Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13097258

Subject: "Fellas...a lining (edge up) post" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Fellas...a lining (edge up) post"

So...how long generally, after a your barber hits you off with the fresh edge up, before it starts to get a little fuzzy again?
This is sort of a twist on that post we had a couple years ago about your barber pushing your lining back. I decided a lil bit ago, I was going sans lining. Like...straight Michael Ealy in this piece and here's why. I was blessed with a great, full head of hair. (peace to the ancestors). No receding issues of any kind in my future. But...the way my lining grows...or maybe the way my scalp is...I can't get a super, laser-sharp line. My head is just not here for it. That's cool. I can accept that. My barber right now has been cutting my son and I for about 2 years. Good dude. We're the same age, so we click. Chill outside the barber shop every now and then. One day I sat him down and was like "yo...I know you're an artist, this is your craft and you strive for perfection...but it's cool if you can't get the super tight edge on my cut...I'd prefer it to just be natural. Cool. For many cuts, we did it just like that. He'd just barely touch it up to keep it basically where the lining naturally wanted to be. Everything proper. Then one week, I guess he was in barber mode and pushed it ever.so.slightly. I ain't say nothing about it. For the first couple of days, it was fire...then, it started fuzzing up a bit. So, next cut I was like "aye, I'm trying something different. Same cut, but no lining...at all. You think that's crazy?" He was like, nah...I haven't lined myself up in years. So, here we are...no lining and lovin it. Every so often it gets a little frisky, but I just nip it with my Styliners and everything is Gucci.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I haven't shaped my hair up since the 90s
Nov 22nd 2016
so, you just let it do it's thing as far as the forehead and sides?
Nov 22nd 2016
      Yeah, but I have one of those "natural" shape ups
Nov 22nd 2016
           I hate you...that's dope. ALL MY LIFE I HAD TO FIGHT!!!
Nov 22nd 2016
i always keep it lined up even if i'm letting the rest go wild
Nov 22nd 2016
Yep. That's what I've been doing lately.
Nov 22nd 2016
I go with an edge up on the back of the neck and the beard
Nov 22nd 2016
I'm about to do sme thing similar. No line across the front...
Nov 22nd 2016
aha....our hair grows similar in that respect...
Nov 22nd 2016
      Since my head is all grey/silver now, my guy can't even...
Nov 22nd 2016
           lol...there's a dude at my shop who gets the Bigen job done...
Nov 22nd 2016
           I'll do you one better.
Nov 22nd 2016
           BWAHAHAH....lookin like Predator with a motorcycle helmet on
Nov 22nd 2016
                that's actually a spot-on description. Holy shit.
Nov 22nd 2016
           BRUH! BREH! BRAH!
Nov 22nd 2016
           yoooo....
Nov 22nd 2016
           You ain't slick, yo! Just wanted to bring up the fact that you..
Nov 22nd 2016
           Drawn on beards...
Nov 22nd 2016
                Heads looking liquid shoe polish bottle tops...
Nov 22nd 2016
           its a dude that gets a razor line up and bigen WEEKLY
Nov 22nd 2016
           ole architectural digest head ass, lol
Nov 22nd 2016
           high definition..barber gotta use clairol instead of jing
Nov 22nd 2016
           I'll never understand that shit, man.
Nov 22nd 2016
                Riiiight! It's not only dudes with receding lines though...
Nov 22nd 2016
not as necessary as it usedta be
Nov 22nd 2016
3 days and mine aint sharp no mo...it's been delivert
Nov 22nd 2016
breh, I don't have the balls to even try cutting my own hair, lol...
Nov 22nd 2016
I'm bald so this don't really apply to me
Nov 22nd 2016
Files this under: NWSGH Problems...
Nov 22nd 2016
lol...joint was like "keep in touch"
Nov 22nd 2016
Nahmean, ...dem ninjaz went to get up on some Hoe follicles.
Nov 22nd 2016
^^^
Nov 22nd 2016
I hope I NEVER lose mine. I got a STR8^ meathead.
Nov 22nd 2016
*passes out*
Nov 22nd 2016
yooooooo
Nov 22nd 2016
+1
Nov 22nd 2016
BUT...you got a beard, huh???
Nov 22nd 2016
      <---- this guy does.
Nov 22nd 2016
      Oh word bond, ...I STAY bearded up. Growin a wolf right NOW!
Nov 22nd 2016
      I'll keep..............holdin on.......holdin.....holdin ....holddiiiiin
Nov 22nd 2016
2-3 days
Nov 22nd 2016
you must've sat in the "Old Barber's" chair.
Nov 22nd 2016
My hair grows fast as hell
Nov 22nd 2016
yeah. the robocop is dead.
Nov 22nd 2016

