Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13102692

Subject: "Boeing CEO criticizesTrump. Trump cancels that bitch like Nino (swipe) " Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 05:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Boeing CEO criticizesTrump. Trump cancels that bitch like Nino (swipe) "
Tue Dec-06-16 05:22 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

This is the world we're living in now smh. The reaction to his tweet dropped the value of Boeing stock by something like $1.2 billion. It recovered throughout the day though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/06/did-donald-trump-tank-boeings-stock-because-he-was-mad-about-a-news-article/?utm_term=.84996b66f79e

Shares of stock in aircraft manufacturer Boeing fell nearly $2 a share before markets opened on Tuesday.
The reason? A tweet from the president-elect.

@realDonaldTrump Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion. Cancel order!

Were Boeing to lose a $4 billion contract, that would certainly cause people to be skeptical of future earnings. But this, as seems always to be the case with Donald Trump tweets, is not the full story.

As our Christian Davenport reports, the contract with Boeing is currently $170 million. The government's plan to replace Air Force One actually involves two different planes which would serve future presidents for years to come. Boeing won the contract in 2015; the new planes are expected to be operational in about a decade. The $170 million isn't for manufacturing, after all. It's for Boeing's work "determin the capabilities" of the planes they will eventually produce.

It was natural to wonder, given the apparently unprompted nature of Trump's tweet, if part of his comment was meant to suggest he would prefer to use his existing aircraft for the job of the presidency. His campaign spent $6.7 million on his personal aircraft after he announced his candidacy, and he has called Air Force One "a step down" from his personal aircraft "in every way." (Not size, mind you.) Once Trump received a Secret Service detail, the agency paid $1.6 million for its agents to travel with him -- money that went to TAG Air, a company owned by Trump.

The Air Force wouldn't let Trump keep using his plane as president, though, unless it were significantly upgraded. As CNN reported earlier this month, Trump's personal plane would need to be upgraded with critical functionality to serve as his official aircraft. That includes missile detection and avoidance systems, electromagnetic shielding, mid-air refueling mechanisms and confidential communications systems. The cost of those upgrades would be up to Trump.

As it turns out, though, the Trump tweet may not have been unprompted. CNN's Jake Tapper noted on Twitter that shortly before the tweet (which was posted at 8:52 a.m. Eastern) the Chicago Tribune posted an article quoting the company's CEO, Dennis Muilenberg. (The comments were made at a speech on Friday, not in an interview with the Tribune, as this article originally indicated.)

"Anyone who paid attention to the recent campaigns and the election results realizes that one of the overarching themes was apprehension about free and fair trade," Muilenberg said at the Illinois Manufacturing Association last week, as noted by Tribune columnist Robert Reed. Fair trade has helped Boeing, which prides itself on being America's largest manufacturing exporter.

"Last year, we delivered 495 737s from our factory in Renton, Wash., to customers around the world," Muilenberg continued, noting that a third of the planes were sent to China. "This phenomenon would have been unimaginable when I started at the company in 1985."

Those are pointed comments. It was Trump, of course, who robustly criticized free trade during the general election. And it is Trump who, this week, seemed to threaten a trade war with China.

That story has a dateline of 7:30 Central time -- 8:30 Eastern. Trump's tweet came out a few minutes later.

We don't know that Trump was responding to the Tribune story. We do know that the last time he tweeted an out-of-the-blue opinion, about flag-burning, it was immediately after a Fox News segment showing students burning flags.

We also know that Trump's tweet tanked Boeing's stock price, albeit only briefly. In 2013, Trump tweeted about having just bought stock in Boeing ("great company!"), but his spokesman said on Tuesday that the president-elect no longer holds stock in Boeing, or anything else, having sold it all in June.

The fluctuations in Boeing's stock price that may have stemmed from Trump's annoyance at a news article criticizing his policies in the lightest of terms, then, only affected other people.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Man, the WaPo is killing it these days
Dec 06th 2016
they're ON it.
Dec 06th 2016
I'm paying more for the NYT
Dec 06th 2016
wrong spot
Dec 06th 2016
they also appeared to be hell bent on stopping sanders
Dec 06th 2016
EDIT: I guess it's free with prime on the kindle fire
Dec 07th 2016
wow, they practically call me weekly begging to GIVE me a subscription
Dec 07th 2016
Dude at work tried to validate Trump's move. SMH
Dec 06th 2016
Union leader criticizes Trump. Trump unleashes beautiful Twitter acct
Dec 08th 2016
AF1's do be high tho'.
Dec 08th 2016
RE: Boeing CEO criticizesTrump. Trump cancels that bitch like Nino (swip...
Dec 08th 2016
Thats...not a good comparison
Dec 08th 2016

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 05:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Man, the WaPo is killing it these days"
In response to Reply # 0

the first and best stories are coming from them.

I was all, yeah, I totally need to subscribe, so I went to their site.
$99 a year? I mean OKAY OKAY but can't I break it up into a monthly payment muthafuckas?

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 05:46 PM

2. "they're ON it."
In response to Reply # 1

and i guess that kind of work needs $ to fund it.

but damn.

fuck you.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 06:05 PM

3. "I'm paying more for the NYT"
In response to Reply # 2

but I only pay it a month at a time

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 06:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "wrong spot"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Dec-06-16 06:35 PM by Atillah Moor

nm

rawsouthpaw
Charter member
15496 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 09:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "they also appeared to be hell bent on stopping sanders"
In response to Reply # 1

http://fair.org/home/washington-post-ran-16-negative-stories-on-bernie-sanders-in-16-hours/

placee_22
Member since Sep 30th 2002
12956 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "EDIT: I guess it's free with prime on the kindle fire"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Dec-07-16 09:42 AM by placee_22

I don't see any charges on my acct.

