Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13107915

Subject: "Ever hire people without discussing prices?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ever hire people without discussing prices?"

This always seems like some country down home stuff, but my folks would hire people for little work around the house (Yard work, little bit of painting or wash a car), and never discuss price.

Then at the end my dad would ask, "How much do I owe you". And then the person would say "whatever you think is fair."

My dad would reach into his wallet and pull out some money and that was it and everyone seemed happy. At least I think the worker would be happy because they would come back for more work.

Anyone else ever do this? Is this an old school Southern thing?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
when men were MEN and honorable.....and spoke english...
Dec 20th 2016
not once. the only part of your father's scenario i can relate to
Dec 20th 2016
only wit a crackhead....and not that often
Dec 20th 2016
Yeah, there's a neighborhood handyman I use.
Dec 20th 2016
Yeah, I think you nailed to parts of it.
Dec 20th 2016
to your original question, only when i know i'm getting the hookup
Dec 20th 2016
sparingly. neighborhood handyman bul and the occasional shoveler
Dec 20th 2016
Yup, with my Mexican crew
Dec 21st 2016

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 11:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "when men were MEN and honorable.....and spoke english..."
In response to Reply # 0

in 2016 though...
fck around and find yourself gaffled up in small claims court....
or on the 6:00 news

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 11:38 AM

2. "not once. the only part of your father's scenario i can relate to"
In response to Reply # 0

is when i ask "how much is this gonna cost me" and they say "give me what you think is fair". but that's BEFORE anything gets started.

cuz as soon as they say that, i'm throwing out a figure so that we can have an agreement BEFORE anything gets started.

the only transactions i ever partake in without knowing the prices upfront are

*buying drinks at a bar
*ordering "market rate" seafood in a restaurant
*getting a cab ride

everything else, i gotta know before hand what it's gonna cost

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 11:45 AM

3. "only wit a crackhead....and not that often "
In response to Reply # 0

because normally they ask or tell u pro-actively what they lookin for

oh....and barbers/barbershops
I've never asked prior ...well not since I was like 11yrs old

=======================================
Coolin...

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 11:52 AM

4. "Yeah, there's a neighborhood handyman I use."
In response to Reply # 0

Met him through our homeowners association. He's a retired engineer who does handyman jobs like electrical, basic plumbing, basic roofing, painting, etc. The first couple times I used him he gave me an hourly rate which was REALLY low especially considering the quality of his work. I always gave him extra. So now he just tells me to pay him for supplies plus whatever I want.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 12:25 PM

5. "Yeah, I think you nailed to parts of it. "
In response to Reply # 4

One it's got to be somebody you know and a repeat player. It's also a thing that happens when it's not really clear how long something is going to take. I've had cats quote me a rate then they totally misjudge how long it's going to take them to do. In which case, I might bump them up.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 12:41 PM

6. "to your original question, only when i know i'm getting the hookup"
In response to Reply # 0

if a company or dude does work without telling you the price, THEY are taking the risk not you. They don't know you can afford what they asking for so its dumb for them to tell you the price after. Unless they mafioso, then you better get the price up front.

The whole scenario in the body of the post only works with repeat business and when you know both is on the up and up.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Tue Dec-20-16 01:22 PM

7. "sparingly. neighborhood handyman bul and the occasional shoveler"
In response to Reply # 0

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

Wizdom
Charter member
479 posts
Wed Dec-21-16 02:07 PM

8. "Yup, with my Mexican crew"
In response to Reply # 0

I pick them up, give them job details and they make it happen. I pay them fairly and we're all happy.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13107915 Previous topic | Next topic