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I haven't shaped my hair up since the 90s"
In response to Reply # 0

Went from braids to locs to more locs to a fro (which I'm still rocking today). My hair stays natty, so a shape-up would look a little odd IMHO. I do shape up my neck, but that's about it.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:06 AM

2. "so, you just let it do it's thing as far as the forehead and sides?"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13565 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:11 AM

7. "Yeah, but I have one of those "natural" shape ups"
In response to Reply # 2

My hair grows pretty close to how I would have it shaped anyway. I have a small widow's peak and the sideburns get a little wild, but overall it's close.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:23 AM

10. "I hate you...that's dope. ALL MY LIFE I HAD TO FIGHT!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:07 AM

3. "i always keep it lined up even if i'm letting the rest go wild"
In response to Reply # 0

if i felt like it i'd get it lined up every week. but most saturdays im too lazy to get up and go so i just end up doing touchups myself.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Yep. That's what I've been doing lately."
In response to Reply # 3

This new "doowhutchalike" style of hair cuts is perfect for lazy dudes like me.

Back again for the first time.

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I go with an edge up on the back of the neck and the beard"
In response to Reply # 0

my hair grows WAAAY too fast to try to keep a fresh line across the front. I'll *maybe* let him edge me up to my temples, but it really doesn't make a difference.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:10 AM

5. "I'm about to do sme thing similar. No line across the front..."
In response to Reply # 0

other than at the points. So, essentially, from the points to the back. I get tired of reminding my barber to leave the front as natural as possible. I've got a naturally crooked joint due to a cowlick. I'd prefer to be natural than to have a straight line created.

It's either let it grow or go back to shaping myself up which is not an issue except for the fact that I'd probably just go back to cutting it myself too. My guy may take offense to it especially since we are cool (hang outside of the shop).

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:17 AM

8. "aha....our hair grows similar in that respect..."
In response to Reply # 5

right now, I rock a drop fade with a "short" box that I sponge. This type jawn...without the parts and exaggerated lining: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bxp9nhbHN9Q/maxresdefault.jpg
But if my hair is cut to say, wave length...I have a cowlick dead in the front that if not cut right, will make it look like a have a little bald spot. My son has the same thing in the same spot. The man made straight line looks dope for like 2 days, then it tries to go back to it's normal place and it looks goofy. A dub for a 2 day sharp haircut is a bad look.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 12:55 PM

13. "Since my head is all grey/silver now, my guy can't even..."
In response to Reply # 8

begin to pull that BS airbrush gun outta the holster to spray that dye in my head. In my opinion, current barbers are providing a service demanded by their clients. However, the shit is wack to see kids and grown men walking around with jet black dye all around their hairline. I've seen a couple of guys get the full spray paint job on their whole damned heads. Carlos Boozer style!

http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_in_content_image/boozer_nwwfao.jpg

I want to get a fresh cut/shape-up but not look like I just left the shop. Wanna look like I been here and am not new here. LOL

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:05 PM

14. "lol...there's a dude at my shop who gets the Bigen job done..."
In response to Reply # 13

like every other Saturday. Barber even has the little cardboard piece to place on his line when he sprays the shit on. Listen, if you gotta have painters tape on your head for your lining to be filled in...just chill, lol.

