Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13080307

Subject: "Have housing prices jumped 10% in the last 6 months?" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 12:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Have housing prices jumped 10% in the last 6 months?"

I might have come into a lump sum of money and started looking at houses. I'm in San Diego.

Seems like houses that sold for $420k 5 months ago are now going for $500k or more. (Comparables, not people flipping the same house and putting it back on the market.)

Has anyone else seen this in their area?

And a $500k house in San Diego is probably a $105k house in Alambama, or $200k in Tucson or Dallas. Small rooms. Small baths. Non-remodeled kitchen. Small yards. Longer commutes.

And don't trust photography - the bathrooms and kitchen in this listing look pretty good until you see them in person.

Tile is bad in bathrooms, and why is the sink directly next to the stove in the kitchen? And the bedrooms say 10x10, but are really 10x9.

You'd have to put $100k down and then pay around $2500 a month for 30 years - doesn't seem worth it to me.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Diego/7031-Renkrib-Ave-92119/home/5420606

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm in Cali, and yeah...
Oct 11th 2016
Man, I can't even look at those CA asking prices
Oct 11th 2016
Definitely gone up. I'm in the Bay and my value has jumped up
Oct 11th 2016
I couldn't do it... I know it's all relative, at least I hope so
Oct 11th 2016
yes, 2 houses on my street sold a few months apart
Oct 11th 2016
This studio apt-ass house is listed for more than I paid
Oct 11th 2016
I see maybe one bedroom. Is that a closet in the corner?
Oct 11th 2016
      some google kid will get assigned to Pittsburgh and buy it
Oct 11th 2016
its all relative
Oct 11th 2016
Location, location, location.
Oct 11th 2016
now I'm curious. Which hoods?
Oct 11th 2016
South Boston and Dorchester, respectively.
Oct 11th 2016
Hot damn that's a nice come up
Oct 11th 2016
      That's great.
Oct 11th 2016
Yes. Demand bump on speculation for rate hikes
Oct 11th 2016
I guess - but it's crazy
Oct 11th 2016

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5614 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 12:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm in Cali, and yeah... "
In response to Reply # 0

I've been peeping the central coast are, but also looked at North County SD area, and kind of decided now aint the time. That rapid rise in prices feels pretty bubblish. Take a look and compare the prices to 2 years ago.

It's fine if you can afford your place, and have no plans to move, but I need a bit of flexibility w/my job and don't want to wind up underwater 2 years from now.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 12:49 PM

2. "Man, I can't even look at those CA asking prices"
In response to Reply # 0

I just bought a crib in Philly. I'd have to pay 3x as much to get 1/2 of what I bought here. No bueno. Don't know how y'all do it.

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 01:11 PM

3. "Definitely gone up. I'm in the Bay and my value has jumped up"
In response to Reply # 0

a bit, thanks goodness. Property taxes gonna be a bitch this year though.
Love SD man, wish I could've stayed there after getting out of the Navy, but the fam was back in the Bay and I had to return. Hope you find something.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79629 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 01:51 PM

4. "I couldn't do it... I know it's all relative, at least I hope so"
In response to Reply # 0

when I see what 400K gets you in Cali... yeeesh

Y'all got beaches and hella women tho

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 02:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yes, 2 houses on my street sold a few months apart"
In response to Reply # 0

both the same model. Floor plan and lot size equal. One sold 4 months ago for 366k. The other just sold for 385k.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 02:03 PM

6. "This studio apt-ass house is listed for more than I paid"
In response to Reply # 0

for a renovated 4BR, 2BA IN THE SAME NEIGHBORHOOD.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/pa/pittsburgh/5421-howe-street/pid_14401481/

Seriously, look at the pics and tell me how many bedrooms you see.

flipnile
Member since Nov 05th 2003
13575 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 03:57 PM

12. "I see maybe one bedroom. Is that a closet in the corner?"
In response to Reply # 6

Realtor once told me to count as a bedroom it has to have a closet.

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 05:19 PM

13. "some google kid will get assigned to Pittsburgh and buy it"
In response to Reply # 12

That shit is a loft and that damn sure isn't a second bedroom

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 02:06 PM

7. "its all relative"
In response to Reply # 0

For what I pay in taxes and insurance here in Virginia,

I could get way more house in another state... texas is looking pretty good.

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Location, location, location."
In response to Reply # 0

As with anything, depends on where you are.

Boston is like San Diego right now/the last few years. I bought my condo a year ago September 30th for right around $350k. Right now it would sell for $390k. My buddy bought a place in 2011 in a neighborhood that peaked a few years later...bought for $360k, just sold for $680k. 5 years, nearly doubled in value. Was told by many in-the-know friends that the neighborhood I bought in was one of the next to blow so I'm hoping to end up with a similar situation.

But there's other places where everything is stagnant. Depends on the state, the city, the neighborhood, etc. Lot of factors. But I think in a general sense that the real estate market is pretty healthy right now. Though I'm sure many here have way more insight on that than I would.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

John Forte
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
15361 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 03:07 PM

10. "now I'm curious. Which hoods?"
In response to Reply # 8

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "South Boston and Dorchester, respectively."
In response to Reply # 10

My buddy who just made the aforementioned killing was in Southie and I bought in Adams Village in Dorchester.

legsdiamond
79629 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 05:24 PM

14. "Hot damn that's a nice come up"
In response to Reply # 8

My wife has a friend who bought for 200k in Charlotte and sold 2 or 3 years later for 275k

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 08:27 PM

16. "That's great."
In response to Reply # 14

>My wife has a friend who bought for 200k in Charlotte and
>sold 2 or 3 years later for 275k

I hope to make that kind of dough whenever we decide to sell. Thing is if we are fortunate enough and play our cards right we may be able to rent this place out whenever we decide to move to another spot so we'd have that supplemental income while still paying down the mortgage. Best case scenario of course.

B9
Charter member
43124 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 02:49 PM

9. "Yes. Demand bump on speculation for rate hikes"
In response to Reply # 0

If you were already in a high-demand area, the premium went up on increased competition as would be buyers are rushing to the market before the fed increases in December-ish.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Tue Oct-11-16 03:54 PM

11. "I guess - but it's crazy"
In response to Reply # 9

How does the rush to be even by a giant 1% interest rate hike result in houses cost $40,000 more? (I mean in a common sense world. I know there's actually just under $27,000 in total amortized price increase if rates go up 1% - but to front load it seems nuts, to me. And they won't go up a full point.)

I think as people see houses selling for more they put their houses on the market for even more than that, and it repeats.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Lobby General Discussion topic #13080307 Previous topic | Next topic