Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13068251

Subject: "Tell us about a dope come up. " Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 12:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tell us about a dope come up. "

I had one last Thursday.

I’ve been slowly rebuilding a lil home studio the last few years and built a respectable rig: Cubase, A Nektar P4 to control it, NI Mascine MK2, Komplete 9, a couple of cheap rompler VST’s (Halion Sonic 2 is dope on that front) and recently added a MOXF6 for a respectable price of eight bills. I was good to go. Had everything running smoothly and spent some time to develop a good workflow with so many moving parts. The downside of that rig with two young children is it takes up space and they want to play with it all the pieces and there’s really no space in the house that doesn’t make things feel cluttered, so it’s out in the garage.

I really, really missed my Korg M3, which I snagged for a ridiculous four bills a couple summers ago but sold off for the P4 and Halion for workflow purposes. I loved the touch screen and some of the sounds so I’ve been scouring sites to add that and complete my rig.

In doing so I came up on a Kronos at a pawn shop in San Diego for 1300. I emailed the shop that night and got a response at 8 am. Some guy and his son had been in to look at it. They didn’t leave a deposit though and they opened at 10.

I fucking BEGGED this man to hold it. I had to put my wife at ease by ensuring her I was selling everything else to pay for it, take money out of savings to front the money, drive three hours on the round trip, take time off work and make that time back up that same day and my off day the following day…. He read that email, had a laugh, held it for me and I got that fucking board. And it’s glorious. So, so glorious.

Since this pretty much replaces my three pieces of hardware and the computer they were all connected to, space is no longer a problem. Shit sits nicely on the back end of my wife’s work desk. I’ve been getting up around 4:30 to learn it. I can spend 10-15 minutes here and there throughout the day without feeling like I’ve bailed on the fam by heading to the garage. It killed like three birds with one stone. Plus the MOXF sold today so my wife is at ease.

So tell us about a dope come up of your own.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Oh, and funny thing: that man got there at 10am
Sep 13th 2016
you make music?
Sep 13th 2016
a pair of rims/tires for less than $100...
Sep 13th 2016
These are for a bike, correct?
Sep 13th 2016
yessir...
Sep 13th 2016
that's not a come up, that's strong-arm robbery, fam...Craigslist?
Sep 13th 2016
      i know, right?!..
Sep 13th 2016
bought a 1990 M3 for 2K
Sep 13th 2016
I was curious if it didn't have an engine
Sep 13th 2016
free smartphones
Sep 13th 2016
Free Ravens tickets last sunday
Sep 13th 2016
15 bottles of wine for $60.
Sep 13th 2016
Almost free iPhone
Sep 13th 2016
went to a girls house to get a rare Depeche Mode record, ended up bangin...
Sep 14th 2016
See, now I gotta update my rig *sigh* damn you CT
Sep 14th 2016
Til yesterday I had the MOXF and Kronos side by side. Scrap the motif fa...
Sep 14th 2016

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Oh, and funny thing: that man got there at 10am "
In response to Reply # 0

The owner told him he’d already sold the board to me. In the email I told him I was a sure thing as long as the board worked when I got there, that I knew exactly what it did and wasn’t coming to twiddle knobs and turn his shop into Sam Ash.

Anyhow dude got there at 10am sharp and apparently bugged out on the shop owner. The guy was pacing out in front of the store when I got there, but the owner had already given me the heads up.

The shop owner said he was trying to haggle over $100 the night before because his son plays weddings and the board didn't have an Arabic sound set so in this mind he thought the shop owner should further discount something that was nearly half off the normal price for a used Kronos.

He sat in his car and glared at us while I tested it out. He didn’t pull out of his parking space until I walked out.

Then… he fucking followed me to my car, lmao. He rolled his window down and said “did you just buy that?”.

I’m like… am I carrying it to my car outside the shop?
His response?

I WAS THERE LAST NIGHT LOOKING AT IT!

I laughed at him. “Did you buy it?”

