Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13080912

Subject: "Queen of Katwe is a film that needs your support." Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Queen of Katwe is a film that needs your support."

http://shadowandact.com/2016/09/23/review-mira-nairs-queen-of-katwe-is-disneyfied-black-girl-magic-opens-today/

If you haven't seen it yet, it's a warm and lovely film. But that's not why you should see it. Not by itself.

You should see it because Disney put up the money to make a film set in Africa. A film with an all-black cast-- not a white character to be found (the first in Disney history, if I'm not mistaken, and an exceedingly rare example among *any* major studios). A film with TWO black female leads, which, again, exceedingly rare among major studios.

People across the board acknowledge the problem with diversity in Hollywood still present today. Well, here's a film about black women with an all-black cast, directed by a woman of color, financed by a major studio. But money talks.

We're a couple of weeks into release and it's not doing well at the box office. To present a comparison, a lot of people have been speaking against Birth of a Nation, and it's *still* made more in its opening weekend than Queen of Katwe in its entire release to date. Birth of a Nation will make its money back. Queen of Katwe will not.

And Disney will believe that an all-black film about black women is not financially viable, regardless of what the film is about. They want *evidence*-- dollars in the pocket. And they've given us a terrific movie, so it'd be such a goddamn shame if that's the lesson that they take from this. But that's the way the industry still works, sadly.

I can't tell you how to spend your money. I've been tweeting about this film for the last two weeks, begging people to see it. Everyone I know who's seen it has found it to be a delightful film. I think if it made more money that Disney could've pushed Lupita Nyong'o and maybe even David Oyelowo in an Oscar campaign-- but if the film makes no money and no one sees it, then they won't give a shit and it'll slide through the awards season cracks like so many terrific films do.

I just really liked this movie, and I'd love to see more films like this. If you feel the same way, seek it out before it inevitably quickly leaves theaters. You've probably got a week. It's in 1000+ theaters now, so odds are it's playing somewhere near you. Go check it out, and bring your family. You'll be glad you did.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
All the black folk boycotting BOAN shoulda went and seen this
Oct 12th 2016
All black female cast, set in Africa, about chess.
Oct 12th 2016
YEP
Oct 12th 2016
You're doing the most, right here.
Oct 13th 2016
      these fools got me heated again
Oct 13th 2016
It was really good, gonna see it again this weekend.
Oct 12th 2016
I actually thought that starting with limited release was smart.
Oct 12th 2016
taking the family this weekend
Oct 12th 2016
Pretty solid flick for the whole family & no white saviors!
Oct 12th 2016
Thanks I was considering
Oct 12th 2016
Its great. This should be up for Oscars towards the end of the year
Oct 12th 2016
i bought tix to this and walked into BOAN
Oct 12th 2016
^^underrated title^^
Oct 13th 2016
the marketing for this film was terrible/non-existent
Oct 12th 2016
I saw 2 or 3 commercials.
Oct 13th 2016
I have. Maybe all in all about 10 times over the last 2 months, or so.
Oct 13th 2016
I went to see this the day it opened....
Oct 13th 2016
How empty was the theatre?
Oct 13th 2016
I really enjoyed this movie.
Oct 16th 2016
I'll support more Black movies when they make shit I want to watch
Oct 16th 2016

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 10:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "All the black folk boycotting BOAN shoulda went and seen this"
In response to Reply # 0

But it's chess not checkers so...

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 11:00 AM

2. "All black female cast, set in Africa, about chess. "
In response to Reply # 0

I hope Disney doesn't see the poor box office from this and go "welp, this is why we can't make black movies".

Thanks for bringing attention to this. I've heard good things about it and will make an effort to see. Maybe try and take my nieces.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 11:04 AM

3. "YEP"
In response to Reply # 0

but hey folks are distracted in the only black movie they care to see

figures

folks tell on themselves regularly
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

soulpsychodelicyde
12155 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 08:12 AM

16. "You're doing the most, right here."
In response to Reply # 3

C'mon.

lfresh
Member since Jun 18th 2002
92696 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 12:54 PM

17. "these fools got me heated again"
In response to Reply # 16

mainly up doing this to up the post though
lol
fuck them though
bunch of assholes
~~~~
When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. Live so that when you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.
~~~~
You cannot hate people for their own good.

no_i_cant_dance
Member since Apr 10th 2006
5577 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 11:21 AM

4. "It was really good, gonna see it again this weekend. "
In response to Reply # 0

Disney didn't really have much faith in it tho w/ the amount of initial screens + weak promo.

<<Mood...Poppy Okotcha in Look 1 at Ashish Fall 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7KBq0q5bU

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 11:28 AM

5. "I actually thought that starting with limited release was smart."
In response to Reply # 4

Many studios do that with films they think won't make a big debut-- usually due to subject matter/lack of stars-- but could develop box office once word of mouth starts to spread. It's been successful for a lot of movies in the past.

The problem is that the per-screen averages for this weren't as high as you'd like to see when using that strategy. So instead of expanding to 2 or 3 thousand theaters, they went a little north of 1 thousand and waited. And I suppose are still waiting, as the numbers really aren't improving, sadly.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 11:37 AM

6. "taking the family this weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

5 tickets plus popcorn/drinks is about a hunna, but need to support.

the wife and i might catch BOAN, and we might not. i'm kinda indifferent on it now. my main concern was that i wanted it to be good and judging from the reviews i'm gonna have to see it for myself. shocker, lol.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 12:17 PM

7. "Pretty solid flick for the whole family & no white saviors!"
In response to Reply # 0

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 04:00 PM

8. "Thanks I was considering"
In response to Reply # 0

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 04:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Its great. This should be up for Oscars towards the end of the year"
In response to Reply # 0

one of the best ive seen this year

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 04:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "i bought tix to this and walked into BOAN"
In response to Reply # 0

might buy more tix and take my niece, if its still playing in a few weeks

but yea odd/sad the twitter warriors and outrage machine throwing darts at BOAN said not a peep abt this

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 10:45 PM

18. "^^underrated title^^"
In response to Reply # 10

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

kayru99
Member since Jan 26th 2004
16105 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 11:42 PM

11. "the marketing for this film was terrible/non-existent"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think i've seen a single ad, of *any* sort for this film.

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 07:33 AM

13. "I saw 2 or 3 commercials. "
In response to Reply # 11

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 07:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I have. Maybe all in all about 10 times over the last 2 months, or so."
In response to Reply # 11

Belief
Charter member
18463 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 12:17 AM

12. "I went to see this the day it opened...."
In response to Reply # 0

I loved it.

It may be a bit long for young kids to sit through, but I'd take them anyway...

down on the upside

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Thu Oct-13-16 07:51 AM

15. "How empty was the theatre? "
In response to Reply # 12

grape
Member since Mar 01st 2005
1123 posts
Sun Oct-16-16 10:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "I really enjoyed this movie."
In response to Reply # 0

PoppaGeorge
Member since Nov 07th 2004
10384 posts
Sun Oct-16-16 02:31 PM

20. "I'll support more Black movies when they make shit I want to watch"
In response to Reply # 0

I have no desire to see this flick. Make a movie I want to see and I'll be there. Until then I'm giving this flick the Tyler Perry treatment: Nope nevah evah.

---------------------------

"Where was the peace when we were getting shot? Where's the peace when we were getting laid out?
Where is the peace when we are in the back of ambulances? Where is the peace then?
They don't want to call for peace then.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13080912 Previous topic | Next topic