Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13124760

Subject: "Do you hold yourself to the same standard that you hold others to? " Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you hold yourself to the same standard that you hold others to? "

As someone in ministry I find it very troubling and hypocritical that people hold clergy to an impossible standard, but are willing to give themselves so much leeway. It's a total reversal to what Jesus talked about when it came to the religious Leaders of the Law placing undue standards on common folk.

Thanks just one example that I deal with. I'm sure that there are many other examples. Considering, Parents do it to their children all the time.

Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray! Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I hold myself to a much higher standard
Feb 13th 2017
Much respect. This seems rare in our day
Feb 13th 2017
I do as well.
Feb 13th 2017
yes. I'll add we have a guy in our office who is a mess
Feb 13th 2017
for the sake of discussion, consider this:
Feb 13th 2017
I only have a problem if the Dude -
Feb 13th 2017
its less about my standards
Feb 13th 2017
Wait a min.. I get what you'r saying but
Feb 13th 2017
      don't have much of a choice.
Feb 13th 2017
           So the cop example is based on Power and Consequences.
Feb 13th 2017
                yup, that joker typically wins
Feb 13th 2017
Attitude reflect leadership, Cap’n. You’re asking the wrong question...
Feb 13th 2017
No. I asked the right question. This isn't just about Leadership positio...
Feb 13th 2017
      Nah. You keep bringing this back to that shepherd/sheep dynamic.
Feb 13th 2017
           per the Bible
Feb 13th 2017
                I assume you responded to the wrong person.
Feb 13th 2017
who doesn't?
Feb 13th 2017
Look around. We all do at some point.
Feb 13th 2017
if rev aint practicing what he preach he deserve to get roasted
Feb 13th 2017
How about we focus on the Hot dog Cart guy - regular folks.
Feb 13th 2017
      If he's tellling me how I should live my life...then, yes.
Feb 13th 2017
hell of a loophole
Feb 13th 2017
If we're all reading the same Bible, Serving the same God and abiding by
Feb 13th 2017
      "Trust me to lead you, dont expect me to do better than you though"
Feb 13th 2017
           The focus of the question is moreso on the expectations and...
Feb 13th 2017
           What are you talking about? Who said or implied this?
Feb 14th 2017
that's a two pronged question. short answer is Yes. but i gotta expand
Feb 13th 2017
yeah. I gave a guy the finger the other day.
Feb 13th 2017
or just a real example?
Feb 13th 2017
Plus Kids will Bust you our for being a Hypocrite in heartbeat... LOL
Feb 13th 2017
no. i hold myself to a higher standard
Feb 13th 2017
I try to hold myself to a higher standards than others.
Feb 13th 2017
my parents did a great job of showing me they were human
Feb 13th 2017
That's what's up.
Feb 14th 2017
No
Feb 13th 2017
I have a very low expection when it comes to others nm
Feb 13th 2017
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Feb 13th 2017
Yep.
Feb 14th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13572 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 12:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I hold myself to a much higher standard"
In response to Reply # 0

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 12:24 PM

2. "Much respect. This seems rare in our day"
In response to Reply # 1

Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray! Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 12:45 PM

3. "I do as well. "
In response to Reply # 1

I don't always meet my expectations for myself, but I still strive to do my best.

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 12:51 PM

4. "yes. I'll add we have a guy in our office who is a mess "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-13-17 12:54 PM by Atillah Moor

because he expects people to perform at a level he can't come close to.

Mad misspellings in his already lazy work, but wants to call out attention to detail in the work of others lol please.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 01:02 PM

5. "for the sake of discussion, consider this:"
In response to Reply # 0

let's say a person said to themselves,

"i ain't shit. i never been about nothing and i probably won't ever be about nothin. i know my shit is fucked up"

then you have the Right Reverend Deacon Bishop telling the entire congregation to look to him for guidance cuz God is his man 50 grand.

in that scenario, you got a person holding themselves to a lesser standard.

don't it seem right that the ain't shit guy should hold the Good Reverenend Doctor to a higher standard?

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 01:35 PM

7. "I only have a problem if the Dude -"
In response to Reply # 5

tries to hold the Rev to a standard that does not allow the Rev to make mistakes or have missteps in judgement. If dude is on some the Rev should know better and is screaming for the Rev to step down for making base level mistakes then I think dude is dead wrong.

Too many people want us Rev's to be perfect and above all issues, but when we tells that same person to rise above any issue, those same people are quick to tell us that we are NOT above all issues.

>
>
>
>
>***
>I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "its less about my standards"
In response to Reply # 0

versus the standards of the title a person holds.

its why you don't expect a cop to steal shit from the corner store you don't expect the preacher to like dudes if he's married.

life happens and we're all human, but certain 'power' positions in life will naturally be held in higher regard.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 01:39 PM

8. " Wait a min.. I get what you'r saying but"
In response to Reply # 6

>versus the standards of the title a person holds.
>
>its why you don't expect a cop to steal shit from the corner
>store you don't expect the preacher to like dudes if he's
>married.
>
>life happens and we're all human, but certain 'power'
>positions in life will naturally be held in higher regard.

