Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13100593

Subject: "Young M.A. The Most Visible Black Queer Woman in Hip-Hop Is a Misogynist" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Young M.A. The Most Visible Black Queer Woman in Hip-Hop Is a Misogynist"

thoughts?

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/11/young-ma-hip-hop-lesbian-misogyny/

Young M.A.: The Most Visible Black Queer Woman in Hip-Hop Is a Misogynist
If Chance the Rapper represents the Carefree Black Boy, Young M.A. represents the Audacious Black Dyke—bold, unyielding and unapologetically herself. This is why her visibility is both exciting and deeply troubling.

BY: SAMANTHA MASTER
Posted: November 30, 2016

Young M.A., a gritty rap phenom who channeled the swagger of Brooklyn and the heart of ’90s East Coast hip-hop, slid onto radio airwaves across the nation in the throes of Drake’s Summer Sixteen Tour.

“Ooouuu,” her viral single, is the first mainstream hip-hop record by an out, masculine-presenting lesbian that contains explicit affirmations of queer and gender-nonconforming identities.

In describing the power and resistance of the Carefree Black Boy as embodied by artists like Chance the Rapper and Young Thug, writer Doreen St. Félix remarks, “Black masculinity has been loaded with policing myths, but it has never been monolithic, in reality. Queerness, femininity, slyness, daintiness, and strength drive the spirit of the masculine, even when this multiplicity isn’t visible, isn’t meant to be discernible to many viewers.”

If Chance the Rapper represents the Carefree Black Boy, Young M.A. represents the Audacious Black Dyke—bold, unyielding and unapologetically herself. I have known and loved these women since I was 14, and they perplex and intrigue me in equal measure. This is why Young M.A.’s visibility is both exciting and deeply troubling.

While there has never been a shortage of queer women in all facets of rap or music or artistry, Young M.A. is different. The unabashed declaration of herself as a lesbian and her masculine gender presentation are a marked departure from anything preceding her in mainstream hip-hop. Upon first glance, it is easy to miss the revolutionary nature of Young M.A., but her presence in rap is a radical representation of how conversations around the fluidity of gender and sexuality in mainstream culture have created space in a genre that has been discarded as deeply and irredeemably misogynistic and homophobic.

And yet her success, and the success of her gender-fluid counterparts, including Young Thug, are partly rooted in an affirmation of and nod to the old guard of gangsta rap: heterosexism and misogyny.

My queer-feminist worldview could not have come into consciousness without the clapbacks of black women in rap, including Eve, Trina, Gangsta Boo, Mia X, La Chat, Lil’ Kim and many more. However, with painfully few exceptions, the last 20 years of black women in mainstream hip-hop have almost always maintained the straight-presenting, high-femme sexual aesthetic set forth by Lil’ Kim and Foxy Brown.

Young M.A. meaningfully breaks this mold while walking in the beautiful and storied tradition of black studs, AGs, doms, bois and butches.

Unfortunately, though, and perhaps expectedly, while black queer and transgender women are organizing toward black liberation on the front lines of movements and giving new language to building black power, Young M.A., in some ways, has used the cultural space largely created by black women to promote the re-enactment of elements of toxic masculinity.

Her ascendance in rap raises an important question: Is visibility alone ever really radical?

The answer is messy, complicated, uncertain and unclear. Importantly, queer masculine-of-center women like Young M.A. have been largely invisibilized because they are often either read as black men or experience being targeted and harassed because of their sexuality, gender and gender presentation. And yet, far too often, our masculine-of-center sistren—and femme ones, too, for that matter—aren’t immune to the adoption of gender norms and stereotypes that denigrate femininity, including femme women.

Without deeply addressing how white supremacy, misogyny, heterosexism, cis-sexism, classism and other oppressive systems shape and manifest in our lives, we cannot do the critical work of building a black future that is liberatory to all black people. Visibility is important, but it is an inadequate placeholder for creating a truly liberatory value system.

While problematic by many rights, Young M.A. is a striking and timely reminder that to be black is to be queer; not always in the literal sense, but blackness itself has been situated so outside of what is acceptable, revered and honorable that by its very nature, blackness is the “other.”

It has been “queered” to be the antithesis of normality. The queerness of blackness is what has resulted in the beautiful and remarkable creation that we call “black culture.” It is the reality that has given way to the ghettos and hip-hop and resistance that rappers have always rhymed about.

What Young M.A. means for the future of black women in rap has yet to be determined, but we must vigilantly continue to make space for people like her while holding her accountable for the toxicity of messages she pushes around women.

If we are working toward freedom, misogyny, no matter whose mouth it comes from, can have no seat at the table.

