Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13088398

Subject: "Raising black boys in a predominantly white neighbourhood...any tips?" Previous topic | Next topic
Heat
Charter member
708 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 03:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Raising black boys in a predominantly white neighbourhood...any tips?"

So I have a two year old boy who is due to start kindergarten next year. He is quite independent and can be boisterous.

Given the accounts of young black boys being victimised, any one have any tips for raising young black boys in to well rounded, woke young men (in countries with virtually no black people)?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
None of the following advice is from personal experience but...
Oct 31st 2016
Oct 31st 2016
Family. Community.
Oct 31st 2016
agreed.
Oct 31st 2016
Here's what my mom did
Oct 31st 2016
what does the talk consist of?
Oct 31st 2016
My mom was pretty blunt. You are black, they are white
Oct 31st 2016
to be honest I responded like a hard headed kid
Oct 31st 2016
      When did your bubble pop?
Oct 31st 2016
           Pretty much Jr. High
Oct 31st 2016
My mom did the same thing... but much earlier
Oct 31st 2016
From a former teachers perspective:
Oct 31st 2016
a 2 year old starting kindergarten?
Oct 31st 2016
1-8 are great suggestions
Oct 31st 2016
you mean pre-K?
Oct 31st 2016
RE: you mean pre-K?
Nov 01st 2016
I was a bus kid...some ideas
Oct 31st 2016
the mental image i have of this got me weak
Oct 31st 2016
      Ultimately it added some dimension to my personality
Oct 31st 2016
RE: Raising black boys in a predominantly white neighbourhood...any tips...
Oct 31st 2016
you have to deliberately socialize them with black people.
Oct 31st 2016
RE: Raising black boys in a predominantly white neighbourhood...any tips...
Oct 31st 2016
How's the racism over there and what industry are you in?
Oct 31st 2016
      RE: How's the racism over there and what industry are you in?
Nov 01st 2016
           hey i'm from Dublin. How's it going so far?
Nov 02nd 2016
DON'T.
Oct 31st 2016
RE: DON'T.
Nov 01st 2016
Are there any black neighborhoods where you live?
Nov 01st 2016
I grew up in the burbs but our black community was strong as fuck
Nov 01st 2016
      If he can find a positive community for his son, that would help a lot
Nov 01st 2016
this post is sad as fuck
Nov 02nd 2016

Moonlit_Force
Member since Oct 10th 2005
8643 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 05:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "None of the following advice is from personal experience but..."
In response to Reply # 0

...it's how I would go about doing it if I were in the same situation.

1.) Nurture the relationships of extended family and build strong ties with them (if possible). Our communities are deteriorating without that solid foundation in place imo.

2.) Supplement any American history he learns in school with an account from our perspective.

3.) Consider forging friendships with any other poc's in your neighborhood so he is exposed to more than a dichotomized view of race and ensure that he holds some degree of respect for diversity.

4.) Seek out black or brown pediatricians, doctors, dentists etc in your area.

5.) It may sound shitty but make a strong, positive impression with his teachers so he is not overlooked, targeted (as a scapegoat), or underestimated.

Good luck

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79823 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 07:20 AM

2. "#5"
In response to Reply # 1

It sounds like dude isn't in America and doesn't have a lot of Black folk in his country.. or hood.

Best bet is being active and involved with his school. Volunteer and keep an open dialogue with the teachers.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 07:25 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Family. Community."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-31-16 07:26 AM by SoWhat

1. He has a black family. Do what you need to for him to have strong ties to them. If they're miles away then send him to them for the summer. The WHOLE summer. If you don't get along with them then fix that shit. For him.

2. If there is a black church then join it. You don't have to believe. You can deprogram him at home. But join a black church. For the congregation. And get him involve in it - don't just go once per week. Let him make friends there.

3. If there is a black neighborhood around then find a community center. Get involved. They prolly have kid stuff.

4. BLACK BARBERSHOP.

fuck you.

bonamie
Charter member
60263 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 01:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "agreed."
In response to Reply # 3

-----------------------------------
we aint the two and i aint the one- lyte

Atillah Moor
Member since Sep 05th 2013
13825 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 08:29 AM

4. "Here's what my mom did"
In response to Reply # 0

Reinforced the key tenants of the "talk" basically from about Jr. High through high school

Always had my back and told me as much. I wish I had understood what she meant by that, but looking back I can recall many times where she had no qualms going straight at teachers and parents she believed to be out of line. I just wish she had told me more about the reality surrounding all of that, but I guess maybe she felt trying to put all of that on a preteen would be a heavy load.

Didn't interfere with the friendships I made even if she maybe felt there weren't as many brown faces in my rather small circle of friends

Was heavily invested in my education and the quality of it

tariqhu
Charter member
17911 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 08:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "what does the talk consist of?"
In response to Reply # 4

how did you respond?