*shrug*

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 10:41 AM

8. "wow, they practically call me weekly begging to GIVE me a subscription"
In response to Reply # 1

for 7 days/week if I just agree to a weekend subscription...

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 06:07 PM

4. "Dude at work tried to validate Trump's move. SMH"
In response to Reply # 0

Some folks can't see past the nose on their face.

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 09:58 AM

9. "Union leader criticizes Trump. Trump unleashes beautiful Twitter acct"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/12/07/donald-trump-tweets-jab-carrier-union-president/95121916/

Carrier union president: Trump's 'terrible job' tweet means he's doing his job

An Indianapolis union leader said he's been receiving threats for his outspoken criticism of President-elect Donald Trump, who took to Twitter on Wednesday night to call him out.

Trump twice tweeted about United Steelworkers Local 1999 and its president, Chuck Jones, saying Jones has done a "terrible job" representing workers and that the union should "spend more time working."

"@realDonaldTrump: Chuck Jones, who is President of United Steelworkers 1999, has done a terrible job representing workers. No wonder companies flee country!"

Local 1999 represents workers from Carrier Corp. and Rexnord Corp., both companies with Indianapolis locations that have announced plans to close Indianapolis plants and move those operations to Mexico.

Carrier announced those plans — then affecting more than 1,000 union workers — in February, while Rexnord made its announcement affecting 300 in October.

Jones previously criticized Trump's campaign promises to keep Carrier and the affected jobs in Indianapolis and continued to be outspoken with his criticisms of the deal, telling The Washington Post earlier this week that Trump "lied his a-- off."
Jones told IndyStar on Wednesday night that he had been getting threats since The Post story was published Tuesday from people he said were Trump supporters.
"Calling me names, wanting to know if I have children," he said. "I better watch out for myself, and they know what kind of car I drive, that I better watch out for my kids."
Jones said later in an interview with MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell that callers had been asking those kinds of questions all day.

"Nothing that says they’re gonna kill me, but, you know, you better keep your eye on your kids," he told O'Donnell. "We know what car you drive. Things along those lines."
Jones told IndyStar that the first tweet was evidence to him that he was doing his job.
"First of all, that means I’m doing, and we’re doing, as labor representatives, the best we can for the people to give them a living wage and good benefits," Jones said. "No, what he says, that don’t bother me."
Trump visited Carrier's west-side facility last week after it was announced that the incoming administration had reached a deal with the furnace manufacturer, keeping the Indianapolis plant open and saving more than 1,000 jobs.

As part of the deal, the Indiana Economic Development Corp. offered Carrier up to $5 million in conditional tax credits, plus up to $1 million in training grants to support workforce development and another $1 million in tax credits if the company continues to invest in the Indianapolis location.

Jones said he took issue with Trump trying to take credit for saving 1,100 union jobs at Carrier, while the number of jobs retained was closer to 730. Altogether, about 600 layoffs are expected in mid-2017.
After layoffs, Carrier's Indianapolis plant will have about 800 manufacturing workers and 300 engineering employees.
"What he did was he gave false hope for three days to people that worked in that facility that they might not lose their job," Jones said.
Trump tweeted again, an hour later, saying the union needs to "spend more time working."

"@realDonaldTrump:If United Steelworkers 1999 was any good, they would have kept those jobs in Indiana. Spend more time working-less time talking. Reduce dues"

Jones brushed off the comment, saying Trump was again wrong in his claims.
"We offered up $23 million per year in concessions," he said. But the company wanted to save $65 million, so it turned down that offer, Jones said.

"He don’t know, once again, what in the hell he’s talking about," Jones said.
Jones reiterated that sentiment on MSNBC, saying if Trump had blamed the loss of the jobs on the union and its workers during the campaign, as he appeared to be doing in his second tweet, he would have lost some votes.
“I’m going to assume that some of them would have thought twice before they would have voted for Mr. Trump," Jones told O'Donnell. "The whole thing is ridiculous."

He added that in order for Carrier to have saved that $65 million, workers would have to be paid $5 an hour, below minimum wage, and would go without benefits.
But until Trump acknowledges that he wasn't telling the whole truth, Jones said he's going to keep calling him out on what he says are "falsehoods."

"I’m not backing up on my position one iota," Jones told O'Donnell. "He’s wrong, and I’m right.”
If Trump decides he wants to continue his work to save union jobs at Carrier and Rexnord, Jones told IndyStar, he would be open to working with Trump and his team, despite disagreements.

"When it comes to people's livelihoods, I think everybody has to put everything aside," Jones said.
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, now the vice president-elect, tweeted on March 2 that he met with Jones and other union representatives in an effort to keep Carrier jobs.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 10:35 AM

10. "AF1's do be high tho'."
In response to Reply # 0

Especially the bespoke ones.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Willong
Member since Jun 08th 2009
240 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 12:27 PM

11. "RE: Boeing CEO criticizesTrump. Trump cancels that bitch like Nino (swip..."
In response to Reply # 0

If anyone was wondering what it would have been like if Teddy Roosevelt had a twitter account...Trump is taking the bully pulpit to new heights.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35253 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 01:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Thats...not a good comparison"
In response to Reply # 11

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Lobby General Discussion topic #13102692 Previous topic | Next topic