Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13096520

Subject: "Did we talk about this swag surf at the White House after party?" Previous topic | Next topic
PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Sun Nov-20-16 04:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Did we talk about this swag surf at the White House after party?"
Sun Nov-20-16 04:43 PM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

Please tell me Barack is in the middle of that crowd lol
https://www.instagram.com/p/BM4pRGFgeRE/

http://www.spin.com/2016/11/swag-surf-white-house/

Earlier this week, BET aired Love and Happiness: A Musical Experience—a concert tribute to Barack Obama. This was the same event that Dave Chappelle referenced in his recent Saturday Night Live monologue—you can spot Bradley Cooper in the audience, just like Chappelle promised.

The overriding tone of the BET special was bittersweet, a look at black joy in the White House. The show was taped in late October, well before anyone knew the presidency was doomed to Donald Trump’s hateful worldview. It wasn’t that long ago when black people couldn’t even get into the White House; on that October night, it became a free black space for a short time. But white nationalists will soon be walking its halls.

If it doesn’t hit you that this the cruelest hairpin turn in American history, there’s this clip of the show’s predominantly black audience surfing to Fast Life Yungstaz’s modern nightlife spiritual, “Swag Surfin’.” DJ D-Nice, who held down after-party duties at the White House’s East Room, reposted a clip of the attendees dancing in unison. The Washington Post published an account of the iconic moment in after-party DJ’ing history.

At about 10 p.m., attendees headed to the East Room for the after-party starring DJ D-Nice. And that is when things really got loose. According to one source, folks tried to “look cute” while the legendary DJ spun old- and new-school hits but “that ended quickly.” By this point in the night the president was sans jacket and tie, with his shirt sleeves rolled up dancing with abandon to Drake’s “Hotline Bling.”

“You could see that the Obamas felt very comfortable,” said our source. “They were with their people — and I don’t mean African Americans — people who’d supported them and held them up and allowed them to do what they do. It was a really special night.”
You smile at this anecdote until it hits you: It’ll be a long while before we ever see this display of preternatural rhythm and jubilance in the White House. The Unblackening has happened and for the next few years we’ll look at these seconds-long clips as distant, idyllic memories. Chappelle thrives in absurdities, but they’re often grounded in truth. He wasn’t lying when he said that night at the White House was a beautiful thing.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
whoa thats sick
Nov 20th 2016
We may never see anything like that again. At least in my lifetime.
Nov 21st 2016
Nothing but the waltz and foxtrot for the next 50 years
Nov 21st 2016
when did swag surfin become a THING though?
Nov 21st 2016
it's always been a thing in the south and at hbcus
Nov 21st 2016
      word. this would make sense...
Nov 21st 2016
i know these dead presidents doing all types of barrel rolls in the grav...
Nov 21st 2016
caskets. on. fire. (add your own handclaps
Nov 21st 2016
I just read the article. I NEED footage of this
Nov 21st 2016
Bet he had those Drake moves down too
Nov 21st 2016
Michelle, I need the footage of Michelle
Nov 21st 2016
omg......that looked like so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 21st 2016

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Sun Nov-20-16 05:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "whoa thats sick"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 11:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "We may never see anything like that again. At least in my lifetime. "
In response to Reply # 0

And I think the other side saw it and made a pledge to make sure we will never see that again...in their lifetime.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 12:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Nothing but the waltz and foxtrot for the next 50 years"
In response to Reply # 2

PROMO
Charter member
30962 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 11:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "when did swag surfin become a THING though? "
In response to Reply # 0

i mean, i fucked w/ F.L.Y. and swag surfin back in '09 when it dropped and i'd be swag surfin to NON-"Swag Surfin" songs (cuz they didn't even play Swag Surfin in Seattle except in my apartment).

now, it probably was always a thing in the south and i just don't know about it, but i feel like it caught on in NYC clubs a couple years ago and here we are.

it's just so odd for something like this to still be culturally relevant so many years later. it's not like people are still cranking that soulja boy.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85066 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 11:10 AM

4. "it's always been a thing in the south and at hbcus"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Nov-21-16 11:11 AM by BrooklynWHAT

after people left the south and hbcus to go back where they came they took it with them.

we used to do it at HS football games all the time. it's hella fun at sporting events. im surprised it isnt more popular tbh.

<--- Big Baller World Order

PROMO
Charter member
30962 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "word. this would make sense..."
In response to Reply # 4

>after people left the south and hbcus to go back where they
>came they took it with them.

i just wondered because i always loved it and it never caught on 'round these parts then when i saw NYC clubs doing it, it just seemed to be so random years later but your explanation might be right on.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 12:36 PM

7. "i know these dead presidents doing all types of barrel rolls in the grav..."
In response to Reply # 0

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 05:44 PM

10. "caskets. on. fire. (add your own handclaps"
In response to Reply # 7

for emphasis).

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

PimpTrickGangstaClik
15894 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 12:40 PM

8. "I just read the article. I NEED footage of this"
In response to Reply # 0

"By this point in the night the president was sans jacket and tie, with his shirt sleeves rolled up dancing with abandon to Drake’s “Hotline Bling.”

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 04:47 PM

9. "Bet he had those Drake moves down too"
In response to Reply # 8

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79574 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 06:36 PM

11. "Michelle, I need the footage of Michelle"
In response to Reply # 8

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

EAS
Charter member
1702 posts
Mon Nov-21-16 08:36 PM

12. "omg......that looked like so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

i liked the song, but i didn't know there was a dance to go along with it.

now back to crying because it will never happen again for a long ass time.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13096520 Previous topic | Next topic