Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13086032

Subject: "Taking a paycut for a new job?" Previous topic | Next topic
shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 11:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Taking a paycut for a new job?"

Have any of yall done this? I'm just starting to put my feelers out there and i'm realizing that anything i might be interested in right now wouldnt pay any where near what i currently make. I got one call back about an application and the hr lady told me the salary...thepay cut would've been over 20%.

I currently work with good people but i really dont like what i'm doing right now. But i do like making what i currently make. I dont work in a high paying field nor do i have skils that command a high salary. So i feel really lucky to be earning the little bit that i am right now. But like, every morning i want to slit my throat....

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
not only a pay cut but also a more expensive area
Oct 25th 2016
I've had to do it in the past and, truthfully, I'm still taking a paycut...
Oct 25th 2016
not yet....but i might if I make a move
Oct 25th 2016
i did it last year. better benefits, better hours, less stress. but
Oct 25th 2016
this is a fear of mine.
Oct 25th 2016
i won't leave money on the table
Oct 25th 2016
well, if you want to slit your throat then sure...
Oct 25th 2016
That new position could also become just as throat slitable.
Oct 25th 2016
been there
Oct 25th 2016
yo...can you link up with a recruiter?
Oct 25th 2016
I'm too old to do that.
Oct 25th 2016
I've done it...
Oct 25th 2016
I'm in that same position now but...
Oct 25th 2016
I had the same situation recently
Oct 26th 2016
Took a paycut and added a commute
Oct 26th 2016
i haven't but could see it happening if i hated my job
Oct 26th 2016

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "not only a pay cut but also a more expensive area"
In response to Reply # 0

moved from Greenville SC to DC making 30% less
ended up making that 30% up and more in 2 years though

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 12:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I've had to do it in the past and, truthfully, I'm still taking a paycut..."
In response to Reply # 0

One of my last few jobs had me taking a serious pay cut to get my foot in the door.

Right now I'm charging my clients about half of what I would normally get for working outside the house just to try to be competitive, which is hard 'cause for remote work I'm also competing against Pajeet and Kumar and they're only charging $6/hr for the same work.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "not yet....but i might if I make a move"
In response to Reply # 0

im in a strange area where i can either go up 30% with the next position or go down 30% with the next position but the idea of continuing at my current rate is kind of an impossibility

im scarring away recruiters

hell, I had a hell of a great conversation with a company that rhymes with Hew Nork Limes and they were willing to play ball but as soon as I mentioned my current situation they were like...

"Uhh...zippity doo dah! bye bye!"

Point is if you NEED to find a new job then I get it, but if you can wait until the right match comes along then wait...going down can affect your next few years

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Government Name
Member since Dec 16th 2005
23190 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 12:23 PM

4. "i did it last year. better benefits, better hours, less stress. but "
In response to Reply # 0

i think about leaving the bread on the table every single day

________
http://twitter.com/aehorton
http://instagram.com/aehorton

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "this is a fear of mine."
In response to Reply # 0

I make pretty good money and don't want to go into management. that might be the only way to get more money tho.

if I leave this job/comp, it'll likely be for less. its a good team, good boss, and I like my job. they gotta kick me out.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

BigJazz
Charter member
24443 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 12:46 PM

6. "i won't leave money on the table"
In response to Reply # 0

i've never left a job to go to one that paid less.

i've been out of work and accepted a job paying less than my previous because i figured the potential was there to recoup my loot.

but i know what it's like to hate your job. to sit there in the parking lot before work convincing yourself not to go in there and choke the shit outta somebody. that's when you gotta make finding a new job your 2nd full time job.

i've been offered jobs that paid less that some would say had better perks. i've turned them all down. i can't rationalize leaving money on the table.

i'm the guy that looks at sports fans funny when they wonder why so & so ain't take a paycut for whatever reason.

if you not willing to take care of those TPS reports for less money then why should that athlete work for anything less than what they can command?

and this is coming from a Laker fan that watched Kobe handcuff us for 2 years with that last contract.

don't leave money on the table...

I ain't lyin. This shit i'm making up is true...

