Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13077177

Subject: "You'll Never Know - Rodney Franklin" Previous topic | Next topic
poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You'll Never Know - Rodney Franklin"
Tue Oct-04-16 03:22 PM by poetx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VeXqN1S4BA

this song came to me at 4am last night. couldn't sleep. but in a good way as opposed to how it's been. last two nights i've been flooded with ideas. creative, business, etc.

anyway, a verse was in my head:

Be anxious for nothing, but in all things, through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God, and the Peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus - Philippians 4: 6-7

i'd been thinking about that alot, anyway. that's been the go to for like the last 3 or 4 years with different things i've been dealing with. and then last thursday, my middle son called us from college and told us he was having breathing difficulties and felt like his chest was being squeezed. my older son lives in the same city as him and drove him to the emergency room. my wife and i tore up the road driving an hour and a half to where he was (and my oldest daughter brought the rest of the kids and was like 45 min behind us).

cj3 was alright, thank God. all the tests (ekg, etc., ) were normal. doctors and nurse seemed to think it was an anxiety attack. he'd had an asthma / allergic reaction a couple of years ago, when he was in high school and we were riding home from football practice and couldn't breathe and we had to call the paramedics. we had him tested subsequently and he has a severe reaction to this fairly rare pollen in the area.

other potential is maybe thyroid related, if he was having some kind of heart fluttering, triggering an anxious reaction. we'll take him to the doctors on Friday. he turned 20 yesterday.

always something, but so thankful he's good.

anyways, my wife and i had given him that verse because we knew he was anxious about school (has to get over a 3 pt this semester in school to get off academic probation, he's aware that $$$ is tight, and then the news about my job). we been trying to reassure him that everything is cool.

i'm laying in bed at 4am last night and i just ponder that verse, while also thinking about all of these ideas. in the song, there's a line that says:

"...when you live for him, he'll let you see/
how wonderfulll, His Peace can be/
you must let gooooo
or you'll never knowwww"

absolutely beautiful song. i used to have that on a slow jam mixtape i made waaay back in the day. used to go over REAL well with the well-versed musical honeys. i didn't mess w/ anything close to gospel (or The Gospel) at all back in them days, but this cut always spoke to me.

and rodney franklin is such a gorgeous piano player. when we talk about them songs that bring tears to your eyes, this is one of them for me. and he got at least two other ones:

A Song For You (original WHUR / melvin lindsey Quiet Storm staple) and one of my favorite songs, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWM7H4wDQGo

and, of course,

The Groove

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo6q-WltGGk

funky, jazzy throwback to when radio wasn't so segregated with artificial, corporate marketing spawned genre boundaries that led to creative death.

anyway, it has been a LONG time since i had the kind of creative burst of ideas and energies that got me up at 4am to jot down an idea before it was lost. so it must mean something.

(earlier in the week i couldn't sleep and also had a music jones, so i youtubed Dream** of the Blue Turtles by Sting. i love that album and hadn't heard it in prolly 20 years. been wearing that out, too).

somethin bout to give.

how y'all?

**EDIT: DREAM of the Blue Turtles. typin too fast.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
I'm an advocate for working smarter, not harder. If you just
focus on working hard you end up making someone else rich and
not having much to show for it. (c) mad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Rodney tough, man...
Oct 04th 2016
yeah, man. he kinda just fizzled? idk, but his come up was around what w...
Oct 04th 2016
I needed this
Oct 04th 2016
you welcome. i was hoping somebody did. lurkers, whoever. lotta times we...
Oct 04th 2016
this a lil too Jesus-y for folks methinks
Oct 04th 2016
ps --- look at his fro on those album covers
Oct 04th 2016
yes, he had the admirable low fro w/ the tasteful shag. like not quite H...
Oct 04th 2016
lol. it is what it is.
Oct 04th 2016

Dstl1
Charter member
56193 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Rodney tough, man..."
In response to Reply # 0

felt like he coulda been the unknown member of EW&F or the dude who got kicked out of Commissioned and replaced with Marvin Sapp right before they became hot...lol