How do you feel when the cop tell you to do something that is lawful but you don;t like it? Do you respect his/ her level of Title then?

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "don't have much of a choice."
In response to Reply # 8

>How do you feel when the cop tell you to do something that is
>lawful but you don;t like it? Do you respect his/ her level of
>Title then?

it really depends. by law, the cop has authority over me. it can make thing worse for me if I don't cooperate. that doesn't mean they can search my car/house without the slippery slope of probable cause.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:27 PM

22. "So the cop example is based on Power and Consequences. "
In response to Reply # 20

We can toss that out. Yaknow. Because in the end we both gonna do that the joker said anyway....:LOL

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:35 PM

24. "yup, that joker typically wins"
In response to Reply # 22

but we can't toss is out from the perspective of your question. the cop is supposed to uphold the law because he's policing the rest of us. so by simply being cop, the general public will view you as not like the rest of us.

same with clergy, elected officials, high level corp folks. the problem is these folks are still human and have the same issues as the rest of us. however, they're viewed diff because of titles and positions. they actually have more leway to lower their standards because of the power of their positions. money, power, (dis)respect.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 01:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "Attitude reflect leadership, Cap’n. You’re asking the wrong question..."
In response to Reply # 0

What you should be asking is a question of yourself, of whether or not you’re walking out a standard that meets the stature of your position, not whether the people below you are holding themselves to a standard that, by definition of their position, is not only unreasonable but unrequired.

If you’re in a position of leadership, authority, responsibility or what have you, whether or not those beneath you on a particular ladder hold themselves to the same standard you should be meeting is irrelevant.

In terms of one’s peers, the question is even more pointed. What *I* do is ultimately all that matters and if, say, my coworker doesn’t pull their weight, that’s on them. My job is to pull my own and substantiate my paycheck. It’s not my job to hold anyone else to any standard, high or low, even if I’m meeting the highest possible standard myself. When we’re talking situations where greater team accountability is a necessity the water muddies a bit but that responsibility still lies with powers above our pay grade.

Now, if we’re talking clergy? Spiritual realm?

At that point you should be asking if you’re a sufficient example to follow and striving to maintain that standard, not questioning whether or not those who you’re supposed to lead are as upright as yourself.

Each position has its own standard and if you’re a shepherd expecting sheep to meet the standards expected of a shepherd, well, you’re just plain doing it wrong. Your job is to walk that higher path and wash the feet of those you lead, but you will not have the moral ground to challenge them to walk at a higher standard unless you’re a living example yourself…

And if/when you truly are such an example, you’re certainly not complaining about whether or not the people are holding you to a higher standard than themselves because you’re too busy fitting them with new wineskins to fill.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:09 PM

13. "No. I asked the right question. This isn't just about Leadership positio..."
In response to Reply # 9

This is about YOU and Others, and Your standards for others that you are not willing to maintain yourself.

(Not you specifically)

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 03:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "Nah. You keep bringing this back to that shepherd/sheep dynamic."
In response to Reply # 13

Even here, I touched on multiple levels of this but you still zeroed in on that specific dynamic.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 06:44 PM

34. "per the Bible"
In response to Reply # 26

you have the responsibility of shepherding GOD'S flock.

so YES, bruh. There is a higher standard, and you can miss us with the 'base-level' mistakes.

#WhatAreThooooose

noone expects you to be infallible...but if you tell the congregation you slipped in some ice cream and fell into your fellow man's wife's vagine...you gotta GTFOH

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Cold Truth
44838 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 06:46 PM

35. "I assume you responded to the wrong person."
In response to Reply # 34

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 01:52 PM

10. "who doesn't?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's why we judge and compare one another...

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:13 PM

16. "Look around. We all do at some point."
In response to Reply # 10

>It's why we judge and compare one another...

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:02 PM

11. "if rev aint practicing what he preach he deserve to get roasted"
In response to Reply # 0

If he just slipped up and made a mistake, then sure he should humbly repent like all others and beg for mercy but he gon get put on front street extra bc of his position. It comes with the territory.

Now depending on how he went about fulfilling his position will go a long way towards others view his slip ups.

IF he practicing sin regularly while preaching other things, well, he as hypocritical as the ones you describe in your original post, if not more.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:10 PM

14. "How about we focus on the Hot dog Cart guy - regular folks. "
In response to Reply # 11

Do you hold him to a higher standard than yourself?

