Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13122148

Subject: "TheWife and I get to do a movie and dinner tomorrow night. What should w..." Previous topic | Next topic
KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 10:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"TheWife and I get to do a movie and dinner tomorrow night. What should w..."

We rarely get out to do something just the two of us. Rarely go see movies in the theater. What's the one movie we should definitely check out? I hate to waste this opportunity on some booolshit.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Not sure about the movie....
Feb 03rd 2017
Yeah that would be great, but we don't have that kind of time.
Feb 03rd 2017
Bruh I would assume he knows what he is doing and this is his best
Feb 05th 2017
go see Hidden Figures bruh
Feb 03rd 2017
That's definitely on the short list.
Feb 03rd 2017
      Hidden Figures
Feb 04th 2017
      Can't go wrong with Fences or Hidden Figures.
Feb 06th 2017
      Fences is a bit more of a downer though
Feb 06th 2017
           "..it's gon be a FENCE btw you and the draws.."
Feb 06th 2017
                Lmao
Feb 06th 2017
Hidden Figures was dope.
Feb 04th 2017
'
Feb 06th 2017
I'm in a similar situation and I think we are going to check for Arrival
Feb 05th 2017
WPS... it was a snoozer. I was underwhelmed.
Feb 05th 2017
smh...Hidden Figures was dope...
Feb 06th 2017
that conditioning is real
Feb 06th 2017
its entertaining as well
Feb 06th 2017
to be fair, it's extremely engaging
Feb 06th 2017
The best movie I've seen this season is Moonlight
Feb 06th 2017
yeah, we did some research after the movie and there are definitely
Feb 06th 2017
      Yeah, it was very enjoyable
Feb 06th 2017
           I get why they had the bathroom run in there
Feb 06th 2017
           haha yeah that was a bit dramatic
Feb 06th 2017
           Oh, sure, it's entertaining
Feb 06th 2017
           Emphatically agree!
Feb 06th 2017
           Exactly!
Feb 06th 2017
           i don't disagree
Feb 06th 2017
                yeah, exactly.
Feb 06th 2017

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 10:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Not sure about the movie...."
In response to Reply # 0

but you should kick it up a notch. Have her THINK it's dinner and a movie. But find out where they're playing some good music or there's a live band whatever....and arrange for extended babysitting without her knowing.

That way...when you leave the movie and she says 'This isn't the way home' you say 'that's because we're not going home' and take her dancing. And by that, I mean actually dance with her. I've discovered that taking my SO dancing for an hour or two is basically the best fore-play in the world.

And think about it...the eff is gonna be a hellavulot better after dancing to some rnb/soul music than returning home from sitting still in a dark theater lol.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 11:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yeah that would be great, but we don't have that kind of time. "
In response to Reply # 1

I said movie and dinner because we'll probably do it in that order. We'll have to get home to the kids by then. We have little dudes (6 and almost 1) and my mom will be here with them, so being out late isn't the lick. We'll probably go to a movie around 4ish and then have dinner. Late night plans take more arranging, and this was coordinated yesterday by me so we can at least get out together. It's been a minute.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 04:37 PM

7. "Bruh I would assume he knows what he is doing and this is his best"
In response to Reply # 1

option.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 11:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "go see Hidden Figures bruh"
In response to Reply # 0

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Fri Feb-03-17 11:20 PM

4. "That's definitely on the short list. "
In response to Reply # 3
Fri Feb-03-17 11:25 PM by KiloMcG

Would you choose that over Fences?

Those are the two I'm most interested in seeing right now. She mentioned Split, but I dunno about that one.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79601 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 07:55 AM

5. "Hidden Figures "
In response to Reply # 4

Fences is great but its 2.5 hours

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 02:12 AM

10. "Can't go wrong with Fences or Hidden Figures."
In response to Reply # 4

Both definitely deserve to be seen. I prefer Fences, but the play is one of my all-time favorites-- the writing is so immeasurably sharp-- so I'm biased. Plenty to love about Hidden Figures too.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Fences is a bit more of a downer though"
In response to Reply # 4

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 04:44 PM

26. ""..it's gon be a FENCE btw you and the draws..""
In response to Reply # 13

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 08:05 PM

28. "Lmao "
In response to Reply # 26

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Sat Feb-04-17 09:36 PM

6. "Hidden Figures was dope. "
In response to Reply # 0

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 08:01 PM

27. "'"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Feb-06-17 08:05 PM by KiloMcG

Wrong spot.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 04:38 PM

8. "I'm in a similar situation and I think we are going to check for Arrival"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Feb-05-17 04:39 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Like I will eventually see Hidden Figures but I can't imagine I want my rare date night to be taken up with a historical movie that you can show in a class room.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79601 posts
Sun Feb-05-17 05:35 PM

9. "WPS... it was a snoozer. I was underwhelmed. "
In response to Reply # 8

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Dstl1
Charter member
56230 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 07:58 AM

11. "smh...Hidden Figures was dope..."
In response to Reply # 8

you feel that way about date night and Arrival is your choice? C'mon.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
79601 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 08:39 AM

12. "that conditioning is real"
In response to Reply # 11

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 01:03 PM

14. "its entertaining as well"
In response to Reply # 8

>Like I will eventually see Hidden Figures but I can't imagine
>I want my rare date night to be taken up with a historical
>movie that you can show in a class room.