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:09 PM

16. "I'll do you one better."
In response to Reply # 14

>Listen, if you gotta have painters tape on your head for
>your lining to be filled in...just chill, lol.

The maintenance guy at the J-O has receding dreads. So he gets his hairline painted on. Dreads across the back, slick ass forehead painted black. It looks ridiculous.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:29 PM

17. "BWAHAHAH....lookin like Predator with a motorcycle helmet on"
In response to Reply # 16

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:39 PM

23. "that's actually a spot-on description. Holy shit."
In response to Reply # 17

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:40 PM

24. "BRUH! BREH! BRAH!"

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VI5UJRXC8NU/Tt-xvrY0XgI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/szNzvkaLM_w/s1600/beijing.jpg

http://www.theroot.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/raylewissprayhair.jpg

http://img.youtube.com/vi/jTvIXPcD9Uw/sddefault.jpg

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:42 PM

25. "yoooo...."
In response to Reply # 24

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=13096080&mesg_id=13096080&page=2#13096224

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:54 PM

34. "You ain't slick, yo! Just wanted to bring up the fact that you.."
In response to Reply # 25

won that bet. LMAO

JK

Yeah! I actually put that bamma picture there because of your statement.

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:43 PM

26. "Drawn on beards..."
In response to Reply # 24

cats out here looking like Anime characters.

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:56 PM

35. "Heads looking liquid shoe polish bottle tops..."
In response to Reply # 26

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:01 PM

31. "its a dude that gets a razor line up and bigen WEEKLY"

dude gets his shit cut close, bigen, and then his entire line up is done with the t-edge AND a straight edge.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:31 PM

41. "ole architectural digest head ass, lol"
In response to Reply # 31

ambient1
Member since May 23rd 2007
41077 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:50 PM

44. "high definition..barber gotta use clairol instead of jing"

=======================================
Coolin...

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:06 PM

15. "I'll never understand that shit, man."
In response to Reply # 13

Creole
Charter member
15425 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:35 PM

22. "Riiiight! It's not only dudes with receding lines though..."
In response to Reply # 15

Some of these cats, have a full head of hair. They just want that line to be unnaturally straight. Perfect line straight. Amazing to me that parents would allow the chemical(s) to be sprayed into their child's head.

Influenced by old Steve Harvey when they need to be looking at new Steve Harvey.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 11:18 AM

9. "not as necessary as it usedta be"
In response to Reply # 0

I MIGHT be receding slowly, or maybe my hair just doesnt grow as fast as it used to.

I had to remind my barber as you stated to fall back on all the extra. I could feel him fking up and trying to make the corners match the front and I just str8 said 'aight, you good.' and stopped him right there in front of the other customers.

we cool. he's been to my crib a couple times...but I'm giving you $25. when I say you done...you done.

I can edge myself up. I'm finna try another barber and just have him fade me. I'll do the rest. LOL

My barber is the only one in his shop now, and I truly think the nxgga is SPOILED.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 12:06 PM

11. "3 days and mine aint sharp no mo...it's been delivert"
In response to Reply # 0

and i get the razor joints...
my hair grows DUMB fast though...always has

but I can't go the no shape-up route...cept today...
cuz I'm a few days overdue lookin like Earn from ATL

I used to (and still do on my off weeks) cut my own demo
my barber does a lil push back on one of my corners and it be iggin me but his way is better...my way is me tryin to hold on to what ain't there lol

Coolin...

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:30 PM

20. "breh, I don't have the balls to even try cutting my own hair, lol..."
In response to Reply # 11

I do my own beard. My barber doesn't even touch it...but not hair. Maybe I should start watching some of those Youtube barber videos.

tariqhu
Charter member
17882 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 12:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "I'm bald so this don't really apply to me"
In response to Reply # 0

anymore, but I hate those perfectly, damn near drawn on shape ups. it looks to crisp.