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:30 PM

2. "yeah, man. he kinda just fizzled? idk, but his come up was around what w..."
In response to Reply # 1

a great era for me in music, w/ Tom Browne, 'Nard Wright, and cats like that (guess you can extend backwards and add Grover Washington Jr and Herb Alpert an nem).

they had great musical chops and their albums had everything from funk to fusion to straight ahead to ballads to (as in Rodney's case) gospel. but this was right in that 80's inflection point w/ the music biz where they started ghettoizing music. it was pretty much a wrap by the 90s. shit that was neither here nor there, categorically, ended up nowhere.

in searching for dude i saw that there was a fender rhodes concert w/ RF, robert glasper, patrice rushen, lalah hathaway, okp's own mashibeats (mark de Clive-Lowe, who posts in the lessahn from time to time) in 2015. mannn... i got to get my paper up. that had to be an amazing show.

maybe RF just quietly kept doing his thing the whole time.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 03:44 PM

3. "I needed this"
In response to Reply # 0

thank you

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 04:09 PM

4. "you welcome. i was hoping somebody did. lurkers, whoever. lotta times we..."
In response to Reply # 3

be going through stuff and sometimes it's just reassuring that everybody else's lives ain't peaches and applesauce or whatever.

i have that verse in my google keep. highlighted in blue. and up at the top.

next to it is the verse that i wrote out for my dad last year when he was in the hospital, struggling with post-stroke paralysis, trying to rehab, and all that:

"I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

i wrote it up on some paper and put it on his bulletin board in the rehab center. he told me, before he passed, that this was very helpful to him and provided something for him to focus on.

that, in turn, was a comfort to me. when he got moved back to the hospital for the last time, they didn't save the paper. thankfully, i took a picture. and i have that picture in my google keep, also. and now it is a focal point for me.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 04:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "this a lil too Jesus-y for folks methinks"
In response to Reply # 0

nevertheless..

glad your kid is doing well

glad to hear you're in a (basically) good place

you're a standup dude

stay blessed and be encouraged

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 04:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "ps --- look at his fro on those album covers"
In response to Reply # 5

i miss the days when a 'fro could be sculpted yet not look all steve harvey

cool-it-now shag and erethang

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 06:12 PM

8. "yes, he had the admirable low fro w/ the tasteful shag. like not quite H..."
In response to Reply # 6

length.

like my wig be when it gets a couple weeks past wave length.

>i miss the days when a 'fro could be sculpted yet not look
>all steve harvey
>
>cool-it-now shag and erethang

exactly!

pretty sure that's another recipe lost.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

poetx
Charter member
58856 posts
Tue Oct-04-16 06:10 PM

7. "lol. it is what it is. "
In response to Reply # 5

but that's the essence of the sentiment. it's where i'm at.

might just be a slow news day, tho. i been doing lignum vitae** numbers of late, anyway. (

** i think that was t dub - tonywashington who made a poast about going wood, and said that he was some rare ass kinda wood. this had to be like 12 yrs ago. and lignum vitae stuck in my head. but i never googled or nothing. was just odd and interesting. and then a few days ago i'm watching some nature shit or how it's made or something and they mention some rare wood - lignum vitae (now i 'member, it was about how they make yard bowling balls). that lil factoid and it's meta-data is, i'm sure, replacing somebody birthday in my head. *shrug*

>nevertheless..
>
>glad your kid is doing well

thank you.

>
>glad to hear you're in a (basically) good place

yeah. feeling better. was on some up and down ish for a couple weeks. the job ish did kinda throw me for a loop for a minute. cuz i feel like i 'let myself' be played out.

but that's pride. i mostly made the moves i made (which put me in in this position where i could get picked off) based upon the available choices. i ain't gonna second guess them.

this self-employment option / opportunity in front of me has incredible potential. when i think back of how many literal millions of dollars i've made or saved ibm over the years. prospect of studying to get up to speed to go do some more shit i hate for another 10 years is very unappealing.

if i can, instead, study hard and do something on my own, that might be the oppty of a lifetime. i hope i'm not just being manic.

>
>you're a standup dude
>stay blessed and be encouraged

much appreciated and many thanks for the encouragement.

praying i'm having a 'selah' moment right now.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

Lobby General Discussion topic #13077177 Previous topic | Next topic