Samantha Master is a black-queer-feminist activist, educator and member of the Black Youth Project 100. Follow her on Twitter.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
You can suck my dick, if I had one!!!
Dec 01st 2016
I think I was meant to be an english professor cause I read this and
Dec 01st 2016
this part
Dec 01st 2016
lol..it's from theroot.com... of course it's lite on backup facts.
Dec 01st 2016
ok I thought I was missing something, lol
Dec 01st 2016
me too
Dec 01st 2016
Oooouuuuuuuu! The beat is very similar to Hawt Nagga!
Dec 01st 2016
Used every feminist buzzword in the book tho. Her point was sorta lost.
Dec 01st 2016
Bingo.
Dec 07th 2016
I think you made a post about her a YEAR before she even had a hit
Dec 07th 2016
okay, when i heard her i thought it was shmurda for the LONGEST
Dec 08th 2016
no shit. a dyke acting like a man? color me surprised.
Dec 01st 2016
haha.. basically.
Dec 01st 2016
but got the nerve to get mad when someone call's 'em "sir" or "young man...
Dec 06th 2016
say word, son.
Dec 01st 2016
That's all there is to it.
Dec 01st 2016
I think she's way more "hood Brooklyn" than misogynistic
Dec 01st 2016
they don't just intersect...they share the same damn
Dec 07th 2016
      I dont think every hood person hates women bc they use foul language
Dec 07th 2016
Got DAMN if this article doesn't have every Black Twitter buzzword
Dec 01st 2016
I got a funny Young M.A. story
Dec 01st 2016
Oooooouuuuuu!
Dec 06th 2016
this thread is now completely worthwhile LOL
Dec 06th 2016
Keep us updated fam, provide pics if possible.
Dec 07th 2016
Stefanie?
Dec 08th 2016
y'all sleeping on Oakland's Kamaiyah
Dec 07th 2016
she seems to be straight, afaik?
Dec 07th 2016
She's not lesbian but she's fiiiiiire
Dec 07th 2016
I'm still rockin w/ that EP
Dec 07th 2016
I'll ask around...
Dec 08th 2016
Didn't read it but she's dope. I like her...and re the misogyny..
Dec 07th 2016
Can we unpack this?
Dec 08th 2016
"You are Z, so you should relate to Y, and dislike A"
Dec 08th 2016
Black? She look Puerto Rican. LOL
Dec 07th 2016
oouuuuuuu! way too long and rambling for me.
Dec 08th 2016

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "You can suck my dick, if I had one!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought it was a nigga spittin until I heard that line.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:18 PM

2. "I think I was meant to be an english professor cause I read this and"
In response to Reply # 0

all I can think is, why isn't the author making clear Young Ma's misogyny?

Would it kill her to cite some lyrics?

Anyone, I can't think about Young MA too hard until she proves herself not to be a one hit wonder. I mean I hear her and think Bobby Shmurda all over again.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:24 PM

3. "this part"
In response to Reply # 2

>all I can think is, why isn't the author making clear Young
>Ma's misogyny?
>
>Would it kill her to cite some lyrics?

I get what she saying, but this is written terribly.

M.A. represents the ethos (if you will) of the kind of men that birthed the feminist movement (or sumn like that). So she's pushing the LGBT envelope and setting wimminfolk back #AtTheSameDamnTime

but jus say that $hit.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:47 PM

6. "lol..it's from theroot.com... of course it's lite on backup facts. "
In response to Reply # 2

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 01:15 PM

8. "ok I thought I was missing something, lol"
In response to Reply # 2

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 01:56 PM

9. "me too"
In response to Reply # 2

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 02:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "Oooouuuuuuuu! The beat is very similar to Hawt Nagga!"
In response to Reply # 2

>
>Anyone, I can't think about Young MA too hard until she proves
>herself not to be a one hit wonder. I mean I hear her and
>think Bobby Shmurda all over again.
>

Shit's cool for the time being but it ain't getting no burn in three or four years.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17897 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 02:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Used every feminist buzzword in the book tho. Her point was sorta lost."
In response to Reply # 2

I thought the same thing when I read it. Like- give examples other than how you feel.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

illEskoBar221
Member since Oct 18th 2004
8453 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 08:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
22. "Bingo. "
In response to Reply # 13

<----- Genesis is deep my features are that of a God

http://illeskobar.deviantart.com/
http://thisiskyleskorner.blogspot.com/

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 01:30 PM

25. "I think you made a post about her a YEAR before she even had a hit"
In response to Reply # 2

>all I can think is, why isn't the author making clear Young
>Ma's misogyny?
>
>Would it kill her to cite some lyrics?
>
>
>Anyone, I can't think about Young MA too hard until she proves
>herself not to be a one hit wonder. I mean I hear her and
>think Bobby Shmurda all over again.

