Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13122432

Subject: "any thoughts on unschooling/self-directed education?" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"any thoughts on unschooling/self-directed education?"

There is a new facility down the road from us that will focus on unschooling. Its basically letting the child learn at their pace. No set schedules. Sounds like some WPS but I'm open and my wife loves the idea because it's in walking distance.

We haven't discussed home schooling but recent stats showing the amount of Black kids suspended vs white kids in the CMS district is disturbing.

Thoughts?

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Similar to Montessori school? I went to one of those and loved it
Feb 06th 2017
That's what I was thinking too..sounds a lot like Montessori ....
Feb 06th 2017
this sounds like it may be good
Feb 06th 2017
Unschooling?
Feb 06th 2017
it's the correct term
Feb 09th 2017
man. the way the run stuff down here it might be closed by then lol
Feb 06th 2017
here are the major issues i've witnessed
Feb 07th 2017
thanks!!!
Feb 07th 2017
Thanks
Feb 07th 2017
Homegirl just had to put her son in an alternative school because...
Feb 07th 2017
Gonna see a LOT more of it now.
Feb 07th 2017
Check out Akilah Richards Fare of the Free Child
Feb 07th 2017
I wouldn't trust anyone homeschooling but myself.
Feb 08th 2017
in urban areas "homeschooling" can be more expansive than trad schools
Feb 08th 2017
exactly.
Feb 09th 2017
I went to an open house last night..
Feb 09th 2017
*Reply Completely Unrelated to This Post*
Feb 09th 2017
how the fuck??? LMAO.
Feb 09th 2017
      shit has been fucking bananas!!!
Feb 09th 2017
           I have to follow on the ESPN app
Feb 09th 2017
                Unfortunately I didn't see either game. The St. Bonnie finish was
Feb 09th 2017
                     I have both apps but cbssports is stingy and doesnt air games live
Feb 09th 2017
                          yeah, i think 3 teams will get in from the A10
Feb 09th 2017

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 10:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Similar to Montessori school? I went to one of those and loved it"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-06-17 10:25 AM by flipnile

We had a list of things to complete by the end of every week, and it was up to us to get it done how we saw fit. It's a great environment for kids that are nerds and self-starters, but I saw a lot of kids not make it because they couldn't keep their behaviour in check in the less-structured environment, or had trouble organizing themselves.

Edit: Doesn't sound like you are talking about a Montessori school tho.

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44614 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 10:34 AM

3. "That's what I was thinking too..sounds a lot like Montessori ...."
In response to Reply # 1

Sounds like they didn't want to pay for the certifications though lol...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "this sounds like it may be good"
In response to Reply # 0

for some younger learners, but I think routines actually help students remember schedules.

seems like it opens the door for folks to get lost.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 11:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Unschooling?"
In response to Reply # 0

Damn...did they really have to use that word?

My biggest worry would be if there's not alot of other kids. One of the most important parts of school is simply learning how to mingle in large groups. I'd be open-minded to anything as long as they're learning some socialization skills along with everything else. My bio-daughter went to an alternative school that had an environmentalism slant. To be honest, I came to feel it was some bullshit near the end (i disagreed with indoctrinating them with the environmental politics which were ridiculous at times)....but still not a huge deal because there was hundreds of kids there. I knew I'd have lots of time to deprogram her from the environmental lobbyist shit. The upside is that they went on tons of nature-oriented field trips which was cool.

I'm sure there's lots of home-school success stories....but I think it puts them at risk of being socially stunted. I've seen it at birthday parties lol....the home-schooled kid is pretty easy to pick out. I'd also be wary of any small school that only has a handful of kids there.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 09:26 AM

16. "it's the correct term "
In response to Reply # 4

these folks are chilling to hard for my taste.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Trinity444
Charter member
41728 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 11:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "man. the way the run stuff down here it might be closed by then lol"
In response to Reply # 0

samsara
Member since Sep 15th 2002
3464 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 12:06 AM

6. "here are the major issues i've witnessed"
In response to Reply # 0

in progressive, child-led inquiry focused education. some thoughts:

if you have racist teachers that set low expectations for children of color or ignorant/naive teachers who don't understand equity and access, progressive ed environments can be just as hostile as traditional ones.

a lot of white parents in progressive ed don't take into account their own privilege and can become hostile to parents who want to know about skills development practically and not theoretically. in my experience, the people who claim to be the most hard-core are often providing a whole lot of other resources for their children outside of school.

it is heartbreaking to see kids of color in progressive ed environments where the teachers, who aren't great at what they are supposed to be doing, get to claim that the children who aren't progressing... well that's just where they should be. meanwhile one kid has a project where they've made a full-length feature movie and another one built a rocket ship and this one has a piece of paper glued to a piece of cardboard. teachers who refuse to recognize the environment they create, the opportunities they offer and the socioeconomic status of the kids affect how the kids come to do self-directed work are the worst. gender bias can run rampant in this environment because it's child-directed -- with teachers oblivious to the fact that it didn't just happen to be the boys that all do this, or all the girls that do this activity.