He just kind of stared. Anyhow he offered to pay me… ready? FIFTY BUCKS MORE.

Golly gee mister, you mean it?

“LMAO what?”

I laughed at him. He asked what I wanted and I said two g’s. He got pissed. He said some shit about it not having the arabic voices his son needed and we had a few more words. Then he bounced and I went back to work happy.

Kwesi
Member since Jan 11th 2004
7370 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you make music?"
In response to Reply # 0

me too!

post some tracks, man.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "a pair of rims/tires for less than $100..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Sep-13-16 01:40 PM by CyrenYoung

..a pair RP15F alloy rims with a set of gatorskins (damn-near new) for less than $100

SOLD!

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:32 PM

4. "These are for a bike, correct?"
In response to Reply # 3

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:40 PM

6. "yessir..."
In response to Reply # 4

..the rims retail for $70 each.

the tires retail for $60 each.

i couldn't pass that up.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:50 PM

9. "that's not a come up, that's strong-arm robbery, fam...Craigslist?"
In response to Reply # 3

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 02:08 PM

12. "i know, right?!.."
In response to Reply # 9

..ran into a guy i know from the neighborhood. he rides, but doesn't have the patience (or experience) that we do. he was selling the parts from his damaged bike, but the buyer flaked on him, and he didn't want to make the trek from bk back to harlem with everything.

he knew the retail value but just didn't want to deal with the bike anymore. i'm pretty sure the heat/humidity didn't help.

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16802 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "bought a 1990 M3 for 2K"
In response to Reply # 0

only 10k miles
got some work on the interior to do
talked to the dealership and they said I could sell it for 45k

came up on a real pair of yeezys (turtle dove) for $300
parents were selling a kids collection because he got in trouble with the law lol

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79594 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:48 PM

8. "I was curious if it didn't have an engine"
In response to Reply # 5

or had blood in the trunk.

what a come up.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:43 PM

7. "free smartphones"
In response to Reply # 0

I was at a SXSW Samsung event with (redacted), a Samsung employee said to me "you're gonna upgrade with us, right?" I was like "umm...Im still under contract" then he explained I was there to get my bum ass phone upgraded for free. I got a few OKPs phones as well and I had a nice operation running where I'd sell phones to another homeboy whenever I got a free upgrade

that was probably the biggest one

Paps_Smear
Member since Feb 02nd 2009
4254 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:55 PM

10. "Free Ravens tickets last sunday"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy of mines mother and law broke some shit so is in no shape to go to a game, she has season tickets.

No one in her family is a football fan except for her. She knows I'm a die hard Ravens fan and flat out gave me the tickets. Every time they have an event I come and she says she enjoys my company better than her son and law lol.

Seats were damn near on the field, best seating I've ever had at any sporting event. Spent a total of $20 that day. $3.40 to catch the light rail (free parking there), ran into a guy that retired from my job a few years ago tailgating with his wife, got me some free beer. The rest was spent on food and water during the game.

I will never get that lucky again.

=================
Official Okay-Super Villain™

I only play the games that I win at -
Gamertag: Innovator
PSN: DurtyGambino
Steam: Durty Gambino
Twitch.tv/durtygambino

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 01:57 PM

11. "15 bottles of wine for $60. "
In response to Reply # 0

Quality wines too. I was having my housewarming earlier this summer and came across this deal on groupon. Introductory offer by an outfit called Wine Insiders. Normally the deal would be $150 plus shipping.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Tue Sep-13-16 08:04 PM

13. "Almost free iPhone"
In response to Reply # 0

My little brother recently started his own phone line w/T-Mobile & got an iphone 6 on the payment plan (put like $150 down & had 2 years to pay the rest). Well, within a month I had him switch over onto my plan (lowered our cost each by a few bucks) & when we went to the store to switch him over, the guy told us they'd add his balance on the phone over to my account so he could continue paying.

