Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13080758

Subject: "How do TV censors draw the line on profanity?" Previous topic | Next topic
atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How do TV censors draw the line on profanity?"

watching Real Husbands Of Hollywood last night, "shit" was said a good 10 times but "fuck" was always bleeped out

what's the exact distinction if anyone would know

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what they feel like
Oct 12th 2016
SNL said Pussy which I was surprised by.
Oct 12th 2016
they had to...well worth the fine(if they get one)
Oct 12th 2016
isnt it up to the network and what they think advertisers will go for?
Oct 12th 2016
the line = what viewers will complain to the ad companies abt
Oct 12th 2016
Didn't the FCC relax on this a few years back?
Oct 12th 2016
cable's not bound by FCC
Oct 12th 2016
somewhat arbitrary
Oct 12th 2016
if it's cable, you can technically say anything.
Oct 12th 2016
My FAMU hg works for BET and said they have been pushing the
Oct 12th 2016

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 08:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "what they feel like"
In response to Reply # 0

i been hearing alot of shit and dick on tnt recently as well.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 08:54 AM

2. "SNL said Pussy which I was surprised by. "
In response to Reply # 0

Cable Networks have lax'er rules than Broadcast. Rules are lax'er generally in late night.

But each cable network comes up with their own standard (I think they drop the f bomb all the time on FX and Comedy Central)

Broadcast is a little different because of FCC rules and fines.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59181 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 09:20 AM

4. "they had to...well worth the fine(if they get one)"
In response to Reply # 2

besides its been on the news all weekend so they should get a pass.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85078 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 09:17 AM

3. "isnt it up to the network and what they think advertisers will go for?"
In response to Reply # 0

i've seen the same show on different channels and different shit was bleeped out.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Riot
Member since May 25th 2005
14614 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 09:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "the line = what viewers will complain to the ad companies abt"
In response to Reply # 0

or, what networks -think- viewers will complain abt

)))--####---###--(((

bunda
<-.-> ^_^ \^0^/
get busy living, or get busy dying.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 10:06 AM

6. "Didn't the FCC relax on this a few years back?"
In response to Reply # 0

I remember after 2AM they stopped censoring on Comedy Central.

Then FX made an announcement of letting shit slide after 10PM

Not sure if this was up to the networks or not. Kinda shocked to hear BET letting shit on the air.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18759 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 12:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "cable's not bound by FCC"
In response to Reply # 6

The distinction is made between cable and broadcast, which is seen as being transmitted over "the people's" airwaves. Cable is governed by their own standards and practices, which often is based on what level of profanity sponsors will tolerate.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 10:29 AM

7. "somewhat arbitrary"
In response to Reply # 0

but i think after 10p you can say 'shit'

now or never
Member since Oct 27th 2004
3821 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 10:53 AM

8. "if it's cable, you can technically say anything."
In response to Reply # 0

the networks decide based on their own discretion and what they think they might lose ad dollars for
when you see bleeps, that's basically fear
what you see on FX, occasionally mr robot is them making the conscious decision to trust that their shows will still draw audiences with profanity
and the ad dollars will come in regardless because most adults are actually adults

-----
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. (c) HL Mencken or some other motherfucker.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Oct-12-16 01:36 PM

10. "My FAMU hg works for BET and said they have been pushing the"
In response to Reply # 0

lines because "shit" is now accepatable, and that "fuck" is really the ONLY word that isn't at all acceptable at any time.

She said "pussy" will almost always be censored unless it's a double entendre, such as how Andre said it on "Int'l players anthem" with "give up all this pussycat that's in my lap." Same for dick...even in the 90's, Comic View had Miss Lisa clowning and saying "I knew Little Richard when we used to just call him Little Dick."

Bitch is def acceptable. Nigga is normally censored during music, but depends on context.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Lobby General Discussion topic #13080758 Previous topic | Next topic