assessments -- some teachers may think they do not need to assess kids in any manner shape or form because it's child-directed. if your child has developmental delays or other special needs and teachers do not have close relationships with evaluators, special ed teachers and understand child development, you can lose crucial months, years because the child is supposedly learning at their own pace. some issues can be corrected with appropriate services at the right time but can be more difficult to get a handle on if not addressed.

math -- good traditional math teachers are hard to find. being able to have math development fully integrated into a progressive/child-led inquiry curriculum is not easy at all. for math, and other skill sets, are you prepared to be able to teach it yourself if you do not feel like your child is gaining the skills they need?

external resources -- i think you have to really know your child well to do this to be a partner in this type of learning. if it isn't enough structure, does your child need another activity whether they develop stamina, discipline, routines? will you be able to work with the teacher or do the teachers feel like they are the holders of the teaching philosophy and parents shouldn't have anything to say because it's "child-directed."

still, project-based (and child-directed) collaborative work is so wonderful for children at a young age. when this type of education does work well, it is completely amazing to watch how your child grows.

"i fear no fate" e.e. cummings
"No girl. No fried chicken. I'm going back to get some sleep." - Haruki Murakami

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 08:05 AM

7. "thanks!!! "
In response to Reply # 6

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 11:19 AM

9. "Thanks"
In response to Reply # 6

>in progressive, child-led inquiry focused education. some
>thoughts:
>
>if you have racist teachers that set low expectations for
>children of color or ignorant/naive teachers who don't
>understand equity and access, progressive ed environments can
>be just as hostile as traditional ones.
>
>a lot of white parents in progressive ed don't take into
>account their own privilege and can become hostile to parents
>who want to know about skills development practically and not
>theoretically. in my experience, the people who claim to be
>the most hard-core are often providing a whole lot of other
>resources for their children outside of school.
>
>it is heartbreaking to see kids of color in progressive ed
>environments where the teachers, who aren't great at what they
>are supposed to be doing, get to claim that the children who
>aren't progressing... well that's just where they should be.
>meanwhile one kid has a project where they've made a
>full-length feature movie and another one built a rocket ship
>and this one has a piece of paper glued to a piece of
>cardboard. teachers who refuse to recognize the environment
>they create, the opportunities they offer and the
>socioeconomic status of the kids affect how the kids come to
>do self-directed work are the worst. gender bias can run
>rampant in this environment because it's child-directed --
>with teachers oblivious to the fact that it didn't just happen
>to be the boys that all do this, or all the girls that do this
>activity.
>
>assessments -- some teachers may think they do not need to
>assess kids in any manner shape or form because it's
>child-directed. if your child has developmental delays or
>other special needs and teachers do not have close
>relationships with evaluators, special ed teachers and
>understand child development, you can lose crucial months,
>years because the child is supposedly learning at their own
>pace. some issues can be corrected with appropriate services
>at the right time but can be more difficult to get a handle on
>if not addressed.
>
>math -- good traditional math teachers are hard to find. being
>able to have math development fully integrated into a
>progressive/child-led inquiry curriculum is not easy at all.
>for math, and other skill sets, are you prepared to be able to
>teach it yourself if you do not feel like your child is
>gaining the skills they need?
>
>external resources -- i think you have to really know your
>child well to do this to be a partner in this type of
>learning. if it isn't enough structure, does your child need
>another activity whether they develop stamina, discipline,
>routines? will you be able to work with the teacher or do the
>teachers feel like they are the holders of the teaching
>philosophy and parents shouldn't have anything to say because
>it's "child-directed."
>
>still, project-based (and child-directed) collaborative work
>is so wonderful for children at a young age. when this type of
>education does work well, it is completely amazing to watch
>how your child grows.
>

Let my love slide in and never slip out

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 10:21 AM

8. "Homegirl just had to put her son in an alternative school because..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-07-17 10:22 AM by Creole

he has impulse control issues but is awesome academically. The school he was attending thought it was just better to suspend the kid for the smallest of shit that we would get away back in the day and that white kids get away with all of the time.

Damned shame!

Exercise whatever you can that will benefit your kid.

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 02:21 PM

10. "Gonna see a LOT more of it now."
In response to Reply # 0

Since they confirmed ol' girl.

Back again for the first time.

Mori
Charter member
3528 posts
Tue Feb-07-17 07:51 PM

11. "Check out Akilah Richards Fare of the Free Child"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-07-17 07:55 PM by Mori

She is very open and visionary about unschooling. I think it is a brilliant idea and the best way to prepare our children for the future of work.

The hardest part for me is I don't want to be home 24 -7 teaching my child. Call me selfish but it is exhausting and I like that she goes to school, has a schedule and has a different relationship with her teacher.