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59180 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:13 PM

17. "If he's tellling me how I should live my life...then, yes."
In response to Reply # 14

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:05 PM

12. "hell of a loophole"
In response to Reply # 0

>As someone in ministry I find it very troubling and
>hypocritical that people hold clergy to an impossible
>standard, but are willing to give themselves so much leeway.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:12 PM

15. "If we're all reading the same Bible, Serving the same God and abiding by"
In response to Reply # 12

the same rules where is the loophole?

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:34 PM

23. ""Trust me to lead you, dont expect me to do better than you though""
In response to Reply # 15

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 04:26 PM

33. "The focus of the question is moreso on the expectations and..."
In response to Reply # 23
Mon Feb-13-17 04:28 PM by Creole

RE: "Trust me to lead you, dont expect me to do better than you though"

and standards we set for ourselves.

How can I hold another man to any set of standards that I am not willing to meet or exceed?

A pastor, assumedly, wants what's best for you and may provide advice, based on Scripture, to support his desire. You're still gonna do what you want to do though based on whatever feeling/urging/temptation you're succumbing to.

A pastor's spiritual father may do the same for him. And the pastor is still gonna do what he wants to do based on the same.

Everyone struggles in some fashion or another. With that said, human frailty is a beast. We gotta get off of high horses and empathize with the fact that we all suffer from it.

Edit:
"It's okay for me to cheat on my lady because I'm not a pastor." - The guy who believes pastors are perfect and are not a human who struggles at times.

That don't even look or sound right.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Feb-14-17 02:49 PM

37. "What are you talking about? Who said or implied this?"
In response to Reply # 23

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:14 PM

18. "that's a two pronged question. short answer is Yes. but i gotta expand"
In response to Reply # 0

>As someone in ministry I find it very troubling and
>hypocritical that people hold clergy to an impossible
>standard, but are willing to give themselves so much leeway.
>It's a total reversal to what Jesus talked about when it came
>to the religious Leaders of the Law placing undue standards on
>common folk.

i'm not sure i rock with you on that. the bible says that teachers and preachers will be judged more harshly. when you take on a leadership position, there is an inherent and explicit responsibility that comes with it.

so, yes, i hold my pastor, previous pastors, elders, etc, to a higher standard than i hold myself because, by definition, their acceptance of the position is a pledge to understand and uphold those higher standards.

secular example, this is why the way that these law and order types' strawman arguments against those who wish to hold cops to some minimal standard of decency are so specious.

'what about black on black crime?' well, hell, we EXPECT criminals to be criminals. we don't expect people who swear an oath to protect us from criminals to behave criminally, amorally, and in a manner which endangers us. that's the exact opposite of what they are called to do.

Jesus stayed calling out the pharisees and the pharisaical. they were either religious leaders or wanna be religious leaders who had massive gaps between their preaching and practice.

>
>Thanks just one example that I deal with. I'm sure that there
>are many other examples. Considering, Parents do it to their
>children all the time.

this one, i try not to. ANY time i'm talking to my kids about something they did wrong in my head i'm hearing about when i did the same or something similar. i try not to be habitual about it. and lots of times it's a matter of timing or degree. but i genuinely try to not be on some do as i say steez w/ them, and will tell them that, explicitly.

>
>
>
>
>
>.
>.
>
>Wake up, Pray! Go to work, Pray! Go home, Pray! Love, Pray!
>Eat, Pray! Live, Pray!

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:25 PM

21. "yeah. I gave a guy the finger the other day. "
In response to Reply # 18

while the kids we're in the car

the other driver did it first, but they didn't see him. Instantly, I thought about how I was being a bad example for them.

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:54 PM

25. "or just a real example?"
In response to Reply # 21

I thought about how I was being a bad example for
>them.

the kids will see us as humans once they find out we don't know everything or don't have super powers.

or maybe your super power is that middle fanger.

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 04:14 PM

32. "Plus Kids will Bust you our for being a Hypocrite in heartbeat... LOL"
In response to Reply # 18

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 02:15 PM

19. "no. i hold myself to a higher standard"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 03:24 PM

27. "I try to hold myself to a higher standards than others. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-13-17 03:24 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Whenever I feel like criticizing anyone, I try to remind myself that that most people in this world haven’t had the advantages that I’ve had.

Try anyway.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 03:25 PM

28. "my parents did a great job of showing me they were human"
In response to Reply # 0

which allowed me to evaluate people on a bit of a more fallible scale

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Feb-14-17 02:51 PM

38. "That's what's up. "
In response to Reply # 28

I keep it real with my son on all my mess-ups that he knows about.. I always tell him how I should have done XYZ better or different and that he should learn from my mistakes.

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 03:28 PM

29. "No"
In response to Reply # 0

=======================================
Coolin...

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 03:32 PM

30. "I have a very low expection when it comes to others nm"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 03:44 PM

31. "^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 30

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Feb-14-17 08:37 AM

36. "Yep."
In response to Reply # 30

Back again for the first time.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13124760 Previous topic | Next topic