It's kinda bizarre that you would be hesitant to give her a little credit at this point. Have we forgotten that THIS was Young M.A.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxfyKzVYc6U

My apologies if that wasn't you that made the post, but I think it was.

bonamie
Charter member
60263 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 12:58 PM

31. "okay, when i heard her i thought it was shmurda for the LONGEST"
In response to Reply # 2

and im like CAN NO ONE ELSE HEAR THIS?
she basically remade Hot Boy 2016
hack.

-----------------------------------
we aint the two and i aint the one- lyte

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85076 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:27 PM

4. "no shit. a dyke acting like a man? color me surprised."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79618 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:58 PM

7. "haha.. basically. "
In response to Reply # 4

they usually go overboard with it.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 10:40 PM

17. "but got the nerve to get mad when someone call's 'em "sir" or "young man..."
In response to Reply # 7

One chick like that works at the 7-11 around the block. Everything about her is "bruh". Exaggerated hyper-masculine mannerisms, wears a hoodie under her 7-11 shirt, thugged out to hell, saggin' at work, Timbs that look like they've seen an ass kickin or two and them Rocket from Colors cornrows in her hair.

Old white lady from around the way came in to buy cigarettes and was like "Sir, do you sell <some generic ass brand of cigarettes>?"

She was HIGHLY offended and let it be known that she was "all woman" loudly and aggressively.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 02:16 PM

10. "say word, son."
In response to Reply # 4

LOL

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 04:44 PM

15. "That's all there is to it. "
In response to Reply # 4

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 12:30 PM

5. "I think she's way more "hood Brooklyn" than misogynistic "
In response to Reply # 0

Im sure if you drew up a Venn Diagram the two would intersect, but a heterosexual hood woman from Brooklyn will tell you "suck my dick" if you ask what time it is

you cant just make someone famous who grew up one way and expect them to be super different in front of cameras

MiracleRic
Member since Oct 21st 2002
45200 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "they don't just intersect...they share the same damn "
In response to Reply # 5

longitude and latitude

Let me sport my Air Hyperbole 2010s in peace. (c) ansomble

Building repetoires (c) spm since 1983

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 11:30 AM

24. "I dont think every hood person hates women bc they use foul language"
In response to Reply # 23

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 02:38 PM

12. "Got DAMN if this article doesn't have every Black Twitter buzzword"
In response to Reply # 0

EVER. Like, ALL of them....and all to say nothing at all.

One of the most pointlessly long articles I've ever read in life. SMMFH

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Dec-01-16 03:21 PM

14. "I got a funny Young M.A. story"
In response to Reply # 0

this cat I ran Call of Duty with on Xbox Live. His girl left him to be with her. This was about 2 years ago. But Ex was posting all kinds of pics of her and M.A. on her IG. She was a bottle service girl aspiring IG model and she was always promoting Young M.A.s shows and posting pics of them together. Well that ended and all those pics were gone, until recently. Young M.A. is going to be back in her area and guess who is back on the bandwagon?

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 09:59 PM

16. "Oooooouuuuuu!"
In response to Reply # 14

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Tue Dec-06-16 10:48 PM

18. "this thread is now completely worthwhile LOL"

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 05:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
27. "Keep us updated fam, provide pics if possible."

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Just trying to share the world - www.JySbr.net

BlackLex
Charter member
552 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 09:03 PM

35. "Stefanie?"

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 01:49 AM

19. "y'all sleeping on Oakland's Kamaiyah"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 02:01 AM

20. "she seems to be straight, afaik?"
In response to Reply # 19

I don't have like a scorecard or something, but all her songs are about dudes.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 02:02 PM

26. "She's not lesbian but she's fiiiiiire "

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 06:29 PM

28. "I'm still rockin w/ that EP "
In response to Reply # 26

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 01:10 AM

30. "I'll ask around..."

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 07:43 AM

21. "Didn't read it but she's dope. I like her...and re the misogyny.."
In response to Reply # 0

...some of the most ''patriarchal' people I've met are women who happen to work in women studies and consider themselves feminists.
Things be like that sometimes.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49420 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 01:00 PM

33. "Can we unpack this?"
In response to Reply # 21

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 08:27 PM

34. ""You are Z, so you should relate to Y, and dislike A" "
In response to Reply # 21

>...some of the most ''patriarchal' people I've met are women
>who happen to work in women studies and consider themselves
>feminists.
>Things be like that sometimes.
>

it sounds cool but often that's just not how people are. Human beings are generally too complicated & selfish for all of that.

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Wed Dec-07-16 09:06 PM

29. "Black? She look Puerto Rican. LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

bonamie
Charter member
60263 posts
Thu Dec-08-16 12:59 PM

32. "oouuuuuuu! way too long and rambling for me."
In response to Reply # 0

-----------------------------------
we aint the two and i aint the one- lyte

Lobby General Discussion topic #13100593 Previous topic | Next topic