Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13061777

Subject: "So this new De La Soul album is greeeeeaaaat" Previous topic | Next topic
Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 11:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So this new De La Soul album is greeeeeaaaat"

In case you werent aware it just dropped.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's really not
Aug 25th 2016
The beats are really slow and laid back
Aug 26th 2016
RE: It's really not
Aug 26th 2016
Drawn (feat. Little Dragon) is thorough IMO. VERY THOROUGH!
Aug 26th 2016
      RE: Drawn (feat. Little Dragon) is thorough IMO. VERY THOROUGH!
Aug 26th 2016
      didn't Dave write/co-write 2 cuts for Nabuma Rubberband?
Aug 26th 2016
AOI was booty...
Aug 26th 2016
      Shut up Dick Snot...
Aug 26th 2016
           Oooh! You let him call you Arsenio!
Aug 26th 2016
                crocka!
Aug 26th 2016
Everything i heard before the album dropped sounded great
Aug 26th 2016
'Greyhounds' doe?....tight!! Usher back! between this & his new track
Aug 26th 2016
It's ....... different. Weird. But I like a lot of it.
Aug 26th 2016
this album is ridiculously boring...
Aug 26th 2016
Not my thoughts
Aug 26th 2016
their debut was 27 years ago
Aug 26th 2016

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Thu Aug-25-16 11:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's really not "
In response to Reply # 0

No where near the AOI's or The Grind Date. This one just didn't do it for me. Those 3 albums were nice surprises from a group people thought were too old, they fucking bumped hard and even to this day aged well. This album feels exactly like how I kind of expect rappers their age to sound like. I'd love for them to do another AOI

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 01:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "The beats are really slow and laid back"
In response to Reply # 1

I figured it wouldnt be for some. I loved Grind Date though, this is probably a notch below.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 07:27 AM

4. "RE: It's really not "
In response to Reply # 1

I was not a big fan of the AOI projects either. I think The Grind Date worked because of the fresh talent that produced it. Over half of that album was produced by Dilla, Madlib, 9th Wonder and Jake One. De La's production ain't really moved me since Stakes Is High.

The new album is cool at best. Royalty Capes the easy standout. Whoodeeni is like the Rock Co.Kane Flow of this album. I'm surprised the 2 Chainz feature worked this well. Glad he brought that Tity Boi flow back. The songs with Little Dragon, Damon Albarn, David Byrne and especially Justin Hawkins just didn't work.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

FLUIDJ
Member since Sep 18th 2002
44616 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 07:51 AM

6. "Drawn (feat. Little Dragon) is thorough IMO. VERY THOROUGH!"
In response to Reply # 4

It holds it's weight well....I'd have expected it on a Little Dragon album...it's really a Little Dragon song feat. DeLa....

"Get ready....for your blessing....."

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 08:22 AM

8. "RE: Drawn (feat. Little Dragon) is thorough IMO. VERY THOROUGH!"
In response to Reply # 6

I think that's why I didn't care for it too much. Not enough De La.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 10:12 AM

16. "didn't Dave write/co-write 2 cuts for Nabuma Rubberband?"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Aug-26-16 10:14 AM by infin8

tryna get it poppin with Yuki?

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79589 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 08:22 AM

7. "AOI was booty... "
In response to Reply # 1

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 08:24 AM

9. "Shut up Dick Snot..."
In response to Reply # 7

SooperEgo
Charter member
11338 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 09:33 AM

12. "Oooh! You let him call you Arsenio! "
In response to Reply # 9

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79589 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 09:54 AM

14. "crocka!"
In response to Reply # 12

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 12:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Everything i heard before the album dropped sounded great"
In response to Reply # 0

but it is not a typical De La Soul sounding album. That will work for some, and it won't for other. But for die hard De La fans, "Royalty Capes" will definitely be a favorite.

FLUIDJ
44616 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 07:38 AM

5. "'Greyhounds' doe?....tight!! Usher back! between this & his new track"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-26-16 07:39 AM by FLUIDJ

Missing U ...he hungry...

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 09:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "It's ....... different. Weird. But I like a lot of it."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-26-16 09:26 AM by Brew

My main gripes are:

- Lord Intended: I hate the electric guitar. Not a good fit. Felt like it was a waste of some really good, aggressive lyricism
- Property of Spitkicker.com: pretty boring, don't hate it just didn't love it
- Snoopies & Drawn: the beats, once they picked up, were fire. Wish those parts were longer. I enjoyed David Byrne and Little Dragon's parts, but they both should have been WAY shorter to make room for the more upbeat parts and more lyrics from the guys
- Here In After - loved the concept and lyrics, but didn't love the Kings of Leon feel to the music

On a macro level my biggest complaint is NOT ENOUGH DE LA. And more specifically, not NEARLY enough Pos. Dave stole the show IMO during the minimal time either were actually rapping. As much as I enjoyed a lot of the album, I'm honestly kind of confused as to the direction they went with it. It's almost as if Dave and Pos took a *major* backseat on their own album. Almost none of the lyricism made me jump out of my seat, which is something I could always count on De La for.

My other complaint is one already lodged by someone in here, the overall mood is just too lowkey/somber. There were 2 or 3 songs that could be considered upbeat, but even those lacked any significant hype or excitement.

Otherwise, there's a lot to like here and I'll have to take some more time to take in the lyrics (in the minimal time they *did* spend rapping, there seemed to be tons of little wordplay gems to decipher which I'm excited about), I'm just surprised and a little disappointed with the overall tone and the lack of hard-hitting beats and lyrics.

PS - 2Chainz' verse is fucking fire !!

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Big Kuntry
Member since May 09th 2010
14866 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 09:24 AM

11. "this album is ridiculously boring..."
In response to Reply # 0

like j cole on nyquil & chill level of boring

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 09:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "Not my thoughts"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to sit with it a bit more. So far I LOVE "Property of Spittkicker". Roc destroys it.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Fri Aug-26-16 10:07 AM

15. "their debut was 27 years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

i didnt go into this expecting much, so Im not let down
with rare exceptions like Masta Ace and maybe Snoop, we have yet to see a 40+ year old drop a great rap album (Nas was 38 when Life Is Good dropped)
the 12 year gap between The Grind Date and this probably means they lacked inspiration, especially considering how much hip hop has changed over the years

Lobby General Discussion topic #13061777 Previous topic | Next topic