Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13116074

Subject: "Alibaba's founder says War & Wall Street ruined USA" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 02:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Alibaba's founder says War & Wall Street ruined USA"

dude dropped a few gems.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/alibaba-founder-jack-ma-brutal-135400213.html

DAVOS, Switzerland — Alibaba founder Jack Ma thinks America went wrong over the past 30 years by focusing too much on war and Wall Street. Speaking at the World Economic Forum on Wednesday, Ma was asked about globalisation and the reaction to it represented by the election of Donald Trump as US president.

He responded that back when Thomas Friedman published "The World Is Flat" in 2005, globalisation looked like "a perfect strategy" for the US: "We just want the technology, and the IP, and the brand, and we'll leave the other jobs" to other countries like Mexico and China, he said.

"American international companies made millions and millions of dollars from globalisation," Ma said.

As an example of just how much was available, Ma said, "When I graduated from university I tried to buy a beeper, and it cost me $250. My pay at the time was $10 a month."

"IBM, Microsoft," he added, "the profit they made was larger than the top four banks in China put together ... But where did the money go?"

U.S. Army firefight Kunar
(US soldiers during a firefight with Taliban forces in Barawala Kalay Valley in Afghanistan's Kunar province in 2011.Pfc. Cameron Boyd / Wikimedia, CC)
Ma said that 30 years ago the American companies that people in China heard about were Ford and Boeing. Today the companies that people in China talk about are in Silicon Valley and on Wall Street.

At the same time, the US spent a lot of money on foreign conflicts. "In the past 30 years, America had 13 wars spending $2 trillion ... no matter how good your strategy is you're supposed to spend money on your own people," Ma said. "The money goes to Wall Street. Then what happened? Year 2008 wiped out $19.2 trillion in US income ... What if the money was spent on the Midwest of the United States?"

"The other countries steal jobs from you guys — that is your strategy. You did not distribute the money in the proper way."

Elsewhere during his talk, Ma said his favourite film was "Forrest Gump" because he saw something of Alibaba in Gump's shrimp boat. Ma quoted Gump as saying "Nobody makes money catching whales — people make money catching shrimps."

"That's how we make money" at Alibaba, he said.

He also revealed that he wanted to retire early: "I don't want to die in my office," he said. "I want to die on the beaches."

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Some times the truth can be so simply put that it's startling.
Jan 19th 2017
Yup... CEO pay has gone up 1000%, proll more in the last 30 years
Jan 19th 2017
China would never survive capitalist pseudo democracy either
Jan 19th 2017
yeah some wise words for sure but the country was headed this way
Jan 19th 2017
He isn't arguing that China has been spending money on its people, right...
Jan 19th 2017
On infrastructure more then the US? ABSOLUTELY.
Jan 19th 2017
not all that infrastructure is used:
Jan 19th 2017
      Absolutely, its to the point its wasteful
Jan 19th 2017
           RE: Absolutely, its to the point its wasteful
Jan 20th 2017
America bruh
Jan 19th 2017

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49407 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 03:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Some times the truth can be so simply put that it's startling. "
In response to Reply # 0

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 03:38 PM

4. "Yup... CEO pay has gone up 1000%, proll more in the last 30 years"
In response to Reply # 1

All that money burned on wars to fill companies pockets...

Imagine if we spent that money in infrastructure and healthcare.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

MEAT
Member since Feb 08th 2008
22257 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 03:24 PM

2. "China would never survive capitalist pseudo democracy either"
In response to Reply # 0

America is fucked but China is killing its own people just as quickly and hiding it via state controlled media.

------
“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” -Albert Camus

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 03:25 PM

3. "yeah some wise words for sure but the country was headed this way "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-19-17 03:27 PM by Atillah Moor

long before 30 years ago. The mass political killings of the 70's were a huge turning point and obvious unbroken systems and practices which ultimately compromised the type of unified progress that could have been made by the nation.

stattic
Charter member
29791 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 04:57 PM

5. "He isn't arguing that China has been spending money on its people, right..."
In response to Reply # 0

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 05:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "On infrastructure more then the US? ABSOLUTELY."
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah human rights, blah blah, polution, blah blah.

But when it comes to infrastructure they don't fuck around. And at least they NOW acknowledge climate change as a problem.

I got a zillion thing I can go in on China about (their cake and it eat to capitalism/oligarchy etc)...but they are dead to rights on this.

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 05:17 PM

7. "not all that infrastructure is used:"
In response to Reply # 6

https://youtu.be/GpnoPhY1f70

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 05:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Absolutely, its to the point its wasteful"
In response to Reply # 7

and ultimately its for a pissing contest in hopes of its superpower status being reflected in a thriving middle class.

But id rather have a bunch of ghost towns then a bunch of 20 year olds coming back with no limbs, nahmean? In hopes of basically engineering a pseudo-state for oil/commerce to benefit not the locals, not the american people, but multinational corps.

>https://youtu.be/GpnoPhY1f70
>
>
>***
>I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Fri Jan-20-17 09:39 AM

10. "RE: Absolutely, its to the point its wasteful"
In response to Reply # 9

>and ultimately its for a pissing contest in hopes of its
>superpower status being reflected in a thriving middle class.
>
>But id rather have a bunch of ghost towns then a bunch of 20
>year olds coming back with no limbs, nahmean? In hopes of
>basically engineering a pseudo-state for oil/commerce to
>benefit not the locals, not the american people, but
>multinational corps.
>

^^^^^^^

legsdiamond
79586 posts
Thu Jan-19-17 05:39 PM

8. "America bruh"
In response to Reply # 5

Lobby General Discussion topic #13116074 Previous topic | Next topic