Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13081758

Subject: "Plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black woma..." Previous topic | Next topic
Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28841 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 01:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black woma..."

Plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black woman is a doctor. (Short Swipe)

http://www.someecards.com/life/workplace/tamika-cross-doctor-plane/

Houston OBGYN Dr. Tamika Cross is blowing up Facebook with a maddening story of prejudice that's sure to make you grit your teeth in frustration. Dr. Cross was flying out of Detroit on a Delta flight when a man became unresponsive. She jumped in to help save him, only to find herself restrained by the flight crew, who were extremely skeptical that a black woman who had ever set foot in Detroit could be an M.D.

Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/tamika.cross.52/posts/658443077654049

I'm sure many of my fellow young, corporate America working women of color can all understand my frustration when I say I'm sick of being disrespected.

Was on Delta flight DL945 and someone 2 rows in front of me was screaming for help. Her husband was unresponsive. I naturally jumped into Doctor mode as no one else was getting up. Unbuckle my seatbelt and throw my tray table up and as I'm about to stand up, flight attendant says "everyone stay calm, it's just a night terror, he is alright". I continue to watch the scene closely.

A couple mins later he is unresponsive again and the flight attendant yells "call overhead for a physician on board". I raised my hand to grab her attention. She said to me "oh no sweetie put ur hand down, we are looking for actual physicians or nurses or some type of medical personnel, we don't have time to talk to you" I tried to inform her that I was a physician but I was continually cut off by condescending remarks.

Then overhead they paged "any physician on board please press your button". I stare at her as I go to press my button. She said "oh wow you're an actual physician?" I reply yes. She said "let me see your credentials. What type of Doctor are you? Where do you work? Why were you in Detroit?" (Please remember this man is still in need of help and she is blocking my row from even standing up while Bombarding me with questions).

I respond "OBGYN, work in Houston, in Detroit for a wedding, but believe it or not they DO HAVE doctors in Detroit. Now excuse me so I can help the man in need". Another "seasoned" white male approaches the row and says he is a physician as well. She says to me "thanks for your help but he can help us, and he has his credentials". (Mind you he hasn't shown anything to her. Just showed up and fit the "description of a doctor") I stay seated. Mind blown. Blood boiling. (Man is responding the his questions and is seemingly better now Thank God)

Then this heifer has the nerve to ask for my input on what to do next about 10 mins later. I tell her we need vitals and blood sugar. She comes back to report to me a BP of 80/50 (super low, to my non medical peeps) and they can't find a glucometer. We continue down that pathway of medical work up, but the point is she needed my help and I continued to help despite the choice words I had saved up for her. The patient and his wife weren't the problem, they needed help and we were mid flight.

She came and apologized to me several times and offering me skymiles. I kindly refused. This is going higher than her. I don't want skymiles in exchange for blatant discrimination. Whether this was race, age, gender discrimination, it's not right. She will not get away with this....and I will still get my skymiles....

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
smh...i love this woman.
Oct 13th 2016
RE: Plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black ...
Oct 13th 2016
jesus h christ
Oct 13th 2016
Thas a horrible story. Hope that lady loses her job.
Oct 13th 2016
the airline will admonish her publically to save face....
Oct 13th 2016
racism is omnipresent
Oct 13th 2016
basically
Oct 13th 2016
think of the kind of prejudce asshole you have to be
Oct 13th 2016
Bitch asked her why she was in Detroit...smh
Oct 13th 2016
      she was like i see through your ruse
Oct 13th 2016
"The patient is my son..."
Oct 13th 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59167 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 01:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "smh...i love this woman."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Oct-13-16 01:52 PM by Cenario

murrica.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 02:50 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Plane crew almost lets man die because they refuse to believe black ..."
In response to Reply # 0

this is disgusting

I'm so sorry that this shit happens

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

GriftyMcgrift
Member since May 22nd 2002
20414 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 02:57 PM

3. "jesus h christ"
In response to Reply # 0

i hate people

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:14 PM

4. "Thas a horrible story. Hope that lady loses her job."
In response to Reply # 0

Heck, hope the patient sues her too. Some serious karmic energy need to descend upon that lady for this. Just glad Sun ended up ok.

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:17 PM

7. "the airline will admonish her publically to save face...."
In response to Reply # 4

reassign her somewhere else in the company, maybe. Still keep her job and pay.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Dstl1
Charter member
56224 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:15 PM

5. "racism is omnipresent"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:17 PM

8. "basically"
In response to Reply # 5

life or death situation, hold on got my racism in tow

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:16 PM

6. "think of the kind of prejudce asshole you have to be"
In response to Reply # 0

to in an emergency, your instinct is to PREVENT someone from helping

mind you this is a person whos main job is to behave appropriately in emergency situations

think about that, it was damn impossible that this black woman could possibly be in a position to legtimately to help

then when I think about it further, what randos are jumping up in other similar situations that arent doctors? no one wants to get involved theres a million reasons to not get involved, hell even for qualified doctors

smh ridiculous

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79545 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:18 PM

9. "Bitch asked her why she was in Detroit...smh"
In response to Reply # 6

Like Detroit is Rikers

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

GriftyMcgrift
20414 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:19 PM

10. "she was like i see through your ruse"
In response to Reply # 9

bet you didnt think this "doctor" story all way through did ya?

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 03:20 PM

11. ""The patient is my son...""
In response to Reply # 0

this one is layered as fuck.

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

Lobby General Discussion topic #13081758 Previous topic | Next topic