I cut my son's hair (not very good at shaping it up, lol), but I try to make sure the natural lines are there without looking to sharp.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:29 PM

18. "Files this under: NWSGH Problems..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ninjaz Who Still Got Hair - Problems.

Sheeiiitt, soon as I turned 28, my hair was like, "Peace out Bruh, you got dis".

I ain't seent my hairline, let alone a barber SINCE.....LOL.

I ain't trippin tho 'cus I've always looked good with a
dome-slick.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:31 PM

21. "lol...joint was like "keep in touch""
In response to Reply # 18

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:27 PM

39. "Nahmean, ...dem ninjaz went to get up on some Hoe follicles."
In response to Reply # 21

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:51 PM

27. "^^^"

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:54 PM

28. "I hope I NEVER lose mine. I got a STR8^ meathead."

My family goes gray early. I was going gray in college, but generally we don't lose it.

But lord help me if I do. When I used to try rock a fade or a low cut? My shit looks like an empty suede bag.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:57 PM

29. "*passes out*"
In response to Reply # 28

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4548 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:15 PM

36. "yooooooo"
In response to Reply # 28

>
>But lord help me if I do. When I used to try rock a fade or a
>low cut? My shit looks like an empty suede bag.
>
>

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:24 PM

33. "+1"

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
38. "BUT...you got a beard, huh???"

Barely anyone I know 30, 35+ has a full hairline AND full beard!

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:28 PM

40. "<---- this guy does."
In response to Reply # 38

>Barely anyone I know 30, 35+ has a full hairline AND full
>beard!

I'm out here like Black Jesus on that picture in the Evans Family living room.

NoDrawls McGraw
12122 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:33 PM

42. "Oh word bond, ...I STAY bearded up. Growin a wolf right NOW!"

For the cold season, I'm wolfin out.

I ain't seent my clean-shaven face in almost 20 years(and I'm in my 30's). I got a super babyface, if I shaved my beard,...copping beer would be a fucking hassle. I'd be gettin carded den a muhfukka.

Funny enough, my beard allowed me to cop beer for my ninjaz when I was 17. I was damn near a beer courier in the hood for underage ninjaz.
No lie, ninjaz usedta smoke me out and front me weed ta go cop dem hops&barley dem.

Good Times...

ambient1
41077 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:47 PM

43. "I'll keep..............holdin on.......holdin.....holdin ....holddiiiiin"

Over 35 ... got a beard and All my follicles

Coolin...

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 01:30 PM

19. "2-3 days"
In response to Reply # 0

I get a fade, keep a little on top. But I have a cowlick, so really after I wash my hair my line up loses it sharpness

I don't care though. I'd rather have a natural look then the nigga pushing my shit back 1/4 of an inch to have 90 degree angles and shit.

Once I tried out a new barber and this nigga pushed my shit back so far. Line was extra sharp like he pulled out a t square, but that shit was pushed back. and the nigga look like 90 mins cutting my shit

Shogun
3042 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:03 PM

32. "you must've sat in the "Old Barber's" chair."
In response to Reply # 19

>I don't care though. I'd rather have a natural look then the
>nigga pushing my shit back 1/4 of an inch to have 90 degree
>angles and shit.
>
>Once I tried out a new barber and this nigga pushed my shit
>back so far. Line was extra sharp like he pulled out a t
>square, but that shit was pushed back. and the nigga look like
>90 mins cutting my shit

I was in a rush once and the old dude had an empty chair. Everybody else was 3 customers deep. Nobody tried to give me a head's up either...bastards. At least somebody could've given me the *look*, like "0don't fuck with him".

Long story short? He kept pushing it back until he finally got the line up right. I left looking like George Jefferson. NEVER sit in the old guy's chair. It's empty for a reason.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 02:01 PM

30. "My hair grows fast as hell"
In response to Reply # 0

and I got that widows peak. It's a struggle. I'll edge it up but that peak grows back fast as shit.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Nov-22-16 03:22 PM

37. "yeah. the robocop is dead. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Lobby General Discussion topic #13097258 Previous topic | Next topic