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79600 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 12:54 PM

7. "well, if you want to slit your throat then sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

but if you are just frustrated with the gig... hell nah.

I'm on the hunt but one gig told me the starting salary and I ended the interview right there.

No need to waste both our time.

I gotsta get paid

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cam
Charter member
13286 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 01:01 PM

8. "That new position could also become just as throat slitable."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-25-16 01:03 PM by Cam

Doing similar work you hate, but instead of working with people you like, the team could be a group of assholes, matched with the 20% less pay...I don't know if it would be worth it to me. I would take a cut if it was something I really loved though.

Does the current job offer any incentives, such as reimbursements for degrees, or certificates or training?
If so, take advantage, and develop a more lucrative skill-set that would get you out of there.

An example, most NYC assistant builing supers and porters aren't paid well, and prob say the same thing you say about your position. However, they are in the same industry and are a simple 5 day class, test and liscene away from the qualifications needed to become a NYC Site Safety Manager. In NYC the city license https://goo.gl/1aKNLs needed to become a building Site Safety Manager is $300, with a $150 annual fee to maintian it. But, there's a week long course https://goo.gl/Qy6aKe (approx $700) and a test https://goo.gl/9aTXm3 (approx $500) needed as a prerequisite. The fees might seem daunting, but after, this is an example of what those jobs pay...https://goo.gl/rGi6Hm

Calico
Charter member
24604 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 01:16 PM

9. "been there"
In response to Reply # 0

military contractor.... contract ended, my job got cut and I basically got less pay to do about the same job.... it was temporary, but the long kind of temporary....

made me really appreciate what I made before and become more frugal with my loot... it's very rough, but I know people who have been unemployed for years, and I'd rather have the pay cut/change of jobs than that....

"yes, sometimes my rhymes are sexist, but you lovely bitches and hos should know i'm tryin to correct it"- hiphopopotamus

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 01:43 PM

10. "yo...can you link up with a recruiter? "
In response to Reply # 0

i have no idea what you do but recruiters are hungry fucking parasites that will get you more money if your skills and experience are there.

i jumped 40% because of the work my recruiter put in.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 02:01 PM

11. "I'm too old to do that."
In response to Reply # 0

Only way i'd consider it if it was shorter hours or more personal time where i could make more money on the side.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 02:45 PM

12. "I've done it..."
In response to Reply # 0

It was a big risk. But I ended up doing something much more rewarding. I hated my old job. I don't hate what I do now.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

CocoaCure
Member since Sep 23rd 2002
8926 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 02:52 PM

13. "I'm in that same position now but..."
In response to Reply # 0

The experience I'll gain getting my foot in the door in the new gig will allow me to write my own ticket to a much more lucrative gig later. Plus, the job title I moved to will help a whole hell of a lot with that as well. It's for a great non-profit org and I don't think I'll want to stab people all the time like I do now.

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Wed Oct-26-16 12:09 AM

14. "I had the same situation recently"
In response to Reply # 0

If you can handle less money then doing something you like is more than worth it.

But if you value money - and don't mind feeling like you want to slit your throat each day - then stay at your current job.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Sepia.
Member since Feb 25th 2009
12896 posts
Wed Oct-26-16 12:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "Took a paycut and added a commute"
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely cheaper up front to stay at my old, dead-end job, but in the long run
I'm investing in a career that can pay pretty well. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

gumz
Member since Jan 09th 2005
20118 posts
Wed Oct-26-16 09:36 AM

16. "i haven't but could see it happening if i hated my job"
In response to Reply # 0

or had an opportunity to do something i wanted more...it would need to have some growth potential though so that i could earn that back and then some.

It's all about what your priorities are. if the paycut is going to hurt your lifestyle then is it worth it? do you want the job bad enough? if so then go ahead. if they paycut isn't going to impact your life much then it's a no-brainer, assuming you really want this other job. flip side is, if you don't mind your current job and enjoy the money you might as well stay until something better that also pays comes along.

http://www.youtube.com/user/gumzization
twitter: @BrosefMalone

Lobby General Discussion topic #13086032 Previous topic | Next topic