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

legsdiamond
79823 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 08:41 AM

7. "My mom was pretty blunt. You are black, they are white "
In response to Reply # 5

If you ever feel like you are being treated differently due to your skin color ask to see the nurse and call me and I will be down there ASAP.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 09:42 AM

10. "to be honest I responded like a hard headed kid "
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Oct-31-16 09:51 AM by Atillah Moor

primarily because I was in a bubble, but as I became an adult and the realities of race/racism became more and more obvious her words which I never really forgot were right there to help me with the understanding and navigating of said reality.

The core tenants are basically

1. Folks will come at you because you are black AND male. (if the kid is tall/big then you add that as well)

2. If a police officer asks you do to do something just be quiet and do it

3. Your friends who are white will be able to get away with things that you will not so don't follow their actions should they act out of hand

4. Don't forget where or who you come from

legsdiamond
79823 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 11:18 AM

14. "When did your bubble pop? "
In response to Reply # 10
Mon Oct-31-16 11:36 AM by legsdiamond

Was there one incident or years of shit that bubbled over?

For me it was 3rd grade. We had a marathon/cross country and it was a big deal. 5 or 6 laps around school grounds. I beat the teachers kid (he stepped in a hole and twisted his ankle while we were running next to each other)

His mom (one of my teachers) cursed me out. The gym teacher had to step in.

3rd grade is where I went from being cute to a problem.

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 12:48 PM

16. "Pretty much Jr. High "
In response to Reply # 14

legsdiamond
79823 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 08:36 AM

6. "My mom did the same thing... but much earlier"
In response to Reply # 4

I had a problem pronouncing my R's and used to write my 7's backwards in 1st grade. They put me in remedial classes and my mom marched down there and raised hell.

Later on she ran for school board and was elected. Anytime a black student had problems my mom was the first on the scene.

You really have to fight for Black kids when it's a predominantly white school.

It's best to befriend the teachers but sometimes you have to fight and speak up to make sure your kid isn't being treated like a problem.

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 08:51 AM

8. "From a former teachers perspective:"
In response to Reply # 0

Stay in the teacher's face, to let them know that you will be involved.

Teachers target black boys, even in preschool. ESPECIALLY in environments that are majority white. Make time to do things like go on field trips, pop up unannounced/early to get your kid, join them at lunch.
Be sure to regularly talk to him bout his school day. Really talk to him. Also, recognize that his vocab is gonna be limited, by definition, so do what you can to gradually increase it by talking to him. Teach him emotional language, to help him share how he feels more clearly.

Sounds like a lot, i know, but I've seen people's prejudices against black preschool children (boys, in particular) in action...and yeah. Psychotic.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85115 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 09:25 AM

9. "a 2 year old starting kindergarten?"
In response to Reply # 0

is this some new school shit? pre-preschool?

<--- Big Baller World Order

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 10:40 AM

11. "1-8 are great suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 10:58 AM

12. "you mean pre-K?"
In response to Reply # 0

if little man is starting Kindergarten, rumble, young man

Heat
Charter member
708 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 01:18 AM

26. "RE: you mean pre-K?"
In response to Reply # 12

This is pre-school. He will start in a few months once he is 3yrs old

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 10:59 AM

13. "I was a bus kid...some ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

-I grew up in the hood but when it came to go to jr high and high school i was bused into the white schools. True, I did in fact encounter some racist ass kids. Was called nigger or hear kids say some real bold racist shit

-I wished that I was given tools to be bold and call them kids out in real time. I mean, I did call them out but it wasnt always direct and really as a kid during that time I was more worried about being an awkward kid so I spent more time trying to just chill and fit in

-What did help was that from a very early age I was exposed to a ton of black stuff, it was just a part of life and living. I had golden legacy comics, I saw Farrakhan speak several times, we routinely celebrated Kawanza without irony, I was sent off to elementary school with a dashiki over my school uniform...so I knew where the fuck I came from - the only problem is that this pro blackety black stuff alienated me from the black kids which put me in a strange place because the white kids were like "Thats a cool shirt bro!"

TL;DR
Teach them how to not take shit from ANYBODY because they will know who they are because they've been instilled with some history so their pushback will be righteous

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

BrooklynWHAT
85115 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 01:03 PM

17. "the mental image i have of this got me weak"
In response to Reply # 13

>so I knew where the fuck I came from - the only
>problem is that this pro blackety black stuff alienated me
>from the black kids which put me in a strange place because
>the white kids were like "Thats a cool shirt bro!"
>

im sure that was a very awkward moment for you but awkward shit is the best comedy.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 01:44 PM

20. "Ultimately it added some dimension to my personality"
In response to Reply # 17

>>so I knew where the fuck I came from - the only
>>problem is that this pro blackety black stuff alienated me
>>from the black kids which put me in a strange place because
>>the white kids were like "Thats a cool shirt bro!"
>>
>
>im sure that was a very awkward moment for you but awkward
>shit is the best comedy.

it was awkward because I felt black as hell but it was only the white kids who were down for me at white schools

now, if I were on point I would have gone to a HBCU and been exposed to the spectrum of blackness but I didnt realize such a thing existed until later in life

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Heat
Charter member
708 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 12:06 PM

15. "RE: Raising black boys in a predominantly white neighbourhood...any tips..."
In response to Reply # 0

Guys.... I really appreciate they advice given so far including the personal accounts. It really is some of the most useful advice, I've heard on this issue

BrooklynWHAT
85115 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 01:11 PM

18. "you have to deliberately socialize them with black people."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-31-16 01:13 PM by BrooklynWHAT

idk what kind of rules your area sports have but if it's not neighborhood/area based then get him in some black programs.