This is a growing movement and more black families are noticing the pitfalls of white educational systems even if they are elite and challenging.
Website
http://www.akilahsrichards.com/

Podcast

https://soundcloud.com/radicalselfie/sets/fare-of-the-free-child

Rise & Shine
Thrive & Grind
Heart & Mind

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Wed Feb-08-17 11:30 AM

12. "I wouldn't trust anyone homeschooling but myself."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-08-17 11:31 AM by TheAlbionist

...and so I don't think it should be a thing that I'm allowed to do either because, let's face it, I'll just teach them to be like me... and what if I'm stupid, damaged or just plain wrong about stuff without realising? I feel minorly the same way about smaller educational institutions... church schools run by weird little bigots and the like trying to pump out weird little clones for the wars to come.

Unschooling is an extremely troubling term. I'm sure it's better than it sounds.

))<>((
forever.

samsara
Member since Sep 15th 2002
3464 posts
Wed Feb-08-17 02:45 PM

13. "in urban areas "homeschooling" can be more expansive than trad schools"
In response to Reply # 12

there are people "homeschooling" who take classes with other "homeschooled" kids at museums or do sports or field trips with other kids. homeschoolers are not only people who are trying to keep their children narrow-minded and inside the house. there are people who have bizarre work schedules but work around schooling their kids during the other hours; there are parents of color who just don't want white supremacist indoctrination for their kids or just don't have any good public school options and it makes sense for one parent to stay home financially rather than pay an entire salary in child care, etc.

i'm not advocating for homeschooling, progressive education, unschooling or any philosophy but "homeschooling" is no longer only parents who are trying to shelter their children. there are many resources out there for homeschooling that can be broader than any traditional public school.

"i fear no fate" e.e. cummings
"No girl. No fried chicken. I'm going back to get some sleep." - Haruki Murakami

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 08:44 AM

14. "exactly. "
In response to Reply # 12

>...and so I don't think it should be a thing that I'm allowed
>to do either because, let's face it, I'll just teach them to
>be like me... and what if I'm stupid, damaged or just plain
>wrong about stuff without realising? I feel minorly the same
>way about smaller educational institutions... church schools
>run by weird little bigots and the like trying to pump out
>weird little clones for the wars to come.

Yep. and that's EXACTLY where we're headed.

>
>Unschooling is an extremely troubling term. I'm sure it's
>better than it sounds.

agreed.

Back again for the first time.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 09:24 AM

15. "I went to an open house last night.."
In response to Reply # 0

this shit sounds like day care for teenagers.

the teachers were on some hippy shit and all I kept hearing was how the kids and teachers hated public school but they never said why.

when these folks said one kid visits India for 2 weeks and they still mark him present because he is out in the world learning I got up and left.

FOH

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 09:31 AM

17. "*Reply Completely Unrelated to This Post*"
In response to Reply # 0

Bruh! Did you see these past two Rams wins!?!?!! HOLY SHIT!!

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 09:37 AM

18. "how the fuck??? LMAO. "
In response to Reply # 17

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 09:40 AM

19. "shit has been fucking bananas!!!"
In response to Reply # 18

i had a game last night so i was listening to the end on the radio. sat out in front of my house listening to the end because i didn't think i'd have enough time to get inside, turn on the tv, find the right channel and shit before it was over.

dude, when they fouled lewis the announcer LOST HIS MIND!! haha it was so funny/awesome. i honestly couldn't believe it. two games in a row on some CRAZY shit!

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 10:44 AM

20. "I have to follow on the ESPN app"
In response to Reply # 19

St Bonnie's game I thought they lost then I checked back to see if they had highlights or maybe they turn a 3 into a 2 on replay and see they are in OT

The play by play descriptions made no sense for both games. How the fuck is JQ shooting FT's with no time left?

The GW foul was the correct call. I see teams try that play all the time and it never works. Can't believe they put a 7fter in cold off the bench.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 11:09 AM

21. "Unfortunately I didn't see either game. The St. Bonnie finish was"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu Feb-09-17 11:11 AM by KiloMcG

even more bizarre. But I think it was the right call, and an extremely heads up play by Johnny. Last night's play call was perfectly executed and GW took the bait. Excellent coaching by Wade.

Most of the games are broadcast on CBS sportsnet or NBC sportsnet, which is great because almost every game is on tv this year.

But honestly, I'm not sure I could have watched last night. Not sure my emotions would have handled it haha, it was exciting enough just listening on the radio. Which is another way to follow if you can't watch. Fox sports 910 has an iheart channel and all the games are broadcast on that station.

legsdiamond
79560 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 11:39 AM

22. "I have both apps but cbssports is stingy and doesnt air games live"
In response to Reply # 21

or maybe it's regional.

NBCSports is on point tho.

I still think we are ok the bubble but our rep should get us in even if we don't win the A10 tourney.

I almost feel bad for Shaka, he is about to get the boot if they don't turn it around next year.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Thu Feb-09-17 12:31 PM

23. "yeah, i think 3 teams will get in from the A10"
In response to Reply # 22

so if we win it (obviously) or close to the top of the conference we should be good for the tourney. not as strong of a conference this year where in the past 4-5 teams have gotten in.

i haven't paid much attention to Texas. i know earlier in the season they were ranked. where they at now? sounds like struggling a little bit.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13122432 Previous topic | Next topic