A week later he gets a bill in the mail saying he owes the full balance on the phone. I call, dont even get angry, just ask that they add the balance to the bill in installments as planned. The dude on customer service says "well, I don't have the option to do that...& since his old account is technically closed...i guess you just get it?"

Apparently because of their fuck up (weren't supposed to have the line deactivated before the payment stuff was sorted or something) he had his remaing $600 or so wiped clean.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

2Future4U
Charter member
3346 posts
Wed Sep-14-16 03:19 AM

14. "went to a girls house to get a rare Depeche Mode record, ended up bangin..."
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"

MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."

PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like

auragin_boi
Member since Aug 01st 2003
20939 posts
Wed Sep-14-16 10:36 AM

15. "See, now I gotta update my rig *sigh* damn you CT"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-14-16 10:37 AM by auragin_boi

After some research I'm getting:

-Sugar Bytes Obscurium (something I'll have to learn now)
-A Motif XF6 (I have a Motif 6 so I think it's time to sell that and upgrade)
-Kronos 1 or 2 (still deciding, probably don't need it with having the Motif but I like to have 2 keyboards by different manufacturers)
-KorgnanoPAD2

Think I'm copping Komplete 9 as well. I can probably nab all of these for $3500-$5000 depending on how hard I bargain shop.

Sooo...next 12-15 months, I'll be working on this.

Current set up = previously referenced Motif, Technics KN1500 Keyboard, couple okay sound banks my homeboys gave me, MPC 1000

Spent about $6000 on my current set up over the years. So new set up will be a bargain comparatively.

Wasn't even thinking about doing any of this yet until this post.

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Wed Sep-14-16 05:03 PM

16. "Til yesterday I had the MOXF and Kronos side by side. Scrap the motif fa..."
In response to Reply # 15

If you’re unfamiliar, the MOXF has the exact same soundest as the XF. The XF edges out the Kronos in two places: guitars- by a ridiculous margin- and the Sweet Flute patch, which is, well, sweet. I fucking love that sound. But that’s IT….and I was a Motif apologist until this.

But unless you use the ever loving hell out of those guitar patches the Kronos takes a hot liquid dook all over the XF sound set. This is coming from a Motif *guy*, fam. The Rhodes patches on the Kronos are absurd. George Duke and Herbie Hancock contributed to some patches and they’re breathtaking.

This has a lot to do with the new EP-1 engine. The EP’s are all modeled now, though I believe there are still some PCM based patches. The modeling is retarded though fam… you get a thick, rich sound with the mechanical noises and everything. Plus it models 5 different EP’s, so unlike most boards that give you 20 different Mark I/II variants, you get a Mark V to play with as well.

I’m telling you… head to Sam Ash or whatever spot you got where you are and play with it for awhile. The tonewheel modeling is also fantastic. I know I’m going to come across like a Korg shill but FAM… this thing is a monster. It’s not redundant it’s just… unnecessary because there’s a lot that you won’t use simply because the Kronos is so beastly. The gap is shocking. If you really want that XF sound set though I’d recommend copping the MOXF instead, since it’s cheaper and the soundset is the same and you’ll be too busy on the Kronos touch screen to care about the XF screen.

Frankly I’d say you’re better served selling your MPC 1K and rolling with the Touch or a 5K and adding Omnisphere to your mix. They fixed all the shit Just Blaze was complaining about on the 5K and you can find them for 5-800. I’ll probably add the Touch eventually, but only because I prefer to sequence drums meticulously via step sequencers and I love my workflow on a touch interface.

Far as Komplete 9, I’m selling that along with my Maschine Mk2 for 350 right now so uh… lemme know if you’re interested. I can’t sell them separately since the K9 is a crossgrade and all cross/upgrade licenses are tied to whatever was used to get that discount, which in my case is the Maschine. K9 gets little tick with the Kronos at my disposal but Guitar Rig is still an amazing post production tool.
Honestly just upgrading your board to that Kronos and adding that Obscurium is enough to revitalize your rig in a big way.

Lobby General Discussion topic #13068251 Previous topic | Next topic