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 01:09 PM

16. "to be fair, it's extremely engaging"
In response to Reply # 8

it's not dry history. It's very alive, and the three women are fantastic.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 01:08 PM

15. "The best movie I've seen this season is Moonlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Hidden Figures is a great upper but you should know that a lot of the facts got glossed over or smooshed together. Having read the book, I really want everyone who sees the movie to read the book.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 01:14 PM

17. "yeah, we did some research after the movie and there are definitely"
In response to Reply # 15

a few discrepancies, but i get that to make it a movie sometimes that happens. overall i thoroughly enjoyed it.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 01:38 PM

18. "Yeah, it was very enjoyable"
In response to Reply # 17

What's kind of ironic is that, in the epilogue to the book, the writer says that Katherine Johnson's history keeps being told incorrectly, because there's a tendency to make Black people's story fit into a particular mold. So, like, didn't it look like she was the SOLE woman and SOLE Black person in that room? Yeah it did, didn't it? Well, she wasn't. And you know what? That takes nothing away from her contribution and her genius and her story.

Also, I found this kind of interesting. She used the white women's bathroom. No running across the compound. No crowbar to the sign. No carrying piles of computer printouts as she trots prettily across parking lots. No checking numbers in the bathroom (didn't that look a little weird to you? How long was she expecting to be in there? Why was she portrayed as carrying several days' worth of work with her every time she peed?).

Anyway, these are quibbles. It was a very engaging movie. I just really super extra hope it makes people read the book.

(Mr W honestly believed that the story told in The Butler was true to the last detail. I was like, I'm pretty sure I remember the source for the movie, and this is "inspired" by it, but also, hey really? you really think that his son just HAPPENED to be in the motel room with Dr. King in Memphis? You think he just HAPPENED to then be radicalized by Malcolm X? WHAT A COINCIDENCE. Sometimes I think that hyperbole is our enemy, especially when the truth is sufficiently awesome.)

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

legsdiamond
79601 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 01:41 PM

19. "I get why they had the bathroom run in there"
In response to Reply # 18

but I rolled my eyes at the crowbar removal of the bathroom sign.

lmao @ days worth of work.

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 02:01 PM

20. "haha yeah that was a bit dramatic"
In response to Reply # 19

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 02:04 PM

21. "Oh, sure, it's entertaining"
In response to Reply # 19

but the truth is more than entertaining. It's fascinating.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 02:26 PM

22. "Emphatically agree!"
Mon Feb-06-17 02:45 PM by denny

I haven't seen Hidden Figures but it's the point you're making about our tributes, bio-pics, bio-docs.

A really big example for me is Terry Fox. I've read alot about him because I LOVE his story. In anycase, some of the more higher-budgeted docs and movie adaptations/tv specials completely gloss over the nuances of his story. They basically portray him as a flawless angel. But what makes his story REALLY beautiful to me is the wrinkles.

For one...he was a complete asshole in dealing with people. One might even go as far as calling him a self-righteous prick. His best friend abandoned him on the famous trip around 1/5 of the way in because he was so demanding and intolerable and self-centered. Self-centered? Kind of contradicts his life work right? EXACTLY. That's where the poetry is. The cliche that 'you're greatest strength is your greatest weakness' rings with Fox. If he wasn't demanding and obnoxious then he probably wouldn't have succeeded in the way he did. You could also argue someone has to be somewhat egotistical to even set out on such a plan.

Also, the run was failing almost the whole way up until he hit Ontario. He wasn't getting any publicity and it at times was looking like a good idea gone bad with no public attention. Particularly disheartening when he ran through French Canada. He was even run off the road by cars in Montreal. Would have loved to hear the ethnic slurs he yelled back at my peoples.

So yah....the truth is sufficient enough. And oftentimes...the truth is even better than the white-washed, purified versions. Fox was a cocky, obnoxious kid who found a way to change the world with a sort of determination and persistence that can only be found in a cocky, obnoxious kid.

Another point...it provides ammo for political agendas that seek to tear the hero down. How long until the alt-right start pointing out inaccuracies about 'hidden figures' in the attempt to dismiss this woman's story? It'll probably happen around oscar time.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 03:35 PM

25. "Exactly!"
In response to Reply # 22

It's one reason I try to stay away from biopics.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

KiloMcG
27561 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 02:50 PM

23. "i don't disagree"

>Sometimes I think that hyperbole is our
>enemy, especially when the truth is sufficiently awesome.)

and yeah, while watching The Butler i felt like his son was basically a Black version, of sorts, of Forrest Gump. Just happened to be there when a lot of important shit was going on.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Mon Feb-06-17 03:34 PM

24. "yeah, exactly."
In response to Reply # 23

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Lobby General Discussion topic #13122148 Previous topic | Next topic