Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13124469

Subject: "Bubbles. The chimp. The movie. *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Sat Feb-11-17 11:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Bubbles. The chimp. The movie. *swipe*"

Directed by Taika Waititi. Produced by Dan Harmon and Starburns Industries.

Take my fucking money now.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/taika-waititi-to-helm-biopic-about-michael-jacksons-chimp-w466405

Taika Waititi to Co-Direct Michael Jackson's Chimp Biopic 'Bubbles'

Animation director Mark Gustafson also on board to turn Black List-winning script into stop-motion film
'Thor: Ragnarok' director Taika Waititi has signed up to co-direct 'Bubbles,' an off-beat, stop-motion biopic about Michael Jackson's pet chimpanzee. Andrew Toth/Getty Images Entertainment
By Daniel Kreps
10 hours ago

Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi has signed up to co-direct Bubbles, an off-beat biopic about Michael Jackson's pet chimpanzee. The Isaac Adamson-penned screenplay previously won first place on the 2015 Black List, Hollywood's annual rundown of the best unproduced scripts.

Related
'Bubbles,' About Michael Jackson's Chimp, Tops Black List

Unproduced screenplay "details life within the King of Pop's inner circle through the scandals that later rocked Jackson's life and eventually led to Bubbles' release."

While a short film starring Joseph Fiennes as the King of Pop was condemned by fans and Paris Jackson and ultimately pulled from broadcast, Bubbles won't face similar criticism over the casting of Jackson: The movie will be a stop-motion film that combines 3D printing and puppetry, much like Charlie Kaufman's Anomalisa, the Hollywood Reporter writes.

"It's an idea that fascinates me and one I want to develop further. Most people know I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan, so the main thing for me is to make sure it's respectful of him and his legacy," Waititi said in a statement; one of the director's earliest films, Boy, was about a Jackson-obsessed child. Waititi also directed the acclaimed What We Do in the Shadows and Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

"I'm not interested in making a biopic; I want to focus on telling a story that blends fact and fantasy, about an animal trying to make sense of the world. This film is not about Michael Jackson because that's not a story for me to tell - or a story I'd be comfortable telling - it's about a chimpanzee's fascinating journey through the complex jungle of human life. I think animation is the only way to approach a story like this."

Co-directing alongside Waititi will be animation director Mark Gustafson, who previously worked on Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox and the upcoming stop-motion Pinocchio.

"Bubbles, the chimp, had a front row seat and a truly unique perspective on the pop culture phenomenon of Michael Jackson. I'm excited to have the opportunity to work with this great team to bring his story to life," Gustafson said in a statement. "Plus it's a monkey. Who doesn't love a monkey?"

In March 2016, Dan Harmon announced his Starburn Industries would produce the Bubbles film; he's still on board as producer.

"A baby chimp is adopted by the pop star Michael Jackson. Narrating his own story, Bubbles the Chimp details his life within The King of Pop’s inner circle through the scandals that later rocked Jackson’s life and eventually led to Bubbles’ release," the film's synopsis stated.

The now-33-year-old Bubbles currently resides at the Center for Great Apes monkey sanctuary in Florida.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
sounds absolutely ridiculous
Feb 13th 2017
are they still going to do the movie with the white guy playing Michael?
Feb 13th 2017
according to the link...no
Feb 13th 2017
Cartoon version would be ok. Live action would be some wack-juice
Feb 13th 2017

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 11:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "sounds absolutely ridiculous"
In response to Reply # 0

but im still curious lol

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 11:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "are they still going to do the movie with the white guy playing Michael?"
In response to Reply # 0

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 12:28 PM

4. "according to the link...no"
In response to Reply # 2

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13573 posts
Mon Feb-13-17 11:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Cartoon version would be ok. Live action would be some wack-juice"
In response to Reply # 0

>"Bubbles, the chimp..."
>Gustafson said in a statement.
>"Plus it's a monkey. Who doesn't love a monkey?"

Movie's gonna be mad inaccurate, based on this shit. Bubbles gonna have a long tail and red bulbous nose based on the science of the animation editor.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13124469 Previous topic | Next topic