Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13102966

Subject: "Bad Boy/Roc-A-Fella History: Was Jigga scared of Biggie?" Previous topic | Next topic
PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Bad Boy/Roc-A-Fella History: Was Jigga scared of Biggie?"
Wed Dec-07-16 11:38 AM by PROMO

Also, did Roc-A-Fella/Jigga sign Foxy Brown because of Lil' Kim simply because he couldn't steal Kim from Biggie?

For some reason, I've been listening to the Not Tonight EP, Hard Core, and "Playas Anthem"/"I Need You Tonight"/"Get Money" off Junior M.A.F.I.A.'s Conspiracy LP non-stop for the last 3 or 4 days.

Maybe this has been discussed or is known history, but I noticed while listening to Jigga's verse on "Big Momma Thang" that the whole verse is either about "stealing" Lil' Kim (with the finisher of the verse being "Lil Kim and Jigga/sounds like figgas") and making mad money w/ her on the Roc and the rest of the verse is WILD deferential to Biggie. he even says in the verse that he don't want no beef with Biggie/Bad Boy. Here's the full verse:

How B.I.G. and 'Un' trust you in the studio with me
Don't they know I'm tryin' to sex you continuosly
Pull a high power Coup make, you jump ship
Leave who you wit', I'm with the Roc-A-Fella crew
Trick you for the cheese, tear your boom up
Spread a ill rumor, make you flip on Lil'Cease
Twist you backwards, get the dough from your platinum hits
Rock Little Kim hats and shit
I gets down and dirty for the dough
I got love and Big know it, He must got the studio bugged
Probably, as we speak he's on his way up the street
With the M.A.F.I.A. thugs and all types of heat
But I ain't tryin' to beef, I'm just tryin to eat
Horizontally, the way I hold my iron, sweet
And dem my niggas But I like the sound:
Lil' Kim and Jigga, it sound like figures

I believe that some question how close Jay was to Big, and obviously Jay waited for Biggie to die before he started jacking and popularizing his lyrics. So, was Jigga SCARED of Biggie?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
reachin'
Dec 07th 2016
no
Dec 07th 2016
wtf
Dec 07th 2016
RE: wtf
Dec 07th 2016
      The Notorious Blunt
Dec 07th 2016
lol.. damn. I never really listened to the lyrics
Dec 07th 2016
i hadn't really either.
Dec 07th 2016
idk but i used to think jay-z was really corny
Dec 07th 2016

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "reachin'"
In response to Reply # 0

2017, we still talkin' about this?

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:32 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no"
In response to Reply # 0

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "wtf"
In response to Reply # 0

>Also, did Roc-A-Fella/Jigga sign Foxy Brown because of Lil'
>Kim simply because he could steal Kim from Biggie?

Foxy was a Def Jam artist

that Jay Z/Lil Kim verse was flirtatious

Jay Z wouldnt have had Big on Brooklyns Finest or appeared on I Love The Dough if he was scared to rap with him

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: wtf"
In response to Reply # 3

>>Also, did Roc-A-Fella/Jigga sign Foxy Brown because of Lil'
>>Kim simply because he could steal Kim from Biggie?
>
>Foxy was a Def Jam artist

fair enough.

>
>that Jay Z/Lil Kim verse was flirtatious
>
>Jay Z wouldnt have had Big on Brooklyns Finest or appeared on
>I Love The Dough if he was scared to rap with him

no, i'm asking was he physically scared of him. not was he scared to trade bars.

i don't know the answer btw. this post is just for fun. just something that caught my year and would sort of explain that verse for one thing, but it would also sort of explain why Jay seemed to revere Biggie. respect out of talent AND fear goes a long way.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:48 AM

7. "The Notorious Blunt"
In response to Reply # 5

In another Biggie moment, Jay recalls the MC making a cameo appearance in the video for "Ain't No N—-a," which Jay was filming with Foxy Brown in Miami in 1996. Jay-Z says he was never much of a pot smoker and only did so on vacation. "I could count the number of times I'd smoked trees," he writes. But when Big offered him a smoke, he thought to himself, "Relax, you're not on the streets anymore." So he smoked ? and got completely wasted, just as the video shoot was to begin. Seeing what he had done, Biggie laughed and whispered to Jay, "I got ya." Jay said it took him 20 minutes to pull himself together. Later on, he told Big, "Never again, my n—-a."

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79349 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:38 AM

4. "lol.. damn. I never really listened to the lyrics"
In response to Reply # 0

couldn't of been that scared since he put all that shit in the verse.

Jay was nice as shit

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
30822 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:45 AM

6. "i hadn't really either."
In response to Reply # 4

or, at least the impact of what he's saying.

this post is mostly for fun, not controversy. just caught my ear after all these years and made me wonder especially with how Jigga seemed to revere Biggie.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 01:13 PM

8. "idk but i used to think jay-z was really corny"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked reasonable doubt but I remember thinking "this dude is corny" at the time.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Lobby General Discussion topic #13102966 Previous topic | Next topic