestling season is over, not just in light of Beggs’ case, but because he sees the potential for others to crop up.

“What if next year it’s a swimmer and the year after that it’s somebody who’s running track or somebody playing basketball or whatever?” he told the AP. “This isn’t the one and only time that there’s going to be a transgender athlete involved.”

According to TransAthlete, an advocacy organization for transgender athletes, Texas is one of seven states that it considers to have “discriminatory” policies for trans student athletes by requiring a birth certificate, hormone therapy documentation or proof of gender-reassignment surgery. Other state policies operate on a case-by-case basis or have no limitations, including Florida and California.

Beggs’ story hit the national stage the same week President Trump decided to roll back Obama-era directives protecting transgender students in public schools, outraging LGBTQ advocates.

Joanna Harper, an adviser to the International Olympic Committee, transgender elite runner and medical physicist in Oregon, told the Star-Telegram that she suspects the UIL’s rule is having the “exact opposite effect of what they had desired.”

“Dealing with transgender adolescent athletes is probably the most difficult time frame to make a ruling. In the NCAA, there would be no question that Mack would be required to compete against men, but that’s not an option for him because of the UIL rule,” Harper told the Star-Telegram. “I think the UIL rule is misguided, shortsighted and I actually find a wonderful irony in it.”

The UIL released a statement to the Star-Telegram about the controversy, described by the newspaper as “generic”:

“To compete at this year’s wrestling state tournament all students are subject to UIL rules and state law. This helps ensure a fair competition to the more than 400 students participating. We will continue to work with member schools to best meet the needs of all students.”

stay classy texas

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If they're XY and have a dudes skeleton then they wrestle with dudes
Feb 24th 2017
He should be able to wrestle against the boys
Feb 24th 2017
I was like hell nah til I realized the law is stopping him
Feb 24th 2017
This is silly. He should be disqualified from wrestling anyone because o...
Feb 24th 2017
yeah, no one should be able to take steroids and compete
Feb 24th 2017
      If he wants facial hair, deeper voice or other testosterone induced
Feb 26th 2017
           Nah, there are some things I don't think people should do
Feb 27th 2017
Minors shouldn't be allowed to ''transition'' period.
Feb 25th 2017
lmao whaaaaat kinda fuckery is this
Feb 26th 2017
all minors are transitioning all the time
Feb 26th 2017
Ur talking about permanent physiology altering decisions made by
Feb 27th 2017
RE: Minors shouldn't be allowed to ''transition'' period.
Feb 26th 2017
Might be a tad too far for me.
Feb 26th 2017
Every time I think I might like boards.okayplayer.com again,
Feb 26th 2017
then you might want to consider leaving and not returning.
Feb 26th 2017
Mofos log in just to drop that line every so often.
Feb 27th 2017
RE: Every time I think I might like boards.okayplayer.com again,
Feb 26th 2017
Haha..America is gonna collapse on itself.
Feb 26th 2017
RE: Haha..America is gonna collapse on itself.
Feb 27th 2017
amend the law.
Feb 27th 2017

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If they're XY and have a dudes skeleton then they wrestle with dudes "
In response to Reply # 0

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 10:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "He should be able to wrestle against the boys"
In response to Reply # 0

She has an unfair advantage over her competition right now
The playing field will be more even against boys (and that's what he wants)

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 01:49 PM

3. "I was like hell nah til I realized the law is stopping him "
In response to Reply # 0

He is taking steroids tho... not sure you should be able to compete at all since you have an advantage. I could see if it was basketball or soccer but wrestling is a little different.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 02:08 PM

4. "This is silly. He should be disqualified from wrestling anyone because o..."
In response to Reply # 0

his taking testosterones.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79600 posts
Fri Feb-24-17 02:13 PM

5. "yeah, no one should be able to take steroids and compete"
In response to Reply # 4

either wait to transition or pick a different sport.

seems like some people want it all and I don't think that's possible.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Sarah_Bellum
Charter member
7489 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 09:38 PM

10. "If he wants facial hair, deeper voice or other testosterone induced "
In response to Reply # 5
Sun Feb-26-17 09:45 PM by Sarah_Bellum

features he has to remain on testosterone for the rest of his life. As soon as he stops his physical features will feminize.
There are lots of medically necessary drugs that can give athletes an advantage or even be considered PEDs but if it's deemed medically nessesary they still get to take them and compete.

DJTB YOMM

legsdiamond
79600 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 03:02 PM

20. "Nah, there are some things I don't think people should do"
In response to Reply # 10

Like the guy who transitioned to a woman and now she fights in UFC. That's just weird.

I can understand soccer, basketball or even football but boxing, wrestling... sports where you are fighting should be off limits.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Feb-25-17 07:36 AM

6. "Minors shouldn't be allowed to ''transition'' period. "
In response to Reply # 0

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 09:52 AM

9. "lmao whaaaaat kinda fuckery is this"
In response to Reply # 6

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 10:57 PM

11. "all minors are transitioning all the time"
In response to Reply # 6

god forbid some of them have agency in it.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 06:56 AM

17. "Ur talking about permanent physiology altering decisions made by"
In response to Reply # 11

kids who are still in the process of attaining a grasp on reality, and teenagers are probably the least stable, least wise, age group

But ok are you debating the gradients or are you against my statement outright? Are you saying a 6 year old boy should be able to get a sex change if he tells his parents he's really a girl?

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:14 PM

12. "RE: Minors shouldn't be allowed to ''transition'' period. "
In response to Reply # 6

I agree the medical risks are still unknown

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/when-transgender-kids-transition-medical-risks-are-both-known-and-unknown/

And if he competes it should be with boys.

dude

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Might be a tad too far for me."
In response to Reply # 6

But if one of my kids came to us asking to take hormones or having surgeries...our first answer will be 'wait til your 18'. On the other hand....I don't want my kid to be a suicide risk or suffer depression. It's difficult to be a hardliner either way. But again...the first answer is 'wait til your 18'. And then, of course, a lot of talking, possibly therapy.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 04:04 AM

7. "Every time I think I might like boards.okayplayer.com again,"
In response to Reply # 0

a thread like this comes along and ruins it.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 09:26 AM

8. "then you might want to consider leaving and not returning."
In response to Reply # 7

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79600 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 02:07 PM

19. "Mofos log in just to drop that line every so often. "
In response to Reply # 8

This is far from a perfect place.

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:33 PM

13. "RE: Every time I think I might like boards.okayplayer.com again,"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun Feb-26-17 11:36 PM by Deacon Blues

People have different opinions, that's the way of the world

As long as we can be respectful it shouldn't be a problem.

That sort of condescending behavior helped get Trump elected,

It's better to engage, make your point.

dude

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sun Feb-26-17 11:53 PM

15. "Haha..America is gonna collapse on itself."
In response to Reply # 0

A lot of that psuedo-progessive shit
is logistically regressive and
it takes fuck-scenarios like this
for people to realize it.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 04:45 AM

16. "RE: Haha..America is gonna collapse on itself."
In response to Reply # 15

>A lot of that psuedo-progessive shit
>is logistically regressive and
>it takes fuck-scenarios like this
>for people to realize it.
>
>
>
>

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Feb-27-17 08:46 AM

18. "amend the law."
In response to Reply # 0

Simple solution.

fuck you.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13128972 Previous topic | Next topic