Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13085814

Subject: "Brain function" Previous topic | Next topic
GQ
Charter member
1369 posts
Mon Oct-24-16 08:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Brain function"

What's out there to improve focus and brain function. I can't focus for more than a few minutes these days. I know there's no 'limitless' pill. But what's out there? Herbs? Pills? Help a playa out!

"You don't like climbing trees?......You're missin' out." - Michael Jackson

"But Michael, you're a 44-year-old man now, what do you get out of
this?" - Martin Bashir

"Prince Michael II but we call him Blanket......because it's an expression I use

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Aside from amphetamines....
Oct 24th 2016
Aerobic exercise can increase neurogenesis
Oct 24th 2016
Some supplements to try:
Oct 24th 2016
Onnit has you covered...
Oct 24th 2016
Avoid shortcuts.
Oct 25th 2016
^^This is probably the right answer.
Oct 25th 2016
Water, sleep, exercise and a healthy diet.
Oct 25th 2016
RE: Brain function
Oct 25th 2016

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Oct-24-16 08:09 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Aside from amphetamines...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-24-16 08:10 PM by denny

Which is an ugly road to go down imo.....My advice might be boring but seriously....exercise. Lifting weights and cardio...if you're skinny lean towards the weights....if you're fat lean toward the cardio but do both in some sort of combination that suits you. Combined with healthy eating, it's really the only thing I've ever found to have a real impact on clear thinking without effing up your life. I've tried every drug under the sun. Drugs work ALOT better than exercise and health food....but exercise and health food don't have negative side effects.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Oct-24-16 09:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Aerobic exercise can increase neurogenesis"
In response to Reply # 1

Not much research has been done on anaerobic exercise in this context but there doesn't seem to be any effect so far.

One of the most prominent researchers in this field is Wendy Suzuki.

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Mon Oct-24-16 09:11 PM

2. "Some supplements to try:"
In response to Reply # 0

Cognition:
theanine (better w/ caffeine than each in isolation)
panax ginseng (red korean or red chinese)
rhodiola rosea (secondary to fatigue reduction)
blueberries (increase neuronal growth factor)
l-tyrosine (adrenaline precursor; cognition during stress)
phosphatidyl serine (secondary to stress reduction)
creatine (for vegetarians, vegans, and sleep-deprived)

Attention:
cdp-choline
acetyl-l-carnitine
alpha-gpc

Memory:
bacopa monnieri (takes 4-6 weeks before any effects are seen)
nicotine gum
fish oil
curcumin (turmeric)
creatine

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28848 posts
Mon Oct-24-16 10:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Onnit has you covered..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.onnit.com/shroomtech-sport/?pid=45

https://www.onnit.com/alphabrain/?pid=107

TheAlbionist
Member since Jul 04th 2011
3306 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 09:26 AM

5. "Avoid shortcuts."
In response to Reply # 0

If there's one bit of your body not to take shortcuts with, it's probably your brain.

Sleep enough. (http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/01/04/460620606/lack-of-deep-sleep-may-set-the-stage-for-alzheimers)

Drink enough. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042814065586)

Eat plenty of fish and walnuts instead of popping supplements. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2015/08/25/fish-oil-pills-dont-stave-off-brain-decline-study-finds/)

Do regular cardio/resistance training. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/weight-lifting-intelligence-study-improve-iq-a7378066.html)

Meditate regularly. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2015/02/09/7-ways-meditation-can-actually-change-the-brain/#11bb38a87023)

If you do all those things and STILL have trouble with your brain's performance then talk to a doctor with a view toward therapy and/or meds, but if you're not doing the basics you can't expect your brain to perform properly... like expecting to be in tip-top athletic performance after spending your life sitting about eating donuts by popping a couple of steroids. The brain needs regular nutrition, training and strengthening in order to stay fit just like all the other bits of your body.

))<>((
forever.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49427 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 09:47 AM

6. "^^This is probably the right answer. "
In response to Reply # 5

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Binladen
Charter member
14123 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 01:16 PM

7. "Water, sleep, exercise and a healthy diet."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-25-16 01:16 PM by Binladen

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Tue Oct-25-16 04:34 PM

8. "RE: Brain function"
In response to Reply # 0

Exercise is the only thing that does it for me. If I go too long without it my focus at work really starts to suffer and I make more mistakes. Plus my mood is worse.

When I work out regularly I'm much better at coping with stress, I'm less irritable, and I'm much sharper.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Lobby General Discussion topic #13085814 Previous topic | Next topic