Heat
Charter member
708 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 03:46 PM

21. "RE: Raising black boys in a predominantly white neighbourhood...any tips..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm in Dublin, Ireland by the way, in case anyone was wondering

Atillah Moor
13825 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 04:04 PM

22. "How's the racism over there and what industry are you in? "
In response to Reply # 21

Is your spouse also black? Lastly, I can't imagine a black child's experience in Ireland being anywhere near what it could or would be in the states. Not to say you shouldn't have the concerns that you do.

Heat
Charter member
708 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 01:01 AM

24. "RE: How's the racism over there and what industry are you in? "
In response to Reply # 22

Wife and I are both Ghanaian but We lived in the UK prior to moving to Ireland (I am actually UK born). I work within banking and finance.

With respect to racism can't say I've experienced anything overt. That said, I find the people to be quite insular which jars from my experience of Irish people in the UK. Also my experience travelling around Europe as a black Brit has typically garnered a certain level of intrigue from the locals but the Irish appear to be totally indifferent.

Given the proximity and the history between the two countries, it's difficult to guage whether that difference is due to being British, Black or neither (I.e. Thats just the way they are).

May be I'm being overly cautious but it's my inability to read these folks that's got my spidy sense on overdrive, hence the question regarding my young one. Either way the advice given to date would apply in the UK as well

mellowboogie
Member since Jun 26th 2006
3608 posts
Wed Nov-02-16 01:23 AM

30. "hey i'm from Dublin. How's it going so far? "
In response to Reply # 24

Have you looked into the 'educate together' schools? The whole ethos is based around educating kids from all different cultures together. I plan on sending my daughter to one in a couple of years.

'Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent. ~Victor Hugo'

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Oct-31-16 04:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "DON'T."
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Just trying to share the world - www.JySbr.net

Heat
Charter member
708 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 01:12 AM

25. "RE: DON'T."
In response to Reply # 23

I don't really have a choice at this time...I plan on moving to the UK when the right opportunity springs up and whilst it's better in terms of a black populace it has a whole other set of problems to navigate in terms of raising kids

What's the reasoning behind your position?

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13586 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 09:45 AM

27. "Are there any black neighborhoods where you live?"
In response to Reply # 0

I lived in a white neighborhood here for a few years, and I really didn't like how difficult it seemed for my son to socialize with other kids. I solved that by going to the playground/park in the black neighborhood instead of right down the street. Eventually moved over to the black neighborhood.

The biggest issue I had was the sense of exclusion that black folks can feel in white neighborhoods around here. I grew up in overwhelmingly majority-black environments until college, so I just don't have the tools to deal with and help guide him through that passive-aggressive nonsense.

legsdiamond
79823 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 11:49 AM

28. "I grew up in the burbs but our black community was strong as fuck"
In response to Reply # 27

We had a reunion every year for all the black folk to come back home and kick it once a year. We used to have a VFW where all the black musicians would come and play back in the day after they played up in Pittsburgh at the white only joints.

I can't imagine growing up without some type of black community to hold you down when whitey starts tripping.

My wife works at a preschool for the arts with a bunch of white women and she is prolly going to quit because those white women and their passive aggressive bullshit are too much for her to deal with.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13586 posts
Tue Nov-01-16 12:11 PM

29. "If he can find a positive community for his son, that would help a lot"
In response to Reply # 28

>We had a reunion every year for all the black folk to come
>back home and kick it once a year. We used to have a VFW where
>all the black musicians would come and play back in the day
>after they played up in Pittsburgh at the white only joints.
>
>I can't imagine growing up without some type of black
>community to hold you down when whitey starts tripping.

Even without the neighborhood folks, I stayed on basketball teams, an all-black Boy Scout troop, summer camps w/ other black kids, black parades & festivals, etc. I didn't hang with the riff-raff around my way too much, so my parents sent me around the city to do things.

>My wife works at a preschool for the arts with a bunch of
>white women and she is prolly going to quit because those
>white women and their passive aggressive bullshit are too much
>for her to deal with.

Man, I was just talking about this with a friend of mine. Working downtown really starts wearing on a dude after a while. We were just talking about the "look away,"

http://c8.alamy.com/comp/AYTGGX/blonde-haired-teenage-woman-looking-sad-looking-away-with-man-walking-AYTGGX.jpg

Sometimes they start doing it 1/4 block away, and in places where there is nothing to even look at over there.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10125 posts
Wed Nov-02-16 02:57 AM

31. "this post is sad as fuck"
In response to Reply # 0

wypipo have really done a number on the pysche of Blacks, particularly in the United Snakes of America

Lobby General Discussion topic #13088398 Previous topic | Next topic